PDA

View Full Version : Walton Waived

NightTerror218
12-17-2013, 05:47 PM
JD Walton waived to make room for new DE Mincey. Per Denver Post.

Did not see that coming. Good to hear we could have Wolfe still come back.

Ziggy
12-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Some might disagree with this, but JD was always the weakest link on this offensive line. This isn't a big loss or a big surprise.

NightTerror218
12-17-2013, 05:55 PM
I am suprised with out lack of C depth.

DenBronx
12-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I thought our current C was doing fine. Walton is the odd man out at the moment. We most likely will pick him back at some point down the road but right now the DL is in dire need of depth.

underrated29
12-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Thats actually good news. I think Manram is a much better C then JD or the pats guy that also went on IR. I am glad going into the offseason that we will not be moving Manram. he is big and strong as a C. A Cornerstone if you will. Its the LG spot I am most worried about.

Joel
12-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Been waiting for this, actually; the only mild surprise is it took so long. With Vallos and Kuper Walton was probably only third string at C or G, and not a great option even there.

Dzone
12-17-2013, 06:24 PM
alligator arms ...oh well, hope JD can still have a career in the league somewhere

Dapper Dan
12-17-2013, 06:30 PM
He struggled a little early on, but he was young. Then he didn't seem to fully heal. I hope he's got his degree and a backup plan. I don't know if he's going to make it.

VonDoom
12-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Not surprising. Has he been active since officially being with the team this year? That does mean that they're holding out hope for Wolfe to play again this year

SR
12-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Thats actually good news. I think Manram is a much better C then JD or the pats guy that also went on IR. I am glad going into the offseason that we will not be moving Manram. he is big and strong as a C. A Cornerstone if you will. Its the LG spot I am most worried about.

Koppen is better than Ramirez

BroncoWave
12-17-2013, 06:45 PM

Koppen is also in his late 30s and will likely never play another snap for the Broncos. Nor should he. Ramirez is young and is playing pretty darn well.

SR
12-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Koppen is also in his late 30s and will likely never play another snap for the Broncos. Nor should he. Ramirez is young and is playing pretty darn well.

Koppen is 34, not "late 30s".

LawDog
12-17-2013, 07:12 PM

In NFL terms that is a distinction without much of a difference. He's at an age where he doesn't have a lot of playing time left, especially for an O-lineman.

BroncoWave
12-17-2013, 07:17 PM

My point still stands that Koppen never plays another snap for Denver, and that he shouldn't.

Joel
12-17-2013, 07:20 PM
My point still stands that Koppen never plays another snap for Denver, and that he shouldn't.
I agree he's better than Ramirez, but (IIRC) he was officially retired when we re-signed him; then he immediately had a season-ending injury. I doubt he plays again for ANYONE.

DenBronx
12-17-2013, 07:37 PM
If Manning keeps playing then I see no reason why Koppen wouldnt also be here next year. I dont care if he is 34, he was our best C.

BroncoWave
12-17-2013, 07:39 PM
If Manning keeps playing then I see no reason why Koppen wouldnt also be here next year. I dont care if he is 34, he was our best C.

He was retired last offseason. Then suffered a season-ending injury. Do you really think he is going to try ANOTHER comeback. And by that point he will be 35 and will not have played in 2 years. What do you think the odds are that he is still any good after all of that?

jhildebrand
12-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Another brick from the shanty that was the McDaniels regime bites the dust!

underrated29
12-17-2013, 08:59 PM

You think so?
I'm not sure I agree. Manram has been holding up excellently and has been really solid getting push in the run game.

topscribe
12-17-2013, 09:53 PM
I agree he's better than Ramirez, but (IIRC) he was officially retired when we re-signed him; then he immediately had a season-ending injury. I doubt he plays again for ANYONE.
He WAS a better center. I don't think he is now at his age. Moreover, was he a
better center in his first year at that position than Manny is, in his first year? He
might have been. I dunno. Just asking . . .

NightTerror218
12-17-2013, 11:10 PM
He was retired last offseason. Then suffered a season-ending injury. Do you really think he is going to try ANOTHER comeback. And by that point he will be 35 and will not have played in 2 years. What do you think the odds are that he is still any good after all of that?

And he played awesome last season. He may be older but he is smart as hell and quick off snapping ball.

