PDA

View Full Version : Bailey: 'I'll Be Out There'

Denver Native (Carol)
12-19-2013, 10:32 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Champ Bailey has played in just three games this season, and finished just one.

In Week 7, he aggravated the preseason foot injury that has plagued him all season long, and when he returned to the field again in Week 13, he notched four tackles before leaving the game.

The good news is that the lack of playing time has him as fresh as possible entering Week 16 against the Houston Texans.

“My fingers aren’t banged up like they normally are this time of year. My shoulders don’t feel as bad," Bailey said after Thursday's practice, in which he was a full participant. "Those are the only things that have gotten a breather. My legs are still my legs. I’m 35 (laughs), they feel as good as they’re going to feel right now.”

rest - plus Bailey video
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Bailey-Ill-Be-Out-There/04bd082e-8095-403a-9708-8136572ef791

Davii
12-19-2013, 11:18 PM
I hope he's able to stick his foot in the ground and go. If he can change direction and has confidence in the foot then I'm sure he can shore up our secondary and be an upgrade to Webster.

LuisPastrana4
12-19-2013, 11:46 PM
I hope he's able to stick his foot in the ground and go. If he can change direction and has confidence in the foot then I'm sure he can shore up our secondary and be an upgrade to Webster.
I'm praying we see an above average Bailey from here on out. I'm not expecting the old Champ or even last years Champ. I hate to see him go out like this.

Joel
12-20-2013, 04:54 AM
On the one hand, an injury like that not only kept him out of games, but off the practice field, so I've wondered how his stamina and explosiveness are now; whether he's in midseason/playoff form or the "pitch count" he was on in the first KC game is more typical of what we can expect at this stage. However, it's also true his foot's probably the ONLY thing as bruised and battered as most NFL players are in mid-December. If it's finally 100% and the rest is fresh and whole, Champ could have a storybook playoff run, and take us with him.

That's certainly what I'm hoping; I'm not sure if he'd be outside and Harris in the slot (though that's what I expect,) but BOTH would be far better nickelbacks than Webster, Carter or Jammer. Of those three, I like Webster best in future seasons and Jammer best now, but the first isn't (quite) ready yet and the second's showing his age: We NEED Champ against playoff teams.

EastCoastBronco
12-20-2013, 08:26 AM
As much as I like Champ and what he has done for us if if he is playing like "weak sauce" the first quarter Del Rio needs to pull him.
There is no room for sentimentality when you are ramping up for a playoff run.

Joel
12-20-2013, 09:16 AM
As much as I like Champ and what he has done for us if if he is playing like "weak sauce" the first quarter Del Rio needs to pull him.
There is no room for sentimentality when you are ramping up for a playoff run.
I take it for granted he'll only be out there if he brings more to the table than all alternatives; if not, we'll be back with Webster and/or Jammer. However, just because he's slowER doesn't mean he's SLOW; he may not be able to go stride for stride with a guy who runs a 4.3, especially after months of being a spectator even at practice, but I bet he can still beat a 4.5. The questions in my mind are 1) is his foot fully healed and 2) can he last a full game? A career in Mile High air may aid his endurance (though Houston air gets pretty thick and moist, petrochemicals aside.)

atwater27
12-20-2013, 09:35 AM
The odds are definitely not in our favor on this one. Poor Champ.

Bronco9798
12-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Although my feelings about Champ are that he's done, I hope he plays a good game and doesn't hurt us. We need this game. Have to have it for home field advantage throughout the playoffs. I'll be pretty uneasy watching him out there. If I'm Houston's O- coordinator, I'm throwing at him every down and test him early on. Nobody is going to shy away from a 35 year old CB who has played minimal snaps this year. I think they will be aggressive in throwing at him. You have a guy who really isn't in game shape since he's hasn't played a whole lot. It's going to be interesting to see how he does. I hope I'm wrong on how I feel about him. I loved Champ since the Portis trade, but reality has sunk in for me. Again, hope I'm wrong about him. Go Broncos!!!

Joel
12-20-2013, 11:08 AM
I guess I was right last year: It really IS as simple as "he's either the GoAT or competely useless." If Champ plays Sunday (as it sounds like he will, at least to start) Houston won't target him anymore than NE, KC, Tennessee and SD did Webster, and won't torch him as consistently. Remember, Webster was our #2 CB the last 4 games; I don't know why, unless the coaches thought Harris was the ONLY one capable of playing the slot, but that's how it was. And it was a disaster; Champ couldn't help being an improvement if he tried.

UnderArmour
12-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Champ Bailey is a Hall of Fame cornerback and the thought of Matt Schaub "picking" on him for an entire game as a weak link in our secondary has INT written all over it. Champ will have multiple interceptions if he can stay healthy and weather the initial storm of everything going towards his side of the field.

