12-23-2013, 12:35 PM
They just reported this on 104.3 the fan

DenBronx
12-23-2013, 12:36 PM
That sucks

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Denver Broncos' Von Miller tears ACL, out for season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000303319/article/denver-broncos-von-miller-tears-acl-out-for-season

Buff
12-23-2013, 12:37 PM
We have now arguably lost our #2 and #3 best players for the year in Miller and Clady.

claymore
12-23-2013, 12:39 PM
This would sting alot more if I wasnt used to losing players. Doom, Clady, Bailey, Moore, and Miller x2

Broncolingus
12-23-2013, 12:39 PM
We have now arguably lost our #2 and #3 best players for the year in Miller and Clady.

Yup...:tsk:

Win or lose it all, I think the biggest story of this years team will be that of the injury bug...

...and how Denver just couldn't shake it.

Nomad
12-23-2013, 12:40 PM
That's like a kick in the nuts!

No offense, Carol!:D

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1m

Miller experienced looseness in knee leading up to the game. Still waiting to hear what grade tear. Could be partial tear. Either way, out.

DenBronx
12-23-2013, 12:43 PM
He should be ready to go next year.

But I wonder with his string of injuries and his off field problems and if it will impact his contract offer from the Broncos or not.

Next man up.....this isnt going to stop us from making a run in the playoffs.

VonDoom
12-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Based on the reports from yesterday, I was hoping it was just a sprain. Damn. That will definitely be an issue with an already depleted defense. Let's hope guys can step up in his absence because we need someone who can.

Shazam!
12-23-2013, 12:48 PM
I am so pissed off right now it is beyond words.

Buff
He should be ready to go next year.

But I wonder with his string of injuries and his off field problems and if it will impact his contract offer from the Broncos or not.

Next man up.....this isnt going to stop us from making a run in the playoffs.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he will be ready for 2014. Adrian Peterson is virtually the only guy who has been able to come off the injury and play effectively in that time frame. The reality it's it usually takes a full year to rebound completely and it's often not until the 2nd season back that they really return to normal. 7-8 months is going to be rushing it. And that's not taking into account all of the offseason work he will miss.

Pretty brutal that we're basically going to lose 2 seasons from Von in his prime. It makes his suspension all the more depressing.

Broncolingus
Next man up.....

Every team has injuries, yeah, yeah, yeah / blah, blah, blah...

...but that's probably one of the top 2-3 motto's of the 2013-14 Denver Broncos.

Northman
12-23-2013, 12:52 PM
This would sting alot more if I wasnt used to losing players. Doom, Clady, Bailey, Moore, and Miller x2

Pretty much, we had already played a portion of the season without him.

jhildebrand
12-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Go get Richard Seymour to fill his spot on the roster. That is about the best available.

tubby
12-23-2013, 12:54 PM
That re-sodded field was shit yesterday.

Tned
12-23-2013, 01:02 PM
This sucks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Buff
12-23-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm willing to declare his 15 pounds of added muscle a bad idea and a failure at this stage.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2013, 01:09 PM
The injury occurred as Miller was engaged with a blocker on the Broncos' second defensive series. The knee wasn't hit. It just gave out. Miller told team doctors he had been dealing with looseness in his knee and his condition became aggravated by the sodded turf.

full article
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24781197/broncos-von-miller-done-season-torn-acl

To me, this sounds like Von did not tell the team doctors until after this happened. If so, if he would have told them BEFORE, they could have put a brace on it!!!!!!! OR, even kept him out of the game, so this would NOT happen

Poet
12-23-2013, 01:10 PM
This sucks.

silkamilkamonico
12-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Sucks.

I am more concerned about Miller moving forward and seeing where he will be at next year. This years defense has been a hodgepodge mix of who's healthy game in and game out anyways.

chazoe60
12-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Has a team this injuries riddled ever won the SB? This has been a terrible year for us with injuries.

Bronco9798
12-23-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm over it. He pissed me off this year with the suspension, weight gain, etc., It'll be tough cause he can be a game changer. I think we can move on without him and make a run. Just takes the next man to step up and the entire unit to get tough and rise to the occasion. it's not the end of the world for us. I like this team and our depth has risen up and made plays this year. It's going to be ok!!!! GO Broncos!!!!!

silkamilkamonico
12-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Has a team this injuries riddled ever won the SB? This has been a terrible year for us with injuries.

Green Bay a couple years ago, and they were in far worse off shape than we were. They signed some guy off the streets to start at RB in their second p[layoff game (Starks). Their oline and dline were decimated and they still won it because of a HofF QB.

