PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents/Von Replacement?

Shazam!
12-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Anybody think Denver will be looking at bringing anyone in to help bolster the D so as they move into the postseason?

Plenty of time to get someone ready for the push into the Divisionals...

Thoughts on any impactful FA LBs??

Bronco9798
12-24-2013, 12:17 AM
o.....

olathebroncofan
12-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Are wolf and Webster out fir the season as well. I can't think of anyone out there that would be in game shape unless the were just released.

Do we have anyone on the practice squad on the defensive side of the ball?

Pudge
12-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Ray Lewis?

olathebroncofan
12-24-2013, 12:25 AM
We should pick him and urlacher up. The would be awesome

DenBronx
12-24-2013, 01:30 AM
Richard Seymore is the only guy that comes to mind.

Urlacher only for MLB. That would mean Woody would go back to weakside and Trevathan strongside.

DenBronx
12-24-2013, 01:35 AM
Nnamdi Asomiguah is another guy but hes neen non existant. Would rather put Jammer in....plus I think Moore is coming back for the playoffs.

We need help at LB, DE and DT more than anything right now.

Wish we knew more about Wolfe. I still feel good about this team if he can come back. Especially since Phillips is playing so well.

Ziggy
12-24-2013, 02:05 AM
We have the same guys that were playing when Von was suspended. Shaun Phillips and Nasty Nate Webster. We also have Mincey now to provide additional pass rush. He looked good out there this week.

Magnificent Seven
12-24-2013, 02:59 AM
Personally, I think Broncos should have kept Joe Mays.

CrazyHorse
12-24-2013, 03:39 AM
Sorry, but you don't pick up guys off the street to replace your all-pro LB. We've got to roll with what we've got.

DenBronx
12-24-2013, 04:24 AM
Sorry, but you don't pick up guys off the street to replace your all-pro LB. We've got to roll with what we've got.

That's really our only option.

underrated29
12-24-2013, 05:46 AM
I didn't think mincey played for us last week. Thought he was inactive.

SR
12-24-2013, 07:07 AM
Personally, I think Broncos should have kept Joe Mays.

No way man. He was a constant liability. Always looking for the big bit. Took horrible angles. Bad in coverage.

Joel
12-24-2013, 07:32 AM
We have the same guys that were playing when Von was suspended. Shaun Phillips and Nasty Nate Webster. We also have Mincey now to provide additional pass rush. He looked good out there this week.
Except we don't have Wolfe and he's a huge question mark (and we haven't had Nate Webster for a while, but I know who you meant. :tongue:) I don't really expect our pass rush and run D to be any better with half our starting front seven out than NEs is; picking up a FA LB isn't a bad idea.

Unfortunately, looking at the list of available players is very discouraging; there are some decent DTs out there, but at OLB it's Tim Crowder, Jarvis Moss and guys roughly on par with them. The only one I've seen that looks reasonably decent is Mario Haggan (he could shore up our run D) but he's 33; no one can replace Millers pass rushing threat.

Shazam!
12-24-2013, 07:49 AM
The first 6 games Denver was anticipating Miller to come back, this is a little different.

I expect them to make some roster move with two plus weeks to prepare someone and Miller moving to IR.

smith49
12-24-2013, 07:55 AM
I didn't think mincey played for us last week. Thought he was inactive.

Nope! He most definitely played.

Dapper Dan
12-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Can we just pick up Jadavion Klowny?

MOtorboat
12-24-2013, 08:40 AM
There's no one out there.

Shazam!
12-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Brooking lol

MOtorboat
12-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Brooking lol

Brooking doesn't play Miller's position. Neither does the other two retired players mentioned in this thread.

Shazam!
12-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Hence the lol

Dapper Dan
12-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Brooking doesn't play Miller's position. Neither does the other two retired players mentioned in this thread.

Serious Mo is serious.

broncofaninfla
12-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Has there been any roster moves yet? With Miller surely going to the IR i suspect Denver will add a player either from a practice squad or a free agent.

OldschoolFreak
12-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Didn't Hagan step up with a pick-six the last time he stepped in for an injured Von?

My concern would be conditioning this late into the holiday season but assuming that isn't a problem, why not bring in an experienced bet with talent.

Hagan or Seymour for me please.

Shazam!
12-24-2013, 10:23 AM
I cannot see them not bringing in someone with all the time to prepare for the Divisionals.

There are some solid vets out there.

Dapper Dan
12-24-2013, 10:35 AM
I don't know that there will be another LB picked up. It could be anyone. The way I see it, there's an extra roster spot. Surely, they'll use it.

MOtorboat
12-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Serious Mo is serious.