I don't think he's done and neither do the coaches or the front office. If they did, he would have been put on IR a long time ago.

weazel
12-20-2013, 11:16 AM

I just hope he doesn't get beat deep and then "trip on the grass"

Bronco9798
12-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Champ Bailey is a Hall of Fame cornerback and the thought of Matt Schaub "picking" on him for an entire game as a weak link in our secondary has INT written all over it. Champ will have multiple interceptions if he can stay healthy and weather the initial storm of everything going towards his side of the field.

I don't think he's done and neither do the coaches or the front office. If they did, he would have been put on IR a long time ago.

I hope you're right. I don't see it though. I think they pick on him until he proves he can keep up. That's what they should do in my opinion. Hell, he's barely played this year. I personally don't think Del Rio has that much confidence in him. He's already pulled him out of games this year. Why would he do that if he had confidence in him.?

Bronco9798
12-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I just hope he doesn't get beat deep and then "trip on the grass"

He's done that before. I go back to a Bengals game on MNF way back years ago when he got beat several times and then started "tripping" over his own feet and acted like he fell down. It was so obvious.

weazel
12-20-2013, 12:11 PM
He's done that before. I go back to a Bengals game on MNF way back years ago when he got beat several times and then started "tripping" over his own feet and acted like he fell down. It was so obvious.

Ya I know, that's why I said it. He's done it all too often.

MasterShake
12-20-2013, 12:26 PM
I really do forget what a great season Champ had outside of the playoff game last year (when our whole defense seemed to take the day off). I think as long as he is confident and healthy he is the one I still want lining up. Hopefully he can shake off most of the rust in these last two games and help us out in the playoffs. If we manage to go all the way I want him to be a part of it because he has been the class of this organization for years. He could have left at any time and he always chose to stay here.

It's similar to Ray Lewis last year. Aging hall of famer, not playing his best but doing just enough to help his team win it all. He had that late season injury, too. Get champ some deer antler spray!

MasterShake
12-20-2013, 12:27 PM

I remember Deltha O'Neal used to pull up on his hamstring after getting beat deep then magically run to the sideline.

Bronco9798
12-20-2013, 12:30 PM
I really do forget what a great season Champ had outside of the playoff game last year (when our whole defense seemed to take the day off). I think as long as he is confident and healthy he is the one I still want lining up. Hopefully he can shake off most of the rust in these last two games and help us out in the playoffs. If we manage to go all the way I want him to be a part of it because he has been the class of this organization for years. He could have left at any time and he always chose to stay here.

It's similar to Ray Lewis last year. Aging hall of famer, not playing his best but doing just enough to help his team win it all. He had that late season injury, too. Get champ some deer antler spray!

Totally agree with you on the ring thing. I hope he gets one.

Bronco9798
12-20-2013, 12:31 PM
I remember Deltha O'Neal used to pull up on his hamstring after getting beat deep then magically run to the sideline.

At least he had 4 picks against the Bengals one time, and never tripped over his own feet against them. :-)

Joel
12-20-2013, 12:31 PM
I hope you're right. I don't see it though. I think they pick on him until he proves he can keep up. That's what they should do in my opinion. Hell, he's barely played this year. I personally don't think Del Rio has that much confidence in him. He's already pulled him out of games this year. Why would he do that if he had confidence in him.?
Del Rio's pulled a lot of starters out of games this year; ask the Bolts how sound his judgement is there. Again: What's our other option? Start Webster against DeAndre Hopkins? Do you honestly think Champ will be any worse than Webster's been each of the last four weeks? Maybe Champ's faster than Quentin Jammer, who's only a year younger and had a 40 time 0.14 seconds slower? Let's say Champ's every bit as bad as you fear and we MUST pull him: Who takes his place, and how well does that go?

Champ may or may not still be our best CB when healthy, but he's FAR better than our FOURTH best, and we need at least three starters. So if Champ can play, he should and will.

UnderArmour
12-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Del Rio's pulled a lot of starters out of games this year; ask the Bolts how sound his judgement is there. Again: What's our other option? Start Webster against DeAndre Hopkins? Do you honestly think Champ will be any worse than Webster's been each of the last four weeks? Maybe Champ's faster than Quentin Jammer, who's only a year younger and had a 40 time 0.14 seconds slower? Let's say Champ's every bit as bad as you fear and we MUST pull him: Who takes his place, and how well does that go?

Champ may or may not still be our best CB when healthy, but he's FAR better than our FOURTH best, and we need at least three starters. So if Champ can play, he should and will.
Webster is out with a thumb injury and won't be back until next week. Our other options are Jammer and Carter because Harris plays the slot. I know we have some safeties that can also play corner in Huff and Bolden, but Bailey is the next man up. I don't expect him to pull an Ed Reed on us where he sits, talks big, coaches from the sideline the whole year, and then tanks when he finally gets a shot.

