PDA

View Full Version : Attention Bronco DBs: Matt Schaub To Start For Texans

OrangeHoof
12-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Just announced in Houston. QB Case Keenum has a torn ligament in his right thumb. Matt Schaub will make the start for the Texans which means the DBs need to be ready for 5-yard crossing patterns regardless of down or distance and be prepared for some pick sixes.

Also RB Ben Tate joins Arian Foster on season-ending IR so undrafted FA Dennis Johnson will get the start at RB. He'll be that little guy who can't stop a blitzer.

CoachChaz
12-18-2013, 02:08 PM
We'll find a way to make them look good

Bronco9798
12-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Why do games like this scare me, and they shouldn't. We seem to always make bad teams look good, and lose games we shouldn't. I'll be sick if we lose the no#1 seed and the Chiefs get it.

OrangeHoof
12-18-2013, 02:17 PM
With the way both teams have played, it wouldn't shock me at all to see the Texans lead at halftime only to lose by 20 when it's all over.

VonDoom
12-18-2013, 02:23 PM
There's very little upside to playing a team that has lost twelve in a row. This game makes me squirmy in the same way that the Jacksonville game did earlier in the year. Just win, please, and move on.

We HAVE to be able to stop the run in this game, right?

Buff
12-18-2013, 02:32 PM
I could easily see Matt Schaub having a last gasp career game against our battered defense.

Houston isn't nearly as bad as their record indicates. They've just had horrific QB play all year.

Joel
12-18-2013, 02:34 PM
I've never been a big fan of Tate, and Johnson looked more effective to me this year (though Tate's been playing hurt a while.) But... Schaub?! Half the reason I wanted Manning to go to Houston? Good luck with that; he, not Kubiak, was the problem (though that Aggie kicker's no prize winner.)

I have two concerns this week: Keeping the rush off Manning and playing the run without Vickerson and Wolfe. Schaub's no threat to anyone but himself and Houstons secondary has a long lamentable history of giving up deep balls. Houston's also giving up 4.2 yds/att against the run, 21st in the league, so hopefully we can find some traction there to keep their pass rush honest.

NightTerror218
12-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Texas have lost 8 games but a TD or less. Moat of their games they had led at half time. If they do not have miscues they can beat us if we have to many. If we play like we did last week this ciukd be a bad game.

Northman
12-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Schaub goes for 300. I would probably be a little more worried if Kubes was still coaching but its good ol Wade so i think we should be able to squeek one out this week.

Mike
12-18-2013, 02:42 PM
We'll find a way to make them look good

His one good game will be against us this year. Schaub to Johnson connection will own us.

tripp
12-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Why do games like this scare me, and they shouldn't. We seem to always make bad teams look good, and lose games we shouldn't. I'll be sick if we lose the no#1 seed and the Chiefs get it.

I hear you. I can see Schaub shredding our defense. Why am I nervous to play a team that has won 2 games? Defense must restore confidence for the rest of the team.

NightTerror218
12-18-2013, 02:45 PM
I would hope thid is a coming out game for our defense. But they was del rio is playing with personel I don't think so.

VonDoom
12-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Yeah, the Texans have played a lot of good teams close this year. Then again, the Colts (who had been giving up 31+ points a game in their previous seven games) held them to three last week. So you never know.

OrangeHoof
12-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Texas have lost 8 games but a TD or less. Moat of their games they had led at half time. If they do not have miscues they can beat us if we have to many. If we play like we did last week this ciukd be a bad game.

Well said.

Joel
12-18-2013, 03:09 PM
His one good game will be against us this year. Schaub to Johnson connection will own us.
Except Johnson has pretty much been invisible when Schaub was starting, all the way back to last year (hence he stormed off the field after an earlier game when Kubes briefly benched Keenum for Schaub.) Keenum getting hurt is probably the worst possible news for Johnson; DeAndre Hopkins or Keyshawn Martin beating us with speed is a greater threat. If we stick DRC on Johnson and Harris on Hopkins we ought to be fine, but that's the kind of elementary gameplanning that's seemed beyond Del Rio this year.

Bronco9798
12-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Note to Del Rio:

Keep hating Champ and keep him on the bench! He will soon retire.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Note to Del Rio:

I'm not sure why you're implying that. Bailey has struggled with a lis franc injury all year. He was a full participant today however. So, we might see him this weekend.

