PDA

View Full Version : Knowshon flying a bit under the radar...

BroncoJoe
12-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Congrats to Knowshon Moreno. Went over 1,000 yards rushing yesterday and 500 receiving.

Dude is playing this year.

tubby
12-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Sauced!

:salute:

BroncoJoe
12-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Sauced!

:salute:

http://sportsondraught.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/sauced.jpeg

Army Bronco
12-23-2013, 12:21 PM
He has been a very good and reliable back this year. I love his attitude when he runs.

Broncolingus
12-23-2013, 12:41 PM
I think I'm more happy/impressed with his attitude and heart this year than with the stats...

...and yes, absolutely flying under the radar.

Northman
12-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Congrats KnowMo, you have been a huge spotlight outside of Manning this year. Please dont get hurt..... lol

BroncoJoe
12-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Buff? Any comments?

Buff
12-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Buff? Any comments?

He's still too slow!

Seriously though, I love his toughness... I love his ball security. I love his passion. He deserves all the credit in the world for maturing into a really solid RB.

MOtorboat
12-23-2013, 01:17 PM
:coffee:

Bronco9798
12-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I wasn't too much of a Moreno Fan early on his career. He always bumbled and stumbled over his own feet. He has worked hard to get where he is today. I love his energy, toughness, and grit. He had a good year for my wife's fantasy team too. I like him now. I love watching him run. Never knew he had it in him. With Ball coming along, it's going to be quite a duo for a few years coming.

reimx007
12-23-2013, 01:52 PM
He's a free agent after the season, I believe. I agree with everyone here, his toughness and heart go well with his all around RB skills that he's developed (running, blocking, recieving). I hope the broncos will bring him back, but only if the price is right. We have a lot of players who are going to need bigger contracts over the next few years. Decker, Moreno, and Woodyard this offseason. And they will want to pay out DT and Von next year. JT 's contract is up either this offseason or the next as well. In other words, I love our team this year. But realistically it could look a lot different two years from now.

Bronco9798
12-23-2013, 02:11 PM
I have a feeling Decker's agent is going to go for the big money and we won't re-sign him. I hope I'm wrong but I worry about it.

Joel
12-23-2013, 02:16 PM
He's a free agent after the season, I believe. I agree with everyone here, his toughness and heart go well with his all around RB skills that he's developed (running, blocking, recieving). I hope the broncos will bring him back, but only if the price is right. We have a lot of players who are going to need bigger contracts over the next few years. Decker, Moreno, and Woodyard this offseason. And they will want to pay out DT and Von next year. JT 's contract is up either this offseason or the next as well. In other words, I love our team this year. But realistically it could look a lot different two years from now.
According to Rotoworld (under Contract Details) we have an option to keep him for just over $5 million next year: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5163/knowshon-moreno I'm honestly not sure if the FO is willing to pay THAT much for him considering all the FAs we also need to re-sign. Maybe he'll be willing to renegotiate, but the way we treated him prior to this year (benching him most of his career, nearly cutting him twice) I wouldn't be surprised if he told Denver to pay him the $5 mill or he'll find someone who will; he very likely could.

I'm kinda kicking myself for staying onboard with him only to finally jump ship just before he found his legs at last midway through last season. He's had a phenomenal 2013 both in production and in terms of being the living embodiment of everything 50 or so OTHER Broncos LACK. If every or even most of our other players had HALF the determination and heart Moreno's shown on EVERY down this year I'd have started planning my SB party months ago. At long last, Knowshon's firmly established himself as our legit starter; well done. :salute:

NightTerror218
12-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Unless WW is cheap he had been replaced by Travathan. DRC is a need as well.

DenBronx
12-23-2013, 02:35 PM
I think it would be easier to replace Knowshon than Decker. All we have to do is keep drafting RBs. I love that Knowshon has really stepped up this year but I dont see us giving him more than 2 mill a year. Decker on the other hand I do.