I'm not worried, in a sense of Miller. If we don't win it this year, it isn't going to be because Miller isn't there. Opinion of course.

silkamilkamonico
12-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Also, let's please not play the Woe Is Me card. The Patriots have lost their only explosive receiver in Gronkowski and also their version of Von Miller in Wilfork. This team is winning, or losing, with offense. It's how the team is built, it's how they have been all year.

claymore
12-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Sucks.

I am more concerned about Miller moving forward and seeing where he will be at next year. This years defense has been a hodgepodge mix of who's healthy game in and game out anyways.

My worst concern was that Miller would be a flash in the frying pan like Shawne Merriman. He seems to be fitting that mold. The injury shouldnt count against him, but with his decision making skills, who knows what really caused it.

NightTerror218
12-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Just means Fox and del rio need to earn paychecks and actually come up with some great game plans. Del rio needs to do something to get increased pressure on QB. Time to see how smart he can be.

We have Manning and a running game that is getting better. But defense is going to have to slow other teams down to win SB. Yesterday was good but needs to be better against a stud offense.

silkamilkamonico
12-23-2013, 01:33 PM
My worst concern was that Miller would be a flash in the frying pan like Shawne Merriman. He seems to be fitting that mold. The injury shouldnt count against him, but with his decision making skills, who knows what really caused it.

Yea I agree. Speaking of his decision making skills, I'm a little concerned he just might sit on his ass and gain even more weight while he is out. I mean if he couldn't prevent weight gain when he was out and healthy, I'm not sure how I could hope for it to be any more different when he has an injured knee.

TXBRONC
12-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Based on the reports from yesterday, I was hoping it was just a sprain. Damn. That will definitely be an issue with an already depleted defense. Let's hope guys can step up in his absence because we need someone who can.

Well if Slyvester Williams can up surge we've seen from him that will help immensely.

SR
12-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Champ to safety!

silkamilkamonico
12-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Well if Slyvester Williams can up surge we've seen from him that will help immensely.

He been playing real well. He looks like he could be a dynamic playmaker when he is a finished product if he keeps progressing. If I can get enough sense to step back from the ledge on our injury situation this year, I can see we are starting to get a nice foundation of young players we can hopefully build around moving forward with our defense - ofcourse this is assuming Miller will be the same player he once was coming back from his injury (and common sense spills).

broken12
12-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Well whomever wore 57 yesterday did look like he had a burst on the dline, glad that we dealt without having him early in the yr also, i also think we had bettrr sceems without him in the lineup.

jhildebrand
12-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Also, let's please not play the Woe Is Me card. The Patriots have lost their only explosive receiver in Gronkowski and also their version of Von Miller in Wilfork. This team is winning, or losing, with offense. It's how the team is built, it's how they have been all year.

Explosive WR's (plural) in Gronk AND Hernandez.

Joel
12-23-2013, 01:46 PM
That really is awful, and unexpected given the postgame precautions. Well, at least we know now, and can plan accordingly based on the few limited options still available. Hopefully we can find someone to fill the spot, because if Irving could to it he would've started his first or at least by last year and certainly wouldn't be riding the bench now (though perhaps that's about to change.)

I saw something a month or so ago and couldn't help thinking it may explain how unpredictable ACL tears are. Some guys never come back or are never the same; others return and it's like nothing happened—till it soon happens AGAIN. Yet some return and it truly IS like nothing ever happened; their illustrious careers resume and and last many years another incident.

Perhaps this is why: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24826323

From the sound of his comments, it's even possible Miller was playing with an ALREADY torn ALL (hence the looseness in his knee) that caused an ACL tear.

Regardless, this sucks all around, for everyone, and none more so than Miller.

claymore
12-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Well whomever wore 57 yesterday did look like he had a burst on the dline, glad that we dealt without having him early in the yr also, i also think we had bettrr sceems without him in the lineup.

I think that was Mincey(SP?) the guy who was released by Jacksonville.

NightTerror218
12-23-2013, 02:00 PM
So paris lenon is the new MLB. Could travathan play it? He is same size as lenon minus an inch of height. Which is 7 lbs on WW and an inch of height. WW at will, travathan at Mike and Irving at Sam. Keep our two best LB on field. And get WW back to where he was more of an impact player.

DenBronx
12-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Hope Wolfe will be ready for the playoffs. We need him back more than ever now. Looks like we are going to have to get creative with Woody, Trevathan and Phillips now.

DenBronx
12-23-2013, 02:15 PM
One things for sure though, were not the only team that has went through this. Its hard to argue that our injuries are more significant that even New Englands. Good teams still find ways to win and one or two injuries shouldnt make a team a bad team. We just have to rise above this and find a way to win.

