PDA

View Full Version : Four Players The Broncos Need To Re-Sign and The One That Slips Away

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 03:38 PM
As the 2013 regular season comes to an end and your Denver Broncos already have secured a first round bye in the playoffs, now is the time die hard football fans begin to recognize that certain players will be free agents to start the next league year.

As we saw in the defending Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens this year, letting go of so many players has been detrimental to the quality of the football team. The Ravens lost nine starters and were forced to rebuild this season and are now long shots to make the playoffs.

The Broncos have 16 players set to become free agents, let’s take a look at which players the Broncos should re-sign.

· Eric Decker, Wide Receiver

The Broncos should not hand Decker the five year 40+ million dollar deal that he will be looking for but instead, use the franchise tag on this touchdown machine. It wouldn't be wise to overload money on the receiver position when DT will need to be re-signed soon and Manning only has a year or so left. Keeping Decker around as long as Manning is around is a great investment though.

Career Stats (all with Denver)

218 receptions for 3,043 yards and 32 touchdowns.

· Shaun Phillips, Defensive End

Although Phillips is older, he was a great pass rush presence with Von Miller on the shelf due to suspension and continued the trend when Miller came back. Phillips has notched double digit sacks, showing he’s still got it. It doesn’t have to be a long term deal, but the Broncos should bring back Phillips.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://www.brandonspano.com/headlines.html?entry=four-players-the-broncos-need

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 03:42 PM
According to this article it will be Woody being the odd man out. Yes over Decker, Phillips, DRC or even Ayers.

Reason is? Well I don't think Woody is the answer in the middle at all and Trevathan and Irving have stepped up when given the chance. I know losing Woody would be a big loss but I think we can plug in Danny and Von next year but we could always draft a MLB or sign one.

I know a few on here will be upset at the very thought of that happening. But somethings got to give and someone will be the odd man out.

Que the Decker can go instead rants in 3....2...1....

Northman
12-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Would love to keep Woody but if he has to go he has to go.

pulse
12-30-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't think Denver will franchise Decker. That's $11 million against the 2014 cap. No, they'll try to resign him, but I'm sure Decker will get a better offer elsewhere and he'll probably take the money. Sure, it would be awesome if they could get him to stay for the right price. But Denver isn't exactly hurting at WR and it'd be a bad business decision to outbid other teams for his services if it comes down to that.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Interesting how he just left Moreno out of that. I would prioritize him over Ayers or Decker.

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Would love to keep Woody but if he has to go he has to go.

I don't want to see him go. But is there really that big of a drop off skill wise between Danny and Woody at WLB??? If not you have to go with the cheaper contract I would think. Our biggest need is a true MLB and Woody doesn't seem to be the answer there.

DRC and Decker are the two guys we need to sign first then look at Phillips and Ayers. I forgot about Chris Harris as well, his contract is also up this year. If Champ retires (I don't think he will) then I think that would allow us to keep both DRC and Harris.

Our current cap left for this year is between 6 and 7 mill. ALL of that can be rolled into next year. The cap also will go up to 126 or 127 mill a year per team.

topscribe
12-30-2013, 03:54 PM
The problem with losing Woodward became obvious when he was out with
his injury. The void was in the leadership, and it showed, in spades. Yes,
his talents can be replaced at MLB, but can his leadership? Remember what
happened to Denver's defense after Al Wilson made his exit? Sometimes
leadership is harder to replace than talent.

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Interesting how he just left Moreno out of that. I would prioritize him over Ayers or Decker.

Sadly, I think Moreno is sort of in the same situation. We have a rookie RB with a much lighter contract. It will depend on Moreno really if he wants to chase the money. He has been outstanding this year! But if he chases money then I think we will look for a bargain basement veteran RB.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Sadly, I think Moreno is sort of in the same situation. We have a rookie RB with a much lighter contract. It will depend on Moreno really if he wants to chase the money. He has been outstanding this year! But if he chases money then I think we will look for a bargain basement veteran RB.

I know running backs are easily replaced, but I think the way he fits into the passing game just makes him vital to this offense. Remember how ineffective our offense became when he went out in the playoffs last year? I think he would be a bigger loss than people realize.

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 04:00 PM
The problem with losing Woodward became obvious when he was out with
his injury. The void was in the leadership, and it showed, in spades. Yes,
his talents can be replaced at MLB, but can his leadership? Remember what
happened to Denver's defense after Al Wilson made his exit? Sometimes
leadership is harder to replace than talent.

Someone will have to step up here. Derek Wolfe is a guy that can fill that void.

I really wanted Vontaze Burfict a couple years ago. He was projected as a 1st round talent and ends up not even getting drafted but signed by the Bengals. Mike Mayock really was wrong on this one. Heck, I even wanted Manti Teo last year! We need this position fixed this offseason.....no exceptions here.....we must get it fixed.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Someone will have to step up here. Derek Wolfe is a guy that can fill that void.

I really wanted Vontaze Burfict a couple years ago. He was projected as a 1st round talent and ends up not even getting drafted but signed by the Bengals. Mike Mayock really was wrong on this one. Heck, I even wanted Manti Teo last year! We need this position fixed this offseason.....no exceptions here.....we must get it fixed.

As good as Burfict has been, I don't mind that Denver didn't take the risk on him. There is a reason he went undrafted. He was a total headcase in college and had red flags out the ass. Yes he has done a great job turning it around, but many with his red flags don't. I don't blame Elway one bit for staying away.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2013, 04:03 PM
A lot of speculation that Denver is going to have to choose between re-signing Decker this year or re-signing DThomas next year. Don't know how much is bought into that but Thomas is going to command elite money at this rate.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
A lot of speculation that Denver is going to have to choose between re-signing Decker this year or re-signing DThomas next year. Don't know how much is bought into that but Thomas is going to command elite money at this rate.

If that were the choice they would be moronic to choose Decker IMO. DT is worth every bit of that elite money he would get.

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
I know running backs are easily replaced, but I think the way he fits into the passing game just makes him vital to this offense. Remember how ineffective our offense became when he went out in the playoffs last year? I think he would be a bigger loss than people realize.

Moreno has really shined with Manning. I said at the beggining of the year that he was our best pass catching RB. That is what fits best in a Manning offense. I think Moreno in fact caught another TD yesterday from Manning.

Just from a cap perspective, someone is going to be the odd man out. No matter who it is, it's still going to sting a bit because these guys are all really good players.

I think you almost have to go with what position can be replaced easier. LB or RB I think is alot easier to replace that WR, DE ...let alone a solid CB.

The franchise tag might come into play with Decker.....I would be money he gets tagged if they can not negotiate a contract.

Northman
12-30-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't want to see him go. But is there really that big of a drop off skill wise between Danny and Woody at WLB??? If not you have to go with the cheaper contract I would think. Our biggest need is a true MLB and Woody doesn't seem to be the answer there.

DRC and Decker are the two guys we need to sign first then look at Phillips and Ayers. I forgot about Chris Harris as well, his contract is also up this year. If Champ retires (I don't think he will) then I think that would allow us to keep both DRC and Harris.

Our current cap left for this year is between 6 and 7 mill. ALL of that can be rolled into next year. The cap also will go up to 126 or 127 mill a year per team.

I love Woody's passion and aggressiveness. I just have to wonder what happened later in the year that got him benched. He was a fan favorite of mine the last couple of years but something happened and i dont know what. Overall we do need a MLB thats going to be the catalyst for future defenses so we will have to see where the draft takes us.

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 04:06 PM

We will pay it. Make no mistake, we will pay it for him. He is too big of a fish to let go. I think we franchise Decker this offseason and see what happens. The first contract will go to Thomas.

Mike
12-30-2013, 04:08 PM
DRC and Moreno would be my priorities. I would not overpay for Moreno though.

I think Decker will be out of Denver's price range.

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 04:16 PM
DRC and Moreno would be my priorities. I would not overpay for Moreno though.

I think Decker will be out of Denver's price range.

