PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Peyton manning for breaking the touchdown record!

sneakers
12-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Number 52!

WTE
12-29-2013, 05:19 PM
I would like to join sneakers in congratulating your 1X Super Bowl Champ on his latest individual accomplishment!

Army Bronco
12-29-2013, 06:29 PM
I would like to join sneakers in congratulating your 1X Super Bowl Champ on his latest individual accomplishment!...and he didn't have to cheat to win that Super Bowl!!!!

CrazyHorse
12-29-2013, 06:50 PM
...and he didn't have to cheat to win that Super Bowl!!!!

Or rely on a great defense and kicker.

WTE
12-29-2013, 06:57 PM

Yes he did. Polian turned up the heat at RCA when NE was suffering from the flu. You don't remember that AB?

Army Bronco
12-29-2013, 07:23 PM

Yes he did. Polian turned up the heat at RCA when NE was suffering from the flu. You don't remember that AB?No cause I hated the Colts then so I never watched them unless they played Denver. I always rooted against them unless they played NE.

WTE
12-29-2013, 07:53 PM
No cause I hated the Colts then so I never watched them unless they played Denver. I always rooted against them unless they played NE.

This sounds favorable to my cause. Am I supposed to hi-5 this AB?

DenBronx
12-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Manning ended with 55 TDs, 5,477 yards and should be the clear lock to win MVP.

So many records we broke this year but it all means nothing if we don't get to the SB.

Army Bronco
12-29-2013, 08:35 PM
No cause I hated the Colts then so I never watched them unless they played Denver. I always rooted against them unless they played NE.

This sounds favorable to my cause. Am I supposed to hi-5 this AB?..lol I don't know but the forums should incorporate bitch slaps to counter the high fives.

Army Bronco
12-29-2013, 08:36 PM

So many records we broke this year but it all means nothing if we don't get to the SB. I feel the same way.

Davii
12-29-2013, 08:54 PM
I would like to join sneakers in congratulating your 1X Super Bowl Champ on his latest individual accomplishment!

Like last week, take it to smack and quit trolling Bronco talk.

Slick
12-29-2013, 09:05 PM

He's become a broken record.

tripleoption
12-29-2013, 09:40 PM
I think Manning is having the time of his life right now. He loves the game and plays like it. Congrats on all he's done!

Hawgdriver
12-30-2013, 01:28 AM

So many records we broke this year but it all means nothing if we don't get to the SB.

Worse yet, it would cement his legacy as the ultimate "regular season" quarterback, one of those damnation by faint praise accolades. A lot on the line from here on out.

Dzone
12-30-2013, 01:45 AM
The dude must be really lonely to troll on another teams board. Weird.

BroncoNut
12-30-2013, 10:58 AM
big whoopee ding dong. 16 years in the league I would expect this

DenBronx
12-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Worse yet, it would cement his legacy as the ultimate "regular season" quarterback, one of those damnation by faint praise accolades. A lot on the line from here on out.

Manning needs to go out on top to silence some of his critics. He still has a ring but he is better than a 1 ring QB. Just up to him and our team to prove that we are better than one and done.

tomjonesrocks
12-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Or not. This may be someplace else on the forum, but it looks like they may very well take this away from him:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10217919/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-lose-passing-yards-record

MO and some others pointed out this could happen cutting the record that close. Murphy's Law--of course it will be invalidated. Bad move not to let him throw a couple second half balls then say goodbye to the crowd then.

At least this is a Brees record (rather than a Brady record) that will be restored...

Dzone
12-30-2013, 08:08 PM
heres pics of the screen pass. It was a PASS damnit..Would they actually rewrite the stats and take the record away????
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/peyton-manning-set-passing-record-1-yard-7-225908744--nfl.html

Army Bronco
12-30-2013, 08:34 PM
If they are taking away a record because they took a closer look the next day then shouldn't they change other calls that coildve changed a game such as penalties? How about the TD play Golden Tate made which won the game against GB last year?

chazoe60
12-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Well we better go back and scrutinize all of Drew Brees' passes and see if he threw any laterals.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 08:37 PM
If they are taking away a record because they took a closer look the next day then shouldn't they change other calls that coildve changed a game such as penalties? How about the TD play Golden Tate made which won the game against GB last year?