I am just surprised people think you can replace him with a free agent at this point in the season...

Someone will be signed, sure, but I wouldn't expect them to contribute much.

Dapper Dan
12-24-2013, 10:46 AM
I am just surprised people think you can replace him with a free agent at this point in the season...

Someone will be signed, sure, but I wouldn't expect them to contribute much.

Are you saying we can't find another overweight, unproductive pass-rusher?

MOtorboat
12-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Are you saying we can't find another overweight, unproductive pass-rusher?

Well...now THAT I bet Denver could find.

Shazam!
12-24-2013, 10:47 AM
I wasn't talking about a 'replacement' just someone to help shore up a pass rush that is suspect.

There is a lot on the line for the Broncos, and bringing in someone who is familiar with the system with two plus weeks to prepare is not far fetched.

Someone will be signed, you say so yourself.

MOtorboat
12-24-2013, 10:49 AM
I wasn't talking about a 'replacement' just someone to help shore up a pass rush that is suspect.

There is a lot on the line for the Broncos, and bringing in someone who is familiar with the system with two plus weeks to prepare is not far fetched.

And my point is that someone will be signed, but they won't "shore up" the pass rush going into the playoffs. Anyone out there that could make that type of impact was signed before the season started.

Dapper Dan
12-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Yeah. I think people assume "replace" means "adequately replace". Replacements are replacements. Many times they aren't as good.

I think his replacement is on the team though. It's going to be a mix of Phillips and Irving.

Pudge
12-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Yeah mine was a joke, but good catch on that one

silkamilkamonico
12-24-2013, 12:04 PM
And my point is that someone will be signed, but they won't "shore up" the pass rush going into the playoffs. Anyone out there that could make that type of impact was signed before the season started.

Agreed - anyone signed will just be there to steal some plays for the ones on the current roster to get a breather. Not only is there no one available at this point that could make an impact but having someone come in who isn't in any sort of game shape isn't exactly ideal either.

bcbronc
12-24-2013, 01:18 PM
What's Lawrence Taylor doing these days?

Dapper Dan
12-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Cocaine.

Dzone
12-24-2013, 01:29 PM
He's a bouncer at a strip joint

Bugs Baloney
12-24-2013, 03:17 PM
we need a few pickups, but who? :whoknows:

Dapper Dan
12-24-2013, 04:44 PM
we need a few pickups, but who? :whoknows:

Tebow

Army Bronco
12-24-2013, 04:47 PM
How about getting another DB instead? Our LBs and will be just fine. But I think we need more depth in our DBs due to injuries and other not playing well.

Joel
12-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Didn't Hagan step up with a pick-six the last time he stepped in for an injured Von?

My concern would be conditioning this late into the holiday season but assuming that isn't a problem, why not bring in an experienced bet with talent.

Hagan or Seymour for me please.
I remembered that, and if we grabbed any OLB Haggan would probably be my choice. But that was also two years ago and he was >30 THEN. Regardless, he was never anything like the sackmachine Miller's been, so can't begin to make up the difference. He is (or at least was) a solid 4-3 Sam who stuffs the run and isn't horrible in coverage, and I liked him as that—but he's NOT a 3-4 OLB masquerading as a 4-3 Sam and demonstrating the difference by posting double digit sacks annually. If we were just replacing a 4-3 Sam, that's the easiest 4-3 LB spot to replace.

Unfortunately, we must find a way to replace a two time Pro Bowler who was DRoY just a couple years ago; that's infinitely harder.

Joel
12-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Maybe not before the season (though probably in the case of guys on par with Miller) but surely within a few weeks after the trade deadline. This "OMFG, we just lost a Pro Bowler and can't trade for another, wth to we DO?!" problem isn't a new one: I bet at least one (and often several) team(s) has unexpectedly found itself in that panicked position every week for the last two months. The guys still available are the ones not only cut by their own team but also rejected by ALL previous ones in the same dire straits where we now reside.

Expecting to find a pass-rushing OLB HALF as effective as Miller among those dregs is going to the goats house looking for wool.

Cocaine.
And 15 year olds. :tsk:

VonDoom
12-24-2013, 06:16 PM
How about getting another DB instead? Our LBs and will be just fine. But I think we need more depth in our DBs due to injuries and other not playing well.

I'm confused as to why Kerry Rhodes remains unsigned by anyone

Army Bronco
12-24-2013, 06:24 PM
So they signed LB Brandon Marshall from the PS.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-24-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm confused as to why Kerry Rhodes remains unsigned by anyone

I don't know for sure, but I think I read somewhere that his play had really declined in recent years.

CrazyHorse
12-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Bobby Boucher is a free agent. He's good at rushing the passer.