Which is why I think he could get the tag, at least to keep these guys all around 1 more year.

DRC, Decker, Phillips, Moreno and Harris are my choices to keep. That leaves Ayers and Woody. Two guys that are very solid.....not scrubs at all. In facy Ayers has really came into his own. He has been getting pressure on the QB and stuffing the run so losing him will hurt. Woody is our leader but like the article said, he will get paid but might be somewhere else.

This might be one of the toughest offseason to make such choices, at least from what I can remember. Most of these guys all started their careers here too.

But one lesson that NE should teach the teams that want to stay at the top. Never over pay players that are not a QB. They always know when to turn players and when to find a good deal. Look at what LaGarret Blount is doing now. Didnt they get that guy at a bargain? He had like 350 all purpose yards yesterday. We got McGahee at a bargain a few years back. If Moreno is too much to keep then so be it......I suspect Fox will look for another veteran late in the offseason.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2013, 04:18 PM
I agree about Dthomas.

I think they still try with Decker, they would be foolish not to try and make something work for both parties, but not at the expense of Thomas.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2013, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't at all be against franchising Decker as long as it doesn't create difficulty in getting some other areas shored up as well.

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 04:23 PM
I wonder what the cost of each franchise tag will cost the team if we go in that direction.

Would it just be cheaper to franchise Phillips or DRC?

Mike
12-30-2013, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't at all be against franchising Decker as long as it doesn't create difficulty in getting some other areas shored up as well.

I agree. Decker is a very good WR. I would love to keep him. But Denver has to fix it's LB and Safety positions while trying to keep DRC and Harris. I think Manning is good enough to get solid performance out of other WRs that addressing the defense will help the team more overall. However, overpaying for Decker (and I include tagging him in that) is just not worth it to help the team get better, IMO.

BroncoJoe
12-30-2013, 04:26 PM
I think Moreno will be back. There aren't many (IMO) options out there for him. Plus, if anyone will give a "home-town discount", it's him.

Ziggy
12-30-2013, 04:35 PM
I agree. Decker is a very good WR. I would love to keep him. But Denver has to fix it's LB and Safety positions while trying to keep DRC and Harris. I think Manning is good enough to get solid performance out of other WRs that addressing the defense will help the team more overall. However, overpaying for Decker (and I include tagging him in that) is just not worth it to help the team get better, IMO.

If Demaryius Thomas wasn't on the roster, I'd make Decker our #3 priority behind DRC and Harris JR. The Broncos need to keep an eye on the next year's class while spending money on this year's class as well. Take a look at that list.

Demaryius Thomas
Von Miler
Julius Thomas
Orlando Franklin
Rahim Moore
Terrance Knighton
Kevin Vickerson
Wes Welker
Aaron Brewer
Jacob Tamme
Joel Dreesen
Chris Harris if he signs a one year qualifying offer this season

Northman
12-30-2013, 04:42 PM

For me it depends.

If Manning is still here next year and doesnt retire and Deck wants the mother load than you let him walk. But, if Manning goes and Deck at least has a reasonable contract i say sign him back. Brock will need those guys around especially since he should have some familiarity with them.

dogfish
12-30-2013, 04:43 PM
sorry, decker's still the odd man out-- he's gone. . . that doesn't mean woody can't be the odd man out as well. . . no one is getting franchised, we won't have the cap space for it. . . sayin' it again-- i'm probably out of here in february, this place is going to be unbearable. . .

:defense:

Northman
12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
sorry, decker's still the odd man out-- he's gone. . . that doesn't mean woody can't be the odd man out as well. . . no one is getting franchised, we won't have the cap space for it. . . sayin' it again-- i'm probably out of here in february, this place is going to be unbearable. . .

:defense:

Quit whining bish.

CoachChaz
12-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Moreno was quietly 5th in the NFL in total yards from scrimmage and 4th in total TD's. In a pass-pass-pass-pass-run offense that has 4 Pro-Bowl level receivers...that's pretty good. I wouldnt be so quick to diminish what he means to this team now. Yes, Ball is looking better and may very well be capable of similar production, but if it's a team friendly deal...I try like hell to keep Moreno.

Also have to re-sign DRC. Harris proved he is a slot guy and while Kayvon showed signs of quality play...he isnt ready fro primetime just yet. Champ could come back in some sort of role, but he is going to have to take a pay cut...period.

I would definitely take Decker back, but I wouldnt pay him as a number one and wouldnt franchise him. At some point, we have to committ to DT and JT and we have to decide how it all fits together.

dogfish
12-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Quit whining bish.

don't make me pimp-slap you, bro montana. . . :laugh:

Slick
12-30-2013, 04:48 PM
All of this assumes that Manning comes back next year. What if he doesn't?

Ziggy
12-30-2013, 04:49 PM
For the 9 million we're slated to pay Champ and the 5 million we're slated to give Kuper, the Broncos should be able to retain both Harris and DRC with the right contracts.

CoachChaz
12-30-2013, 04:51 PM

I doubt he retires, but if he does...the whole landscape changes in what we can do in free agency. I dont know that I'd count on him giving up an easy $20 mil

CoachChaz
12-30-2013, 04:52 PM
For the 9 million we're slated to pay Champ and the 5 million we're slated to give Kuper, the Broncos should be able to retain both Harris and DRC with the right contracts.

Assuming we dump Champ

slim
12-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Didn't Kuper restructure at the beginning of this year? I don't think we owe him $5M next year.

slim
12-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Oh, no way they pay Decker what he can get on the open market.

Hawgdriver
12-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Moreno was quietly 5th in the NFL in total yards from scrimmage and 4th in total TD's. In a pass-pass-pass-pass-run offense that has 4 Pro-Bowl level receivers...that's pretty good. I wouldnt be so quick to diminish what he means to this team now. Yes, Ball is looking better and may very well be capable of similar production, but if it's a team friendly deal...I try like hell to keep Moreno.

Also have to re-sign DRC. Harris proved he is a slot guy and while Kayvon showed signs of quality play...he isnt ready fro primetime just yet. Champ could come back in some sort of role, but he is going to have to take a pay cut...period.

I would definitely take Decker back, but I wouldnt pay him as a number one and wouldnt franchise him. At some point, we have to committ to DT and JT and we have to decide how it all fits together.

Agree with everything except Kayvon not ready for primetime. Well, actually I agree with that too, but he's shown such an excellent learning curve, I say you let him fight through it.

CoachChaz
12-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Agree with everything except Kayvon not ready for primetime. Well, actually I agree with that too, but he's shown such an excellent learning curve, I say you let him fight through it.

I think he has definitely looked good at times. I think he's going to be a pretty good CB once he's more polished.

G_Money
12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Decker is gone. I just don't see a way around that, unless he signs some ridiculously team-friendly deal (Jordy Nelson type thing) and he doesn't have to do that now. Someone WILL give him a chunk of change. It won't be us.

Woodyard might also be out, though we'd better find a defensive leader to replace him if that's the case. Trevathan isn't that guy, neither is Irving or Miller. So you either draft your leader or add him Dawkins-style. Hard to be a rookie leader...

I'd prefer to keep Woody, move him back to Will, draft a Mike, and play Trevathan on more passing downs depending on who that Mike is. No telling when Von is gonna be back on the field and being effective again anyway, so keeping both Woodyard and Trevathan makes sense to me. No need to weaken the LB corps unnecessarily.

DRC needs to stay, even if we do draft a corner. Champ probably has to go, and if we win the SB he might just call it a career. We can keep most of the people we need to keep, but Decker and probably Beadles are likely outta here. I expect to draft their replacements.

~G

Slick
12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I doubt he retires, but if he does...the whole landscape changes in what we can do in free agency. I dont know that I'd count on him giving up an easy $20 mil

If he wins the trophy you couldn't write a better script. Breaks all those records and retires as possibly the best ever.

dogfish
12-30-2013, 05:08 PM

he's already said that winning another one wouldn't make him want to retire, and that he doesn't plan to retire until he can't play at a high level any more. . . he'll be back. . .