Changing a stat is completely different from changing a call. It has no impact on the actual outcome of the game.

MOtorboat
12-30-2013, 08:40 PM

The NFL makes lots of stat corrections. Most of the time no one notices.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 08:43 PM

If it weren't for fantasy football, fans probably wouldn't even know that they did it at all.

pulse
12-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Manning is going to lose the single-season yardage record back to Brees. It's the job of Elias Sports Bureau to review statistics each week. Obviously, scoring plays are not changed because those are cemented once the refs and review booths make those calls. However, statistics such as yardage are reviewed every week. This is no different. I had worried that 1 yard wouldn't be enough due to this process and it looks like it won't be to avoid the record being negated. Seems clear the ball lost 3 feet of forward progress from Manning's release before it was caught by Decker. Sometimes the camera angle isn't good enough to discern anything less than 1-2 feet. But in this case, it looks accurate to me. And I'm sure it will be the same for Elias.

In the end, I don't think Peyton really cares about the yardage record. It won't last long. Brees has been throwing for more than 5,000 yards the past three seasons. He could just as easily break this next year. Hell, Peyton could break it next year. What's far more unlikely to be broken any time soon is the touchdown record. Even Brady had Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth, Jabar Gaffney and Welker all playing at high levels when he hit 50. Peyton had Harrison, Wayne, Stokley and Clark when he posted 49. It takes a magical TEAM to score that many receiving touchdowns, not just an amazing QB.

Runamok
12-30-2013, 09:30 PM

This was about the game stats. Not a play or an outcome of a play. Neither team got hurt or benefitted from the play. Also not a matter of judgment since the officials do not keep the stats. I can see this possibly getting corrected. Seen it happen before.

He coulda broke the record but did he? Kinda like the stupid ball carrier who dumps the ball before crossing the goal line untouched. He could have scored, but he didn't. Can't just give away a record. I'd like to know who made the decision to yank Peyton so soon. What if there was no pass/lateral question but the guy keeping stats didn't count right and after the game they found out the record wasn't broken. Now that would be irritating to say the least

pulse
12-30-2013, 09:38 PM
I'd like to know who made the decision to yank Peyton so soon. What if there was no pass/lateral question but the guy keeping stats didn't count right and after the game they found out the record wasn't broken. Now that would be irritating to say the least

It's shitty, but it just is what it is.... In hindsight, as a coach, you would have been sending Manning back out to start the second half with the game already in hand for the sole purpose of padding yardage to assure a record. I'm sure they were advised going into halftime that he had broke it and I believe the coaches made the correct call. Nobody to blame here. It's just the process and it's just the way the ball bounces.

Army Bronco
12-30-2013, 09:44 PM
That's a great story but I'm biased and I think it sux. Its an NFL record they are taking away, not just a yard here or there.

pulse
12-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Here's the play in question:

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/peyton-manning-backward-pass-to-eric-decker-against-oakland-b.gif

SR
12-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Like I said, should've let Manning take the second half kickoff.

BroncoWave
12-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Yeah, there is absolutely no doubt that was a backward pass. That is still really going to piss me off if it gets taken away.

SR
12-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Yeah, there is absolutely no doubt that was a backward pass. That is still really going to piss me off if it gets taken away.

Me too. It's ridiculous that they can go back and change stats like that.

Army Bronco
12-30-2013, 10:23 PM

Me too. It's ridiculous that they can go back and change stats like that. I get that everyone is an expert on how things run but this is still ******* retarded. They should go back and review up to the inch. If these stats don't even change the outcome then why the hell even bother reviewing?

