PDA

View Full Version : hot sauces

NightTerror218
12-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Wonder what kind people like. So far I like sriatchi, franks and cholula.

Want to expand horizons to some hotter stuff as well.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm particular about Tabasco. I always have it in the fridge. I really don't use anything else.

NightTrainLayne
12-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Tabasco and Sriracha are great.

I love Fuzzy's Taco Butt-Burnin' sauce.

slim
12-18-2013, 08:09 AM
I love Fuzzy's Taco Butt-Burnin' sauce.

Freak.

WTE
12-18-2013, 08:52 AM
My son brought home some of this and sabotaged the family. A pin drop of it will destroy you. Anybody ever try it?

BroncoJoe
12-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Franks.

MasterShake
12-18-2013, 09:05 AM
My son brought home some of this and sabotaged the family. A pin drop of it will destroy you. Anybody ever try it?

I've had something similar that made my mouth burn for hours and ruined everything it touched. It had a picture of a donkey on it and said something like "Its Kick Yo Ass Hot!"

This thread reminds me of my YouTube here L.A. Beast who eats things that people recommend. Watch the video at your own risk, I'm can't remember if this is one of the ones he vomits in :

toJDo046mm4

EDIT: Just watched it. Yes, drinking Sriracha does make you vomit.

claymore
12-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Never been a huge fan of Sriracha. I liked it at first, but it tasted to asian-y after awhile. Is there fish sauce in it??? I love the Tabasco habanero sauce. Love the Yucateco line. Red being my favorite, and their chipolte is awesome. I hated chipolte until I tried this sauce.

MasterShake
12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Never been a huge fan of Sriracha. I liked it at first, but it tasted to asian-y after awhile. Is there fish sauce in it??? I love the Tabasco habanero sauce. Love the Yucateco line. Red being my favorite, and their chipolte is awesome. I hated chipolte until I tried this sauce.

A lot of hot sauces I have seen have fish ingredients. Most of the better buffalo sauces always have sardines in them for some reason. I think the oils help with the flavor or something.

claymore
12-18-2013, 09:40 AM
A lot of hot sauces I have seen have fish ingredients. Most of the better buffalo sauces always have sardines in them for some reason. I think the oils help with the flavor or something.
Huh, didnt know that. I noticed it in the Sriracha over hashbrowns. Damn near ruined it for me. I know in BBQ the oils break down the seasoning in a rub, so maybe its the same science.

artie_dale
12-18-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm a huge Cholula fan. We always have the various flavors. Even the kids love it. I mostly love the taste, it's not hot though. Tabasco has always been too tangy for me, but I definitely used it when we had to eat MRE's out in the field.

Slick
12-18-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't mess with bottled hot sauces any more. I can't have preservatives or conservatives, or any artificial stuff in my diet anymore.

Clay, the Yucateco sauces were my favorite too. I used to get a sleeve of Ritz crackers, put pieces of fresh avocado on them and douse them in the Yucateco habanero sauce.

Now I just take a fresh habanero, seeds and all, and dice it finely. Toss it into a small bowl and squeeze a few fresh limes and that's it. Fresh habanero salsa in a couple of minutes. That or take a couple habaneros and a clove of garlic, puree them with a drizzle of olive oil. Also very good.

I can't stand that vinegary taste of some of the bottled sauces.

CoachChaz
12-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Cholula and Tapatio for Mexican foods...Louisiana Hot Sauce for cajun foods...Stubbs for BBQ...Tabasco for everything else

turftoad
12-18-2013, 11:34 AM
If you haven't tried it, the Chili Pepper Sauce from Trader Joes is real good on everything.

CoachChaz
12-18-2013, 11:38 AM
If you haven't tried it, the Chili Pepper Sauce from Trader Joes is real good on everything.

Their BBQ sauce is really good too

claymore
12-18-2013, 11:52 AM
I don't mess with bottled hot sauces any more. I can't have preservatives or conservatives, or any artificial stuff in my diet anymore.

Clay, the Yucateco sauces were my favorite too. I used to get a sleeve of Ritz crackers, put pieces of fresh avocado on them and douse them in the Yucateco habanero sauce.

Now I just take a fresh habanero, seeds and all, and dice it finely. Toss it into a small bowl and squeeze a few fresh limes and that's it. Fresh habanero salsa in a couple of minutes. That or take a couple habaneros and a clove of garlic, puree them with a drizzle of olive oil. Also very good.