Timmy!
12-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Broncos are going to smash them. 45-13

tubby
12-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Oh great. Schaub threw for 4 TD against the Broncos last year.

BroncoJoe
12-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Except Johnson has pretty much been invisible when Schaub was starting, all the way back to last year (hence he stormed off the field after an earlier game when Kubes briefly benched Keenum for Schaub.) Keenum getting hurt is probably the worst possible news for Johnson; DeAndre Hopkins or Keyshawn Martin beating us with speed is a greater threat. If we stick DRC on Johnson and Harris on Hopkins we ought to be fine, but that's the kind of elementary gameplanning that's seemed beyond Del Rio this year.

Man, I hope you don't ever have any kids.

BroncoJoe
12-18-2013, 05:13 PM
I think we crush them. It's not going to be pretty. Wade is going to wish he didn't take over because he's going to be gone after this year now too.

Bronco9798
12-18-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure why you're implying that. Bailey has struggled with a lis franc injury all year. He was a full participant today however. So, we might see him this weekend.

I hope not. Most put blame Moore for last years debacle in the playoff game. I always go back to Champ getting totally smoked for 2 TD's against Torrey Smith. He got wasted on those plays and everybody gives Champ a pass, I never did and never will. Hell, even a PI might have prevented at least one TD, who knows. I just see a 35 year old CB who likes playing off the LOS and gives up too much space. He used to be able and close, now he's lost a few steps. I don't want him in the game personally. I'll take my chances with Webster over Champ. Webster got a lot of heat in the SD game. But go back and look, he had good coverage, Rivers just made some darn good throws. Webster at least had tight coverage. Champ would of been toast. Champ will be gone next year. I think he's been healthy more times than not this year. His limited play this year has actually not been very good. I'm sure you remember the blow up him and JDR had on the sidelines this year for blowing a coverage. I think he's been in the dog house more than you think.

I've been a Champ fan since the Portis trade, but you know a washed up CB when you see one. Dude had the best open field tackling technique in the NFL for years. He covered an island for many years. It's time to go though!!! He's pretty much done in my opinion. I hope he stays where on the sidelines.

Joel
12-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Man, I hope you don't ever have any kids.
First one in about two weeks, as noted several times. If you're going to make comments on my personal life, that's the kind of elementary gameplanning that should be obligatory. ;)

Seriously though, Schaub quit throwing at Johnson halfway through last year and people started saying the WR was washed up; then a rookie second-string QB comes in and suddenly Andre Johnson's putting up consecutive 100 yd games and looking like Andre Johnson again. Again, when Schaub replaced Keenum at halftime of a tight game Johnson stormed off the field after the loss. He has as little faith in Schaub as everyone else, for the same reason. They could light us up though; anything's possible.

tomjonesrocks
12-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Schaub starting adds drama Denver didn't need.

Hopefully Denver comes out and plays to their talent level this week. If the offense is clicking they world still win in a barnburner. They just can't be shitty in 2 out of 3 phases of the game as they have been too often.

Buff
12-19-2013, 11:19 AM
I hope not. Most put blame Moore for last years debacle in the playoff game. I always go back to Champ getting totally smoked for 2 TD's against Torrey Smith. He got wasted on those plays and everybody gives Champ a pass, I never did and never will. Hell, even a PI might have prevented at least one TD, who knows. I just see a 35 year old CB who likes playing off the LOS and gives up too much space. He used to be able and close, now he's lost a few steps. I don't want him in the game personally. I'll take my chances with Webster over Champ. Webster got a lot of heat in the SD game. But go back and look, he had good coverage, Rivers just made some darn good throws. Webster at least had tight coverage. Champ would of been toast. Champ will be gone next year. I think he's been healthy more times than not this year. His limited play this year has actually not been very good. I'm sure you remember the blow up him and JDR had on the sidelines this year for blowing a coverage. I think he's been in the dog house more than you think.

I've been a Champ fan since the Portis trade, but you know a washed up CB when you see one. Dude had the best open field tackling technique in the NFL for years. He covered an island for many years. It's time to go though!!! He's pretty much done in my opinion. I hope he stays where on the sidelines.

He had a Pro Bowl season last year and then one really public bad game. This year his foot hasn't been right all year.