CoachChaz
12-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Decker is gone. I just don't see a way around that, unless he signs some ridiculously team-friendly deal (Jordy Nelson type thing) and he doesn't have to do that now. Someone WILL give him a chunk of change. It won't be us.

Woodyard might also be out, though we'd better find a defensive leader to replace him if that's the case. Trevathan isn't that guy, neither is Irving or Miller. So you either draft your leader or add him Dawkins-style. Hard to be a rookie leader...

I'd prefer to keep Woody, move him back to Will, draft a Mike, and play Trevathan on more passing downs depending on who that Mike is. No telling when Von is gonna be back on the field and being effective again anyway, so keeping both Woodyard and Trevathan makes sense to me. No need to weaken the LB corps unnecessarily.

DRC needs to stay, even if we do draft a corner. Champ probably has to go, and if we win the SB he might just call it a career. We can keep most of the people we need to keep, but Decker and probably Beadles are likely outta here. I expect to draft their replacements.

~G

We could always bring Caldwell back cheap. I thought he filled in very nicely the last few games

G_Money
12-30-2013, 05:18 PM
We could always bring Caldwell back cheap. I thought he filled in very nicely the last few games

Caldwell is serviceable. I like having him in the mix. I dunno that we even spend that early a pick to replace Decker, given that fact. When they double team DT, is there a receiver who can make a 3rd and 6 catch and move the chains? That's what we're looking for. Runs good routes, has good hands and toughness. I like a guy like Abbrederis for that: does several things well, nothing outstanding, but just makes things happen. Players make plays.

I expect us to grab a receiver like that in the 3rd, maybe 4th if Decker is gone and Caldwell is back.

~G

Slick
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
he's already said that winning another one wouldn't make him want to retire, and that he doesn't plan to retire until he can't play at a high level any more. . . he'll be back. . .

I hope so. Losing him is going to suck.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM

If we win the SB, I couldn't care less if Manning retires or not. I will be completely satisfied with his time here.

dogfish
12-30-2013, 05:22 PM

badly. . . as well as he's playing right now, i do think we've got a few years. . . which does put a strain on our salary cap-- elway's going to have to keep drafting well. . .

Slick
12-30-2013, 05:27 PM
If we win the SB, I couldn't care less if Manning retires or not. I will be completely satisfied with his time here.

So you enjoyed the QB play in Denver post Elway pre Manning? Not me. If Oz turns into our Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers then I agree.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2013, 05:29 PM
You guys think 2014 is bad, 2015 is devastating.

Von
D. Thomas
J. Thomas
Welker
both Big Vick and Knighton
Rahim Moore
Orlando Franklin

and several others

G_Money
12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
We're paying DT most likely. Welker might retire. Vick might never play again effectively (dislocated hips on 350 pound human beings rarely stay put once they start coming out). Rahim Moore might not ever be effective again, let alone command the sort of price to be worried about in FA. And Franklin plays the affordable side of the OT split.

So really what you're saying is, we need not to count on several of those folks in 2014, let alone 2015. Gonna be a big offseason. :) Hopefully it's as the Super Bowl winners, and we'll have our trophy to console us if things don't go as planned.

~G

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 05:46 PM
So you enjoyed the QB play in Denver post Elway pre Manning? Not me. If Oz turns into our Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers then I agree.

I just want to see Denver win one title in my adult life. I was a kid during the first two, so they didn't really have the same impact. If we can just get one, I'll be ok with being mediocre for a while after that.

slim
12-30-2013, 05:48 PM
I just want to see Denver win one title in my adult life. I was a kid during the first two, so they didn't really have the same impact. If we can just get one, I'll be ok with being mediocre for a while after that.

Screw that. back-to-back-to-back.

TXBRONC
12-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Montee Ball seems to have caught on and with his emergence I don't know if Moreno will be a top priority. I think much will depend on what kind of price tag he comes with. Replacing Decker is much more difficult than replacing Moreno. I don't think Philips is a top priority either. They might like to keep him around but I would not be surprised if Denver looks get younger at defensive end. DRC would be one of my main priorities.

Ziggy
12-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Montee Ball seems to have caught on and with his emergence I don't know if Moreno will be a top priority. I think much will depend on what kind of price tag he comes with. Replacing Decker is much more difficult than replacing Moreno. I don't think Philips is a top priority either. They might like to keep him around but I would not be surprised if Denver looks get younger at defensive end. DRC would be one of my main priorities.

Montee has been everything they drafted him for in the last 3 weeks. Still, you can't replace Knowshon's heart and hunger. Ball has a ways to go in pass blocking too. I think Knowshon comes back if he's willing to sign a sensible contract. I don't think that he gets anywhere near top RB starters money from us or any other team.

claymore
12-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Hell yeah.

pulse
12-30-2013, 06:31 PM

Regardless if the Broncos win a Super Bowl, Manning, if healthy, will play at least through the 2015 season. There's nothing about his game that looks like he's past his prime. If anything, he's playing better right now than he has his entire career. Granted, he may not have the arm strength he had when he was 30, but he certainly appears to have a stronger arm than at any point since his neck injury during the 2010 season. Has anybody noticed some of those darts he's thrown through the second half of this season? You just know he's continued to work on that aspect of his game. The man is OCD about his play. He's also shown amazing touch on his deep ball and he's just as accurate as he has ever been. The improvement in his game seems to be in his patience with this offense. He's still human and makes mistakes, but he is wiser than ever. I know he doesn't necessarily play for records, but he'll continue playing as long as he has a winning team around him. Though it's realistic that he'll eventually show some decline in a few years, I still think he'll have the numbers to pass Favre as the alltime yards leader, and barring the results of this year's playoffs, he may have a strong desire to win more than one Super Bowl as the QB of the Denver Broncos. He may even play out the entirety of his contract.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 07:00 PM

Meh, that would be great, but just one would satisfy me. I'm really, really trying to be so emotionally invested in the results of sporting events. I've done a good job overall, but the Broncos still do it to me. If we can get a title I think that will satisfy me as a fan for quite a while.

MOtorboat
12-30-2013, 07:57 PM
I might go ballistic if they don't retain Demaryius Thomas.

Captain Speardog
12-30-2013, 11:03 PM
As the 2013 regular season comes to an end and your Denver Broncos already have secured a first round bye in the playoffs, now is the time die hard football fans begin to recognize that certain players will be free agents to start the next league year.

As we saw in the defending Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens this year, letting go of so many players has been detrimental to the quality of the football team. The Ravens lost nine starters and were forced to rebuild this season and are now long shots to make the playoffs.

The Broncos have 16 players set to become free agents, let’s take a look at which players the Broncos should re-sign.

· Eric Decker, Wide Receiver

The Broncos should not hand Decker the five year 40+ million dollar deal that he will be looking for but instead, use the franchise tag on this touchdown machine. It wouldn't be wise to overload money on the receiver position when DT will need to be re-signed soon and Manning only has a year or so left. Keeping Decker around as long as Manning is around is a great investment though.

Career Stats (all with Denver)

218 receptions for 3,043 yards and 32 touchdowns.

· Shaun Phillips, Defensive End

Although Phillips is older, he was a great pass rush presence with Von Miller on the shelf due to suspension and continued the trend when Miller came back. Phillips has notched double digit sacks, showing he’s still got it. It doesn’t have to be a long term deal, but the Broncos should bring back Phillips.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://www.brandonspano.com/headlines.html?entry=four-players-the-broncos-need

The franchise tag on Decker means that you have to pay him the top five average of WRs. That would kill Denver's cap. I would be happy if Decker signed a 5 year $40 million deal. Hell Welker is getting $5 million per season. Decker is younger, better and home grown. If Denver can lock him up at $40 M they just need to do it.

TXBRONC
12-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Montee has been everything they drafted him for in the last 3 weeks. Still, you can't replace Knowshon's heart and hunger. Ball has a ways to go in pass blocking too. I think Knowshon comes back if he's willing to sign a sensible contract. I don't think that he gets anywhere near top RB starters money from us or any other team.