Joel
12-23-2013, 02:59 PM
I think it would be easier to replace Knowshon than Decker. All we have to do is keep drafting RBs. I love that Knowshon has really stepped up this year but I dont see us giving him more than 2 mill a year. Decker on the other hand I do.
Ask Montee Ball how quickly most rookie RBs learn to pick up blitzes, and ask Peyton Manning how important it is. Moreno's our only everydown back, and I HATE telegraphing our plays to defenses by passing with the guy who blocks/catches but can't run and running with the guy who runs but can't block/catch.

Not to mention that the injuries to McGahee and Moreno the past couple years have reminded us how important it is to have a PAIR of everydown backs for when one is hurt or just tired. We've lost two huge games in as many seasons (i.e. last years playoff and @NE this year) simply because Moreno's flesh and blood and we had NOTHING behind him to ice the win.

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the party guys. Mo and I have been keeping the seats on the bandwagon warm the past few years.

DenBronx
12-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the party guys. Mo and I have been keeping the seats on the bandwagon warm the past few years.

I have two of his jerseys. Been a big supporter of him....you are more than welcome to thumb through the draft threads as well to see he was in a few of my mocks.

But at this point, if he wants a huge pay day, this might not be the place. Not so sure anyone else will dish out a huge contract either. Knowshon hasnt been all that consistant throughout his career. I am thinking Fox has more to do with his success though because he knows how to use RBs. Manning has also contributed to that. Huge credit goes to Moreno himself as well....he isnt turning the ball over and has been a multi purpose back. I am proud of the guy and hope we are able to fit him in next year with a reasonable salary.

BroncoWave
12-23-2013, 03:26 PM
I hope we make every effort within reason to re-sign him. I would give him a 3 year deal. That makes his contract run through the end of Peyton's, and once Peyton is gone we can rebuild with a younger guy. Moreno is just such a great fit for this offense, and I would hate to lose him.

GEM
12-23-2013, 03:37 PM
I owe the guy an apology. I hated him. Despised him. Couldn't stand that he walked around wearing the number 27.

I was wrong. I was wrong about his heart, I was wrong about his passion and I was wrong about him as a player. He's easily been one of my favorite players this year. He has so much heart and it shows. I love the kid.

Bronco9798
12-23-2013, 03:50 PM
I owe the guy an apology. I hated him. Despised him. Couldn't stand that he walked around wearing the number 27.

I was wrong. I was wrong about his heart, I was wrong about his passion and I was wrong about him as a player. He's easily been one of my favorite players this year. He has so much heart and it shows. I love the kid.

You weren't exactly wrong. Some of us felt the same way. Something clicked with him and he turned it on. His first couple years were dreadful and he appeared to have no heart. It just took him awhile to get it going. I felt the same way. I love the way he plays now. He used to stumble over his own feet. Now he keeps his feet moving and gets every yard he can. He's a keeper now. I thought he was going to be a bust.

pulse
12-23-2013, 04:17 PM
It hasn't hurt to have an offensive mind like Peyton Manning working around him every day. Two years of practices and guidance gave Moreno an opportunity to turn his career around. He's now a halfback that is reaching his first-round potential. No doubts that Moreno had the talent. He flashed greatness when he was at Georgia. Talent is all good and well, but a player has to develop mentally to be a success in the NFL. Especially when you're called upon to be a premiere back in a complicated offense. Moreno has to be credited for staying focused, buying into the challenge of learning this offense, and developing the mental toughness to become a smart football player. Clearly he has as much dedication to winning than anybody on this team now. He's still developing, and he's not perfect, but for the most part, compared to even last year, you can see how much smarter he plays. It's playoff time. No matter how great your QB is, you've got to lean on your halfback to play smart and get those tough yards to win playoff games. Moreno's got to be great this post season if we're going to win a championship.