Our defense hasnt really stopped anyone anyway this year. If we are going far into the playoffs its going to be because of our record breaking offense.

vettesplus
12-23-2013, 02:19 PM
not a big loss, 5 sacks in 10 games. 30 sacks first 2 years. something was missing with him this year, and I think it was dumerville. the defense sucked with and without him so just have to keep rolling with pfm

TXBRONC
12-23-2013, 02:20 PM
I think that was Mincey(SP?) the guy who was released by Jacksonville.

Yes that was Mincey.

NightTerror218
12-23-2013, 02:22 PM
not a big loss, 5 sacks in 10 games. 30 sacks first 2 years. something was missing with him this year, and I think it was dumerville

Yah but the stats do not show overall additional pressure he adds with qb hits and hurries. The double teams he draws.

Tned
12-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Surgery in two to three weeks according to Klis.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

vettesplus
12-23-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm over it. He pissed me off this year with the suspension, weight gain, etc., It'll be tough cause he can be a game changer. I think we can move on without him and make a run. Just takes the next man to step up and the entire unit to get tough and rise to the occasion. it's not the end of the world for us. I like this team and our depth has risen up and made plays this year. It's going to be ok!!!! GO Broncos!!!!!

very well said

chazoe60
12-23-2013, 02:28 PM
not a big loss, 5 sacks in 10 games. 30 sacks first 2 years. something was missing with him this year, and I think it was dumerville. the defense sucked with and without him so just have to keep rolling with pfm
The opinion of the uninformed.

Joel
12-23-2013, 02:29 PM
One things for sure though, were not the only team that has went through this. Its hard to argue that our injuries are more significant that even New Englands. Good teams still find ways to win and one or two injuries shouldnt make a team a bad team. We just have to rise above this and find a way to win.
It really has been devastating around the league; IMHO, part of why KC's done so well is their one of the few teams that hasn't lost a(t least one) Pro Bowl/HoF starter to season-ending injury.

Our defense hasnt really stopped anyone anyway this year. If we are going far into the playoffs its going to be because of our record breaking offense.
It's extremely unlikely we can win a SB like that though, not unless we have the good fortune Indy enjoyed in facing an equally one-dimensional team like the '06 Bears.

I hope the NFL (and ALL sports) notes doctors finally found the anterolateral ligament, because it looks like a true and literal game-changer, especially in what's become the Year of the ACL tear.

vettesplus
12-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Yah but the stats do not show ok verall additional pressure he adds with qb hits and hurries. The double teams he draws.

the broncos did just fine without him the first 6 weeks of the season they will do just fine without him the next 6 weeks again

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Well, so much for all he optimism I was spewing out. :laugh:

Timmy!
12-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Having to go the first 6 games without him looks to have been a blessing in disguise now, we should be able to go back to what was working then. Getting Champ back and hopefully Moore, Wolfe and Webster would be nice as well. IMO, this defense needs to gamble more often with blitzes, etc. We are going to give up some points, so we need to make up for it with causing turnovers (think 98, 99 defenses). Quick scores are something we can live with because it puts Peyton back on the field. What kills us is long sustained drives that kill the clock and completely gas our defense. Its time to roll the dice. We will go as far as the offense can take us.

vettesplus
12-23-2013, 02:33 PM
The opinion of the uninformed.

really, sense his return how often did you hear his name called in the games, not very...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-23-2013, 02:35 PM
really, sense his return how often did you hear his name called in the games, not very...

He makes a big play in almost every game. Even when he's not getting sacks he's getting pressures and TFL's. He's got 3 FF in just 8 games. I don't see how you can say he's not having an impact, especially with all of the attention opposing offenses give him. He's constantly getting doubled and chipped.

chazoe60
12-23-2013, 02:41 PM
He makes a big play in almost every game. Even when he's not getting sacks he's getting pressures and TFL's. He's got 3 FF in just 8 games. I don't see how you can say he's not having an impact, especially with all of the attention opposing offenses give him. He's constantly getting doubled and chipped.
Don't bother Al, obviously losing our best defender is no big deal. :rolleyes:

TXBRONC
12-23-2013, 02:43 PM
He been playing real well. He looks like he could be a dynamic playmaker when he is a finished product if he keeps progressing. If I can get enough sense to step back from the ledge on our injury situation this year, I can see we are starting to get a nice foundation of young players we can hopefully build around moving forward with our defense - ofcourse this is assuming Miller will be the same player he once was coming back from his injury (and common sense spills).