Ball's pass blocking has gotten better over the past several weeks. There might not be another team that would willing to give top dollar for his position but you never know. I'm not saying Denver should just let him walk but what I am saying is that the very top of the priority list. Also if he did get away I don't think it would be as devastating as losing Decker. Decker isn't a number one receiver but he still very good. Recievers generally develop a little slower than running backs.

dogfish
12-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Regardless if the Broncos win a Super Bowl, Manning, if healthy, will play at least through the 2015 season. There's nothing about his game that looks like he's past his prime. If anything, he's playing better right now than he has his entire career. Granted, he may not have the arm strength he had when he was 30, but he certainly appears to have a stronger arm than at any point since his neck injury during the 2010 season. Has anybody noticed some of those darts he's thrown through the second half of this season? You just know he's continued to work on that aspect of his game. The man is OCD about his play. He's also shown amazing touch on his deep ball and he's just as accurate as he has ever been. The improvement in his game seems to be in his patience with this offense. He's still human and makes mistakes, but he is wiser than ever. I know he doesn't necessarily play for records, but he'll continue playing as long as he has a winning team around him. Though it's realistic that he'll eventually show some decline in a few years, I still think he'll have the numbers to pass Favre as the alltime yards leader, and barring the results of this year's playoffs, he may have a strong desire to win more than one Super Bowl as the QB of the Denver Broncos. He may even play out the entirety of his contract.

honestly, i fully expect him to. . . with the exception of the nerve problem, he's been the definition of an ironman. . . you know he has the best dieticians and trainers money can buy, and he relies more heavily on his intellect and preparation than his physical skills anyway. . . favre played past forty-- barring unforseen issues, i think manning plays at least that long. . . he's a historian of the game, the all-time QB numbers mean something to him, even if he wouldn't admit it. . . he loves the game like no other. . . even said this year that he still loves to practice, something most young guys don't even enjoy. . .

I might go ballistic if they don't retain Demaryius Thomas.

i wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. . . i can't see any scenario where he isn't our top priority to retain-- yes, even over von miller. . .
[edit] unless he somehow comes back and looks like 2012 von for most of the season, but i really don't expect that. . .

DenBronx
12-31-2013, 12:55 AM
If given a choice between Von Miller and DT we will certainly go Von Miller. Miller is an absolute freak on defense and this was John Elways very first pick, ever! Somehow I don't think it will ever get to this. Miller should come slightly cheaper now. His off field problems and now his latest injury will deffinitely come up...even if he plays a full year healthy next year.

Manning makes even average WRs look super human. We do however have elite WRs, which is why Manning looks better than he ever has.

Rumor was the surgeries that Manning had made him better. I believe it was DT who said he felt Manning gained zip over the offseason. The game against the raiders....even the last game of the year Mannings throws looked really really good! No ducks that game.

nevcraw
12-31-2013, 01:33 AM
I think woody is gone as is Moreno. Time to for Elway to rethink his stance on 'MLB is fill in type player' and draft one. Decker is really good to great in Denver but overpaid player somewhere else. let him test the waters but gut says he is back. Hate to say it but the Von injury and suspension bought the broncos 2 years on him. which is really good. DRC is a must resign and he may be the only guy to give them a home team discount. he was as good as dead prior to this season. and he knows it.

DenBronx
12-31-2013, 02:43 AM
Had Moreno been playing at this level for more than this year then a big payday would have been justifiable. Been looking at a few articles on all of the top FAs of 2014 today and it seems like they are all rating Knowshon above MJD. That means he will get alot of looks on the market. Not worried because RBs are not really getting paid as of late.

Woody not playing at the level we have seen him play at once he switched to MLB is also a concern. Danny T taking over for him and not missing much of a beat will make Woody expendable. Actually, Woody might have a hard time commanding top $ on the market. Our defense has been really suspect at times. Had Shanahan stayed in WAS then I think that might have been a place for him to land, not now. Brian Orakpo is a FA. Brandon Spikes and Karlos Dansby lead the way for ILBs on the FA market.

Out of the guys we do have I think at least TWO of them are going to take a bargain contract to stay here. Not so you say? Remember several guys that we got last season all played very well but wernt getting a ton of offers. Some of them took bargain deals just to come here. If it happened last year then it can happen again. Elway has a way of doing that. DRC isnt one of the guys I think that will take a bargain type contract but maybe Harris or Phillips will.

Deckers going to get a ton of looks. I still say we will franchise him b/c the market might be too big and our only option to keep this offense together, at least for ONE more year is to tag him. There is also another tag where we have first right to match any offer Decker has accepted. If we choose not to I think we get draft choice. Can anyone clarify that?? I think it's called a 2nd round tender? So two options for Decker if he doesnt accept Elways first offer, either 2nd round tender him or franchise tag him.

I think DRCs fate will depend on what happens with Champ. If he retires then we have money to play with. If we release Champ then I think there is alot of dead money there. If Champ takes less then that is the perfect scenario. I want Champ to go out on his terms though. He has been nothing but a class act here and I want the guy to get a ring.

Ziggy
12-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Had Moreno been playing at this level for more than this year then a big payday would have been justifiable. Been looking at a few articles on all of the top FAs of 2014 today and it seems like they are all rating Knowshon above MJD. That means he will get alot of looks on the market. Not worried because RBs are not really getting paid as of late.

MJD is a more talented back that has been proven numerous times that he can carry an offense on his own as much as just about any back in the NFL. He's also 2 years older than Moreno and has more than twice the touches. That's twice the wear and tear on his body and it's starting to show with injuries. At this point, I think Moreno might be a better gamble at a cheaper price.

TXBRONC
12-31-2013, 09:50 AM

Woody not playing at the level we have seen him play at once he switched to MLB is also a concern. Danny T taking over for him and not missing much of a beat will make Woody expendable. Actually, Woody might have a hard time commanding top $ on the market. Our defense has been really suspect at times. Had Shanahan stayed in WAS then I think that might have been a place for him to land, not now. Brian Orakpo is a FA. Brandon Spikes and Karlos Dansby lead the way for ILBs on the FA market.

Out of the guys we do have I think at least TWO of them are going to take a bargain contract to stay here. Not so you say? Remember several guys that we got last season all played very well but wernt getting a ton of offers. Some of them took bargain deals just to come here. If it happened last year then it can happen again. Elway has a way of doing that. DRC isnt one of the guys I think that will take a bargain type contract but maybe Harris or Phillips will.

Deckers going to get a ton of looks. I still say we will franchise him b/c the market might be too big and our only option to keep this offense together, at least for ONE more year is to tag him. There is also another tag where we have first right to match any offer Decker has accepted. If we choose not to I think we get draft choice. Can anyone clarify that?? I think it's called a 2nd round tender? So two options for Decker if he doesnt accept Elways first offer, either 2nd round tender him or franchise tag him.

I think DRCs fate will depend on what happens with Champ. If he retires then we have money to play with. If we release Champ then I think there is alot of dead money there. If Champ takes less then that is the perfect scenario. I want Champ to go out on his terms though. He has been nothing but a class act here and I want the guy to get a ring.

I don't know if Denver has to tie DRC's fate to what happens with Bailey. It's possible a deal can be worked out with DRC regardless of what happens with Bailey.

TXBRONC
12-31-2013, 09:56 AM
I think woody is gone as is Moreno. Time to for Elway to rethink his stance on 'MLB is fill in type player' and draft one. Decker is really good to great in Denver but overpaid player somewhere else. let him test the waters but gut says he is back. Hate to say it but the Von injury and suspension bought the broncos 2 years on him. which is really good. DRC is a must resign and he may be the only guy to give them a home team discount. he was as good as dead prior to this season. and he knows it.

I think the Broncos will make an offers to Moreno and Woodyard but I don't expect them to break the bank on either one of them.