Northman
12-23-2013, 04:22 PM
You weren't exactly wrong. Some of us felt the same way. Something clicked with him and he turned it on. His first couple years were dreadful and he appeared to have no heart. It just took him awhile to get it going. I felt the same way. I love the way he plays now. He used to stumble over his own feet. Now he keeps his feet moving and gets every yard he can. He's a keeper now. I thought he was going to be a bust.

^This

He really didnt give reason to support him. Still making the same mistakes 3 years in but towards the end of last year the bulb went off and we are a much better team and he is a much better player for it.

tripp
12-23-2013, 04:26 PM
He's playing with so much heart and determination. Every time he runs for a 1st down, or even on the side line he has this swagger about him. I love it. He has given the Broncos character, it often times lacks.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-23-2013, 05:37 PM
There was so much going on with Peyton Manning’s single-season touchdown pass record and Eric Decker giving the Broncos a record five players to score at least 10 touchdowns that Knowshon Moreno’s first 1,000-yard season got overlooked.

During the Broncos’ 37-13 win Sunday at Houston, Moreno crossed the 1,000-yard milestone with an 18-yard run on the first play after Mike Adams’ momentum-turning fourth quarter interception. On the play after Moreno’s run, Manning threw his 49th touchdown pass with a 10-yard strike to Decker.

Moreno now has 1,015 yards rushing for the season, one of 11 NFL running backs to reach the milestone. It’s a remarkable accomplishment for Moreno considering the adversity he’s overcome through the first four seasons of his career.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/12/23/knowshon-moreno-gets-first-1000-yard-season/24420/

NightTerror218
12-23-2013, 05:40 PM
I have to say his benching last season for his fumble changed him. He is more humble more passionate for game and gives it all he has.

Fox saved his career with that benching.

Joel
12-23-2013, 06:01 PM
I disagree; he always kept moving and got every yard he could, but with the blocking he had that usually wasn't much. As run blockers, Walton was crap, Beadles still is and Kuper was never better (and often worse) than average. Kuper was a great pass blocker, and Beadles became OK, but run blocking? It was only slightly better at tackle; Clady's a stud, but Franklin was pretty useless his rookie year (though better run blocking than pass blocking.)

Flash forward a few years and we've got a standout G in Vasquez, surprisingly good C in Ramirez and Franklin's come into his own, a decent pass blocker but devastating run blocker. When Clady was still in there it was breathtaking, like watching Heston raise his hands in "The Ten Commandments." Lo and behold, Moreno averaged >5 yds/att through our first 4 games, but when Clady went out and then Franklin joined him we were back to "Moreno takes the han—is hit in the backfield, stumbles forward, is hit again, stumbles forward and is tackled for a 1 yd loss."

Meanwhile, Moreno just keeps plugging away as fans call for his head year after year, the coaches bench him repeatedly, and the press runs stories about FO plans to cut him on not one but TWO occasions. No wonder he's playing like a man possessed EVERY down; you know what they say: "Don't look back—someone might be gaining." In Morenos case, it'll probably be Broncos fans with torches and pitchforks, led by his coach.

Let's not forget that even after he "finally turned it on" last year many fans still dismissed his critical catch and long run for a TD in the playoffs because he had the audacity to get HURT when we needed him to run out the clock at the end, then he entered training camp as the number THREE back on the depth chart. I guarantee MORENO hasn't forgotten any of that. If we offer to make him the permanent starter in exchange for less money next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he says, "I'd rather have the money." I would.

GEM
12-23-2013, 06:03 PM
I disagree; he always kept moving and got every yard he could, but with the blocking he had that usually wasn't much. As run blockers, Walton was crap, Beadles still is and Kuper was never better (and often worse) than average. Kuper was a great pass blocker, and Beadles became OK, but run blocking? It was only slightly better at tackle; Clady's a stud, but Franklin was pretty useless his rookie year (though better run blocking than pass blocking.)

