PDA

View Full Version : Vikings interested in Del Rio and Gase

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Per Adam Schefter:

Denver coordinators, Jack Del Rio and Adam Gase, on Vikings' radar, per sources. Del Rio played LB for Vikings, Minn has inquired about Gase

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 09:33 AM
I have to say, it would surprise me if Gase got a HC gig this quickly. How much does he REALLY have to do with how good Peyton and this offense are? I would have thought our pathetic defense might have taken a bit of the shine off Del Rio, but I can still see the appeal in bringing in an experienced HC.

MasterShake
12-30-2013, 09:52 AM
I have to say, it would surprise me if Gase got a HC gig this quickly. How much does he REALLY have to do with how good Peyton and this offense are? I would have thought our pathetic defense might have taken a bit of the shine off Del Rio, but I can still see the appeal in bringing in an experienced HC.

It could all be a bunch of hot air, but the local sports radio out here is FILLED with players, coaches, etc. and even Manning himself being highly complimentary of Gase. Sounds like he is one of the few people that is nearly on equal footing with Manning in terms of offensive scheming and understanding of the game. I suppose the numbers this year back it up, and personally I think this is the most creative offensive schemes I have seen in this team since Shannahan's heyday.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 09:57 AM
It could all be a bunch of hot air, but the local sports radio out here is FILLED with players, coaches, etc. and even Manning himself being highly complimentary of Gase. Sounds like he is one of the few people that is nearly on equal footing with Manning in terms of offensive scheming and understanding of the game. I supposed the numbers this year back it up, and personally I think this is the most creative offensive scheme I have seen in this team since Shannahan's heyday.

That's a good point. If that is the case I would hate to lose him. I really feel like this year is going to be the best chance this core of players and coaches ever has to win the title. We're probably going to lose a good bit to free agency and possibly some of the best coaches behind the magic as well.

TXBRONC
12-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Dennis Allen was a defensive coordinator all of one year and he got the head coaching job with the Raiders so it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Gase get an offer.

Slick
12-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Are teams allowed to interview the Denver coaches over these next two weeks?

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Are teams allowed to interview the Denver coaches over these next two weeks?

I believe during the bye week you are allowed to interview coaches. After that, you have to wait until their season ends. I THINK that's how it works, but I could be wrong.

CrazyHorse
12-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Jack Del Rio for Jared Allen? Deal!

GEM
12-30-2013, 10:41 AM
We're in the middle of a Super Bowl run....get the **** out of here. I don't want these guys heads on some head coaching gig...I want it focused on what it needs to be...being 3-0 at the end of this ride.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 10:42 AM
We're in the middle of a Super Bowl run....get the **** out of here.

This happens to every team with a bye. Their coordinators are almost always interviewed during the bye week. That just comes with being a SB contender.

GEM
12-30-2013, 10:45 AM
This happens to every team with a bye. Their coordinators are almost always interviewed during the bye week. That just comes with being a SB contender.

I know....I just don't like it. I want our coordinators working on OUR team, not thinking about taking over someone else's team. Right now, they are under contract with us and that is what they should be focused on. The NFL should just put off this shit until after the season is over, don't think it's fair to the teams that are still in it to have to be taking the focus off and doing job interviews.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 10:48 AM
I know....I just don't like it. I want our coordinators working on OUR team, not thinking about taking over someone else's team. Right now, they are under contract with us and that is what they should be focused on. The NFL should just put off this shit until after the season is over, don't think it's fair to the teams that are still in it to have to be taking the focus off and doing job interviews.

Well that is an idealistic viewpoint, but these guys are human beings who want to advance their careers. I really don't blame any of them for interviewing during their bye week.

Now if you want the NFL to make it where teams can't interview anyone until after the Super Bowl, that is a separate discussion and it does have some validity to it. But given the way things are currently set up, I'm not going to fault a guy for taking every chance to advance his career. If they decide to be noble and be loyal to the Broncos during this run and not interview, those jobs could be filled by the time Denver's season is over and they miss their chance to be a HC. When it comes to your own career, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Slick
12-30-2013, 10:55 AM
I agree with Gem here. While you can never fault a coach for trying to move up the ladder career wise, the distractions aren't fair to the teams in the playoffs. I think the NFL should look into this.

What's the big hurry? It's not like these guys have to go recruit in the pros. Free agency is a long ways away at this point as well. Let the season finish, then start interviews. It would also give owners and GMs time to reflect and possibly make a better decision.