BroncoNut
12-31-2013, 10:01 AM

on a side note, I like what we have in Ball and Moreno. power punch double whammy. I say we roll with this machine into 2014 and beyond.

woodyard's got to be on the top of that list of keepers. He's definitely made an impact at the position and is sorely missed when absent. I like our quick linebacking core. to fool with it is to invite disaster. I like Decker a lot, he can be tough as balls and clutch. not sure we can/should keep him for what he's going to demand. but he's upt in th etops on my list. now who are the other 13? Welker is one isn't he? I spose Clady is another.

chazoe60
12-31-2013, 10:04 AM
I wonder if Manning will restructure in order to help keep some of this talent together?

Northman
12-31-2013, 10:08 AM
I wonder if Manning will restructure in order to help keep some of this talent together?

Highly doubtful.

tomjonesrocks
12-31-2013, 10:39 AM
I think Moreno will be back. There aren't many (IMO) options out there for him. Plus, if anyone will give a "home-town discount", it's him.

Why would Moreno give a hometown discount? Denver hasn't exactly always been in his corner. He's earned his chance to cash in, and we know he rolls in a Bentley. Hometown discount--hah. I don't see him doing Denver any favors.

tomjonesrocks
12-31-2013, 10:44 AM

Oz has "system QB" written all over him. Not looking forward to getting to him at all.

Northman
12-31-2013, 10:57 AM
I dont think Oz is a system QB at all. Doesnt mean he will be good but he reminds me more of a Big Ben type of player which is very non-system like.

slim
12-31-2013, 11:01 AM
I think North is a system poster.

Northman
12-31-2013, 11:27 AM
I think North is a system poster.

Auto-System Response: Please exit thread and never come back.

nevcraw
12-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Why would Moreno give a hometown discount? Denver hasn't exactly always been in his corner. He's earned his chance to cash in, and we know he rolls in a Bentley. Hometown discount--hah. I don't see him doing Denver any favors.

poor poor Moreno while he was cashing that first rounder check for a few years before actually showing up to work.

NightTerror218
12-31-2013, 06:45 PM
I think decker will stay. Elway will want to keep offense together and decker was manning safety blanket at times.

Champ and kuper are as good as gone. Champ may stay u f major restructure of contract is done. Harris will not garnish major contract.

Moreno, DRC and Wood both made 3 mill this season.

Give Decker a $3 mill a year. DRC $4 MILL. And moreno $3. Cut kuper, give champ $2 mill. Put a high tender on harris and nacho. Holliday 1 mill and Philips 2 mill. Akl savings from bailey and kuper.

I rather have decker over welker. With his concussions and the fact he is 32 vs 26.

BroncoWave
12-31-2013, 06:47 PM
No way in the world we are getting Decker for 3 mil a year. That's a pipedream.

NightTerror218
12-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Next year we are currently sitting at 114 million cap spent including dead cap hits.

Slick
12-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Oz has "system QB" written all over him. Not looking forward to getting to him at all.

Too early to tell. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, he only started and played one year of college football. Hopefully we don't find out for a few years yet.

Also, Wave is right. 3 million a year for Decker? Pass that stuff over here, man.

NightTerror218
12-31-2013, 07:03 PM
No way in the world we are getting Decker for 3 mil a year. That's a pipedream.

Even at $5 still worth it.

I have every salary in excel right now. Playing wuth numbers. As long as we do nit spend bug in FA and resign we should have no problems.

I also am assuming that miller will be paid 10 mill and Thomas 12 mill. J Thomas will prob get 6 mill.

Slick
12-31-2013, 07:07 PM
Some team might go as high as 8 for Decker and it wouldn't shock me.

Simple Jaded
12-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Slowshon may have priced himself out of Denver's budget, his attitude would be harder to replace than his ability. He's actually been one of my favorite players this year but the Broncos have replaced Ryan Clady, Champ Bailey and Von Miller, it's laughable to suggest they couldn't replace Moreno.

DenBronx
12-31-2013, 11:09 PM

Wouldnt shock me if SD, KC or NE went for him.

DenBronx
12-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Slowshon may have priced himself out of Denver's budget, his attitude would be harder to replace than his ability. He's actually been one of my favorite players this year but the Broncos have replaced Ryan Clady, Champ Bailey and Von Miller, it's laughable to suggest they couldn't replace Moreno.

The question is where does Moreno rank in regards to his priority with the Broncos compared to the others that need to get signed over the next two years?

Moreno
Decker
Woody
DRC
Harris
Ayers
Phillips
Vickerson
Miller
DT
Julius
Knighton
Welker
Tamme
Dreesen
Franklin

DenBronx
12-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Demaryius Thomas is playing at such a high level that his contract will be absolutely insane.

Would it be wise to trade him while we can? Do we dare go there??? He will get us a 1st PLUS some....yet that creates an immediate solution to keep the rest of this team. Trade Miller or Julius???

No one wants any of these guys to leave but is it realistic to think ALL of these guys will remain Broncos? Why not get what you can in a trade if that isnt possible?

I doubt we trade any of the guys mentioned above but if we DO trade anyone I think it might be one of our DTs this offseason. Sly Williams is starting to turn it on and if either Vickerson or Knighton will command big money then we might have to turn one this offseason.

Simple Jaded
12-31-2013, 11:38 PM

Bailey will be in last year of his contract so dead money should be minimal to nothing.

Simple Jaded
12-31-2013, 11:39 PM
The question is where does Moreno rank in regards to his priority with the Broncos compared to the others that need to get signed over the next two years?

Moreno
Decker
Woody
DRC
Harris
Ayers
Phillips
Vickerson
Miller
DT
Julius
Knighton
Welker
Tamme
Dreesen
Franklin

Bottom, I'd sign Beadles over Moreno, and I can't stand Beadles.

chazoe60
01-01-2014, 10:02 AM
poor poor Moreno while he was cashing that first rounder check for a few years before actually showing up to work.

I don't understand why people say stuff like this. Knowshon when given opportunities has always showed he had this in him. Injuries and not being used correctly have been the roadblocks to him having this kind of season in the past.

He's always shown a fiery leadership that I've loved. IMHO if we voted on MVPs for the Broncos Knowshon would be easily in second place.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2014, 02:34 PM

Sorry Chaz but this is dead on, if Moreno wasn't a wasted pick he'd have never lasted long enough to be 2nd MVP. His fans should be thankful the Broncos showed as much patience.

All we need is just a little patience.

TXBRONC
01-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Demaryius Thomas is playing at such a high level that his contract will be absolutely insane.

Would it be wise to trade him while we can? Do we dare go there??? He will get us a 1st PLUS some....yet that creates an immediate solution to keep the rest of this team. Trade Miller or Julius???

No one wants any of these guys to leave but is it realistic to think ALL of these guys will remain Broncos? Why not get what you can in a trade if that isnt possible?

I doubt we trade any of the guys mentioned above but if we DO trade anyone I think it might be one of our DTs this offseason. Sly Williams is starting to turn it on and if either Vickerson or Knighton will command big money then we might have to turn one this offseason.

I don't think the Broncos should entertain trading away talented players just because they might they might be costly. Trading away a player like D. Thomas doesn't mean that Denver can find a player of equal talent. I don't if teams around the League see Vickerson and Knighton as elite defensive tackles also Vickerson will becoming off of significant injury so his options might be a little more limited than that of Pot Roast.

broncohead
01-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Champ is way over paid and we could save some young talent with a restructure. If he doesn't I wouldn't be upset to see him walk. Love champ but its about the team.

Northman
01-02-2014, 06:02 AM

According to that mailbag thread that Carol posted thats the going rate for a WR.

Hawgdriver
01-02-2014, 07:53 AM
I like Decker but not at $8m.

I'm normally an advocate of overpaying for system knowledge and reps. For you business types, the "goodwill" inherent in the operation.

But in this case, I think Decker's success is more a result of Manning's ability and sheer reps than it is Decker's eliteness.