Flash forward a few years and we've got a standout G in Vasquez, surprisingly good C in Ramirez and Franklin's come into his own, a decent pass blocker but devastating run blocker. When Clady was still in there it was breathtaking, like watching Heston raise his hands in "The Ten Commandments." Lo and behold, Moreno averaged >5 yds/att through our first 4 games, but when Clady went out and then Franklin joined him we were back to "Moreno takes the han—is hit in the backfield, stumbles forward, is hit again, stumbles forward and is tackled for a 1 yd loss."

Meanwhile, Moreno just keeps plugging away as fans call for his head year after year, the coaches bench him repeatedly, and the press runs stories about FO plans to cut him on not one but TWO occasions. No wonder he's playing like a man possessed EVERY down; you know what they say: "Don't look back—someone might be gaining." In Morenos case, it'll probably be Broncos fans with torches and pitchforks, led by his coach.

Let's not forget that even after he "finally turned it on" last year many fans still dismissed his critical catch and long run for a TD in the playoffs because he had the audacity to get HURT when we needed him to run out the clock at the end, then he entered training camp as the number THREE back on the depth chart. I guarantee MORENO hasn't forgotten any of that. If we offer to make him the permanent starter in exchange for less money next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he says, "I'd rather have the money." I would.

Sorry, you're wrong here.

He danced behind the same line that opened holes for McGahee. It wasn't the line with Moreno, it was Moreno didn't have the vision to find the hole.

Northman
12-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Yea, sorry Joel my man Gem is correct. Ive watched replay's of KnowMO from the past and he ran right up the backside of his blockers. Its not that the blocking was perfect every single time but from what i noticed early on his vision and decision making was very very poor.

Joel
12-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Sorry, you're wrong here.

He danced behind the same line that opened holes for McGahee. It wasn't the line with Moreno, it was Moreno didn't have the vision to find the hole.
The line didn't open holes for Moreno, he MADE them with his own body. That's why he led the NFL in yards after contact in 2011, and almost certainly why so many people complained about him AND Moreno having a "glass vag." Moreno danced around in the backfield because that's where the people trying to tackle him usually were; it's amazing how much easier it is to run N/S when you don't have to make guys miss and/or break tackles before you even get the handoff.

I won't deny there were some times he was indecisive, but it's kind of like Manning flipping fastballs to DT before he's even cut back in for that bubble screen: When your blocking collapses at the snap 50% of the time, you never know which plays it'll be, only that there'll be LOTS of them. Put it this way: I find it hard to believe Willis McGahee just happened to be the only decent back Denver's had since Mike Anderson, and Moreno just happened to get MUCH better when we replaced 2/3 interior linemen.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-23-2013, 06:16 PM
To some extent, it's not a fair comparison. McGahee's best year was in the zone read with Tebow. Some of those holes were wide enough to drive a car through. Moreno didn't get much pt in that system. Their ypc was not much different last year.

Ziggy
12-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Knowshon actually won me over in the scrimmage this year. All of us fans were sitting out in the rain as the team was in the locker room waiting for the storm to pass. It was Knowshon that came out first, took a trip around the stadium shaking hands with the fans and saying thanks for coming. Then he went in and got the rest of the team to come out and play in the rain while it was pouring. Peyton Manning and the boys doing belly slides along the field in the water will while the crowd went berserk will always be one of my favorite Broncos memories.

Buff
12-23-2013, 06:46 PM
To some extent, it's not a fair comparison. McGahee's best year was in the zone read with Tebow. Some of those holes were wide enough to drive a car through. Moreno didn't get much pt in that system. Their ypc was not much different last year.

Nothing about this post makes sense (no offense). Defenses were stacking 8-10 guys in the box against Tebow - most of the holes were non-existent. We certainly shouldn't discredit McGahee who had to earn all of those yards. And Moreno didn't get any PT because he wasn't good enough to get on the field. A RB who can't find the field in a run-heavy offense is a problem.

He has re-invented himself. The coaching staff deactivated him for half a year because he was so ineffective. But now he is effective. Good for him.