GEM
12-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Well that is an idealistic viewpoint, but these guys are human beings who want to advance their careers. I really don't blame any of them for interviewing during their bye week.

Now if you want the NFL to make it where teams can't interview anyone until after the Super Bowl, that is a separate discussion and it does have some validity to it. But given the way things are currently set up, I'm not going to fault a guy for taking every chance to advance his career. If they decide to be noble and be loyal to the Broncos during this run and not interview, those jobs could be filled by the time Denver's season is over and they miss their chance to be a HC. When it comes to your own career, you gotta do what you gotta do.

That's exactly what I just said. The NFL should have some rule that states that coaching interviews should wait until after the Super Bowl is played. That would be fair to the candidate and the team that already has them under contract.

Dapper Dan
12-30-2013, 11:00 AM
These guys are pretty good at what they do. Adam Gase won't be thinking about Minnesota when he's calling in the play while it's 3rd and 8. Same with Del Rio. They didn't get to where they are by being easily distracted.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Well, you could argue that making teams wait until Feb to hire a coach costs them a month of preparation for free agency and the draft that teams with a head coach could get a head start on.

GEM
12-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Well, you could argue that making teams wait until Feb to hire a coach costs them a month of preparation for free agency and the draft that teams with a head coach could get a head start on.

You could argue either way. Until the NFL makes a rules change, it is what it is. My original post states I don't like it...in the big scheme of things my opinion don't matter and neither does yours. It's discussion points on a message board...which is what the board is for...discussing opinions.

MileHighCrew
12-30-2013, 11:05 AM
hopefully they are in a hurry to hire and don't want to wait until we win it all

tripp
12-30-2013, 11:08 AM
None of these 2 coordinators have done anything in my mind to warrant a HC position. I'm just being honest. I have nothing against either of them, but this is Adam Gase's first year of being an OC, and his QB is Peyton Manning, who happens to be a QB/OC essentially. Our defense has been less than stellar this year, so I have absolutely no clue as to why Del Rio is even being looked at.

Mike McCoy made sense because he had to work with the likes of Tim Tebow and did a good job with the tools he was given. By all means Vikings, take Adam Gase, I'm not even sure what we're going to be missing considering it's Peyton calling the shots and teaching Adam how to call plays :/.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 11:11 AM
You could argue either way. Until the NFL makes a rules change, it is what it is. My original post states I don't like it...in the big scheme of things my opinion don't matter and neither does yours. It's discussion points on a message board...which is what the board is for...discussing opinions.

Um, yeah? I'm not really sure what I've said in this thread that made you feel the need to make this point.

I just disagree with your stance and gave my reasons why. That's ok, right?

Dapper Dan
12-30-2013, 11:16 AM
None of these 2 coordinators have done anything in my mind to warrant a HC position. I'm just being honest. I have nothing against either of them, but this is Adam Gase's first year of being an OC, and his QB is Peyton Manning, who happens to be a QB/OC essentially. Our defense has been less than stellar this year, so I have absolutely no clue as to why Del Rio is even being looked at.

Mike McCoy made sense because he had to work with the likes of Tim Tebow and did a good job with the tools he was given. By all means Vikings, take Adam Gase, I'm not even sure what we're going to be missing considering it's Peyton calling the shots and teaching Adam how to call plays :/.

I agree, mostly. I didn't like McCoy as much. I think Base could be a good head coach. It would benefit him to learn a little more, first. He's young.

GEM
12-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Um, yeah? I'm not really sure what I've said in this thread that made you feel the need to make this point.

As did I, but somehow it needed to become an argument. I wasn't trying to argue with you. But each time a discussion comes up, you get really argumentative trying to prove your point. I fully understand what you are saying and why the interviews happen, I don't need it spelled out for me. I don't agree with it.

Slick
12-30-2013, 11:18 AM

Out of curiosity, what exactly about her stance do you disagree with?

You think it's a good thing that other teams might be trying to poach Denver coaches before the biggest game of the season? I think everyone is in agreement that any coach deserves the chance to persue a promotion.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 11:21 AM
As did I, but somehow it needed to become an argument. I wasn't trying to argue with you. But each time a discussion comes up, you get really argumentative trying to prove your point. I fully understand what you are saying and why the interviews happen, I don't need it spelled out for me. I don't agree with it.