I would love if he stayed, but my gut is that he can be replaced without suffering too much of a drop. Think about Julius Thomas. How many reps did he have with Manning prior to this year? Yes, JT is talented. But well-managed teams find talent cheap. Is JT a bad example? You tell me. The way I see it, Decker's stats pop off the chart, so he'll get paid, and he'll need to buy Peyton dinner for that.

OTOH, Decker is an elite player, and we are talking about the finest offense to ever take the field. You hate to mess with that. But my gut is that if you keep Manning and Gase you will continue to see similar offensive production.

Knowshon, however, will probably be undervalued. I wish they had stats that could show it better, but my gut is that his "per play effectiveness rate" is high. You know, something that factors in not missing assignments, catching passes thrown at you, and just knowing what you need to do to make that play a success. Not fumbling. On top of that, he holds himself accountable. He has found his leadership style. He complements Manning's cerebral persona with his fire and passion. I think he's a case where you need to properly value the stuff that doesn't jump off the page at you--stuff like Decker's 1,300 yards and 11 touchdown receptions.

DRC I just don't know. Don't overpay a guy based on one year. Especially a guy who is playing financially motivated football. A guy with a history. Those are the guys you find in FA. Not the ones you overpay. Still, he is playing at a high level and you would hope he would keep up that level of play in this town, this organization, even after a payday.

Woodyard needs to stay or they need to bring in a leader. Whoever said Dawkins is right. This defense has accountability issues and removing the only bona fide ballbuster won't help with that. I can't speak to the competence of his playmaking, but I'd weigh the leadership factor higher than the playmaking factor.

TXBRONC
01-02-2014, 09:27 AM
I like Decker but not at $8m.

I'm normally an advocate of overpaying for system knowledge and reps. For you business types, the "goodwill" inherent in the operation.

But in this case, I think Decker's success is more a result of Manning's ability and sheer reps than it is Decker's eliteness.

I would love if he stayed, but my gut is that he can be replaced without suffering too much of a drop. Think about Julius Thomas. How many reps did he have with Manning prior to this year? Yes, JT is talented. But well-managed teams find talent cheap. Is JT a bad example? You tell me. The way I see it, Decker's stats pop off the chart, so he'll get paid, and he'll need to buy Peyton dinner for that.

OTOH, Decker is an elite player, and we are talking about the finest offense to ever take the field. You hate to mess with that. But my gut is that if you keep Manning and Gase you will continue to see similar offensive production.

Knowshon, however, will probably be undervalued. I wish they had stats that could show it better, but my gut is that his "per play effectiveness rate" is high. You know, something that factors in not missing assignments, catching passes thrown at you, and just knowing what you need to do to make that play a success. Not fumbling. On top of that, he holds himself accountable. He has found his leadership style. He complements Manning's cerebral persona with his fire and passion. I think he's a case where you need to properly value the stuff that doesn't jump off the page at you--stuff like Decker's 1,300 yards and 11 touchdown receptions.

DRC I just don't know. Don't overpay a guy based on one year. Especially a guy who is playing financially motivated football. A guy with a history. Those are the guys you find in FA. Not the ones you overpay. Still, he is playing at a high level and you would hope he would keep up that level of play in this town, this organization, even after a payday.

Woodyard needs to stay or they need to bring in a leader. Whoever said Dawkins is right. This defense has accountability issues and removing the only bona fide ballbuster won't help with that. I can't speak to the competence of his playmaking, but I'd weigh the leadership factor higher than the playmaking factor.

Decker is worth $8 million dollars but I don't think he's going get paid that kind of money from the Broncos. I also don't think he's purely a product of repetition and playing with Manning. Pierre Garcon who played three of his first four seasons with Manning never 80 plus receptions, 1,000 yards receiving, and double digit touchdowns. Decker has done that both years he played with Manning. I used Garcon because he's probably seen as very similar to Decker ability wise. Again I don't think Denver will give him $8 million.

Before DRC went to the Eagles he was considered on better corners in the League. He won't get paid like Revis but he's going get a substantial raise whether it's Denver or some other team that gives it to him.

Woodyard was playing very well until he got hurt in the Dallas game. If accountability is an issue I don't know Woodyard figures to make that better. Even with him playing well the defense still struggled.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2014, 11:38 AM

I don't. He's showed to be "ok" for a play or two, but I would cry if we EVER had to rely on him being in the regular rotation.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Decker is worth $8 million dollars but I don't think he's going get paid that kind of money from the Broncos. I also don't think he's purely a product of repetition and playing with Manning. Pierre Garcon who played three of his first four seasons with Manning never 80 plus receptions, 1,000 yards receiving, and double touchdowns. Decker has done that both years he played with Manning. I used Garcon because he's probably seen as very similar to Decker ability wise. Again I don't think Denver will give him $8 million.

Seem that people have forgotten that Decker was a good WR even when Orton was throwing the ball. Not only has the QB throwing the ball increased (substantially), but Decker has grown and matured as a WR as well. It takes time for a WR to get the nuiances and adjust from the college game to the NFL. Decker has done that fantastically.

I think Decker as a #2 is as important to this offense than any other WR on the roster. DT isn't as good without Decker on the other side.

TXBRONC
01-02-2014, 12:01 PM
I don't. He's showed to be "ok" for a play or two, but I would cry if we EVER had to rely on him being in the regular rotation.

Caldwell is a 4th or 5th option for a reason if he became the second or third option on a regular basis that would be a huge down grade.

TXBRONC
01-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Seem that people have forgotten that Decker was a good WR even when Orton was throwing the ball. Not only has the QB throwing the ball increased (substantially), but Decker has grown and matured as a WR as well. It takes time for a WR to get the nuiances and adjust from the college game to the NFL. Decker has done that fantastically.

I think Decker as a #2 is as important to this offense than any other WR on the roster. DT isn't as good without Decker on the other side.

I disagree D. Thomas' would still put up huge numbers but the offensive as whole would suffer.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Caldwell is a 4th or 5th option for a reason if he became the second or third option on a regular basis that would be a huge down grade.

HUGE. That is why I can't think about letting Decker go. He makes DT better. At 6'5", running good routes and with good speed, he's a MAJOR problem for teams to deal with at the #2 spot. How many #2 corners can deal with a guy like Decker? Not many, which is why Decker is as important to this offense as any other WR, imo. We can replace a guy like Welker MUCH easier than we can Decker.

Moreno, as you have said, can't be a top priority in comparison to the others. Ball has already to shown to be as good of a runner, and pass blocking is something most RBs have to learn. Moreno is servicable, but he is slow. He's never going to break a long one and out-run anyone.

Champ is gone. THere is NO WAY we spend that kind of money for a CB that has barely seen the field all season long. We need to just cut him and save the cap space.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2014, 12:10 PM
I disagree D. Thomas' would still put up huge numbers but the offensive as whole would suffer.

I think Decker is a tougher #2 than Thomas is a #1. You take away the mis-match that Decker creates at the #2 position, and that allows teams to deal with DT.

Northman
01-02-2014, 12:15 PM

I dont think so to be honest. DT is good but nowhere the calibur player that Calvin Johnson is. Johnson gets doubled and tripled covered constantly and still makes plays despite not having any real #2 on the team. DT has the speed factor but that can only take you so far.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2014, 12:17 PM
I dont think so to be honest. DT is good but nowhere the calibur player that Calvin Johnson is. Johnson gets doubled and tripled covered constantly and still makes plays despite not having any real #2 on the team. DT has the speed factor but that can only take you so far.

He's not a Brandon Marshall, either. I like DT and certainly love his personality, but he just isn't that "dominant" guy that you "GO TO" when the crunch time is on. I mean, there are times when EVERYONE IN THE STADIUM knows that the QB is going to throw to Calvin or Marshall, and the defense STILL can't stop them. I never get that kind of feeling with DT. He's just not "that" guy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-02-2014, 05:02 PM
In all fairness, in the history of the NFL there has only been one Calvin Johnson. That doesn't reflect poorly on DT. DT is one of the elite receivers in the league. Me thinks some of you guys have unfair expectations. There are only a handful of guys in the league that are as good or better than DT, and Decker IS NOT one of them.

