PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Bailey says talkative Ochocinco 'knows he can't get to me'

Magnificent Seven
09-11-2009, 01:54 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Champ Bailey chuckled at Chad Ochocinco's proclamation that he was eager to embarrass the Denver Broncos and their star cornerback Sunday in Cincinnati.

The Bengals wide receiver's Thursday tweet telling Bailey "storms coming!!!!!!!!!!" drew a roll of the eyes from the Broncos' perennial Pro Bowler, who doesn't check his Twitter account all day like Ochocinco does.

"I used that thing one time, or my brother did, just to promote our football camp, and you know (Ochocinco) uses it daily, so that's his way of trash talking," Bailey said. "I'm all for it, whatever he wants to do."

Bailey said he enjoys Ochocinco's trash-talking and looks forward to getting his best shot.

"Yeah, I love the way he talks," Bailey said. "The funny thing is he has respect for me and I have respect for him, and he knows what he's capable of and I know what I'm capable of. So it's not like he's talking to belittle you. He's a guy that he's an entertainer and he knows it, and he uses that ability to talk to the fullest.

"And he gets to some people, but he knows he can't get to me."

Ochocinco has embarrassed Bailey before, though.

Although he was held to three catches for 32 yards the last time these teams faced each other, in 2006, Ochocinco got the better of Bailey in a 2004 game -- when he was still known as Chad Johnson and caught seven passes for 149 yards and one touchdown.

"The funny thing is it wasn't a bad game, it was a couple bad plays," Bailey said. "It was like maybe two or three plays that I wish I could take out and then I had a pretty good game, because I know I had a pick in that game, and I never lost my confidence over that.

"I just know when you play a player like that and a quarterback like (Carson Palmer), you've got to be on top of your game every single play. You know, I slipped up a few times."

The Bengals are expecting Bailey to match up with Ochocinco on Sunday no matter where the receiver lines up on the field. Bailey wouldn't give away the game plan but said he would love to cover Ochocinco all day long.

Both Bailey and Ochocinco are coming off frustrating seasons, and what better way to kick off a bounce-back year than by facing each other in Week 1?

"Well, every year you're trying to prove yourself, trying to make the team, and you know I set my levels so high as far as what I want to be -- I want to be the best ever," Bailey said. "And I've got to do that every week, every game, so I'm always out there trying to prove something."

Bailey acknowledged that he ponders his legacy from time to time.

"I mean, that's not all I think about. I want to win a Super Bowl first and foremost," he said. "But you know along the way I want to perfect my craft and for people to look at me and say, 'He was the best ever.' You know, I've still got a lot of work to do."

Asked if he still believed he was the best cornerback in the NFL after missing about half of last season because of a groin injury, Bailey said: "Well, I don't get hung up on it much. I always try to go out there and be the best at what I do. That is something I learned when I was little, was try to be the best at what you do and not just the best you can be.

"And whatever people say, that's up to them."

Including Ochocinco.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81280eea&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Dirk
09-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Ha! I hope Bailey gets the best of Ocho! You have to love Bailey's pride and maturity!

broncofaninfla
09-11-2009, 07:25 AM
I applaud Champ for not taking the bait. Just hope he locks down Chad Sunday and shuts him the f up!

EastCoastBronco
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Bailey reminds me of Obi-wan...

"Don't try it Ocho. I have the high ground..."

SmilinAssasSin27
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
If we get pressure, Champ wins. Not even Champ can cover for 6-7 seconds.

Italianmobstr7
09-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I told Chad on twitter that Champ is going to make him "kiss the baby"
To the comments that he made about what he'll do to Champ, Champ should have said "Child please"

Dirk
09-11-2009, 10:14 AM
If we get pressure, Champ wins. Not even Champ can cover for 6-7 seconds.

As has been seen over the last few years..... :tsk:

Ravage!!!
09-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I know some don't like Ocho.. but he makes me laugh. Few years ago, before the opening game, he sent the DBs on the opposing team boxes of alcheseltzer! :lol: To help them ease their stomach from the worry of covering him. He was friends with all of them, and they all laughed too. Thats just fun stuff.

Italianmobstr7
09-11-2009, 10:47 AM
I like Chad, just not this Sunday.

jrelway
09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
lets hope our LBers and Dlinemen dont hang champ out to dry. bring that pressure nolan so champ can cherry pick and bring one back to the house.

Poet
09-11-2009, 12:43 PM
It's going to be an amazing matchup. They both have had success against the other. The last time the two played Ocho had an average game. The time before that Ocho had a good game against Bailey.

It's important to note that they both like each other and admire each others game.

I think Chad will have an average game. He's not an amazing scoring threat so I doubt he gets a touchdown but he will be relevant.

It should be a blast to watch the two square off.

ssgtwc
09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Holy Crap....I just remembered I was at that game back in 2006.:cool:

EastCoastBronco
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
I know some don't like Ocho.. but he makes me laugh. Few years ago, before the opening game, he sent the DBs on the opposing team boxes of alcheseltzer! :lol: To help them ease their stomach from the worry of covering him. He was friends with all of them, and they all laughed too. Thats just fun stuff.

I like him too. In fact I'd rather have him than Marshall...

powderaddict
09-11-2009, 04:16 PM
I alternate between being annoyed by Chad and laughing. All in all the NFL is much more fun for him :)

Remeber back in the 80's and 90's all the personalities in the NFL? I miss some of that sometimes. The modern NFL at times has gotten way too serious, like penalizing for endzone celebrations.

Bring back players spiking the ball 18 different ways, the Icky Shuffle, all that stuff! I miss that!

EMB6903
09-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Champ Bailey held Ocho to around 3 receptions for 30 yards last time they met up... and had a INT

If we get to Carson.. Champ will do his job... if not its going to be a long day.

EMB6903
09-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Holy Crap....I just remembered I was at that game back in 2006.:cool:

ya so was I.... Carson silenced the crowd on that potential game tying drive only to have the extra point get muffed and Denver win by a point... I remember the funny thing was the entire stadium thought we now had the playoff spot on lock...Denver lost to SF the next week and the rest is history... lol

Requiem / The Dagda
09-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Chad has taken Bailey to the woodshed before. It could happen again.