Bronco9798
12-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Coaches can worry about the depth. I'm just going to watch and see what happens. The only think I'm saying is I think he's done for the most part. Some people think he can still play at a high level, I don't. I'm not into who should play or who shouldn't. I just don't think he can come in and carry the defense or defend like he could at one time. He has never preferred press coverage. He likes playing off his man with a cushion and then close. I don't think he can do either any more with much success. We'll see Sunday. I'll say it again, I hope I'm dead wrong on this. I like Champ, always have. I hope he gets a ring this year. he deserves one. I'm not a Champ hater, I just think he's not very effective anymore.

slim
12-20-2013, 12:46 PM
At least he had 4 picks against the Bengals one time, and never tripped over his own feet against them. :-)

That was against KC, so he gets bonus points!

Bronco9798
12-20-2013, 12:50 PM
That was against KC, so he gets bonus points!

I thought it was the bengals. :confused:

slim
12-20-2013, 12:52 PM
I thought it was the bengals. :confused:

Oh no, it was the chiefs. I bet DC remembers.

Bronco9798
12-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Here's an article on Champ Bailey and his season last year. He had a very good year up until the playoffs. Here's the article; Enjoy!!! It's really pretty good and breaks everything down.

http://presnapreads.com/2013/06/11/champ-bailey-understanding-the-difference-between-reality-and-perception/

BroncoJoe
12-20-2013, 01:01 PM
I guess questions will be answered Sunday at 11:00 AM MST.

Joel
12-20-2013, 01:07 PM

Missed this initially: Please don't compare Champ to Roberto the Robot; I'm pretty sure Champ's never murdered one person, let alone two.

Webster is out with a thumb injury and won't be back until next week. Our other options are Jammer and Carter because Harris plays the slot. I know we have some safeties that can also play corner in Huff and Bolden, but Bailey is the next man up. I don't expect him to pull an Ed Reed on us where he sits, talks big, coaches from the sideline the whole year, and then tanks when he finally gets a shot.
Right; I brain-farted on Websters surgery. So we're down to Jammer or Carter; a healthy Champ's much better than either even slowed down (again, he's only a year older than Jammer, and had a faster 40 by more than a tenth of a second.)

For what it's worth, there's no law that says Harris MUST play the slot; he was our #2 CB all of last year, took Champs spot at the start of this year and went back there for the second half last week after Webster spent the first getting torched like he had been all month. Now, Harris has played the slot a lot more than outside, and is better suited to it than Champ for that and other reasons, but I don't think it would be a disaster to stick Harris outside and Champ in the slot, it's just that the reverse would almost certainly be better.

Coaches can worry about the depth. I'm just going to watch and see what happens. The only think I'm saying is I think he's done for the most part. Some people think he can still play at a high level, I don't. I'm not into who should play or who shouldn't. I just don't think he can come in and carry the defense or defend like he could at one time. He has never preferred press coverage. He likes playing off his man with a cushion and then close. I don't think he can do either any more with much success. We'll see Sunday. I'll say it again, I hope I'm dead wrong on this. I like Champ, always have. I hope he gets a ring this year. he deserves one. I'm not a Champ hater, I just think he's not very effective anymore.
It's not just a question of depth, it's a question of STARTERS: If Champ doesn't play, someone else has to join Harris and DRC as our three starting CBs, so who's it gonna be? I'd take Jammer over Carter because he's far more experienced as a starting CB and Carter draws lots of flags, but I'd prefer a healthy Champ to either. Someone's gotta play though; if not Champ, who?

MasterShake
12-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Missed this initially: Please don't compare Champ to Roberto the Robot; I'm pretty sure Champ's never murdered one person, let alone two.

Comparing scenarios, not people. The only thing Champ ever killed was Tom Brady's mojo in the 2005 divisional playoff game here.

Bronco9798
12-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Comparing scenarios, not people. The only thing Champ ever killed was Tom Brady's mojo in the 2005 divisional playoff game here.

I remember Champ getting a pick in a game against the Patriots and going about 90 + yards and then he got pushed out of bounds around the goal line. That was a great play.

CrazyHorse
12-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Now if we could just get Moore back to shore up our secondary. Maybe, Wolfe too on the defensive line. Things are shaping up for the team to get healthy just in time for the playoffs.

ShaneFalco
12-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Champ will get a pick 6

nevcraw
12-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Champ plays the toughest position in football for being singled out for play (even thought the TV doesn't tell the whole story)… Makes me laugh a little when people are reading his thoughts to determine his reason for falling but not also overly kissing his ass for shutting down his side for 90% of the snaps her took in Denver and at the same time always tackling the runner too.. Kind of hard to call him a ***** and a stud at the same time huh?

nevcraw
12-20-2013, 07:59 PM
hope he saves it for the playoffs.