Northman
01-02-2014, 05:13 PM
In all fairness, in the history of the NFL there has only been one Calvin Johnson. That doesn't reflect poorly on DT. DT is one of the elite receivers in the league. Me thinks some of you guys have unfair expectations. There are only a handful of guys in the league that are as good or better than DT, and Decker IS NOT one of them.

Em no.

If your going to come out and say "well Manning makes Decker look great" and then not use the same logic for DT than your just being biased in your take. Larry Fitz prior to Palmer coming in has not looked ANYWHERE like the player we know him to be and Larry is CLEARLY on par with a guy like Johnson. While DT posses more talent and athleticism than Deck i have yet to see DT actually be the elite player you make him out to be. I mean, if you want to talk about unfair expectations, the fact that Deck has done what he has as a 3rd round pick is more than what anyone could of hoped for. But rest assured, if Deck bolts we will see how DT fairs when he cant take a 5 yd screen to the house every time he touches the ball.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Em no.

If your going to come out and say "well Manning makes Decker look great" and then not use the same logic for DT than your just being biased in your take. Larry Fitz prior to Palmer coming in has not looked ANYWHERE like the player we know him to be and Larry is CLEARLY on par with a guy like Johnson. While DT posses more talent and athleticism than Deck i have yet to see DT actually be the elite player you make him out to be. I mean, if you want to talk about unfair expectations, the fact that Deck has done what he has as a 3rd round pick is more than what anyone could of hoped for. But rest assured, if Deck bolts we will see how DT fairs when he cant take a 5 yd screen to the house every time he touches the ball.

I'm not really sure how this addresses what I said.

I never said, "Manning makes Decker look great", or anything close to that. Decker and DT had success before Manning, in fact in Tebow's last year in the last six games of the regular season DT led the league in receiving yards. He also led the league in receiving yards in the playoffs even though he only played in two games. So I guess you can't just say all these other people are making DT look good either.

Hawgdriver
01-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Decker is worth $8 million dollars but I don't think he's going get paid that kind of money from the Broncos. I also don't think he's purely a product of repetition and playing with Manning. Pierre Garcon who played three of his first four seasons with Manning never 80 plus receptions, 1,000 yards receiving, and double digit touchdowns. Decker has done that both years he played with Manning. I used Garcon because he's probably seen as very similar to Decker ability wise. Again I don't think Denver will give him $8 million.

Before DRC went to the Eagles he was considered on better corners in the League. He won't get paid like Revis but he's going get a substantial raise whether it's Denver or some other team that gives it to him.

Woodyard was playing very well until he got hurt in the Dallas game. If accountability is an issue I don't know Woodyard figures to make that better. Even with him playing well the defense still struggled.

Great points. I think the truth is in between our positions. Don't forget about Stokley. Manning really brought out his best--but no one would say Stokley should get a contract in the kind of ballpark we are discussing with regard to Decker.

Simple Jaded
01-05-2014, 10:23 PM
You can get both Jeremy Maclin and Kenny Britt on one-year-prove-it deals for $8 mil.

TXBRONC
01-05-2014, 11:46 PM
You can get both Jeremy Maclin and Kenny Britt on one-year-prove-it deals for $8 mil.

I would pass on both of those guys.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 12:21 AM
I would pass on both of those guys.

I think the Broncos will pass on both those guys. How bout Hakeem Nicks? He'll come cheaper than Pecker.

Hawgdriver
01-06-2014, 12:32 AM
I'd take Maclin in a heartbeat. He'd light it up with Manning. I'd be worried about Britt's history of malfeasance. Nicks would be fine if the price wasn't too high. DT and Nicks would be one of the all-time best tandems.

TXBRONC
01-06-2014, 12:33 AM
I think the Broncos will pass on both those guys. How bout Hakeem Nicks? He'll come cheaper than Pecker.

Nicks has somewhat the same problem that Maclin has he's missed games just about every he's been in the League. That said if Decker isn't retained Nicks might make a suitable replacement.

TXBRONC
01-06-2014, 12:36 AM
I'd take Maclin in a heartbeat. He'd light it up with Manning. I'd be worried about Britt's history of malfeasance. Nicks would be fine if the price wasn't too high. DT and Nicks would be one of the all-time best tandems.

Assuming Decker is gone if Denver wants a receiver similar in size and ability Nicks would be the guy. Maclin has talent but he misses way to much time for me confident that he wouldn't eventually breakdown at some point during the season.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 01:11 AM
You might have to outbid the Chefs for Maclin.

Hawgdriver
01-06-2014, 02:05 AM
Assuming Decker is gone if Denver wants a receiver similar in size and ability Nicks would be the guy. Maclin has talent but he misses way to much time for me confident that he wouldn't eventually breakdown at some point during the season.

Yeah, it's too bad about Maclin. Maclin is a smart dude without diva issues, and he's shown at times that he's a rare talent. I'd take the risk if the price was right.

Nicks probably got butthurt when Cruz landed his fat deal. He's the prototypical guy you grab for the one year "prove it" deal. We know he's elite talent.

When I think about it though, I'd still like to see Decker in orange and blue. Common sense says you don't mess with what works, and the offense this year was baller. Decker's size and hands helped with scoring.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Sign Maclin or Nicks and draft Martavis Bryant.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Yeah, it's too bad about Maclin. Maclin is a smart dude without diva issues, and he's shown at times that he's a rare talent. I'd take the risk if the price was right.

Nicks probably got butthurt when Cruz landed his fat deal. He's the prototypical guy you grab for the one year "prove it" deal. We know he's elite talent.

When I think about it though, I'd still like to see Decker in orange and blue. Common sense says you don't mess with what works, and the offense this year was baller. Decker's size and hands helped with scoring.

I agree, but I've resided to the idea that Decker will go to the highest bidder, which I doubt is us.

Ziggy
01-07-2014, 12:46 AM
Decker has earned himself a big payday. He's been all class since he's been here, so I'll root for him if he goes to any team outside of the AFC West when he's not playing the Broncos. It's going to be interesting to see just how good he is without Manning and DT on his team.

Captain Speardog
01-08-2014, 01:06 PM

No way that happens. Franchising Decker would cost over $10 million and then Denver would be faced with both Decker and Thomas being FAs next year.

Captain Speardog
01-08-2014, 01:09 PM
We all talk about losing these players like it is going to hurt, but remember other FAs would love to come to Denver, play with Manning and have a shot at a ring. As it is now Chris Harris is the only FA that is a must re-sign.

NightTerror218
01-08-2014, 01:25 PM
As poorly as defense has been I would not be surprised if a lot of them are allowed to walk in the next two years except a few.

CoachChaz
01-08-2014, 02:12 PM
We all talk about losing these players like it is going to hurt, but remember other FAs would love to come to Denver, play with Manning and have a shot at a ring. As it is now Chris Harris is the only FA that is a must re-sign.

Harris is an RFA that has proven the slot is the only place he can play. I dont see that as a "must".

If there is one "must" to re-sign, it has to be DRC. Dear God, what would our defense look like this year without him back there?

tripp
01-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Without trying to be a bit bitter about the whole deal, I think Decker is an average receiver. I'd be hard pressed to believe Decker is a 10 TD receiver without Manning. I think he'll go to another team, and he will get his pay day, but he will never live up to the expectations of the team signing him. He is a good 2nd string receiver to compliment a dominant #1 receiver, I don't think you could ever convince me he could ever be #1 go to receiver on any team and be productive.

EDIT: IMHO, there is a higher chance of us getting some bum off the street receiver who can catch 10 TD's as opposed to Decker going to another team and catching 10 TD's.

artie_dale
01-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Kno-Mo - Heard on ESPN radio that he is at the very top of the Giants' list of acquisitions this off season. I would miss him but Ball has ran so well in the latter part of this season that I'm confident he'll be the all purpose back we need him to be by the time next season begins.