I'm sorry if that's how you interpreted it. Wasn't trying to start an argument, just providing reasons why the NFL might not change the way things currently are.

tripp
I agree, mostly. I didn't like McCoy as much. I think Base could be a good head coach. It would benefit him to learn a little more, first. He's young.

Adam Gase is 35 years old, hasn't even been an OC for a year. It just doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't bug me now since it's not my team, but I'd even take *gulp* Josh McDaniels over Gase, which isn't saying much. Like I said before I wouldn't even blink if Adam Gase left, I just can't tell how much was it Adam Gase's playing calling over Manning's.

Dapper Dan
All Gem pretty much said was "I don't like it". That could be taken several ways. I think it's possible that it was interpreted differently by different people.

Can we get back on topic now?

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Out of curiosity, what exactly about her stance do you disagree with?

You think it's a good thing that other teams might be trying to poach Denver coaches before the biggest game of the season? I think everyone is in agreement that any coach deserves the chance to persue a promotion.

The way she worded it in one post, she seemed to have an issue with the coaches not staying loyal to their contracts and interviewing with other teams during the playoffs. If I misread that I apologize, but that's how it came off to me.

Dapper Dan
12-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Adam Gase is 35 years old, hasn't even been an OC for a year. It just doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't bug me now since it's not my team, but I'd even take *gulp* Josh McDaniels over Gase, which isn't saying much. Like I said before I wouldn't even blink if Adam Gase left, I just can't tell how much was it Adam Gase's playing calling over Manning's.

I've noticed a big difference in play calling from last year to this. I like Gase more than McCoy. I believe the OC does more than we think, even with Manning. Obviously, there's a lot to being head coach. That's the tricky part.

tripp
12-30-2013, 11:29 AM
I've noticed a big difference in play calling from last year to this. I like Gase more than McCoy. I believe the OC does more than we think, even with Manning. Obviously, there's a lot to being head coach. That's the tricky part.

Just a thought, maybe the play calling was different last year because McCoy was adamant that Peyton would call his plays, and this year Peyton sat down with rookie OC in Gase and said, "this is what we do in Indy, I'm going to do it this way, I appreciate your input, and by all means tell me what you think we should do in certain situations, but when it comes to calling plays at the line of scrimmage, it's all me."

I think Gase will have the potential to be a great OC once it's all said and done and Peyton retires, because he will be taught how to call plays properly by Manning.

Slick
12-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Well one thing we know for sure, Denver has always let their assistants interview when a request is made. That is a respectable way to do business.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2013, 11:38 AM
I would rather lose Del Rio than Gase. Gase and Manning did some incredible things this year while the defense took a step back in the scheme they are running by playing a bend-but-don't break style. At the end of the day I hope we keep both.

Slick
12-30-2013, 11:43 AM
I would rather lose Del Rio than Gase. Gase and Manning did some incredible things this year while the defense took a step back in the scheme they are running by playing a bend-but-don't break style. At the end of the day I hope we keep both.

Also, I think Brock would benefit from having some continuity working with Gase. I agree. If we're going to lose a coordinator, I hope its Del Rio and not Gase although I hope they both stick around. We already know our roster is going to get raided in the off season.

GEM
12-30-2013, 11:44 AM
The way she worded it in one post, she seemed to have an issue with the coaches not staying loyal to their contracts and interviewing with other teams during the playoffs. If I misread that I apologize, but that's how it came off to me.

I said they shouldn't have to be thinking about that while under contract with us. They should be focused on our team as that is who has them under contract. My boss wouldn't appreciate me filling out applications and doing phone interviews for another job sitting at my desk in his office. It's not the coordinators I take issue with, it's that the NFL doesn't have a rule to stop it from happening.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2013, 11:44 AM
If we can win it all this year, it will be really interesting to see what the team looks like next season. A lot of guys will get big paydays comming to them and maybe a retirement or two.

Dapper Dan
12-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Just a thought, maybe the play calling was different last year because McCoy was adamant that Peyton would call his plays, and this year Peyton sat down with rookie OC in Gase and said, "this is what we do in Indy, I'm going to do it this way, I appreciate your input, and by all means tell me what you think we should do in certain situations, but when it comes to calling plays at the line of scrimmage, it's all me."

I think Gase will have the potential to be a great OC once it's all said and done and Peyton retires, because he will be taught how to call plays properly by Manning.

