PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker likely out until playoffs

Denver Native (Carol)
12-20-2013, 11:07 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos receiver Wes Welker is expected to be held out of the team's final two regular-season games as he recovers from two concussions in a span of three weeks.

Welker resumed light physical activity Thursday. On Friday, he will be formally ruled out of the Broncos' game Sunday against the Houston Texans, according to a team source.

League and team sources also say Welker will be held out of Denver's regular-season finale Dec. 29 against the Oakland Raiders.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10170718/wes-welker-denver-broncos-likely-playoffs

Joel
12-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Sucks, but it's understandable; I don't want homefield badly enough to turn Welker into the next Junior Seau even if the NFL would allow it. I just hope the mean people will stop viciously harming poor innocent Bernard Pollard (as Welker and Tom Brady assuredly and emphatically agree.) Get well soon, Wes; you've got more jewelry to collect.

OrangeHoof
12-20-2013, 11:12 AM
That's okay. I just want him healthy for the playoffs anyway. Broncos can win without him short term. If he was ready to go, I would have just given him a few snaps anyway.

Northman
12-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Probably better off.

silkamilkamonico
12-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Probably should be done for the year. 2 concussions in 3 weeks is bad bad news.

CrazyHorse
12-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Well this is not necessarily a bad thing. We still got DT, Decker, and Julius. Caldwell really stepped up his game too.

DenBronx
12-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Probably should be done for the year. 2 concussions in 3 weeks is bad bad news.

I doubt that. The shot he took was really awkward and anyone could have got a concussion from it. He should be ready for week 1 of the playoffs. Glad they are resting him several weeks this time.

BroncoJoe
12-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Knock on wood, but we shouldn't need him until the playoffs. Get whats-his-name #12 some experience.

DenBronx
12-20-2013, 07:00 PM
If DT, Decker and Julius are all healthy then we should be fine.

tripp
12-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Still have more weapons this year than we did last year... not worried. I'd rather Welker have a better life and future than play a couple of football games.

Dapper Dan
12-20-2013, 09:20 PM
What have we been doing when Wes goes out? Simply plug in Caldwell, or do we also us a 2nd TE more? I thought I had noticed both Caldwell and Tamme a little more while Wes was hurt.

tripp
12-20-2013, 09:51 PM
What have we been doing when Wes goes out? Simply plug in Caldwell, or do we also us a 2nd TE more? I thought I had noticed both Caldwell and Tamme a little more while Wes was hurt.

Weren't we using Decker as a slot against Chargers? And then using Caldwell as No. 2 receiver? :/

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-20-2013, 11:47 PM
We have been pretty selfish as a fanbase in this discussion. People act like they really care about his well being by suggesting he should sit out two games we probably don't need him for, which is a bit disengenuous.

He has reportedly had quite a few concussions in his career and two in three weeks is really scary. I would beg him to retire right now if I was his father. If he gets another concussion in the playoffs it could be catastrophic to his long term health. Who knows how much damage is already done.

DenBronx
12-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Weren't we using Decker as a slot against Chargers? And then using Caldwell as No. 2 receiver? :/

Why would we do that? Deckers better on the outside and as you have seen by his 4 TD performance a couple of weeks back, he can be very explosive as a #2 WR. Caldwell or Tamme would be the option in the slot.

Dapper Dan
12-21-2013, 01:59 PM
We have been pretty selfish as a fanbase in this discussion. People act like they really care about his well being by suggesting he should sit out two games we probably don't need him for, which is a bit disengenuous.

He has reportedly had quite a few concussions in his career and two in three weeks is really scary. I would beg him to retire right now if I was his father. If he gets another concussion in the playoffs it could be catastrophic to his long term health. Who knows how much damage is already done.

I believe people are thinking from a football standpoint, not a personal one. I'm sure the FO are thinking the same thing.

silkamilkamonico
12-21-2013, 02:57 PM
I doubt that. The shot he took was really awkward and anyone could have got a concussion from it. He should be ready for week 1 of the playoffs. Glad they are resting him several weeks this time.

He has reportedly had quite a few concussions in his career and two in three weeks is really scary. I would beg him to retire right now if I was his father. If he gets another concussion in the playoffs it could be catastrophic to his long term health. Who knows how much damage is already done .

The medical staff will get him as ready as they possibly can and Welker is as tough as anyone and will play and be fine, but 2 concussions in 3 weeks is bad news for anybody, especially for someone who's style of play has made him susceptible to big hits in the past. Head injuries aren't anything to mess around with.

Broncolingus
12-22-2013, 08:59 PM
No issue holding him out...

...like that was really a choice given the protocol stuff nowadays?

Totally the right decision IMHO...