Bronco9798
12-23-2013, 06:52 PM

You're just rumbling on and trying to make sense out of something that isn't relevant. Moreno used to fall down alot and stumbled over his feet and seemed to fall at times out of nowhere. There was a lot of talk about it back a few years ago. I watch every game and he had an issue keeping his balance and gaining yards, sometimes at critical times. He has made major improvements with his balance. You can regurgitate all you want about offensive lineman, it's really not what I'm talking about.

Joel
12-23-2013, 07:10 PM
You're just rumbling on and trying to make sense out of something that isn't relevant. Moreno used to fall down alot and stumbled over his feet and seemed to fall at times out of nowhere. There was a lot of talk about it back a few years ago. I watch every game and he had an issue keeping his balance and gaining yards, sometimes at critical times. He has made major improvements with his balance. You can regurgitate all you want about offensive lineman, it's really not what I'm talking about.
Yeah, I remember all the talk a few years ago, and you can bet Moreno does, too, since it included talk about cutting him. If people want to greet his 1000 yd season by regurgitating those criticisms, I'll regurgitate my counterarguments; only right.

At the point it gets to what He Who Must Not Be Named did/n't do for our offense and how defenses did/n't respond though, I'm bailing before it gets ugly (or uglier, as the case may be.) ;)

AngMunoz1987
12-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Moreno has balled out this year. If didn't get hurt last yr vs BAL there's no doubt in my mind we would have won that game. Decker is a must resign. Best case scenario is for us to win the super bowl this year n Champ retires n saves us $9.5 million against next year's cap.

DenBronx
12-23-2013, 10:41 PM

Dont feel bad, Moreno hadnt exactlly earned the respect of the fan base yet. He has vastly imroved in a Manning offense.

DenBronx
12-24-2013, 02:05 AM
Also Joel, it was Moreno that stepped it up, not our OL.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Nothing about this post makes sense (no offense). Defenses were stacking 8-10 guys in the box against Tebow - most of the holes were non-existent. We certainly shouldn't discredit McGahee who had to earn all of those yards. And Moreno didn't get any PT because he wasn't good enough to get on the field. A RB who can't find the field in a run-heavy offense is a problem.

He has re-invented himself. The coaching staff deactivated him for half a year because he was so ineffective. But now he is effective. Good for him.

I get your point, but I disagree. I believe it's a valid point because it was a completely different system. There were games when teams did a good job of shutting the holes up, but I remember a lot of games where they didn't. Some teams don't know how to defend it because it freezes the LB's. Shady McCoy is easily having the best year of his career in a similar running scheme.

Buff
12-24-2013, 11:47 AM
I get your point, but I disagree. I believe it's a valid point because it was a completely different system. There were games when teams did a good job of shutting the holes up, but I remember a lot of games where they didn't. Some teams don't know how to defend it because it freezes the LB's. Shady McCoy is easily having the best year of his career in a similar running scheme.

Fair enough, but I guess my point still stands that the fact Moreno couldn't get on the field in such a run-heavy offense speaks volumes. McGahee was the better RB while he was the starter.

I think Moreno really is a changed man. I also think he is a great fit for the system - because he's more of a cerebral back than someone who is going to run by the defense.

shank
12-24-2013, 11:59 AM
knowshon makes buff's dingle tingle.

Buff
12-24-2013, 12:01 PM
knowshon makes buff's dingle tingle.

I'm glad we didn't cut him even though MO kept advocating for it.

shank
12-24-2013, 12:02 PM

i agree, MO's pretty dumb.

MOtorboat
12-24-2013, 12:02 PM

#Hack

Denver Native (Carol)
12-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I have always liked Knowshon. I look at it this way - if #7 feels Knowshon is worth keeping, that is all I need to know.

Hawgdriver
12-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Moreno is worth more to the Broncos than his free agent sticker price.

