PDA

View Full Version : No tailgating at Super Bowl

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2013, 04:36 PM
SECAUCUS, N.J. -- Forget about setting up those kegs or buffet tables in the parking lot before this season's Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium. There will be no tailgating, according to the game's committee CEO, Al Kelly.

"You will be allowed to have food in your car and have drink in your car," Kelly said. "And provided you're in the boundaries of a single parking space, you'll be able to eat or drink right next to your car. However, you're not going to be able to take out a lounge chair, you're not going to be able to take out a grill, and you're not going to be able to take up more than one parking space. And it'll all be watched very carefully."

The tailgating news came during the committee's Monday news conference regarding transportation and safety for the Feb. 2, 2014,

rest, including only 3 ways they are allowing people to get to the game
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10109826/no-tailgating-parties-super-bowl-stadium

GEEZ - I wonder if those attending will be able to cheer for the team they want??????

broncosinindy
12-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Is this something that is normal? Maybe worried about security?

BroncoWave
12-09-2013, 04:49 PM
I saw a reporter who has been to many super bowls say that in all his years covering the game, he has never seem fans tailgate before super bowls. This seems like a non-story.

pnbronco
12-09-2013, 05:17 PM
I saw a reporter who has been to many super bowls say that in all his years covering the game, he has never seem fans tailgate before super bowls. This seems like a non-story.

We didn't see anyone while we were in Dallas. Plus the parking around the Stadium was super expensive, so I think it's more a economics thing.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2013, 05:43 PM

Apparently he is not correct

But the tailgate ban figures to be met with consternation, especially given how festive the atmospheres have been surrounding the stadiums in previous host cities like New Orleans, Miami and Indianapolis.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/09/super-bowl-xlviii-no-tailgating-metlife-stadium/

BroncoWave
12-09-2013, 06:17 PM
New Orleans doesn't even have much of a place to tailgate. Festive fan activities doesn't necessarily mean tailgating. I'm sure there will still be NFL sponsored fan events. I'm almost positive that's all the New Orleans Super Bowl had. In my year working for the Saints on only ever noticed one small tailgate area in a lot under an overpass. There just isn't room in downtown for a big tailgating area.

BroncoWave
12-09-2013, 06:23 PM
It was Darren Rovell who tweeted what I was talking about. He's usually pretty plugged into stuff like this.

"Biggest non-story: No tailgating for NY/NJ Super Bowl. Been to 11 Super Bowls, never seen anyone tailgating."

ShaneFalco
12-09-2013, 06:47 PM
just sacrifice some more liberty its whatever.

BroncoWave
12-09-2013, 06:49 PM
just sacrifice some more liberty its whatever.

Wut? A private business in the NFL making rules on what patrons can and can't do at one of their events is taking away liberty? :lol:

VonDoom
12-09-2013, 07:47 PM
GEEZ - I wonder if those attending will be able to cheer for the team they want??????

Don't worry, most of the corporations who use or give away those tickets don't care who's playing anyway.

VonDoom
12-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Also, I'm not sure why they care about limos dropping people off or especially walking from nearby hotels. We walked from my friend's hotel to this very stadium for WrestleMania earlier this year and it worked out great.

Broncolingus
12-10-2013, 12:04 PM
No tailgating...

...that's just Communist :tsk:

(...thx for posting as always, Carol :D ...)

GEM
12-10-2013, 12:17 PM
I think the bigger story is the money grab that this Super Bowl is going to be. Not enough parking and the shuttle in and out is going to run a person $53. Holy shit.

Broncolingus
12-10-2013, 12:19 PM
I think the bigger story is the money grab that this Super Bowl is going to be. Not enough parking and the shuttle in and out is going to run a person $53. Holy shit.

I'm sticking with Communists, Gem...

...yeah, Communism! :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ph8V052fCNE/TFIEy6_vJ4I/AAAAAAAAJcg/KEBq5-dA798/s1600/powersteeth.jpg

GEM
12-10-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm sticking with Communists, Gem...

...yeah, Communism! :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ph8V052fCNE/TFIEy6_vJ4I/AAAAAAAAJcg/KEBq5-dA798/s1600/powersteeth.jpg

That damn Roger!! Impeach! Impeach! Impeach!!

:laugh:

Denver Native (Carol)
12-10-2013, 12:47 PM
And - from article:

You will be allowed to have food in your car and have drink in your car," Kelly said. "And provided you're in the boundaries of a single parking space, you'll be able to eat or drink right next to your car. However, you're not going to be able to take out a lounge chair, you're not going to be able to take out a grill, and you're not going to be able to take up more than one parking space. And it'll all be watched very carefully."

If you do want something to eat/drink, and do not want to do the above, you will need to take out a loan, as I am sure the prices of food inside the stadium will be totally inflated.

Slick
12-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Imagine being in charge of security for this game. A job I wouldn't want to do that's for sure.