PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning SI Sportsman of the Year.

mouthofsouth
12-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Just announced at halftime SNF. Ceremony tomorrow in Denver.

mouthofsouth
12-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Here is the link to read (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/sportsman/news/20131215/peyton-manning-sportsman-2013/?eref=sihp) the cover article.

Broncos Mtnman
12-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Here's the cover . . .

LawDog
12-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Great, does this mean we will now break Houston's 12 game losing streak? #sijinx

Army Bronco
12-15-2013, 11:31 PM
This should counter act any jynx. All our players will be extremely healthy by PO time to include Champ. All our def players will pull their heads out of their asses and we will win it all. Even Websters thumb will be miraculously healed. We may even sign Tebow to play Will backer for us.

Dapper Dan
12-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Uuuh. Look at last year's SI Sportsman of the Year and see how his season ended up.

Broncolingus
12-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Uuuh. Look at last year's SI Sportsman of the Year and see how his season ended up.

...hopefully.

...although, I'd rather the Broncos win the NFL Championship than the NBA Championship :D

BroncoWave
12-16-2013, 11:56 AM
...hopefully.

...although, I'd rather the Broncos win the NFL Championship than the NBA Championship :D

I dunno, an NFL team winning the NBA title might be the greatest accomplishment in the history of sports. Basketball isn't even the primary sport of any of our players!

Denver Native (Carol)
12-16-2013, 12:02 PM
from article:

Sports Illustrated Managing Editor Chris Stone talked with DenverBroncos.com in an exclusive interview about the publication's decision to honor the Broncos quarterback.

"To some degree, we're taking a measure of Peyton's entire career, dating back all the way to college," Stone said. "He's had three stops since college -- Knoxville, Indianapolis and Denver. What really strikes you beyond that consistently excellent performance is the way he's connected with all three of those communities in a really profound way."

"Obviously he's having an historical season -- that's obvious to anyone out there, even the casual sports fan," Stone continued. "He's only been (in Denver) for two years, but the imprint he's left not only on the team but the community is undeniable."

full article - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Named-Sportsman-of-the-Year/4e1646c0-bc4e-4f92-9bc3-69493846f9bc

Northman
12-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Great, does this mean we will now break Houston's 12 game losing streak? #sijinx

:lol:

Northman
12-16-2013, 12:05 PM
I dunno, an NFL team winning the NBA title might be the greatest accomplishment in the history of sports. Basketball isn't even the primary sport of any of our players!

Wasnt Julius a primary basketball player?

BroncoWave
12-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Wasnt Julius a primary basketball player?

True, although my point still stands that it would be an all-time achievement. I wonder who on the team would be the best basketball players. Maybe JT and DT in the post, DRC on the wing, and Holliday running the point?

OrangeHoof
12-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Probably not. Peyton was Forever-1 against the Texans when he was a Colt. Then again, the Texans beat him last year when he was with the Broncos. I certainly hope not.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
12-16-2013, 01:49 PM
True, although my point still stands that it would be an all-time achievement. I wonder who on the team would be the best basketball players. Maybe JT and DT in the post, DRC on the wing, and Holliday running the point?

Nah, Holliday is too selfish, unintelligent, and turnover happy to run the point. Put PFM on Knownshon's shoulders and we've got ourselves a good PG.

Dapper Dan
12-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Nah, Holliday is too selfish, unintelligent, and turnover happy to run the point. Put PFM on Knownshon's shoulders and we've got ourselves a good PG.

How do you get all of that from Holliday?

Dzone
12-16-2013, 02:03 PM
The SI article on Manning is a long one, but worth the time to read.

Army Bronco
12-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Uuuh. Look at last year's SI Sportsman of the Year and see how his season ended up.I had to look it up..

12-16-2013, 03:17 PM
How do you get all of that from Holliday?

His fumbling and poor decision making.

Dapper Dan
12-16-2013, 05:56 PM
His fumbling and poor decision making.

Selfish? Unintelligent?

12-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Selfish? Unintelligent?

For unintelligent, I will point to his decision to fair catch a ball at the 5 last game with no one around him. That's just one specific example of him giving the offense terrible field position, which I see constantly.

As for selfish, I'm not saying he's not a team guy. However, I will say that he will try to make a play himself as opposed to letting the better player make the play (i.e., Peyton Manning). He's more of Durant's Russell Westbrook without being as good.

I'm sorry if you're a big Holliday supporter, but the guy hasn't made a play since prior to week 3. In fact, the only game changing plays he has made were for the benefit of the other team.

Dapper Dan
12-16-2013, 06:24 PM
For unintelligent, I will point to his decision to fair catch a ball at the 5 last game with no one around him. That's just one specific example of him giving the offense terrible field position, which I see constantly.

As for selfish, I'm not saying he's not a team guy. However, I will say that he will try to make a play himself as opposed to letting the better player make the play (i.e., Peyton Manning). He's more of Durant's Russell Westbrook without being as good.

I'm sorry if you're a big Holliday supporter, but the guy hasn't made a play since prior to week 3. In fact, the only game changing plays he has made were for the benefit of the other team.

Don't be sorry. I support him because he's a Bronco. That's about it. I just thought I'd question how you figured all that out about him, since I didn't get that from him.

I think all of that is an exaggeration. But fans do that a lot.

capt. Jack
12-17-2013, 06:10 AM
It would be so great if we could go all the way!

BroncoWave
12-17-2013, 08:43 AM
This is his acceptance speech. Highly entertaining.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Mannings-Sportsman-Acceptance-Speech/eb3d7b3e-c5e6-419b-b2a7-0c68fd3e8442

chazoe60
12-17-2013, 08:49 AM

Os at Center.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Os at Center.
Gonzaga offered him a scholarship. You have to be a pretty good prospect to get an offer from the Bulldogs.

mouthofsouth
12-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Here is a link to the acceptance speech on youtube which is better because you can see all the SI covers Peyton talks about, plus it is the full speech, not just part of it. Link. (http://youtu.be/I5qzmAI9JZI)

Dapper Dan
12-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Here is a link to the acceptance speech on youtube which is better because you can see all the SI covers Peyton talks about, plus it is the full speech, not just part of it. Link. (http://youtu.be/I5qzmAI9JZI)

That's awesome.

Dzone
12-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Wow. Thats great. Thanks. It is truly amazing to have PFM in our town.