He has been on the field with Manning for hundreds of snaps the past year and a half. That's worth something. Those reps develop his anticipation and awareness. There are plays where he would pick up a blitz, etc., or anticipate what Peyton wants--and a back without that experience might not. At this stage in Manning's career, that seems an important commodity.

bcbronc
12-24-2013, 01:07 PM
It's a bit funny to me because for all the love Moreno now gets, he has he exact same YPC he did in his second season. And his rookie season was actually pretty solid, with 947 yards rushing (1160 yards from scrimmage) and 9 total TDs. He started out pretty good all things considered, but then the injuries knocked him off track more than anything else. There was always a few of us saying all along that health--not talent, drive, heart or anything else--was all that was holding Moreno back.

Even with the good season, wouldn't surprise me if they let him walk as a UFA. I'd like to have him back, but I could see Elway allotting those funds elsewhere and giving Ball the reigns as #1. If Moreno is willing to take a cap hit that works in a RBBC situation, great. But if he's expecting a big pay day, might be tough to justify with all the other UFAs we have due.

Buff
12-24-2013, 01:17 PM
It's a bit funny to me because for all the love Moreno now gets, he has he exact same YPC he did in his second season. And his rookie season was actually pretty solid, with 947 yards rushing (1160 yards from scrimmage) and 9 total TDs. He started out pretty good all things considered, but then the injuries knocked him off track more than anything else. There was always a few of us saying all along that health--not talent, drive, heart or anything else--was all that was holding Moreno back.

Even with the good season, wouldn't surprise me if they let him walk as a UFA. I'd like to have him back, but I could see Elway allotting those funds elsewhere and giving Ball the reigns as #1. If Moreno is willing to take a cap hit that works in a RBBC situation, great. But if he's expecting a big pay day, might be tough to justify with all the other UFAs we have due.

I call BS. It was drive, and heart and focus and everything else that was holding him back. He had fumble problems. He had vision problems. He was just an ineffective RB - and it had very little to do with injuries. That's why he was a healthy inactive for half the season last year.

You and MO and UR and Wave can all have your medal for not giving up on him like the rest of us... But let's not pretend like he's been the same guy all along, because he just hasn't.

bcbronc
12-24-2013, 01:24 PM
I call BS. It was drive, and heart and focus and everything else that was holding him back. He had fumble problems. He had vision problems. He was just an ineffective RB - and it had very little to do with injuries. That's why he was a healthy inactive for half the season last year.

You and MO and UR and Wave can all have your medal for not giving up on him like the rest of us... But let's not pretend like he's been the same guy all along, because he just hasn't.

No he hasn't been the "same" guy, he's been a younger, less experienced, less healthy version of this same guy. The healthy inactive was because he wasn't being effective...but he was also coming back from an ACL tear which usually takes a year of being healthy to get back to 100%. This is the first time since his rookie season that he's been healthy (knock on wood) and had some consistency in the offence. He was never as bad as the masses made him out to be, and now he's really come into his own physically and mentally.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-24-2013, 04:05 PM
#Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno said about reaching 1,000 yards for first time:

"It's been a little journey, but every single bit of it has been lovely," he said.
"It meant a lot with all the hard work I put in — not just me but the work the whole team put in," Moreno said. "It was the first time in my career, so it was kind of special. But I want to just keep on rolling. We've got one more game and then after that, we start a new season (with the playoffs), and we'll see how that goes."

http://sulia.com/channel/denver-broncos/f/c6ecb389-b761-44b1-8ce5-f77fa622c412/?source=twitter

BroncoWave
12-24-2013, 04:41 PM

I'm not arguing he's the same guy now as always. He's definitely better. I mostly think people were WAY too hard on him because of how high he was drafted and because of who drafted him. People acted like it was his fault that he was picked 12th overall.

He was always a solid contributor. Not 12th overall good, but not the bust that many on here portrayed him to be either.

I also think the "injury prone" thing was way overblown. He only has had one season in his career in which he has missed more than 3 games due to injury. RBs get hurt all the time as is the nature of the position, but apparently Moreno was supposed to be immune from that.