I think it's very en vogue to be down on Champ - and he is 35 and might be done - but I believe if he was healthy he'd be one of our top 2 DB options still. He certainly would be better than Webster.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-19-2013, 11:27 AM
He had a Pro Bowl season last year and then one really public bad game. This year his foot hasn't been right all year.

I think it's very en vogue to be down on Champ - and he is 35 and might be done - but I believe if he was healthy he'd be one of our top 2 DB options still. He certainly would be better than Webster.

I agree man, I think Champ is still pretty good. He had really tight coverage on all those crossing routes against Bowe. I think if he's healthy he and DRC are 1a and 1b.

MOtorboat
12-19-2013, 11:35 AM

If he hadn't had the injury, he'd still be a Top 10 corner in the league. He was top 4 last year. The way people talk about his performance, it's as if he stopped being good five years ago.

Mike
12-19-2013, 12:39 PM
If he hadn't had the injury, he'd still be a Top 10 corner in the league. He was top 4 last year. The way people talk about his performance, it's as if he stopped being good five years ago.

It's just frustrating to not have him on the field. If he is healthy, Denver is a much better team. DRC, Champ, Harris would be a very good secondary. However, your secondary is only as good as your pass rush.

I am still hoping for him to get healthy and out on the field.

Joel
12-19-2013, 12:39 PM

That really is the bottom line: Teams need three quality starting CBs today, and Webster isn't ready to be that #3, while Carter's hit and miss (and too often "hits" too much.) So unless Champs so old and beat up he'll never play again, I have to think he's still better than either of them if he's healthy enough to play; I'd be pretty comfortable with Champ, DRC and Harris in ANY distribution that didn't make Webster or Carter our nickelback. The only other option is Jammer, but he's lost at least as much speed as Champ, and didn't have the same skills even in his prime.

So unless we want to turn Bolden back into a CB, we'd be crazy to keep Champ on the bench if he's healthy. As much as he's been sidelined with an injury hard to practice on he may need some time to get fully back into game shape, but DRC on speedsters, Champ on vets and Harris in the slot is a very desirable (perhaps indispensable) playoff lineup.

MOtorboat
12-19-2013, 12:41 PM
It's just frustrating to not have him on the field. If he is healthy, Denver is a much better team. DRC, Champ, Harris would be a very good secondary. However, your secondary is only as good as your pass rush.

I am still hoping for him to get healthy and out on the field.

I don't think we're going to see him fully healthy this season. That's a tough injury.

Apollo
12-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Note to Del Rio:

Bringing a player back before they are 100% healthy can result in serious implications for the longevity of his career. Champ is a bigger asset to the Broncos if he comes back next season 100% and give us another couple of good seasons than if he comes back 50/50 and picks up a really nasty injury on the back of his current one, forcing him to retire at the end of the season.

Bluenornge4life
12-19-2013, 01:05 PM
I would be more concerned about this game if the Broncos hadn't just lost a game & had 10 days to prepare for the Texans. I think they'll come out rested, angry, and take it to the Texans.

Bronco9798
12-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Champ is done. He's 35 years old we've gone 11-3 without him. Please don't tell me that we are a better team with him, cause we're not. I think he's been healthier than most people believe and Del Rio is doing the right thing by not playing him. He never liked press coverage and has always played off his man. He used to be able to close, he just can't do it anymore. You will never convince me he's a top 5 or 10 CB in this league anymore.

Bronco9798
12-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Bringing a player back before they are 100% healthy can result in serious implications for the longevity of his career. Champ is a bigger asset to the Broncos if he comes back next season 100% and give us another couple of good seasons than if he comes back 50/50 and picks up a really nasty injury on the back of his current one, forcing him to retire at the end of the season.

He won't be in a Bronco uniform next year. He will be retired.

Joel
12-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Champ is done. He's 35 years old we've gone 11-3 without him. Please don't tell me that we are a better team with him, cause we're not. I think he's been healthier than most people believe and Del Rio is doing the right thing by not playing him. He never liked press coverage and has always played off his man. He used to be able to close, he just can't do it anymore. You will never convince me he's a top 5 or 10 CB in this league anymore.
Once again: Is he better than Webster, Jammer and Carter? If the answer's "yes" and he's healthy, we need a nickelback much better than any of those three, however we get there.

tubby
12-19-2013, 01:19 PM
With all signs pointing to Champ starting this Sunday we won't have to wait long to see what he's got.