It sucks, because we really can't tell. Gase did install the pistol. The playcalling was way more aggressive. Like you said, that could have been either one to call it. Manning said something about learning new stuff or something like that.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 12:01 PM
I said they shouldn't have to be thinking about that while under contract with us. They should be focused on our team as that is who has them under contract. My boss wouldn't appreciate me filling out applications and doing phone interviews for another job sitting at my desk in his office. It's not the coordinators I take issue with, it's that the NFL doesn't have a rule to stop it from happening.

Fair enough. That's not how your first post came across to me. Thank you for clarifying.

Dapper Dan
It's nice that we have to worry about our coaches leaving because they are good instead of because they suck.

topscribe
I still believe JDR is a good DC and many of his problems came from the
ongoing upheavals among the defensive personnel. He showed last year
what his defense is capable of when it is stable.

However, I don't believe, from what I have observed, that he is an
especially good HC, and that he ought to stick with what he is good at,
which is, of course, defensive coordinator.

But I'm sure he will jump at another chance to be the overall boss. I hope
it will work out for him. I just have my reservations.

chazoe60
12-30-2013, 12:02 PM
If we lose Del Rio I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Leslie Frazier to replace him.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2013, 12:04 PM
For a dozen N.F.L. teams, the postseason is just beginning, with each playoff game a do-or-die battle to reach the Super Bowl.

For some of the 20 other teams, the off-season will be about firing their head coaches, general managers and staff, and finding replacements so they can quickly prepare for the league combine, draft and coming year.

This off-season, these teams will have additional help from the N.F.L. as they search for new leaders. In the fall, the league created a panel of former coaches, coordinators and general managers to compile a roster of top candidates for those positions. The panelists included the former general managers Ernie Accorsi and Bill Polian and the former coaches Tony Dungy and John Madden.

rest - interesting - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/sports/nfl-has-the-book-on-coach-and-executive-candidates.html?hpw&rref=sports&_r=0

CoachChaz
12-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Vikes can have Del Rio. I wouldnt mind the chance to pull a guy like Tomsula away from SF.

artie_dale
12-30-2013, 12:25 PM

My thoughts exactly. Gase can't be given that much credit for the offenses' success and Del Rio's stock definitely should have gone the wrong way with how the defense has played this season. BUT, if the Defense pulls it together and plays the way we all (well, some of us) believe they are capable of playing and this team wins a Super Bowl, I think Del Rio's stock will get back up there and teams will be justifiably interested.

camdisco24
12-30-2013, 12:44 PM
I think there is little to no chance Del Rio is back with us next season. Right now, many teams are looking for stability at HC, and with Del Rio's experience he is going to be a hot commodity.

Gase on the other hand?? Im a little suprised to hear his name in the mix. Still too young IMO, and selfishly, I want him back. Just this morning on the Fan they were discussing how dynamic Gase and Manning are together. I hope Manning really pushes Gase to stay a bit longer. Give the guy a raise and make him feel important. I dont want to see his talent rushed into a HC position. He will be a HC sooner than later.

Side note: The Browns have Joshy McDaniels on their short list... that poor fan base.... If they hire him, there are officially worse than the Raiders from a management standpoint.

Buff
12-30-2013, 12:58 PM
There are too many openings and too few qualified candidates out there... I'd say it's a virtual certainty that we lose at least one of our coordinators.

Slick
12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
There are too many openings and too few qualified candidates out there... I'd say it's a virtual certainty that we lose at least one of our coordinators.

I agree, which is why I was bitching about it earlier. Let us go through the playoffs in peace. I think it is silly to discount the distraction this can cause to both the coaches and the players during this time of the year.

camdisco24
12-30-2013, 01:03 PM

Absolutely... And honestly, as that way our D played this year, how many of you would be upset to lose Del Rio?

Buff
12-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Absolutely... And honestly, as that way our D played this year, how many of you would be upset to lose Del Rio?

The thing about Del Rio is that as a former player and a seasoned coach, he commands respect in the locker room. I actually view him as a pretty solid coordinator. The issue is that I don't see him as an innovator or an outside the box thinker - I don't think he is dynamic enough to make is as a HC in this league. He is a Wade Phillips/Norv Turner type IMO.

That said - he would be an improvement over Leslie Frazier or Jim Schwartz, which is why he'll get consideration.