But season ending knee surgery right? He might not be the same. I still think draft a center that can help in run blockimg and add depth

Joel
12-18-2013, 09:48 AM
He WAS a better center. I don't think he is now at his age. Moreover, was he a
better center in his first year at that position than Manny is, in his first year? He
might have been. I dunno. Just asking . . .
I don't know either, but I'd bet on the 23 year-old center drafted as a center over the 30 year-old converted guard. But you're right the relevant question is at least partly whether he's better than Ramirez now, not ten years ago. Whether he's willing is also relevant; I imagine a big motive in his retirement was avoiding things like the torn ACL he suffered a week after we lured him back onto the field. Dude's 34, has 3 SB Rings and a surgically repaired ACL: He's done. If he wants to play we should invite hiim to camp, but don't hold your breath.

CoachChaz
12-18-2013, 12:08 PM
It still amazes me to see so much hatred for Manny. Makes me wonder how many people watch anything more than the skill players during the games.

Dapper Dan
12-18-2013, 12:13 PM
It still amazes me to see so much hatred for Manny. Makes me wonder how many people watch anything more than the skill players during the games.

You mean "the ragdoll".

BroncoNut
12-18-2013, 12:42 PM
cool. did you wave back?

Joel
12-18-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't wonder much. It's better than it was before the last Cowboys dynasty made offensive linemen sexy, but even now most people who pay any attention to the line just watch the tackles to see if a Reggie White or LT gets by them. Sometimes I think most guards' mothers would have trouble picking them out of a police lineup. :tongue:

CoachChaz
12-18-2013, 12:53 PM
I guess my point is that I truly believe that one or two people see Manny have a sub-par game and post about it and then it becomes viral and suddenly EVERYONE thinks he sucks and needs to be replaced immediately. Regardless of any imprvement, growth and success since that time. It happens with other players as well.

Joel
12-18-2013, 01:33 PM
I guess my point is that I truly believe that one or two people see Manny have a sub-par game and post about it and then it becomes viral and suddenly EVERYONE thinks he sucks and needs to be replaced immediately. Regardless of any imprvement, growth and success since that time. It happens with other players as well.
On Ramirez specifically, there's probably as many reasons as critics. First impressions are big, and Ramirez was an abysmal G last year, so bad that when Kuper came back only to have the plate in ankle rip lose he STAYED in for the seasons whole last month plus an entire playoff game. Some people will always love Walton because WE drafted him and no FA scrub could EVER replace a TRUE Bronco. Some people will see him play well and grudginly admit he was good THIS time, then shout, "J'ACCUSE111" the first time he blows a play. Some folks may think of baseball. :tongue:

In all candor, I'm still on the fence about Ramirez, but never cared for Walton either. Ramirez has generally been good this year, but when he HAS goofed it's been pretty big and noticeable (e.g. when Liuget dove at Mannings legs in the first SD game, or when he was invisible on Orange Julius' first career TD as one the Ravens blew by and PLANTED Manning.) He's run blocked well in double teams, but he's not dominating if he needs help, and downfield blocking guys half his size on screens doesn't make him any better than Beadles.

Ramirez is better and far more reliable than Walton though, even if he's not perfect in his first year playing C rather than G. And he CAN play BOTH. That makes Walton very expendable.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 52m

good for JD RT @ProLinkSports: “@MikeKlis: JD Walton claimed by Shannys Washington Redskins” -- Back with Baylor buddy RGIII

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-18-2013, 06:02 PM

good for JD RT @ProLinkSports: “@MikeKlis: JD Walton claimed by Shannys Washington Redskins” -- Back with Baylor buddy RGIII

Washington needs all of the help they can get.

Dapper Dan
12-18-2013, 08:15 PM

Interesting. I forgot about the RG3 connection.

Agucua
12-22-2013, 05:13 AM
We need a good veteran CB! Put Webster on the bench; he's a great open field tackler, but his coverage is sub-par.

Ziggy
12-22-2013, 12:33 PM
We need a good veteran CB! Put Webster on the bench; he's a great open field tackler, but his coverage is sub-par.

There's this guy on the roster that's going to play today. A Champ something or other.

Broncolingus
12-22-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure surprising Walton was released...

...wish him the best, and I'm sure he always gave his best, but not sure if he's even a viable second-string (in Denver) nowadays...

JMO...