Bronco9798
12-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Once again: Is he better than Webster, Jammer and Carter? If the answer's "yes" and he's healthy, we need a nickelback much better than any of those three, however we get there.

I respectfully disagree with you. But we all have our opinions.

OrangeHoof
12-19-2013, 01:35 PM
More bad news. CBS has Ian Eagle calling the game, which is usually the guy the Texans play their best in front of. Bronco fans will also get to enjoy Dan Fouts again too. "The Beard and The Bird".

Still, I think Houston will lose. Half the team has quit and the other half is injured. They are a shell of what Denver saw last year. They still have Andre Johnson and J.J. Watt but much of the team around them are either beat up or beat down.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-19-2013, 01:38 PM
More bad news. CBS has Ian Eagle calling the game, which is usually the guy the Texans play their best in front of. Bronco fans will also get to enjoy Dan Fouts again too. "The Beard and The Bird".

Still, I think Houston will lose. Half the team has quit and the other half is injured. They are a shell of what Denver saw last year. They still have Andre Johnson and J.J. Watt but much of the team around them are either beat up or beat down.

Dan Fouts usually has at least one snide comment about the Broncos during his broadcast....I will say he has mellowed a bit with Manning behind the helm. He tends to be a little more respectful because he knows Manning is a great QB.

Mike
12-19-2013, 02:14 PM

No offense, but you don't have insider information and you don't know what the hell you are talking about, so don't try to act like you do.

Denver is 11-3 because of the offense, not the defense. The defense has been crap and Denver loses if the offense doesn't bring their A game. Champ is beyond a doubt the 2nd best corner on the team and immediately makes the secondary better. He has certainly lost a step and requires safety help, but that doesn't mean he is done.

tripp
12-19-2013, 02:19 PM

I used to hate Phil Sims and Jim Nantz calling our games, couldn't help but feel like we were 2 - 10 when they announced games. Drove me nuts, we seem to have much better luck this year. Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth however..

Bronco9798
12-19-2013, 02:49 PM
No offense, but you don't have insider information and you don't know what the hell you are talking about, so don't try to act like you do.

Denver is 11-3 because of the offense, not the defense. The defense has been crap and Denver loses if the offense doesn't bring their A game. Champ is beyond a doubt the 2nd best corner on the team and immediately makes the secondary better. He has certainly lost a step and requires safety help, but that doesn't mean he is done.

No offense to you either but you can kiss my butt. I never quoted insider information. I gave my opinion. That's all. Champ is not the 2nd best CB on team. Of course it's been the offense that has carried the team dummy. It don't take a ******* genius to figure that out. That's not what the discussion was about. Why don't you pay attention.

Bronco9798
12-19-2013, 03:07 PM

He really made the secondary better against Baltimore last year in the playoffs when he gave up 2 TD's in the playoff game last year against Baltimore. You can hang all over his jock all you want. You will never convince me that he makes our defense any better than what it is right now. And that ain't saying much. But, he does nothing to make it better. And these are my opinions.

VonDoom
12-19-2013, 03:31 PM

This is kind of where I'm at. I think Champ is basically done (we won't see him in a Bronco uniform after this year, and maybe not in any uniform) but the three guys you mentioned have been bad. I'm hoping if he's actually healed and rested that he can provide SOMETHING, since no one else seems to be able to. Hell, Webster isn't even playing in this game. Could Champ be worse than Carter? I somehow doubt it at this point.

VonDoom
12-19-2013, 03:36 PM

Okay, but the good news is that Hochuli is the ref. Better than Vinovich or Parry, right? :lol:

Northman
12-19-2013, 03:39 PM

No offense to you either but you can kiss my butt. I never quoted insider information. I gave my opinion. That's all. Champ is not the 2nd best CB on team. Of course it's been the offense that has carried the team dummy. It don't take a ******* genius to figure that out. That's not what the discussion was about. Why don't you pay attention.

He really made the secondary better against Baltimore last year in the playoffs when he gave up 2 TD's in the playoff game last year against Baltimore. You can hang all over his jock all you want. You will never convince me that he makes our defense any better than what it is right now. And that ain't saying much. But, he does nothing to make it better. And these are my opinions.

:pop2:

Mike
12-19-2013, 03:52 PM

Saying stupid shit like he has been healthy and Del Rio is doing the smart thing by not playing him is nothing more than throwing crap at the wall. It is moronic speculation. That is what I was addressing. Unless you have something to back that comment up, sit the hell down and shut the hell up. You're free to have whatever stupid ass opinion you want, but don't get butt hurt when you get called on it.