BroncoNut
12-30-2013, 01:13 PM
oh yeah? well last I heard they were taken. just best to keep walking you Norwegian faggots

tripp
12-30-2013, 01:48 PM
The thing about Del Rio is that as a former player and a seasoned coach, he commands respect in the locker room. I actually view him as a pretty solid coordinator. The issue is that I don't see him as an innovator or an outside the box thinker - I don't think he is dynamic enough to make is as a HC in this league. He is a Wade Phillips/Norv Turner type IMO.

That said - he would be an improvement over Leslie Frazier or Jim Schwartz, which is why he'll get consideration.

What has Del Rio done in his years as the Jags coach, and DC for the Broncos to warrant a HC job over Frazier and Schwartz?

Dzone
12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Oh crap, Browns looking at Gase..someone start a thread
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24816612/browns-inquire-about-broncos-coordinator-adam-gase-head-coach-job

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 02:12 PM
I can definitely see why Gase is getting looks. Manning has always been great, but he just had the greatest season in the history of the position. Gase had to have had at least a little something to do with that.

Ziggy
12-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Gase has gotten the most out of the talent that he has to work with. Del Rio hasn't. That's one reason I'd rather see Del Rio leave out of the two of them. The other reason is that Manning's retirement decision may be affected by having to work with a new coordinator, especially after he wins the ring this season. I want the guy back for another season.

Our defensive personnel might be better suited for a 3-4 defense right now anyway. Pot Roast is the perfect 3-4 NT, which is hard to come by. Wolfe, Jackson, and Sly are all great fits at DE in a 3-4. Von is a perfect 3-4 rush LBer. Trevathan can play any LBer position in either scheme. The only bad fit is Woody because of his size, and he might be gone anyway. Irving might be best suited as a 3-4 ILB. If Del Rio goes and the Broncos bring in a 3-4 guy, we might just see a dominant D again.

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Manning with McCoy looked good...good as in we did enough to go 13-3 but sometimes alot of us had WTF moments with his play calls.

But Manning with Gase looks scary good.

Gase said in the offseason that he wants to be aggressive with his play calling. Clearly we see him doing just that. He will probably be a HC this year which sucks. IMO, it's still a little too early for him. He will end up at a place like the Browns or Tampa and have no QB......which will deffinitely not get the same results.

If we had to lose Gase or Del Rio then I would hope we manage to keep Gase. Del Rio has had his ups and downs but still a solid DC. The worst thing we can do it get another DC that wants to change everything up again. We did that year after year and our guys couldnt grow into the system, it just kept changing every year. Give Del Rio a few more pieces to the puzzle and our D is going to look better.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 44m

#Broncos would have to allow Adam Gase to interview for a head coaching job if he chooses ... but Gase could decline offers to interview.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2h

Not surprising Adam Gase's name already coming up as a hot coaching candidate. Don't see him jumping for just any job though.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 54m

Adam Gase is deserving of a head coaching gig. Just ask anybody in the business about his football acumen. Wise beyond his years. And mature

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

Even if Del Rio or Gase choose to interview for one of these gigs, a deal could not be signed until season is over.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

UPDATE: Teams with bye are required to make coaching candidates available for interviews this week. Candidate's choice.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 2h

Still waiting for confirmation to see if Broncos will allow their coordinators to interview for HC jobs this week.

BroncoNut
12-30-2013, 02:59 PM
I will fight for Del Rio, but bring in Jon Gruden

topscribe
12-30-2013, 03:03 PM
I don't think Gruden would accept anything but a HC job. In that case, I would fight for Fox. ;)

G_Money
12-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Adam Gase - 2 years as a wide receivers coach, 2 years as a QB coach/waterboy, a 1-year apprenticeship running an offense at Manning's command, and now head coach at age 35?

Yeesh. Good luck with that, whomever would hire him. I think he mixes very well with Manning, but running an entire organization is different than giving Manning feedback on which plays you think he might want to lean harder on when he's audibling out of whatever you called originally.

I said when McCoy left that he might do better as a head coach because, unlike most coordinators who get that job he's actually not the best at it. He could run the org and hire a better OC than himself to direct the offense. And he did (I like Whisenhunt), and the Chargers made the playoffs. I dunno if Gase has the league connections to put the necessary staff together to make sure he doesn't hurt himself, though.

The Browns just hire people in order to fire em, though, so I guess he'd go in knowing that... right?

I like Del Rio, but it's still Fox's defense with Del Rio's preferences accomodated. We could lose Jack and keep defensive continuity. The offense is obviously Manning, so losing Gase is like losing the whipped cream on top of a shake, but Manning won't be here forever. Be nice if we could keep some remnant of this offense after him.

