PDA

View Full Version : The Trenches

Ziggy
12-27-2013, 05:19 PM
I wanted to take a look at the trenches. If you have a championship caliber QB you have a shot to win it all in today's NFL. Once you get into the playoffs, it's all about who wins in the trenches. Last year the Broncos got dominated at the line of scrimmage by the Ravens on both sides of the ball. With multiple opportunities to put the game away on 3rd and 4th and short, the Broncos couldn't seal the deal. Is there any reason to believe it will be different this year?

OFFENSIVE LINE-
The biggest factor in the passing game is Manning's ability to read a defense and get the ball out of his hands quickly. No one does it better. The two people this helps the most is Chris Clark and Zane Beadles.

Chris Clark has done a great job for his first season as a starter at left tackle. Outside of a few bad whiffs he's held the fort long enough for Peyton to get the ball out. He's fair in the run game.

Zane Beadles is unfortunately Beadles. When asked to block one on one in the power scheme, he's constantly overwhelmed at the point of attack both in the run and pass game. What he does well he does as good as any guard in the NFL outside of Iupati. He's a beast when he gets out in space and pulls. The Broncos are far more successful when using him this way.

Manny Ramirez is the most improved player on this team from the start of training camp. He's become a solid starting caliber NFL center and is quickly working his way toward becoming an invaluable cog in this line.

Louis Vasquez was another brilliant signing by Elway. He's the best pass blocker on this line and a lethal run blocker with both Ramirez and Franklin. He's playing at an all pro level and worth every penny that the Broncos spent on him.

Orlando Franklin has developed into a solid right tackle. Speed rushers still give him fits every now and then, but that's the nature of right tackles. He's a road grader in the run game and brings a measure of nastiness to this team along with Vasquez.

Overall, I'll take this line going into the playoffs. It's a solid group. Magz has done a great job of bringing this group together.

DEFENSIVE LINE-
Kudos to Elway for improving this group in the offseason as well. He has shown a true commitment in the draft to building the trenches with high draft picks. It's already paying dividends.

Terrance Knighton has been the unsung hero of this defensive line. He's been stout at the point of attack and provided a pass rush at times, which is icing on the cake. Another great Elway signing in the offseason.

Sylvester Williams is beginning to show why Elway spent that first round pick on him. It looks like the light has come on over the last two weeks. He's stepping up at the perfect time and beginning to dominate the line of scrimmage. He's been disruptive and has been all over the opponents backfield. This is exactly what you want in an under tackle in a 3-4 alignment.

Derek Wolfe is looking good to be back in time for the playoffs. That's a huge bonus for this defense. They desperately need his run blocking prowess on the left side. I'm not sure what level he'll be playing at when he gets back, but anything helps at this point.

Malik Jackson has been a surprise this season. He's stepped up as a pass rusher and has 5 sacks on the season, mostly from the DT position.

Shaun Phillips did a masterful job getting pressure on the QB while Von was on suspension. Moving back to that position on the field should give him an opportunity to shine again.

Robert Ayers is second on the team with 5.5 sacks. He's been on and off. I'm looking for him to step up once again with Von out.

Jeremy Mincey is the X factor. He looked great out there in the last game and knows Del Rio's defense. He's hungry to win could be to this team what Neil Smith was to the 1997 Broncos.

Overall losing Vick was a huge blow, but Sly has taken advantage of his chance to step up. The Broncos defense is one of only 10 teams in the NFL allowing less than 4 yards/carry. Give a ton of credit to Pot Roast on that one. If this line can get back to keeping the linebackers clean, I look for the D as a whole to improve in the next month.

Do the Broncos boast the best lines in the NFL? No, but they are far from the worst. With the rest of the talent the Broncos are putting out there around these guys, I feel pretty good going into the playoffs. This team isn't going to get bullied off the field like they did last year against the Ravens. An extra week of rest isn't going to hurt either.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
12-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Man, we have too many defensive linemen. And NO OFFENSIVE LINEMEN!!!!

J/k Ziggy. I couldn't agree more with each analysis. I will admit that I did not notice Mincey on the field last game though. Also, I'm really liking what I've seen from Sly. He's stepped up after having big (literally) shoes to fill.

Shazam!
12-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Phillips has been the X-factor IMO and the equivalent of Neil Smith from 97. He totally made Dumervil irrelevant. I have been completely surprised by his play.

Simple Jaded
12-28-2013, 12:36 AM
AFC Playbook on NFL Network highlighted Williams' play the last couple weeks.

Simple Jaded
12-28-2013, 12:40 AM
AFC Playbook on NFL Network highlighted Williams' play the last couple weeks.

Btw, you got a typo Ziggy, both lines are listed under the heading of defensive lineman. Just sayin.

Ziggy
12-28-2013, 01:41 AM
Btw, you got a typo Ziggy, both lines are listed under the heading of defensive lineman. Just sayin.

Thanks Jaded, fixed it.

SR
12-28-2013, 02:17 AM
Phillips has been the X-factor IMO and the equivalent of Neil Smith from 97. He totally made Dumervil irrelevant. I have been completely surprised by his play.

