PDA

View Full Version : Football Gameplan's 2013 Week 15 Preview - Broncos vs Chargers

EmDiggy
12-11-2013, 02:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OB2TtoehQU

Good afternoon Broncos fans! Good luck tomorrow!

Em

Joel
12-11-2013, 08:09 PM
I like off tackle runs counter treys and the like vs. 3-4s in general, though we haven't been doing a lot of that at all this year. Realistically though, the Bolts D is 31st in allowed yds/att running AND passing, so their D isn't a huge concern as long as we hold onto the ball and protect Manning (something we didn't always do when we played them in SD, hence the dive at Mannings knees at the end that had him livid.) They're also one of just 10 teams averaging less than us per run, so, even with Vickerson and Wolfe out, I still like our run D that's 7th in yds/att.

So, other than the special teams that have been so terrible for us lately, that only leaves one area: Our pass D vs. Phillip Rivers' 70% completions. Our pass rush is a lot less dynamic without Derek Wolfe; Robert Ayers and Malik Jackson are OK rushers, but better against the run, and neither draws double teams like Wolfe does. That's a big deal simply because it means offenses aren't forced to pick their poison: You can double team Miller OR Wolfe, but not BOTH unless you go max protect or give a defensive lineman a free shot at your QB.

With Champ battling injury all year and QBs beginning to single out rookie Kayvon Webster as Designated Target in our secondary, we can't afford to give a guy like Rivers all day in the pocket, or send lots of extra blitzers to prevent that. This is a game we should win at home, but SD's fighting for their season from here on out; if we let them get into a shootout with us and stay close, it's just possible the game goes like it did when they played @KC: Their D was still wretched, but it didn't matter because they won the game simply by having the ball last and getting a TD.

TXBRONC
12-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks Emory I sure do enjoy breakdowns of the games. I don't always agree with you but I do respect what you have to say.

Rivers has been having a very good year and I expect he's going to be targeting Webster all game long. I think Denver can still win this game but their probably going to have to figure out away to give Webster help on the outside.