I think there is plenty to motivate you away from the ledge. We do have a nice foundation. I would like to see Denver get another edge rusher even if Quintarus Smith comes back and develops into solid pass rusher.

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
12-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Somebody has a voodoo doll of important Broncos. Or we're simply just cursed.

Von wasn't his usual dominant self this season but it makes this loss no less painful. Our defense can't afford to keep losing players.

Suppose the only bright spot is that it wasn't yet another injury to our secondary which is the real achilles heal of the defense IMO.

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm just having a hard time getting too upset about this. Yes he is our best defensive player and yes it's a huge loss, but our defense has been abysmal this season with or without him. I've thought all along that if we win the Super Bowl, it's because Peyton carries us there with 30+ PPG. This injury doesn't really change that.

chazoe60
12-23-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm just having a hard time getting too upset about this. Yes he is our best defensive player and yes it's a huge loss, but our defense has been abysmal this season with or without him. I've thought all along that if we win the Super Bowl, it's because Peyton carries us there with 30+ PPG. This injury doesn't really change that.
I completely agree with this line of thought. I just get annoyed at the dimwits who say "well be better off without him" or "who cares? He hasn't done anything anyway" You know, the people who don't really watch the game or understand what they're seeing when they do.

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I completely agree with this line of thought. I just get annoyed at the dimwits who say "well be better off without him" or "who cares? He hasn't done anything anyway" You know, the people who don't really watch the game or understand what they're seeing when they do.

I definitely agree that we aren't better off without him. Our odds of winning it all are definitely a bit lower than they were. I just don't think it's some catastrophic blow that ruins us. With the addition of Mincey and the emergence of Sly, our pass rush probably won't drop off all that much.

claymore
12-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I completely agree with this line of thought. I just get annoyed at the dimwit who say "well be better off without him" or "who cares? He hasn't done anything anyway" You know, the people who don't really watch the game or understand what they're seeing when they do.

Im trying to be positive and hope that somehow we are stronger through subtraction. It sounds silly, but Im still hopeful.

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 03:24 PM
And hey, if we do win it all this year, think of how much more legendary it will make Peyton. Carrying a team to a title as ravaged with injuries as we are would be quite the feat.

chazoe60
12-23-2013, 03:31 PM
And hey, if we do win it all this year, think of how much more legendary it will make Peyton. Carrying a team to a title as ravaged with injuries as we are would be quite the feat.
You are a wise young man. And I know for a fact that your girlfriend knows a lot about anatomy. ;) just thought I'd throw that in.

NightTerror218
12-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Yah but the stats do not show ok verall additional pressure he adds with qb hits and hurries. The double teams he draws.

the broncos did just fine without him the first 6 weeks of the season they will do just fine without him the next 6 weeks again

The did fine with big vick, wolfe and moore on the field. They are not on field now.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Elway Access: Miller Done for Season
John Elway talks about losing Von Miller for the year and Peyton Manning's touchdown record.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/audio/Elway-Access-Miller-Done-for-Season/ef801a05-eaeb-41e9-8306-949817356f56

NightTerror218
This seaso. We never really had entire 100% healthy defense.

Von missing and then injuries all over place.

GEM
I'm willing to declare his 15 pounds of added muscle a bad idea and a failure at this stage.

Don't tell SR that. :laugh:

zbeg
12-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Broncos lose one of the NFL's top 5 defensive players.

"No big deal, because the other players were bad."

Math checks out.

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Broncos lose one of the NFL's top 5 defensive players.

"No big deal, because the other players were bad."

Math checks out.

My main point is that even with Von, our defense is still REALLY bad. So while losing him is a blow, it doesn't change the fact that we are a team with a horrible defense that is carried by Peyton Manning.

I think losing a player like Moreno would be a way bigger blow, just because we are so reliant on our offense to win and he is such a vital cog in it.

zbeg
12-23-2013, 03:50 PM
My main point is that even with Von, our defense is still REALLY bad. So while losing him is a blow, it doesn't change the fact that we are a team with a horrible defense that is carried by Peyton Manning.

I think losing a player like Moreno would be a way bigger blow, just because we are so reliant on our offense to win and he is such a vital cog in it.

But it's not a binary thing where your defense is "bad" or "good." The Broncos defense was of X quality before this injury. That quality isn't very high, for sure. Now it's X-Von, which is of significantly lower quality. This places more pressure on Peyton.