Doom is far from irrelevant. If you don't think this defense misses Dumervil, you must be smoking some good stuff.

atwater27
12-28-2013, 11:30 AM
GRRRRRRR!! Everyone that disagrees with my awesome sports opinions is an idiot and smokes weed.

*Edited for accuracy*

shank
12-28-2013, 11:45 AM
*Edited for accuracy*

yeah, son!

SR
12-28-2013, 11:46 AM
*Edited for accuracy* Dumervil's absence has an undeniable negative effect on this defense. That is a scientific fact.

Shazam!
12-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Doom is far from irrelevant. If you don't think this defense misses Dumervil, you must be smoking some good stuff.

The D is missing old Von, not Doom. Loss of Doom is not what has hurt this D.

atwater27
12-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Dumervil's absence has an undeniable negative effect on this defense. That is a scientific fact.

that's more like it. arguing your point instead of insulting and instigating.

SR
12-28-2013, 12:26 PM
that's more like it. arguing your point instead of insulting and instigating.

Thanks, dad.

SR
12-28-2013, 12:28 PM

I agree they're missing Von but this defense went from top five to bottom five and the biggest missing pieces have been Champ and Doom. Even when Von was in the game he couldn't improve the defense alone. That's where he, and the defense, missed Doom. And I think Del Rio's scheme this year sucks ass.

Simple Jaded
12-28-2013, 12:34 PM
It took two players but the Broncos did a hell of a job replacing Dumervil, Ayers is far better against the run and Phillips has basically duplicated Dooms pass rush production. The Broncos replaced Dooms pass rush with a role player and became infinitely better vs the run with another role player.

Ziggy
12-28-2013, 12:45 PM
I agree they're missing Von but this defense went from top five to bottom five and the biggest missing pieces have been Champ and Doom. Even when Von was in the game he couldn't improve the defense alone. That's where he, and the defense, missed Doom. And I think Del Rio's scheme this year sucks ass.

I agree with the last statement there Red. I have no idea why Del Rio is playing the corners 10 yards off and in a soft zone most of the time. We have the best trio of man corners in the NFL and he's playing them in a scheme for corners that can't man up. It's ridiculous. This D has gotten killed with underneath and crossing routes all season long. I'm hoping he at least mixes it up more in the playoffs. This bend but don't(and still does) break D is frustrating. We have far too much talent to play that kind of a scheme.

Shazam!
12-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Agreed with Champ's absence. I still think Phillips has been an adequate replacement. Von's weight gain has not helped, it has taken him backwards. Hopefully by next year, he'll be back to form if he rehabs well.

SR
12-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Agreed with Champ's absence. I still think Phillips has been an adequate replacement. Von's weight gain has not helped, it has taken him backwards. Hopefully by next year, he'll be back to form if he rehabs well.

I've already stated my stance on his weight gain so I will respectfully disagree with your opinion on that and move on.

I do think Phillips has been adequate considering his price tag, but he has not been nearly as disruptive as Doom was for us. Doom had his best performance against the run for us last season and still had 11.5 sacks (IIRC) despite missing a handful of games. He was a menace. Phillips picks his spots well and gets to the QB, but it isn't with the same force and disruptiveness as Dumervil.

DenBronx
12-28-2013, 03:25 PM
I think Phillips is a better overall player than Dumervil. Add that to the fact he was much much cheaper makes Dume irrelevant.

Poet
12-28-2013, 03:44 PM
From my observations, Phillips can get as many Sacks as Doom, but he can't get to the QB as much as Doom. Doom has been an absolute monstrosity for the Ravens. The Broncos defense misses Doom for rushing the passer, imo, but Phillips does seem to be better against the run. The falloff in the secondary has been just brutal. That loss of Vickerson really seemed to leave you guys with a hole on the run defense. Ironically, the Broncos defense now is really similar to Peyton Manning's old defenses in Indy; pass rushing with a lead is fine, but after that the defense doesn't really have anymore strengths.

Simple Jaded
12-28-2013, 03:52 PM
All Doom had to do to finally become a monstrosity was sign a monster contract, not live up to it, be forced to take a pay cut, throw a fit, try to pull a fast one, fire/Scapegoat his agent, sign with the front runners and basically duel to a draw with the role player that literally begged to replace him.

If that's the formula for getting the most out of Doom I'll take his replacement.

Softskull
12-28-2013, 03:53 PM
I agree with King. Doom got to the QB better but Phillips has his upside. Biggest drop off in skill was the loss of Vic. He was the lynchpin of how our defense worked. IAOFM had a good article recently on the defense and how Vic was the catalyst for our small middle LBs to do their magic. Without Vic, Woodyard hasn't been the same.

Broncolingus
12-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Pass rush from the down-four needs to be the biggest concern going into the post season...shocker, right?

...I think the run defense at the line will be okay.

...I also think the offensive line will be okay for the postseason as well...they have played solid all season long for the most part.

JMO...