Of course, with how Oz looked trying to run it with Manning out... yeah. Might be trouble. A problem for a different year.

~G

Broncolingus
12-30-2013, 03:20 PM
I would like to see both stay...

...I don't believe Denver is particularly 'talent-laden' in the defensive front seven - in fact, I think they're pretty average there which I think has been the biggest issue on defense this season.

While I also don't think either is the best coach ever at the position, I think they're above average and about as good as we can get...

I also don't like continually cycling through new OCs & DCs every 1-3 years...

...keep 'em around.

JMO...

Buff
12-30-2013, 03:21 PM
What has Del Rio done in his years as the Jags coach, and DC for the Broncos to warrant a HC job over Frazier and Schwartz?

He has behaved like a leader. For all their qualifications, Schwartz is a hothead and Frazier is on the other end of the emotional spectrum... Players seem to like playing for Del Rio.

Being a head coach in the NFL is like 30% X's and O's and 70% management and leadership. Coordinators do the gameplanning, coaches do the leading.

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Good point G. The offense did look alot differant with Oz in and Manning out.

Can we all just agree that Manning IS the OC?

Dapper Dan
12-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Good point G. The offense did look alot differant with Oz in and Manning out.

Can we all just agree that Manning IS the OC?

Of course it looks different. The guy hasn't played a full regular season game. I believe it's more difficult on a quarterback to take over in the middle of a game. Other than that, he mostly has 4th quarter kneels and hand offs.

pulse
12-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Adam Gase will make for a good head coach, but I think he needs a few more years as a coordinator. Perhaps he would be an over-nite success in Detroit because they already have the pieces in place to be a playoff team next season. But turning Cleveland into a playoff team is going to take more than a few seasons and their ownership seems too impatient, regardless of who they have as head coach. He would be better off to stay put in Denver than go there.

Adam does have a great background. He learned under Nick Saban at Michigan State and LSU. He has obviously dealt with adversity well and managed to handle, with much success, abrupt changes in offensive strategy/philosophy over his tenure in Denver. I would want him to be a little more seasoned as a coordinator though before I handed him the reins.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Browns GM Mike Lombardi wants pass-heavy offense. Who better than Gase, who in 1st year as OC helped Broncos score record 606 pts?

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Of course it looks different. The guy hasn't played a full regular season game. I believe it's more difficult on a quarterback to take over in the middle of a game. Other than that, he mostly has 4th quarter kneels and hand offs.

I was just expecting him to pick up where Manning left off. Of course, that is most of us fans wet dream.

2nd round pick, two years in the system, behind Manning and given the keys to a Ferrari sort of like Brian Griese. I don't want Griese Part II.

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Browns GM Mike Lombardi wants pass-heavy offense. Who better than Gase, who in 1st year as OC helped Broncos score record 606 pts?

I really hate that. Don't think its wise for Gase to take a HC job right now. Hopefully Elway gives Gase a raise to keep him around another year at least. I love his play calling.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
He has behaved like a leader. For all their qualifications, Schwartz is a hothead and Frazier is on the other end of the emotional spectrum... Players seem to like playing for Del Rio.

Being a head coach in the NFL is like 30% X's and O's and 70% management and leadership. Coordinators do the gameplanning, coaches do the leading.

Great post Buff. I have also read posts where some feel that DelRio has not done a good job with the defense, which I totally do not agree with. Look at the injuries, etc. IMO, I would hate to lose him.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Per Albert Breer...this could be good news:

Per source, Adam Gase has made it clear he'd prefer to wait til after Denver's playoff run to interview for jobs. We'll see if that changes.

BroncoNut
12-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Adam Gase - 2 years as a wide receivers coach, 2 years as a QB coach/waterboy, a 1-year apprenticeship running an offense at Manning's command, and now head coach at age 35?

Yeesh. Good luck with that, whomever would hire him. I think he mixes very well with Manning, but running an entire organization is different than giving Manning feedback on which plays you think he might want to lean harder on when he's audibling out of whatever you called originally.

I said when McCoy left that he might do better as a head coach because, unlike most coordinators who get that job he's actually not the best at it. He could run the org and hire a better OC than himself to direct the offense. And he did (I like Whisenhunt), and the Chargers made the playoffs. I dunno if Gase has the league connections to put the necessary staff together to make sure he doesn't hurt himself, though.