The Broncos have lost three games already with Peyton running the offense, so it's not like the Broncos are unbeatable. The Broncos had what, 8 offensive possessions against the Chargers? Having Peyton doesn't do a lot of good if you can't stop the other team. And god forbid the offense stumbles or the offensive line has a day off or everything isn't perfect on offense, especially in the playoffs when you're facing better teams.

This injury is a huge, huge deal. It doesn't doom Denver's chances of winning the SB, but it makes it significantly more difficult.

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 03:54 PM
But it's not a binary thing where your defense is "bad" or "good." The Broncos defense was of X quality before this injury. That quality isn't very high, for sure. Now it's X-Von, which is of significantly lower quality. This places more pressure on Peyton.

The Broncos have lost three games already with Peyton running the offense, so it's not like the Broncos are unbeatable. The Broncos had what, 8 offensive possessions against the Chargers? Having Peyton doesn't do a lot of good if you can't stop the other team. And god forbid the offense stumbles or the offensive line has a day off or everything isn't perfect on offense, especially in the playoffs when you're facing better teams.

This injury is a huge, huge deal. It doesn't doom Denver's chances of winning the SB, but it makes it significantly more difficult.

I completely disagree that it makes it "significantly" more difficult. We will still have homefield throughout, and we are still the best team in the AFC. The Pats were our biggest threat, and Gronk is a WAY bigger loss for them than Von is to us.

All 3 of our losses came with Von on the field, and we are 7-0 with him not on the field. Now I am not saying we are better without him, because that is not the case, but we have shown that we are more than capable of winning without him.

With Sly's emergence and Mincey's addition, I honestly don't think our pass rush is going to drop off all that much without Von.

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 03:56 PM
This team was 6-0 and looked completely unbeatable without Von Miller early in the year. And we will be getting back Moore and Wolfe, who were big contributors to that. The sky is not falling.

chazoe60
12-23-2013, 03:59 PM
I agree. We can still win it and it will take what it was always going to take; big time offense and a play or two a game by a defense that is obviously the weak link of the team.

It sucks, I'd much rather have Von and I rate his performance this season a lot higher than some, but we can still do this thing.

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 04:02 PM
As long as Peyton Manning is healthy, this team has a chance to win it all. Green Bay had WAY more injuries than us in their title run a few years ago. The Pats this year have had it even worse than us with injuries. A HOF QB will mask a LOT of things.

I'd still rather be in our shoes than in the shoes of any other AFC team right now. And even the vaunted Seahawks showed this week they aren't unbeatable.

chazoe60
12-23-2013, 04:05 PM
As long as Peyton Manning is healthy, this team has a chance to win it all. Green Bay had WAY more injuries than us in their title run a few years ago. The Pats this year have had it even worse than us with injuries. A HOF QB will mask a LOT of things.

I'd still rather be in our shoes than in the shoes of any other AFC team right now. And even the vaunted Seahawks showed this week they aren't unbeatable.
I disagree that the Pats have had it worse.

PatriotsGuy
12-23-2013, 04:06 PM

Really? Have you been paying close attention?

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 04:06 PM

They lost their top 2 receiving threats, best d-lineman, best o-lineman, and best linebacker. I think that is worse.

I think them losing Gronk is a bigger blow than any one player we have lost.

Buff
12-23-2013, 04:08 PM
What in the world are we even debating in here? The degree to which it sucks to lose Von?

PatriotsGuy
12-23-2013, 04:12 PM
What in the world are we even debating in here? The degree to which it sucks to lose Von?

Let's discuss what sucks more, losing your oven or your best pass rusher

chazoe60
12-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Even Pats fans were saying that Will fork wasn't having a great year before the injury. We lost arguably our two best players besides Manning, two starting DL, a starting S, our TE missed time, our starting RT missed time, Woodyard missed a game, Champ hasn't really played all season (regardless what people say he would have been one of our starting CBs), and we've been without Welker for much of the season.

We can go tit-for-tat and it's all a matter of opinion and mine is that the Pats have not had it worse than Denver from an injuries standpoint, now prove me wrong I dare ya'

olathebroncofan
12-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Has there been any talk about us signing anyone to replace his roster spot?

Buff
12-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Your oven's recovery timetable is a lot more encouraging.

chazoe60
12-23-2013, 04:42 PM

So, our goose is cooked and your isn't.

Ziggy
12-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Wilfork is every bit as important to the Pats as Von is to the Broncos. Gronk is every bit as important to the Pats as Clady is to the Broncos. The difference is that the Broncos have a lot more talent on the rest of the roster than the Pats do. No excuses for either team.

