PDA

View Full Version : Trading Places

Denver Native (Carol)
12-26-2013, 08:53 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Chris Harris Jr. is in his third season as an NFL cornerback, and most of that time he has been covering slot receivers.

Conversely, Champ Bailey has been a cornerback in this league for 15 seasons – spending most of that time covering receivers on the outside. But recently, the two have traded places and the veteran Bailey has been looking to Harris for a little advice.

“You know, it’s funny because I find myself asking him little things about coverages, mostly,” Bailey said. “Just what is he looking at, this and that. He’s had so much time in there and he’s been so good at it, I’d be a fool not to look at him and ask him a few things.”

Harris Jr. agreed that it was an interesting twist, but one that makes sense given the two cornerbacks’ personal experience.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Trading-Places/ee6b95cd-0cc6-492a-93ad-479293393ddf

Simple Jaded
12-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Better hope Harris doesn't have to cover a huge, slow white dude.

Ziggy
12-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Better hope Harris doesn't have to cover a huge, slow white dude.

Like Decker? Bwahaha. Champ played really well in the slot last game and Harris was his usual awesome self despite moving outside. I hope we lock him up long term soon.

Simple Jaded
12-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Like Decker? Bwahaha. Champ played really well in the slot last game and Harris was his usual awesome self despite moving outside. I hope we lock him up long term soon.

He's priority No3, imo, but the only reason he's not No2 is because he's restricted.

Joel
01-02-2014, 01:55 AM
I'm conflicted, to say the least: I hoped they'd do this, but doubted it because Champ's very experienced outside and very inexperienced in the slot, while Harris is just the opposite. Conflicted, but grateful; in the slot Champs play recognition and reaction are huge assets, and his diminished speed is less of a liability, while Harris did get a lot of valuable experience as a #2 CB all of last season and the first half of this one (until the second half of the NE game began that disastrous experiment with a rookie #2 whom Brady and everyone else shredded.)

I do wonder if this lasts through the playoffs, or is a temporary measure until Champ's back in game form. His injury didn't let him even practice much, and he's admitted that reduced his stamina. Even though nickelbacks play now more than ever, #1/2s still play more, so it makes sense to use that spot to ease Champ back in and build up his endurance if Harris can handle the outside. I don't expect Champ to have much difficulty reading and reacting even if nickel forces him to see the whole field rather than just watch his man: Champ's always seen the whole field.

Once Champ can go kickoff to gun again though, is Harris good enough outside that we can spare Champs experience, or even relegate it to possession receivers and tight ends in the slot? Quite possibly; I've been a big fan of Harris from the start, and he's improved each season he's played. It was one of my big arguments for moving Champ to FS (though his reads, reactions, recovery, tackling and ball-hawking were just as big.)

Basically, Harris is good enough we can spare Champ at CB, and Webster, Jammer and Carter are decent nickel/dimebacks, but neither Moore nor even Adams (who's also not young) is enough we can spare Champ at FS if he's capable of starting there (as everything suggests he is,) so moving him turns a liability (i.e. replacing a HoF CB past his prime) into an asset (i.e. replacing disappointing rookies and journeyman vets at FS.) It kills two birds with one stone; instead of needing to sign a CB AND FS, we just move an aging HoFer to FS and promote another great CB.

DenBronx
01-02-2014, 03:48 AM
This topic was disscussed several weeks ago by a few of us on here. With all the talk about how Harris is the nickle guy, many forget that he is just as good or better on the edges. At Chris Harris age it is ideal to have him covering faster WRs. Plus he gets physical at the point of attack, that really frustrates WRs. Slot WRs dont really go deep as much. They are quick, dink and dunk type WRs. Champ may have lost a bit of a step but I believe he still has quick/smart reactions in shorter space. Safety doesnt seem to be in Champs future plans......but given the chance to stay at nickle then he just might shine yet again.

Good move Broncos......good move indeed.