The Browns just hire people in order to fire em, though, so I guess he'd go in knowing that... right?

I like Del Rio, but it's still Fox's defense with Del Rio's preferences accomodated. We could lose Jack and keep defensive continuity. The offense is obviously Manning, so losing Gase is like losing the whipped cream on top of a shake, but Manning won't be here forever. Be nice if we could keep some remnant of this offense after him.

Of course, with how Oz looked trying to run it with Manning out... yeah. Might be trouble. A problem for a different year.
~G

maybe maybe not. he didnt' exactly light it up, liked the shovel pass to avoid the sack though

Ziggy
12-30-2013, 04:17 PM

I don't think Gruden would accept anything but a HC job. In that case, I would fight for Fox. ;)

And if he did accept a coordinator job, it would be as an offensive coordinator since that's what he did. He was never a defensive coach.

Ziggy
12-30-2013, 04:18 PM

Per Albert Breer...this could be good news:

Rookie mistake if he wants a head coaching gig.

Broncolingus
12-30-2013, 04:22 PM

~G

...that was a seed planted coming out of the preseason and is going to remain there...

Yes, yes, though...a LOT of incomplete parts to the picture and nothing -really- fair to judge him on at this point I agree...

...but, maybe good to steer clear of those, "...looking extremely impressive..." type-statements that many have raved about going back to training camp.

dogfish
12-30-2013, 05:15 PM
meh. . . i'm not sweatin' it. . . if we lose one (or even both) of them, top candidates will be lined up to replace them. . . denver is a premiere destination again, and fox has an excellent reputation-- it may not be ideal to switch coordinators, but if we do have to, it won't be a problem to find high quality options. . .

Dapper Dan
12-30-2013, 05:32 PM
I don't see Gase getting a HC job if he isn't interviewing now. I doubt he wants one at this point.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 07:10 PM
BOOM. Rejected. LOL Browns. Don't blame Gase for not wanting to step into that mess.

Per Denver Post:

JUST IN: Adam Gase turns down Cleveland Browns request; #Broncos coordinator focused on playoffs: http://dpo.st/19A5fJm

pulse
12-30-2013, 07:14 PM
BOOM. Rejected. LOL Browns. Don't blame Gase for not wanting to step into that mess.

Per Denver Post:

Haha! Awesome. Gase was quick about that noise.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Vic Lombardi:

Bold of Adam Gase to turn down all interviews until after the season. Guess he knows a good thing when he sees one. PFM's a good thing.

Buff
12-30-2013, 07:36 PM

Per Denver Post:

Refreshing for someone to not immediately jump for greener pastures. He will earn more respect in the long run by doing it this way.

Ziggy
12-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Refreshing for someone to not immediately jump for greener pastures. He will earn more respect in the long run by doing it this way.

McDaniels flashbacks. Passing up on head coaching jobs the first year they are offered after setting all the records with his offense.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 07:43 PM

It's honestly a better career move. He has nothing to gain from going to Minnesota or Cleveland. A couple of teams going nowhere who would probably only fire him in a few years anyway.

Buff
12-30-2013, 07:45 PM
McDaniels flashbacks. Passing up on head coaching jobs the first year they are offered after setting all the records with his offense.

Yeah, they were also undefeated at the time... From a career standpoint, it certainly didn't limit him.

Buff
12-30-2013, 07:47 PM
It's honestly a better career move. He has nothing to gain from going to Minnesota or Cleveland. A couple of teams going nowhere who would probably only fire him in a few years anyway.

I think Cleveland will turn it around assuming their owner doesn't get taken down by the FBI. But Gase is smart enough to know he'll have other opportunities... Winning a SB with Peyton Manning is a good resume builder.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 48m

Gase is no dummy. He wants to work with a legit quarterback. Neither the Browns or Vikings own one of those.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 08:12 PM
I think Cleveland will turn it around assuming their owner doesn't get taken down by the FBI. But Gase is smart enough to know he'll have other opportunities... Winning a SB with Peyton Manning is a good resume builder.

I do agree that Cleveland could turn it around soon, but still not a situation I'd want to walk into right now. And I wouldn't want anywhere near Minnesota.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2013, 08:13 PM
The Cleveland Browns sought permission from the Broncos on Monday to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, the first year offensive coordinator who guided his unit and quarterback Peyton Manning to an NFL-record 606 points and 55 touchdown passes this season.

But Gase, 35, doesn't want to get distracted from working with Manning and the Broncos on their chance for a special ending.