Davii
12-30-2013, 10:43 PM

I don't know SR. Even if he took the kickoff back for a TD I don't think that would help his passing stats. :D

SR
12-31-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't know SR. Even if he took the kickoff back for a TD I don't think that would help his passing stats. :D

Hardy, har, har. ;)

BroncoNut
12-31-2013, 09:53 AM

not unless it's one of your own as the case is here. great point Mo

Dzone
12-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Moral of the story- If you break a record in the NFL, put some padding on it so they cant take it away on some petty ass recalculation. If they give the yardage record back to Brees, well, people are going to be pissed.
So what if it was a lateral, this is a time the NFL needs to look the other way LOL

BroncoNut
12-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Moral of the story- If you break a record in the NFL, put some padding on it so they cant take it away on some petty ass recalculation. If they give the yardage record back to Brees, well, people are going to be pissed.
So what if it was a lateral, this is a time the NFL needs to look the other way LOL

that's my takeaway DZone. If I'm ever in the situation, I'm going to make the coach let me stay in, no matter how much ahead we are.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Definitely a lateral-

slim
12-31-2013, 11:00 AM

I was shocked they didn't give him the first drive of the second half.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-31-2013, 11:03 AM
I was shocked they didn't give him the first drive of the second half.

My first thought when he broke the record by one yard was, "that's subject to change". I guess they didn't want to risk getting him injured in a game they had in the bag.

slim
12-31-2013, 11:06 AM
My first thought when he broke the record by one yard was, "that's subject to change". I guess they didn't want to risk getting him injured in a game they had in the bag.

Yeah, it was probably the right call (being healthy for the playoffs is obviously more important), but they could have opened with a screen pass or quick slant and then pulled him....really no risk of injury on those type of plays.

topscribe
12-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Seriously. Manning could have played a few more minutes and crushed the
record, and everybody in the entire football world knows it.

SR
12-31-2013, 11:21 AM
I was shocked they didn't give him the first drive of the second half. So was I. I was a little upset. I'm even more upset now since the record is in jeopardy.

slim
12-31-2013, 11:23 AM
So was I. I was a little upset. I'm even more upset now since the record is in jeopardy.

I'm sure they got his input on it. I have read a few articles that suggest Peyton didn't really care about the record all that much (the TD record was more important to him).

topscribe
12-31-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm sure they got his input on it. I have read a few articles that suggest Peyton didn't really care about the record all that much (the TD record was more important to him).
Well, that's essentially what he said in a presser. He said yardage is all good,
but TDs are what win games.

slim
12-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Well, that's essentially what he said in a presser. He said yardage is all good,

Yeah, still it sucks to be that close to a record and not cash in.

Nomad
12-31-2013, 11:58 AM

Yep! Winning is what matters!

Dzone
12-31-2013, 12:02 PM
As long as we win a super bowl, this record wont be such a big deal.
They really need to leave it as it was tabulated during the game.
Has there been any official ruling on this yet?

slim
12-31-2013, 12:05 PM
As long as we win a super bowl, this record wont be such a big deal.
They really need to leave it as it was tabulated during the game.
Has there been any official ruling on this yet?

Nothing yet. I kind of doubt they will change it though.

MOtorboat
12-31-2013, 12:12 PM
I guess I'd like the NFL to be consistent. And the consistent move for the NFL is for the Elias Sports Bureau to review and verify yardage totals, so I want them doing the same even if a record might be reversed.

VonDoom
12-31-2013, 12:55 PM
My only issue would be that the NFL often admits they're wrong (see: Chargers illegal formation last Sunday) but after the fact, nothing can change what happened on the field. I know it's a different case, but it would suck to see them go in and change his passing yardage if they can't do more than apologize to the Steelers.

Nomad
12-31-2013, 01:02 PM
My only issue would be that the NFL often admits they're wrong (see: Chargers illegal formation last Sunday) but after the fact, nothing can change what happened on the field. I know it's a different case, but it would suck to see them go in and change his passing yardage if they can't do more than apologize to the Steelers.

Ironic thing is, it's Bill Leavy's crew that helped the Steelers win the SB against Seattle, and it's Bill Leavy's crew that screwed the Steelers from the playoffs this year.