Joel
12-23-2013, 05:09 PM

I agree losing a key offensive cog would be bigger, but "let's see just HOW bad the D must be before the offense can't save it" isn't the best strategy in history. ;)

Joel
12-23-2013, 05:21 PM
They lost their top 2 receiving threats, best d-lineman, best o-lineman, and best linebacker. I think that is worse.

I think them losing Gronk is a bigger blow than any one player we have lost.
Best TWO DTs, and Solder was still out last I hears, so best 2 OTs also. Plus I think either Talib (their best CB) or Dennard (their second best CB) has been out every game, and sometimes both were. Would we rather be missing 8 of our top 9, or "just" 5 (4 if Champ's back for good)? The Pats have NOTHING left but Brady; we've still got Vasquez, D/JT, Knighton, DRC and Harris just counting guys no one would deny are huge values. We've got about half a dozen more second-tier players who's still start on most teams.

Simple Jaded
12-23-2013, 05:54 PM
The Broncos are better off without an elite talent? That's...um...well? **** it!

I do know one thing, this is the kind of shit that passes for logic once fans get their poor little feelings hurt over off field shit. Dudes an idiot, somehow that means they're better off without him.

claymore
12-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Even Pats fans were saying that Will fork wasn't having a great year before the injury. We lost arguably our two best players besides Manning, two starting DL, a starting S, our TE missed time, our starting RT missed time, Woodyard missed a game, Champ hasn't really played all season (regardless what people say he would have been one of our starting CBs), and we've been without Welker for much of the season.

We can go tit-for-tat and it's all a matter of opinion and mine is that the Pats have not had it worse than Denver from an injuries standpoint, now prove me wrong I dare ya'

We lost our center for the year too. :D

ShaneFalco
12-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Wow this really sucks

Joel
12-23-2013, 06:03 PM
We lost our center for the year too. :D
No, we lost our C for a month or two, and his replacement outplayed him so infinitely Walton couldn't get his job back after reactivation, so we cut him. That WAS addition by subtraction.

Ziggy
12-23-2013, 06:06 PM
No, we lost our C for a month or two, and his replacement outplayed him so infinitely Walton couldn't get his job back after reactivation, so we cut him. That WAS addition by subtraction.

You really must learn to recognize humor Joel.

Simple Jaded
12-23-2013, 06:08 PM
What I like is how the Patriots get their nob polished for playing through injuries. The Patriots win with Vince Wilforks backup and people make a big deal out of it, the Broncos win with Kevin Vickersons backup and people make a big deal about how the Patriots win with Vince Wilfork's backup. I guess I don't get how that's worse.

It's amazing how brainwashed people can get by the media, the Broncos suffer another HUGE loss and their fans start spewing about how much worse the Patriots have it. Bullshit, the Broncos should be commended for staying on course through injuries that are just as big as any team in the league.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
12-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Well, this sucks for Von and the team. I hope he gets back healthy next year. Also, I hope we don't RGIII him into playing earlier than he should be.

I certainly don't think losing one of your best defensive players makes your defense better, but it could perhaps rally them. They looked solid through the 3rd quarter lull last game without him. As long as PFM is behind center, our Super Bowl aspirations are still alive.

CoachChaz
12-23-2013, 06:15 PM
At the end of the day, the question is simple. Of all the teams potentially in the playoffs in the AFC and NFC...can we say that right now, any of them are significantly better than us, even without Von? I don't think so. Yes, we're better with hin, but our offense is what drives us. With or without Von.

pnbronco
12-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Well this really, really sucks......:banghead:

PatriotsGuy
12-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Your oven's recovery timetable is a lot more encouraging.

It was a trick question young Buff, you can always buy a new oven :D

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 07:09 PM
At the end of the day, the question is simple. Of all the teams potentially in the playoffs in the AFC and NFC...can we say that right now, any of them are significantly better than us, even without Von? I don't think so. Yes, we're better with hin, but our offense is what drives us. With or without Von.

And this is EXACTLY why losing Von doesn't doom us. Yes it makes us a worse team, but it doesn't slide us behind anyone in the AFC.

Buff
12-23-2013, 07:41 PM
It was a trick question young Buff, you can always buy a new oven :D

Well that was a fun trick, you little scoundrel.

Slick
12-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Having to go the first 6 games without him looks to have been a blessing in disguise now, we should be able to go back to what was working then. Getting Champ back and hopefully Moore, Wolfe and Webster would be nice as well. IMO, this defense needs to gamble more often with blitzes, etc. We are going to give up some points, so we need to make up for it with causing turnovers (think 98, 99 defenses). Quick scores are something we can live with because it puts Peyton back on the field. What kills us is long sustained drives that kill the clock and completely gas our defense. Its time to roll the dice. We will go as far as the offense can take us.