Magnificent Seven
12-20-2013, 08:00 PM
If he re-injured his foot... we are done with him for good.

Joel
12-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Champ will get a pick 6
Duh; Schaub's playing: Pick-sixes for EVERYONE! :tongue:

Agucua
12-22-2013, 05:06 AM
I would love to see him in Rahim's spot at points in the last two games. See how it works out.

Ziggy
12-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm sure he'll be on a snap count today, and very rusty. I wouldn't put too much into how Champ performs today. I think this week and next are more about getting him in game shape and shaking the rust off than they are about performance. A healthy Champ for the playoffs would be a huge boost for this D. This is the right time for him to come back to be able to make an impact in the playoffs.

topscribe
12-22-2013, 12:55 PM
I take it for granted he'll only be out there if he brings more to the table than all alternatives; if not, we'll be back with Webster and/or Jammer. However, just because he's slowER doesn't mean he's SLOW; he may not be able to go stride for stride with a guy who runs a 4.3, especially after months of being a spectator even at practice, but I bet he can still beat a 4.5. The questions in my mind are 1) is his foot fully healed and 2) can he last a full game? A career in Mile High air may aid his endurance (though Houston air gets pretty thick and moist, petrochemicals aside.)
Exactly. How fast is a 4.2 player who has lost a step? Champ said in his presser
that he still has speed. Well, he's the one who has been out there running. He
should know . . .

Army Bronco
12-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Champ will get a pick 6
Duh; Schaub's playing: Pick-sixes for EVERYONE! :tongue:How funny if Knighton or even Mincey gets one today.

Timmy!
12-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Champ looked soooo much better today. Think his foot is feeling much better. We need him in 3 weeks.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Agreed, Champ looked really good today.

MasterShake
12-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Yeah I noticed Champ downfield on a few plays and he locked up the slot. Hope is is ready for a deep run!

Broncolingus
12-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah I noticed Champ downfield on a few plays and he locked up the slot. Hope is is ready for a deep run!

Me too...

...I think this is 'bout his last shot at that ring.

Ziggy
12-23-2013, 03:10 AM
Me too...

...I think this is 'bout his last shot at that ring.

I agree BL. Unless he decides to re-structure next season to try to win back to back super bowls 'ala' Elway on his way out the door.

gregbroncs
12-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Glad to have Champ back. He looked good for the first time this season. Hope he plays that way in the playoffs. If so Denver's defense could be much improved just from that.
Off topic those announcer's yesterday were pathetic. One of them went off on how Champ had not played in a while and they had not seen him. When he had been in for every play on that series and was in the center of the camera angle on the field while they were saying it. What a moron. I know they are not watching the TV but how hard is it to see a CB away from the bunch in the middle?

GEM
12-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Was he playing nickel yesterday? I saw him on the field but not opposite DRC.

Dzone
12-23-2013, 09:58 AM
He played good. We will have him for the super bowl run.

Cugel
12-23-2013, 12:03 PM

He was playing slot, with Chris Harris as the #2 CB. He locked up on Andre Johnson on that deep pass, and Champ was closer to the ball than Johnson.

Then when he came to the sideline I think it was Del Rio gave him a big hug and smile as if to say "welcome back!"

That was a highlight in the game. The announcers missed it, but the camera caught it on the sideline. I think he'll be OK 3 weeks from now in the playoffs.

As for people saying "he's done" after the season, if he wants to come back I think he could easily move to deep safety and play a couple more years. It's not as if he can't tackle a big RB or TE like some CBs. And he still has deep line speed. He probably doesn't have the acceleration he had even 2 years ago. But, at S he wouldn't need it.

TXBRONC
12-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Your eyes did not deceive you. They had Champ playing in the nickle.

Buff
12-23-2013, 01:11 PM
I like how the announcers were talking about how they hadn't seen him on the field much, while he was literally on the field during that play, and had been for all of the nickel action - which was quite a bit. Dan Fouts needs to follow Dierdorf into retirement.

tubby
12-23-2013, 01:25 PM
I like how the announcers were talking about how they hadn't seen him on the field much, while he was literally on the field during that play, and had been for all of the nickel action - which was quite a bit. Dan Fouts needs to follow Dierdorf into retirement.

I yelled at the TV "he's on the field right now you dumb shits!"

Bronco9798
12-23-2013, 01:28 PM
I saw him play the nickel a few times yesterday wearing off the rust. We'll see how he fares coming up. I prefer him on the slot guy and not on the corners. DRC and Harris can handle the corners fine.

NightTerror218
12-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Lined up in slot is great. Edelman is a slot guy and seems to have been our soft spot as well.