PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't Look Like Starters Will Get a Rest Next Week

mouthofsouth
12-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Baltimore is not cooperating. Patriots are dominating them, leading 17 to 0 late in second qtr. Denver will have to win next week to assure number one seed, because the Patriots have the tie breaker.Too bad, because Broncos could use the extra rest. But it will give Peyton a chance to get the yardage record.

Northman
12-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Good, keep the team motivated and not getting complacent. If we put the game away by halftime than we can sit him but for now keep them playing.

mouthofsouth
12-22-2013, 06:09 PM
I am one who usually advocates playing the starters no matter what. However, in this case, the Broncos have a lot of people hurt who need time to heal in order to get back to that early season form going into the playoffs. So I have mixed emotions. But since it looks like they have no choice but play, unless the Ravens stage a comeback, I hope Peyton gets the yardage record.

Simple Jaded
12-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Do the Broncos really have anybody to rest other than players that are already out?

BroncoWave
12-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Do the Broncos really have anybody to rest other than players that are already out?

Champ.

SR
12-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Champ.

Absolutely not. Champ needs to play as much as possible against Oakland.

BroncoWave
12-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Absolutely not. Champ needs to play as much as possible against Oakland.

I disagree. I'd rather him not risk re-injuring his foot. It's already happened twice this season. I would absolutely rest him if we have things locked up.

BroncoJoe
12-22-2013, 06:34 PM
I disagree. I'd rather him not risk re-injuring his foot. It's already happened twice this season. I would absolutely rest him if we have things locked up.

We've played all season without him, which also means he has not played (basically) all season. If he is going to be effective, he needs reps. If for nothing more than stamina reasons.

BroncoWave
12-22-2013, 06:37 PM
We've played all season without him, which also means he has not played (basically) all season. If he is going to be effective, he needs reps. If for nothing more than stamina reasons.

I'd rather him play and be a bit rusty than get hurt again. I just don't trust his foot to hold up. I hope i am wrong.

broncofaninfla
12-22-2013, 06:37 PM
With New England likely winning today Denver absouletly needs to beat Oakland. The only way i see the starters resting is if this game is well in hand early.

SR
12-22-2013, 06:42 PM

If he is going to re-injure his foot I would rather it be against Oakland so that Denver can gameplan WITHOUT him for the divisional round versus him getting hurt in the divisional round and the team having to adjust on the fly.

BroncoJoe
12-22-2013, 06:44 PM
If he is going to re-injure his foot I would rather it be against Oakland so that Denver can gameplan WITHOUT him for the divisional round versus him getting hurt in the divisional round and the team having to adjust on the fly.

Z'actly. Dude is not in football shape either. He needs reps.

VonDoom
12-22-2013, 06:44 PM
This is why getting the bye was huge. We can rest during wild card weekend.

Joel
12-22-2013, 07:04 PM
I remember last seasons abrupt premature end well enough I don't want to go into next week and then the playoffs resting on our largely superfluous laurels and taking things for granted. Even if we HAD clinched homefield I'd want the starters to start so they stay in rhythm over the bye, even if they came out in the second half (which could still happen.) And, while it's a MUCH lower priority than reaching/winning the SB, and maintaining/regaining health, I WOULD like 266 passing yds, a Manning TD and 18 pts (preferably more; a 590 pt record won't last long.)

All that said, we definitely need our guys healthy, and any time Wolfe, Welker, Moore, Miller and the rest have to convalesce in addition to the bye will be invaluable in the playoffs. Most everyone on every team is playing hurt to some degree in December; just because it doesn't make the injury report doesn't mean it's not there, and just because a guy's listed as Probable and plays the whole game doesn't mean he's perfectly fine.

With regard to Champ, assuming he IS fully healthy now, I'm far more concerned about his game shape than additional rest. A lingering foot injury reaggravated just before the seasons halfway mark means he didn't just miss lots of games, he missed lots of practices, too, and stamina that's vital at every position in every game is critical in Mile High air at a position that requires a lot of sprinting and quick reaction/redirection. He was in and out tonight, and I think that was because he wasn't fully in game form anymore, not because of the injury itself.

So High Fives for pretty much everyone. :tongue:

EastCoastBronco
12-22-2013, 08:28 PM
With New England likely winning today Denver absouletly needs to beat Oakland. The only way i see the starters resting is if this game is well in hand early.

Like that ever happens...;-)

Denver Native (Carol)
12-22-2013, 08:33 PM
If we do end up with the #1 seed, does that mean we have a two week bye before we play in the playoffs? If that is correct, I sure do not want the starters sitting out all of next week's game, as that would mean not playing for 3 weeks, which I feel would not be good.

BroncoWave
12-22-2013, 08:35 PM
If we do end up with the #1 seed, does that mean we have a two week bye before we play in the playoffs? If that is correct, I sure do not want the starters sitting out all of next week's game, as that would mean not playing for 3 weeks, which I feel would not be good.

There is no break between the regular season and playoffs. It's only 1 week off. And we have already clinched that bye.

Broncolingus
12-22-2013, 08:45 PM
My two-cents...

...I think you've got to play the (healthy) starters, but put the game away early and perhaps get the starters out early in the second half...

...I think you've got to play the starters, though, for some of the game absolutely.

JMO...

Davii
12-22-2013, 09:52 PM
My two-cents...

...I think you've got to play the (healthy) starters, but put the game away early and perhaps get the starters out early in the second half...

...I think you've got to play the starters, though, for some of the game absolutely.

JMO...

We must win the game, period. If that takes starters the whole game, well, that's what it takes.

Shazam!
12-22-2013, 11:25 PM
The can rest starters in the 2nd half when they're leading 38-7.

Broncolingus
12-23-2013, 12:07 AM
The can rest starters in the 2nd half when they're leading 38-7.

...that's better than how I (tried) to say the same thing :D

Magnificent Seven
12-23-2013, 12:55 AM
DENVER BRONCOS

Denver can clinch home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs with:

1) DEN win or tie

2) NE loss or tie

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24385378/afc-scenarios-for-week-17

Ziggy
12-23-2013, 03:27 AM
New England got flexed to the 2pm game, which means that Denver will be playing all out again next week. Personally, I prefer it that way with a first round bye in the bag. Keep the starters in game shape and in sync. It's more or less a 2nd bye week this season. I would expect Wolfe and Welker to sit again next week along with Von and his sore knee. Hopefully we won't lose anyone next week and be as healthy for the playoffs as we have been all season with Wolfe, Welker, Champ and Von all ready to go for the first postseason game.

AllThings18
12-23-2013, 05:24 AM
I'm glad they will be playing. I always hated the passivity of the Irsay/Polian/Dungy/Caldwell time that Manning spent in Indy. Certain players might see limited action, and once the game is at hand, some changes might be made, but for the most part the starters need to play the whole game. They are already getting a week off.

I'm also glad that New England & Denver are playing at the same time. Of course there will still be score board watching, I don't see Buffalo giving the Patriots much of a battle, so the team will need to keep the foot on the gas(Raiders necks).

CrazyHorse
12-23-2013, 06:26 AM
Ain't no rest for the wicked.