Best post in this thread. This and what Coach said. Our defense needs to be playing like the Saints did when they won it. Gamble more. Just don't be giving up 8 minute drives. That's what has beaten us this year.

Simple Jaded
12-23-2013, 08:21 PM
http://thesidelineview.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/best-available-nfl-free-agents-defense

Dzone
12-23-2013, 09:05 PM
http://thesidelineview.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/best-available-nfl-free-agents-defense
I cant believe Jarvis Moss is on that list LOL...total bust...wasted pick. Thanks Shananhn

Dzone
12-23-2013, 09:08 PM
We are getting pressure up the middle now, that is going to help make up for Vons loss. So who is taking Vons place? Nate Irving? Nate had one good play yesterday that I remember

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
12-23-2013, 09:22 PM
We are getting pressure up the middle now, that is going to help make up for Vons loss. So who is taking Vons place? Nate Irving? Nate had one good play yesterday that I remember

I actually thought Irving played well yesterday. He had a monster hit and he tackled well, which has been a problem for our D at times this year.

Dzone
12-23-2013, 09:34 PM
The problem with Irving is he is fragile . Can he make it through a whole game without getting hurt? It looks like Irving will be taking Vons place. Hope he steps it up and stays healthy

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2013, 09:34 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When Head Coach John Fox returned to the sideline at practice in December after missing a month to heart surgery, quarterback Peyton Manning was asked if everything felt "back to normal."

“There hasn’t been a lot normal about this season by any means I don’t think," he said at the time.

That trend continued Monday, when the results of linebacker Von Miller's MRI came back with bad news -- he has a torn ACL and will miss the remainder of the season.

He will likely join two other defensive starters on injured reserve -- defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson and safety Rahim Moore -- though Moore has a designation to return, and could be back for the AFC Championship Game, if the Broncos reach it.

All-Pro tackle Ryan Clady is on injured reserve as well, and that's not to mention the array of players who have missed time due to injury, from cornerback Champ Bailey to defensive end Derek Wolfe, wide receiver Wes Welker, tight end Julius Thomas and cornerback Kayvon Webster.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Millers-Loss-Latest-Adversity-to-Overcome/7fff4ba2-649d-4c6b-8e43-4cd5a58b9208

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2013, 09:36 PM
from same article:

Fox, Harris and Decker all acknowledged that the team will miss Miller and the type of production he brings to the field. According to Pro Football Focus, Miller's overall grade was nearly twice that of the next-best 4-3 outside linebacker, and his pass-rush grade was nearly four times that of the second-place player.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Millers-Loss-Latest-Adversity-to-Overcome/7fff4ba2-649d-4c6b-8e43-4cd5a58b9208

Joel
12-23-2013, 09:37 PM
That's an incredibly depressing list; frankly, there's about a half dozen DTs I'd feel pretty good about signing, but not many DEs or OLBs. Anyone want Crowder or Moss back? Chucky (dear heaven, how is Chucky still playing?!) Haggan was decent, but nothing to write home about, and a better true (i.e. run-stuffing) Sam, certainly not the sack machine Miller is.

Is it time to stick Ayers in at DE and see if Phillips can still play LB? I mean, he was an OLB in San Diegos 3-4, right; that's pretty much the same role Miller's built to play, even if we have him as our 4-3 Sam. The only difference is a 3-4 OLB covers more and 4-3 Sams TRADITIONALLY blitz less.

chazoe60
12-23-2013, 09:38 PM
from same article:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Millers-Loss-Latest-Adversity-to-Overcome/7fff4ba2-649d-4c6b-8e43-4cd5a58b9208

But he hasn't done anything since returning and he only has 5 sacks. :rolleyes:

Joel
12-23-2013, 09:41 PM
The problem with Irving is he is fragile . Can he make it through a whole game without getting hurt? It looks like Irving will be taking Vons place. Hope he steps it up and stays healthy
Irving's problem is he's a third round pick who's needed three years just to get off the bench as a STer and only plays defense NOW when someone's hurt/tired. Which, admittedly, is where we are, but at this point I'd say he was overperforming if he were even adequate; I don't think he's likely to post multiple sacks every other game.

Simple Jaded
12-23-2013, 10:30 PM
But he hasn't done anything since returning and he only has 5 sacks. :rolleyes:

Totally agree, the Broncos are better off without Miller.