Woody - The way Travathon has hit the ground running from the get go of the season and his ability to sit in the MLB spot and be productive, I too believe Woody is expendable. I like him and will miss him, but a Healthy Von Miller is more important to me. Irving too, though it took a little longer than I like, has been pretty significant these last few weeks.

Decker - I think if we have DT, Welker, and Julius, Decker is expendable. Keep in mind, Peyton Manning is going to take what teams give him and Andre Caldwell has been the game superstar a couple times because of it.

CoachChaz
01-08-2014, 02:39 PM
At the end of the day, out defense needs to improve if we are going to survive the 2014 schedule. If losing Decker and only scoring 30 a game instead of 40 is the cost to hold teams to 20 instead of 27...I'm all for it. We dont HAVE to have 4 elite receiving options to be successful. It's nice...but we have them now and still none of us have much faith in the defense to feel overly confident about our playoff/super bowl chances.

tripp
01-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Kno-Mo - Heard on ESPN radio that he is at the very top of the Giants' list of acquisitions this off season. I would miss him but Ball has ran so well in the latter part of this season that I'm confident he'll be the all purpose back we need him to be by the time next season begins.

Woody - The way Travathon has hit the ground running from the get go of the season and his ability to sit in the MLB spot and be productive, I too believe Woody is expendable. I like him and will miss him, but a Healthy Von Miller is more important to me. Irving too, though it took a little longer than I like, has been pretty significant these last few weeks.

Decker - I think if we have DT, Welker, and Julius, Decker is expendable. Keep in mind, Peyton Manning is going to take what teams give him and Andre Caldwell has been the game superstar a couple times because of it.

I agree with Woody and Decker, not really with Knowshon.

I do see Montee Ball becoming the eventual every down back, however, I don't think getting rid of Knowshon this year would make much sense for the development of Montee Ball and the protection of Peyton Manning. I would think differently if Montee Ball had been a consistent and reliable blocker and runner for a full year as the #1 back while Moreno took the back seat. My hand would really need to be forced to let go of Moreno after a break out year like this.

artie_dale
01-08-2014, 02:49 PM
I agree with Woody and Decker, not really with Knowshon.

I do see Montee Ball becoming the eventual every down back, however, I don't think getting rid of Knowshon this year would make much sense for the development of Montee Ball and the protection of Peyton Manning. I would think differently if Montee Ball had been a consistent and reliable blocker and runner for a full year as the #1 back while Moreno took the back seat. My hand would really need to be forced to let go of Moreno after a break out year like this.

To me, it depends on what Moreno and his agent think he's worth. His numbers demand big paycheck. His value to Peyton Manning demand big pay check. Moreno without Peyton Manning, may be a different story. IF we win the Super Bowl this year, I can easily see both Moreno & Decker being sought out by other teams that are willing to give them big pay checks. IF we do not win the Super Bowl this year, I can see the team considering keeping Moreno around, maybe for as long as Peyton is playing, to ENSURE consistency in that position to benefit Peyton Manning.

tripp
01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
To me, it depends on what Moreno and his agent think he's worth. His numbers demand big paycheck. His value to Peyton Manning demand big pay check. Moreno without Peyton Manning, may be a different story. IF we win the Super Bowl this year, I can easily see both Moreno & Decker being sought out by other teams that are willing to give them big pay checks. IF we do not win the Super Bowl this year, I can see the team considering keeping Moreno around, maybe for as long as Peyton is playing, to ENSURE consistency in that position to benefit Peyton Manning.

Fair enough, I can definitely see the playoffs having an impact on what kind of money these guys demand.

Decker for me is as good as gone. Unless there is a running back in the free agency that can give us the same kind of production in blocking and rushing for less money, I don't see how you don't keep Moreno. We cannot lose sight how iffy Montee Ball was at the beginning of the season and mid-way through the season and the only thing reliable in the backfield at that point was Moreno who carried the load. We need that veteran experience back there, especially since we are in a win now situation. If Brock Osweiler was our QB, I'd be OK with Moreno leaving.

Northman
01-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Without trying to be a bit bitter about the whole deal, I think Decker is an average receiver. I'd be hard pressed to believe Decker is a 10 TD receiver without Manning. I think he'll go to another team, and he will get his pay day, but he will never live up to the expectations of the team signing him. He is a good 2nd string receiver to compliment a dominant #1 receiver, I don't think you could ever convince me he could ever be #1 go to receiver on any team and be productive.

EDIT: IMHO, there is a higher chance of us getting some bum off the street receiver who can catch 10 TD's as opposed to Decker going to another team and catching 10 TD's.

Ill take that bet so as long as he doesnt end up playing for some shit QB. You wont find many receivers who dont excell under good-great QB's.

tripp
01-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Ill take that bet so as long as he doesnt end up playing for some shit QB. You wont find many receivers who dont excell under good-great QB's.

Unless he goes to Green Bay, New England, or New Orleans and unless I'm missing a team that has a first ballot HoF QB I don't think he can catch 10 Td's again. Other than that he ain't catching no more than 6 TD's.

EDIT: I also find it ironic and dumb of me to be bashing Decker while I'm wearing his Jersey in my Avatar haha.. ah well.

NightTerror218
01-08-2014, 03:51 PM
People seem to forget welker is short term on this team. He is 32 and concussions are becoming a concern.

And letting moreno go means a lot more carries for hillman or anderson. Which leaves us with very young backfield and no vets.

Woodyard imo is gone. He has been replaced by travathan. Harris could be gone if he tries to cash in on more money. Defense was bad. Drc only one worth keeping.

Northman
01-08-2014, 04:03 PM
People seem to forget welker is short term on this team. He is 32 and concussions are becoming a concern.

Yea, i really dont see Welker here next year.

tripp
01-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Take away the 2 concussions and I could. If I were him, I don't even think I would want to.

CoachChaz
01-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Life aint easy when you pay your QB 20 million

dogfish
01-08-2014, 04:17 PM

i think decker is 100% gone after this season. . . however, it's hardly fair to say he's not good enough to be a 10 TD receiver without peyton. . . dude caught 8 TDs his first year starting, with freakin' orton and tebow trying to throw him the ball. . . :lol:

dogfish
01-08-2014, 04:18 PM

past next year, you mean?

you started hittin' the sauce way too early if you think we're cutting him this off-season. . .

CoachChaz
01-08-2014, 04:24 PM
i think decker is 100% gone after this season. . . however, it's hardly fair to say he's not good enough to be a 10 TD receiver without peyton. . . dude caught 8 TDs his first year starting, with freakin' orton and tebow trying to throw him the ball. . . :lol:

Depends on where he goes. the teams with cap space and a need for a "top" WR are fairly limited.

Cleveland - Josh Gibson
Jax - Shorts, Blackmon
Buffalo - maybe
Miami - Just shelled out a ton to Wallace
Philly - Jackson and Riley

The next 2 are Carolina and GB, but signing Decker to a 10 mil deal would eat up almost all of what they have remaining. So...unless a team dumps a ton of money or EJ Manuel is the real deal...getting a big pay day on a competitive team may be difficult

Northman
01-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Take away the 2 concussions and I could. If I were him, I don't even think I would want to.

Its not just that but age in general is catching up with him. Denver also needs to think about its future going forward post Manning and Welk was really just a mercenary for hire to make a run. I just think his health has created a problem going forward in terms of whether or not we waste a roster spot on him.

Northman
01-08-2014, 04:35 PM

you started hittin' the sauce way too early if you think we're cutting him this off-season. . .

I think he is gone after this season honestly. Just a feeling.

NightTerror218
01-08-2014, 05:09 PM

I think he is gone after this season honestly. Just a feeling.

If he is that is more need for decker to stay.

Welker has had a good amount of concussions. I believe seattle gave him one as well last season.

Bosco
01-10-2014, 12:49 PM

This.

I'm not real worried about our ability to retain any of our core players.