"I'm appreciative of the interest I've received, but I've decided to postpone any potential opportunities until after our season concludes," Gase said.

"My complete focus is helping our team prepare for our divisional playoff game."

AND

Gase talked with Broncos football operations boss John Elway and head coach John Fox about the situation. And he will stick with the Broncos as offensive coordinator.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24816612/browns-inquire-about-broncos-coordinator-adam-gase-head-coach-job

SR
12-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 54m Adam Gase is deserving of a head coaching gig. Just ask anybody in the business about his football acumen. Wise beyond his years. And mature

They said the same thing about McDaniels

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 08:19 PM
They said the same thing about McDaniels

That doesn't make it untrue about Gase.

SR
12-30-2013, 08:30 PM
That doesn't make it untrue about Gase.

Just sayin

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Another possibility on the interview circuit could be running backs coach Eric Studesville, who was the Broncos' interim head coach late in 2010 after Josh McDaniels was fired.

Studesville has never been a pro coordinator, but his steady leadership in the wake of the chaos of the McDaniels era brought respectability back to the Broncos and helped him earn the chance to remain on staff after John Fox was hired as head coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-39-coordinator-gase-declines-011543283--nfl.html

nevcraw
12-31-2013, 02:21 AM
Love that AG is focusing on a SB run.. he's smart not to go to the wet hot mess of Clev. or Minn.
I respectively giggle at those who think the that Cleveland can turn it around soon. Sure anything is possible but they haven't turned it around since the 'the drive' or 'the fumble'.

Ziggy
12-31-2013, 02:39 AM
Love that AG is focusing on a SB run.. he's smart not to go to the wet hot mess of Clev. or Minn.
I respectively giggle at those who think the that Cleveland can turn it around soon. Sure anything is possible but they haven't turned it around since the 'the drive' or 'the fumble'.

'The drive and the fumble' were from the team that's now called the Baltimore Ravens. They've won 2 super bowls since those days. The current Browns are actually the NFL's 2nd youngest team. The problem there lies with ownership more than anything else.

nevcraw
12-31-2013, 02:48 AM
'The drive and the fumble' were from the team that's now called the Baltimore Ravens. They've won 2 super bowls since those days. The current Browns are actually the NFL's 2nd youngest team. The problem there lies with ownership more than anything else.

oh come on! :-) potato tomato!! tell that to the fans of the Browns… looks like the same ol' browns with Lomardi back to the new old browns to boot.

DenBronx
12-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 48m

Gase is no dummy. He wants to work with a legit quarterback. Neither the Browns or Vikings own one of those.

Gase would make a ton of sense for Detriot.

Glad he isnt interviewing until the season is over.

Ziggy
12-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Gase would make a ton of sense for Detriot.

Glad he isnt interviewing until the season is over.

I think Detroit can pick and choose more than anyone. That team is loaded with talent. A franchise QB, best WR in the NFL, young stud LT, and a defensive line that can get to the QB as well as any team without blitzing. Other than having to live there, it's an ideal place to coach right now.

MOtorboat
12-31-2013, 06:33 PM

One of the other problems is that the NFL also basically told the fans of Cleveland that the new Browns were the old Browns and that put an unwarranted burden on an expansion team that doesn't exist in other expansion situations.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2014, 03:59 PM
It sucks, because we really can't tell. Gase did install the pistol. The playcalling was way more aggressive. Like you said, that could have been either one to call it. Manning said something about learning new stuff or something like that.
There have been very noticeable wrinkles to the new offense, imo, the Welker options and the out-and-up to Julius Thomas vs Ravens immediately come to mind. I don't think Manning can take 100% of the credit for the changes.

ShaneFalco
01-01-2014, 11:13 PM
I dont think Adam will leave until Peyton retires.

TXBRONC
01-02-2014, 08:31 AM
One of the other problems is that the NFL also basically told the fans of Cleveland that the new Browns were the old Browns and that put an unwarranted burden on an expansion team that doesn't exist in other expansion situations.

MO IIRC Browns fans wanted it that way. I remember them raising a fuss that the history and the name be stripped away from Model's team.

MOtorboat
01-02-2014, 08:32 AM
MO IIRC Browns fans wanted it that way. I remember them raising a fuss that the history and the name be stripped away from Model's team.

I know. And that put another unfair disadvantage on an expansion team.

Hell, we had a poster on here who was completely delusional about it.