Simple Jaded
12-23-2013, 10:35 PM
That's an incredibly depressing list; frankly, there's about a half dozen DTs I'd feel pretty good about signing, but not many DEs or OLBs. Anyone want Crowder or Moss back? Chucky (dear heaven, how is Chucky still playing?!) Haggan was decent, but nothing to write home about, and a better true (i.e. run-stuffing) Sam, certainly not the sack machine Miller is.

Is it time to stick Ayers in at DE and see if Phillips can still play LB? I mean, he was an OLB in San Diegos 3-4, right; that's pretty much the same role Miller's built to play, even if we have him as our 4-3 Sam. The only difference is a 3-4 OLB covers more and 4-3 Sams TRADITIONALLY blitz less.

My preference might be Trevor Scott, former Raider/Patriot.

MOtorboat
12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
I got ocean-front property in Nebraska to sell to anyone who doesn't think losing Miller is a huge issue for this defense. It changes the defense on a fundamental schematic level, much less the simple fact that he's the best defensive player currently employed by the Denver Broncos.

That said, Denver is in a pretty unique position with this injury because the team played six games without him. The personnel groupings, schemes, coverages, blitzes, etc., that Del Rio will have to run without Miller have already been established, it's just been 10 weeks since they've been utilized.

Bottom line is that this sucks, because you've got to get pressure on the quarterback in the playoffs.

PatriotsGuy
12-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Well that was a fun trick, you little scoundrel.

I think of myself as more of a rapscallion

Poet
12-24-2013, 01:40 PM
I think of myself as more of a rapscallion

A rogue, a rogue is what you are to me.

Bugs Baloney
12-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Yes was being disruptive, although I agree....a major falloff.

Bugs Baloney
12-24-2013, 02:25 PM
We need a ILB first and foremost in the draft. I like Christian Jones #7 from FSU.
Size, Speed, Tackling, Coverage! The Whole Package!

or...

Shayne Skov #11 of Stanford is no slouch either, a ball hawk, takes great angles and
is quite disruptive all around. Both will be available at the end of the first round...hopefully.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-24-2013, 03:45 PM
did not have the time to see if the following has already been posted: this article was posted yesterday.

from article:

Rapoport was told that Miller will seek a second opinion, but initial testing suggested an isolated ACL injury, indicating a cleaner rehab process.

AND

Miller was replaced Sunday by Nate Irving, a fierce downgrade for a defense that hasn't been a strength this season for Denver. The Broncos have struggled to sack the quarterback, and Miller's injury strips the roster of the only pass rusher opponents were forced to game plan around.

AND

Miller's loss won't be easy to patch over. Despite missing six games, he currently leads all players at his position with 27 quarterback hurries, per Pro Football Focus. Lauded as a sack-master, he's an underrated run-stopper and outstanding in pass coverage. Miller, incidentally, leads all starting outside linebackers with just 23 yards allowed after the catch.

He's the definition of a complete defender in today's NFL. Denver can't possibly replace him, but Super Bowl teams -- if that's what these Broncos are -- find ways to fill the gap.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000303319/article/denver-broncos-von-miller-tears-acl-out-for-season

Denver Native (Carol)
12-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Details on Von Miller torn ACL injury here:

Miller looked like he was on a mush rush when he was "chipped" by Texans TE Ryan Griffin. Miller's right knee immediately buckled and the linebacker collapsed the ground holding his knee. The swelling needs to subside before he undergoes surgery in a week or two. It's a 6 to 9 month recovery but the plan is for Miller to be ready on a limited basis for the opening of 2014 training camp and play in the regular-season opener.

http://sulia.com/channel/denver-broncos/f/65dbedb1-f0ca-462c-b5ef-7bcff9c98075/?source=twitter&repost=420

Poet
12-24-2013, 04:34 PM
http://sulia.com/channel/denver-broncos/f/65dbedb1-f0ca-462c-b5ef-7bcff9c98075/?source=twitter&repost=420

Carol, if he weighed less, he totally would have been able to dodge the clipping. /sarcasm.

Runamok
12-25-2013, 01:47 PM
If losing Von and his 2013 production is that big a deal then the broncs are in trouble. He is playin at less than half last years pace. 5 sacks in nine games. Sure it would be great to have him but he wasnt going to be the difference in winning it all. Offense needs to score, score again and then score again.

TXBRONC
12-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Denver might be able to compensate for Miller's loss if they can get Wolfe back and if they can keep Bailey healthy enough play. Also if Williams can keep putting pressure on quarterbacks in the middle of the defense that would help tremendously.

Broncolingus
12-29-2013, 03:17 PM
...playoffs will be a great chance to show 'team' (and next man up) over individual for Denver...

TWT...