PDA

View Full Version : Lepsis Regaining Form

TXBRONC
11-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Here's the latest from The Sporting News. I thought Lepsis was looking better over the past few weeks.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=310684

Broncos Team Report
Posted: November 27, 2007
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS

The Broncos have settled into a three-safety rotation over the last several weeks. John Lynch has been aligned just outside the tackle box as an eighth man down vs. the run. And there have been positive results. But on third downs, the Broncos are now pairing undersized CB Domonique Foxworth in Lynch's place with Hamza Abdullah to take advantage of Foxworth's range in coverage. Foxworth doesn't deliver a wallop but relies on solid form tackling in the open field against receivers over the middle. ...

One of the ways Brandon Marshall has made up for a lack of speed that hurt his draft stock is his ability to create yards after initial contact. Marshall (6-4, 230 pounds) runs after securing the ball like someone who is trying to bust a big play every time. He's been among the league leaders both in YAC production and real estate after initial contact, adding to his total with an ankle tackle-busting touchdown vs. Chicago. Teams are recognizing that strength and have been cognizant of trying to swarm him more. But with Javon Walker back, Brandon Stokley producing and Tony Scheffler emerging within the offense, Denver can spread the field and create single matchups that leave Marshall in mismatches with smaller corners and slower safeties.

SCOUTING REPORT

LT Matt Lepsis is finally beginning to round into shape physically after missing half the 2006 season with a torn ACL. Lepsis at times this year has felt sluggish, which has affected his movement based game. He was still proficient on the backside getting linemen to the ground and creating cut-back lanes for the running backs. But at times he was slow getting into his pass sets and didn't play with a square base. Once heavier defensive tackles locked into his body it left him at a big disadvantage. But he's been quicker off the ball lately and playing more aggressive and technique sound. And once in open space, no one on the Broncos' current line knows how to play angles better to shield off defenders than Lepsis.

YOUTH MOVEMENT

DE Elvis Dumervil has emerged as Denver's most consistent pass-rushing force in his second season. And lately, he's made more of a conscious effort to attack not only the pocket but the ball once he arrives. Dumervil led the nation with 10 forced fumbles as a college senior but felt he had been less attack-oriented recently. Dumervil now is making sure he raises his arm and swipes at the ball on contact. Dumervil isn't just contributing as a nickel defender, his rookie role, either. He's playing every down for the first time this season. And while he has some limitations as a run-stopper because of his lack of bulk and can be driven down the line occasionally, the time on first and second downs is helping him as a pass-rusher because he can set up later moves. Dumervil has helped combat his size issues vs. the run by using his 6-6 wingspan and quickness off the ball to engage linemen quickly and use leverage effectively. But he struggles once tackles get into his body

Lonestar
11-27-2007, 06:47 PM
good find :salute: about not only Lepsis but Marshall also

I had thought that Lepsis had a good game against CHI, but thought I'd watch the game again before commenting on it. For that matter almost the entire OLINE looked better except holland. He had a biff and a hold if I remember correctly.

Astrass
11-27-2007, 07:07 PM

I had thought that Lepsis had a good game against CHI, but thought I'd watch the game again before commenting on it. For that matter almost the entire OLINE looked better except holland. He had a biff and a hold if I remember correctly.

I can't quite remember since I had to watch on a choppy connection over the net but did Holland get dinged up earlier in the game?

Lonestar
11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
I can't quite remember since I had to watch on a choppy connection over the net but did Holland get dinged up earlier in the game?

I do not recall it.

TXBRONC
11-27-2007, 10:27 PM

Lepsis has played very well the last two weeks. Last Monday night he was lined up against Kyle Vanden Bosch of the Titans and kept his quite the entire night.

I remember Pears getting flagged for holding and Holland got called for something as well, but I don't recall Lepsis being called for holding. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember it.

Marshall turning into a very good receiver. Barring injury he's on pace to have about 80 plus catches, 1200 plus yards receiving and six touch downs.

Lonestar
11-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Lepsis has played very well the last two weeks. Last Monday night he was lined up against Kyle Vanden Bosch of the Titans and kept his quite the entire night.

I remember Pears getting flagged for holding and Holland got called for something as well, but I don't recall Lepsis being called for holding. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember it.

Marshall turning into a very good receiver. Barring injury he's on pace to have about 80 plus catches, 1200 plus yards receiving and six touch downs.

Marshall is an animal on the field, to bad he did not "get it" last year. His blocking is devastating down field.. He really can not be single covered by most CB and the safeties are big enough just not fast enough to deal with him.

Walker better watch out or he'll be slot receiver next year.

Has anyone heard any more about ROD how his is doing?

How about Stokely anyone hear anything about resigning him?

TXBRONC
11-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Marshall is an animal on the field, to bad he did not "get it" last year. His blocking is devastating down field.. He really can not be single covered by most CB and the safeties are big enough just not fast enough to deal with him.

With Marshall most of the time its going to be a mismatch for defensive more times than not.

omac
11-28-2007, 03:26 AM

Yeah, Walker is going to have a tough fight trying to get back his #1 spot on the lineup, the way Marshall's playing. That's what I like about the young guys on this team; they work hard like their spot on the depth chart is not guaranteed, and it shows, the latest being Young vs. Hall for the #2. If I remember correctly, Mike Bell had a somewhat non-challant attitude going into the season, and now he's nowhere in the RB depth chart.

No news on Rod; I have a feeling, he'll decide after the season's over and test out his injury. It's gonna be very tough for him to break the lineup, though, with Walker already there, and the way Marshall and Stokley have been playing. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire.

Hope they don't let Stokley go.

TXBRONC
11-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah, Walker is going to have a tough fight trying to get back his #1 spot on the lineup, the way Marshall's playing. That's what I like about the young guys on this team; they work hard like their spot on the depth chart is not guaranteed, and it shows, the latest being Young vs. Hall for the #2. If I remember correctly, Mike Bell had a somewhat non-challant attitude going into the season, and now he's nowhere in the RB depth chart.

No news on Rod; I have a feeling, he'll decide after the season's over and test out his injury. It's gonna be very tough for him to break the lineup, though, with Walker already there, and the way Marshall and Stokley have been playing. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire.

With Walker back Stokley will eventually move back to the slot where he's at his absolute best. With the way Jay likes to spread the ball around Walker will get plenty of touches as rounds back into shape.

sneakers
11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Good to hear...I always liked Lepsis.

sneakers
11-28-2007, 09:31 AM

Nah, they'll let him go so that we can sign another slug of a defensive end. :slug:

omac
11-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Nah, they'll let him go so that we can sign another slug of a defensive end. :slug:

That reminds me, Simeon Rice was cut by Indy. :D

Astrass
11-28-2007, 12:47 PM

Last thing I saw on the subject of Rod was his breif interview during a Monday night game I believe. He was asked about playing and Rod didn't have a confident answer. He almost looked disapointed when the subject came up.

To be honest i can see Rod retired and working on the side lines next year.

Also, stokley better be re-signed :)

Lonestar
11-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Last thing I saw on the subject of Rod was his breif interview during a Monday night game I believe. He was asked about playing and Rod didn't have a confident answer. He almost looked disapointed when the subject came up.
To be honest i can see Rod retired and working on the side lines next year.

Also, stokley better be re-signed :)

I saw that one also one of the reasons I asked if anyone else had heard anything..

Lonestar
11-28-2007, 01:46 PM
That reminds me, Simeon Rice was cut by Indy. :D

Sounds like mikey was correct..