Im going to try that with the lime and Habenero. Have you tried jalapenos w lime? I know what you mean about the vinegar. I cant stand pickled jalapenos. I have to have them fresh.,

Slick
12-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Im going to try that with the lime and Habenero. Have you tried jalapenos w lime? I know what you mean about the vinegar. I cant stand pickled jalapenos. I have to have them fresh.,

I haven't tried that with jalapenos. Estela will sometimes take a couple jalapenos, or chile de arbol (little bit hotter than a jalapeno), and stick them in the blender with either a couple of tomatoes and a clove of garlic (for a fresh red salsa) or with a couple of tomatillos (for a green salsa)

We use it when we make tacos or tostadas at home. Really good.

claymore
12-18-2013, 12:03 PM
I haven't tried that with jalapenos. Estela will sometimes take a couple jalapenos, or chile de arbol (little bit hotter than a jalapeno), and stick them in the blender with either a couple of tomatoes and a clove of garlic (for a fresh red salsa) or with a couple of tomatillos (for a green salsa)

We use it when we make tacos or tostadas at home. Really good.
That sounds good. Im so hungry now. Never got into making salsa, but its something ive always wanted to do.

SR
12-18-2013, 01:17 PM
I like Tapatillo and Valentina.

slim
12-18-2013, 02:48 PM

This is where I'm at. My wife planted a bunch of thai chili bushes last summer, so now I just pick a couple, mince them and add it to whatever I'm eating. Much better than any bottled hot sauce.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 03:19 PM

There's nothing artificial in Tobasco. It's ingredients are salt, vinegar, red pepper, and water.

MasterShake
12-18-2013, 03:32 PM

We are finally getting a Trader Joes in Colorado. Can't wait!

tomjonesrocks
12-18-2013, 04:06 PM

Really. I love TJs but am stuck on my staples with hot sauce (Cholula/Tapatio/Sriracha, Louisiana if it's going in a drink) as far as hot sauces go and never gave it a chance. Will have to try it.

DESPISE Tabasco, ugh, that stuff is awful.

What Franks are you guys getting for buffalo sauce? I tried one variety and it was really vinegary. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something.

Slick
12-18-2013, 06:29 PM
There's nothing artificial in Tobasco. It's ingredients are salt, vinegar, red pepper, and water.

The vinegar ruins it for me Mr Mayor.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
The vinegar ruins it for me Mr Mayor.

You can't have vinegar?

Slick
12-18-2013, 06:51 PM
You can't have vinegar?

I don't like the way it tastes. I can eat or drink it if I wanted to. Once I started making fresh salsas I found that I like them better.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 07:03 PM
I don't like the way it tastes. I can eat or drink it if I wanted to. Once I started making fresh salsas I found that I like them better.

Fresh Salsas definitely are the bomb. I just like to put tobasco on my pizza and also eggs.

Slick
12-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Fresh Salsas definitely are the bomb. I just like to put tobasco on my pizza and also eggs.

I'm not hating on anyone's preference so I hope I don't sound like a salsa snob. I like the acidity coming from a lime/citrus instead of the vinegar. One of the reasons why I preferred some of the Texas barbecue sauces over the ones I had in the Carolinas, I think. The damn vinegar.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm not hating on anyone's preference so I hope I don't sound like a salsa snob. I like the acidity coming from a lime/citrus instead of the vinegar. One of the reasons why I preferred some of the Texas barbecue sauces over the ones I had in the Carolinas, I think. The damn vinegar.

I agree with you in that regard. When I get Mexican I don't use tobasco. I like the authentic ingredients combined with a fresh squeezed lime. Pizza however, gotta have my tobasco. :D

I guess to some extent I do like vinegar. I use wine vinegar in a lot of my marinades, and also use it in the authentic ceasar dressing I make. I make authentic ceasar quite a bit. My family loves it.

Slick
12-18-2013, 07:23 PM
What about those red chili flakes on your pizza? I got a Hawaiian from the local joint and I enjoyed the heat contrast with the pineapple.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 07:27 PM
What about those red chili flakes on your pizza? I got a Hawaiian from the local joint and I enjoyed the heat contrast with the pineapple.

No, I don't do the flakes. The tobasco brings out the flavor of the pizza sauce. My son was two the first time I put tobasco on his pizza. I'll never forget what happened. :laugh:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Slick-

Is ceasar salad pretty common down there? It was actually invented in Tijuana.

Slick
12-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Slick-

Is ceasar salad pretty common down there? It was actually invented in Tijuana.

I see it on most menus so I would say yes although I don't see many mexicans eating salads. Since I live here this part of Mexico anyways, the menus are geared towards the tourists. If I go eat at a little Mom and Pop joint off the beaten path you won't see them on the menu. Tacos, tostadas, sopes, salbutes, basically stuff on or inside a corn tortilla.

SR
12-18-2013, 07:47 PM

I hate Tobasco for the same reason as Slick. I would much rather have Frank's, Cholula, Tapatillo, or Valentina.

SR
12-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I agree with you in that regard. When I get Mexican I don't use tobasco. I like the authentic ingredients combined with a fresh squeezed lime. Pizza however, gotta have my tobasco. :D I guess to some extent I do like vinegar. I use wine vinegar in a lot of my marinades, and also use it in the authentic ceasar dressing I make. I make authentic ceasar quite a bit. My family loves it.

Apple Cider Vinegar in marinades = delish

Slick
12-18-2013, 07:56 PM
I hate Tobasco for the same reason as Slick. I would much rather have Frank's, Cholula, Tapatillo, or Valentina.

When I first moved down here I went out with the administrator of my apartment building once. She asked to go to the movies, not my idea for a first date, and she drowned our popcorn in Valentina. I didn't like it and obviously it turned the popcorn all soggy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 07:59 PM
I see it on most menus so I would say yes although I don't see many mexicans eating salads. Since I live here this part of Mexico anyways, the menus are geared towards the tourists. If I go eat at a little Mom and Pop joint off the beaten path you won't see them on the menu. Tacos, tostadas, sopes, salbutes, basically stuff on or inside a corn tortilla.

That's interesting. I'll bet the vast majority of Mexicans don't know that ceasar salad is Mexican.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Apple Cider Vinegar in marinades = delish

I'm gonna make my Black Butte marinade again soon. I tried it on liver because I forgot how awful liver is. I think on a nice venison steak it will be awesome.

Slick
12-18-2013, 08:01 PM
That's interesting. I'll bet the vast majority of Mexicans don't know that ceasar salad is Mexican.

I had no idea. You educated me today.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I had no idea. You educated me today.

If you read through all of my posts the education will be broadened. :laugh:

SR
12-18-2013, 08:14 PM
When I first moved down here I went out with the administrator of my apartment building once. She asked to go to the movies, not my idea for a first date, and she drowned our popcorn in Valentina. I didn't like it and obviously it turned the popcorn all soggy.

Hot sauce on popcorn? Gross! I go through phases with hot sauce and spicy food in general. Sometimes that's all I want and I'll put hot sauce on damn near everything except cereal and ice cream, but other times spicy is just not appealing at all.

I had some wings from Pizza hut about a month ago and they were covered in Franks wing sauce. It would've been good if the wings were better quality and they didn't bathe them in the sauce.

SR
12-18-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm gonna make my Black Butte marinade again soon. I tried it on liver because I forgot how awful liver is. I think on a nice venison steak it will be awesome.

I want to make that Maui Brewing Company marinade for the Kona Coffee crusted steak that I posted about in the beer thread a while back. Gotta go back south so I can get Maui Brewing brews again.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 09:08 PM
I want to make that Maui Brewing Company marinade for the Kona Coffee crusted steak that I posted about in the beer thread a while back. Gotta go back south so I can get Maui Brewing brews again.

I haven't been Overly impressed with anything I've tried from them.

turftoad
12-18-2013, 09:39 PM

And that was the last date, dammit!!! That beotch!

Dapper Dan
12-18-2013, 10:35 PM
I started using hot sauce for some of the crappy military food. Then I started using it for the crappy food at work. I'm not really picky about my hot sauce. I think the green kind is a little weird. I like the usual kinds. Tabasco. Louisiana. Texas Pete.

tomjonesrocks
12-18-2013, 11:45 PM
I want to make that Maui Brewing Company marinade for the Kona Coffee crusted steak that I posted about in the beer thread a while back. Gotta go back south so I can get Maui Brewing brews again. Holy crap that sounds good. The recipe is here someplace?

Just marinade in Maui coconut porter and that's it?

tomjonesrocks
12-18-2013, 11:46 PM

Maui is a solid brewery. But, it all depends on what you like.

SR
12-19-2013, 07:25 AM

Their only good beer IMO is their cocoanut porter.

SR
12-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Holy crap that sounds good. The recipe is here someplace? Just marinade in Maui coconut porter and that's it?

I didn't post the recipe but I mentioned it. Ill get I for you. PM me in case I forget...I tend to do that.

PatriotsGuy
12-20-2013, 10:16 AM
I use sriracha, cholula, franks, tabasco and I'm sure others I am forgetting. I love hot sauce

Thnikkaman
12-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Tabasco is Ghey.

I like slick prefer the freshly made hot sauces. Otherwise it's Sriracha this:

http://www.sammcgees.com/img/1302EL/el-yucateco-salsa-picante-de-chile-habanero-green-8oz-hot-sauce_1_std.jpg

or this

http://www.gotethnicfoods.com/pictures/Regular/CHS007.jpg

That black bean in chili paste is my staple on eggs.

TessM
04-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Try XXXtra Hot Sauce (I can't think of who makes it) or Fire Roasted Habanero Sauce by the same company. You can get them at World Market or maybe your "ethnic food" aisle at your local grocery store.

Buff
04-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Tess, who is your favorite Bronco player?