He was left alone last year in Baltimore. He is getting old and can't be an island anymore. That happens. All it means is you give him support, like other CBs. It doesn't mean he can't play anymore. He is better than Carter, Webster, and Jammer even hurt. He is better than Harris when healthy. Denver's defense is better with a healthy Champ Bailey. Webster isn't ready and Carter/Jammer stink...it isn't as if I am going out on a limb in saying Denver is better with a healthy Bailey.

Bronco9798
12-19-2013, 04:16 PM
You're the friggin moron going off on a person that has an opinion. Why don't you just calm down and quit getting your butt feelings hurt cause you want to slobber all over Champ. I think he's done. That's my opinion. I don't give a **** if you like it or not. I don't think Del Rio wants to play him. When Champ played this year Del RIo wasn't too happy with him on several occasions. All you have to do is watch the friggin game and watch when the camera went to the side line when Champ blew a coverage and Del Rio was all over his ass. And he never played again. I think he's been healthy at times, enough to play, and Del Rio went another direction. And I don't give a rats ass if you agree with that or not. I don't think he gives us any more of an advantage than any other CB on this team. Again, that's my opinion *******. So you take your views and live with them and I'll do the same. I personally don't give a damn what you think about my opinion and why you have to get your little stained girlie panties in a wad over what I post.

BroncoJoe
12-19-2013, 04:17 PM
BOOM goes the dynomite!

Bronco9798
12-19-2013, 04:18 PM
BOOM goes the dynomite!

Dudes in total retard mode.

OrangeHoof
12-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Okay, but the good news is that Hochuli is the ref. Better than Vinovich or Parry, right? :lol:

Yeah, Hochuli is one of my favs along with Mike Carey. I don't always like their calls but they seem honest and fair. Some of the others like Jeff Tripplette make me wonder why they're still in the league.

Bronco9798
12-19-2013, 04:30 PM
I saw you deleted your last post. Good idea. BTW, you're out of milk. Need to get some next time you're out.

Bronco9798
12-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Time is the one opponent no athlete can escape. Eventually the clock will run out.

Father Time is catching up to Champ Bailey, a 12-time Pro Bowl selection who is in his 15th NFL season.

On the final drive Sunday, with the Denver Broncos leading the Kansas City Chiefs by just seven points in a pivotal AFC West matchup, Bailey was benched in favor of rookie Kayvon Webster and little-used veteran Quentin Jammer.

Bailey was not out for an injury. Coaches pulled the All-Pro.
"I've got to get my mind back right, got to get my body back right," Bailey said, per The Denver Post. "That combination, plus being 35, it's tough. It's a tough game. It's a young man's game."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000291574/article/denver-broncos-champ-bailey-benched-on-key-drive

slim
12-19-2013, 06:00 PM
lol

TXBRONC
12-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Webster's biggest problem is that he's still very raw. I agree if Bailey were healthy our secondary would be in much better shape.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-19-2013, 07:00 PM
You're the friggin moron going off on a person that has an opinion. Why don't you just calm down and quit getting your butt feelings hurt cause you want to slobber all over Champ. I think he's done. That's my opinion. I don't give a **** if you like it or not. I don't think Del Rio wants to play him. When Champ played this year Del RIo wasn't too happy with him on several occasions. All you have to do is watch the friggin game and watch when the camera went to the side line when Champ blew a coverage and Del Rio was all over his ass. And he never played again. I think he's been healthy at times, enough to play, and Del Rio went another direction. And I don't give a rats ass if you agree with that or not. I don't think he gives us any more of an advantage than any other CB on this team. Again, that's my opinion *******. So you take your views and live with them and I'll do the same. I personally don't give a damn what you think about my opinion and why you have to get your little stained girlie panties in a wad over what I post.

I'm not gonna get involved in this argument. I just thought I would point out what I believe you want to say there is, "quit getting your feelings butt hurt".

:laugh:

Dzone
12-19-2013, 07:39 PM
This is Houstons last home game of the season. What better way to make up for a dreadful season than to beat the Broncos in front of the home town fans and give Wade a Gatorade shower. At least this game is early in the day , that allows more time for recovery in case we lose. :mad: