PDA

View Full Version : Elway Hopes Loss Serves as Springboard

Denver Native (Carol)
12-17-2013, 08:19 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – With just two weeks remaining in the 2013 regular season, Broncos Executive Vice
President of Football Operations John Elway sat down with Chris Hall of Broncos TV to talk about taking care of business heading into the postseason in the Week 16 edition of Elway Access presented by US Bank FlexPerks.

The Broncos clinched a playoff berth after beating the Titans 51-28 in Week 14 but a loss to the Chargers temporarily took the Broncos’ hopes of claiming the top spot in the conference and home-field advantage out of their hands. But on Sunday, the Dolphins beat the Patriots to put the Broncos right back where they were – in the driver’s seat.

The loss to the Chargers, Elway said, was an important wakeup call.

“I think that especially with the way things worked out this weekend, it was the best thing that could have happened to us,” Elway said. “And even if it hadn’t happened with the losses and we hadn’t gotten back into controlling our own destiny for the first seed, we needed that to happen. I think we needed that reboot. We need to reset, we need to go back, we need to focus on what’s important, what went for us when we were playing well.”

rest - plus Elway video
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Elway-Hopes-Loss-Serves-as-Springboard/3b771e74-8aad-4d5f-98c1-6e29d10147df

JPPT1974
12-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Yeah as they need the defense to work on. In order to make a run at the playoffs. As it is the defense that needs the work. Peyton and the offense can't just keep winning the games for the team! When it all comes down to it, it is the defense that wins your the game!

Ziggy
12-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Yeah as they need the defense to work on. In order to make a run at the playoffs. As it is the defense that needs the work. Peyton and the offense can't just keep winning the games for the team! When it all comes down to it, it is the defense that wins your the game!

If that was true, we'd be 0-13 according to most people in this forum.

OrangeHoof
12-17-2013, 10:37 PM
The Texans would seem like a perfect tonic for getting everyone back in sync. Then a tune-up with the more-challenging Raiders before the playoffs. Get some of our players well again (Welker, Wolfe, DR-C) and we should be good to go.

zbeg
12-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Hopefully the Patriots and Chiefs lose, that way Denver can lock up the #1 seed before week 17 and keep the guys off the field and heal up for the playoffs. Two weeks off would do wonders for this team right now.

tripp
12-18-2013, 12:00 PM
I like our chances at Houston than if we had played Houston in Denver...

Joel
12-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Maybe Elway and the team are thinking the same thing I was: That the SD to SD stretch was a grueling stretch that would make or break us. A lot of folks saw the month after the bye that way, but it was clear from the start Tennessee and the SD rematch would be just as critical unless we won EVERY game in the month following the bye, and we didn't. We're fortunate not just that Miami beat NE, but that SD also beat KC on the road, but we accomplished a lot sweeping KC, too. We can't coast, but it should be much easier now.

In terms of wake up calls or anything like that though, that was—or should've been—last years playoff loss, and if that didn't do it 4 turnovers that cost us a win in Mannings return to Indy, or 4 more to blow a 24-0 road lead against Brady and the hated Cheatriots, were more than enough. If we couldn't maintain our focus after all THAT, we never had it in the first place.

The Texans would seem like a perfect tonic for getting everyone back in sync. Then a tune-up with the more-challenging Raiders before the playoffs. Get some of our players well again (Welker, Wolfe, DR-C) and we should be good to go.
If we use Houston or anyone else as a tuneup we deserve to lose playoff homefield, and very well may. Despite many key injuries and FA losses, they're better than their record, with only 4 losses by >1 score. Their U of H QB keeps flirting with victory only to be thwarted by their Dumb Aggie kicker, who could've doubled their wins were he a bit more accurate. Still and so, a third of the NFC wishes Schaub hadn't thrown the pick six that let Seattle reach OT against Houston; without that the Texans would be one of just three teams that beat Seattle this year.

Joel
12-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Meh. I've never seen a Houston team (and I've seen most) that didn't prefer their dome to Denver in December and January. At this point I think Mannings historical postseason challenge hasn't been so much the cold as facing playoff teams in stadiums they know far better in front of crowds roaring over his endless string of audibles.

He did fine his last two games in Denver; I know many people have questioned his last performance against SD, but he completed 66% of his passes and had a PR of 92.43. That's just not enough when the D can't make a stop and, when they finally do, literally half our drives start inside our 11. That game's on our D and STs, not Mannings 2:00 Drill Int.

GEM
12-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Win it for Kubes! :D

capt. Jack
12-19-2013, 09:59 AM
To be completely honest with everyone, I am totally nervous now, because I know we can win it all! If we don't screw it up! I believe we can beat anybody on an givin' Sunday! We are that good, it all just has to come together now!

Agucua
12-22-2013, 05:02 AM
These next 2 games are about building to get ready for the playoffs (which we are in). Winning is important BUT playing well and keeping healthy are more important...GO!! BRONCOS!!!

Broncolingus
12-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Would've liked to have seen us a little more dominant early, and certainly have stayed a little more healthy, but overall on track after one-week...

BroncoWave
12-22-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm not gonna, it's pretty worrisome how bad our o-line was today. Between all the penalties and all the pressure on Manning their performance was a joke for the most part. Especially Franklin.