PDA

View Full Version : Matt Prater

sneakers
12-08-2013, 05:51 PM
SIXTY FOUR ******* YARDS

I bet you're about 6' tall, right?

Lie end on end, THIRTY ONE TIMES

THEN ADD SIX MORE ******* FEET

CAN YOUR PUNY BRAIN EVEN COMPREHEND WHAT MATT PRATER DID ON THIS DAY? SIXTY FOUR YARDS CLOSER TO THE SUN, AND LIFE ON EARTH WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE. SIXTY FOUR YARDS CLOSER TO THE MOON, AND WE'D ALL FREEZE TO DEATH. SIXTY FOUR YARDS IS AS LONG AS .5 FOOTBALL FIELDS, LAiD END TO END. SIXTY FOUR YARDS IS AS LONG AS A SIXTY FOUR YARD TREE IS TALL. SIXTY FOUR YARDS IS LONG ENOUGH TO STRETCH 192 FEET UP THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING. IT TAKES USAIN BOLT LONGER TO RUN SIXTY FOUR YARDS THAN IT DOES FOR PRATER TO USE ONLY HIS FOOT TO KICK IT THAT FAR.

WITH ONLY HIS ******* FOOT, HE DID IT

SIXTY

FOUR

DOES YOUR PUNY MIND COMPREHEND IT YET

IT IS A FEAT THAT CAN NEVER BE DUPLICATED

IT IS THE MOON LANDING. IT IS THE MONA LISA. IT IS THE GREAT PYRAMID. IT IS MATT ******* PRATER.

CrazyHorse
12-08-2013, 07:03 PM
So does Prater's shoe go into the Hall of Fame?

Joel
12-09-2013, 02:45 AM
So does Prater's shoe go into the Hall of Fame?
It should, if only to replace the wooden block in Dempseys. It's funny how everyone always talks about altitude-assisted kicks in Denver but hardly anyone talks about THAT. I mean, it's not like he went to the Olympics and then shot his fiancee to death, but that record always seemed a little hinky to me, and having it shared by... four? other people sucked, too.
Glad a Bronco owns it outright now; well done, Prater. :salute:

Broncolingus
12-09-2013, 06:36 AM
...actually, I believe Dempsey's actual record breaking shoe in now in some Saints museum thing at the Superdome...

...or at least it was when I was there in January.

The one in Canton is just another one he wore...

I think...

Joel
12-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Yes, but where's the piece of wood in the end of it? That played a much bigger role than the shoe.

TXBRONC
12-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Yes, but where's the piece of wood in the end of it? That played a much bigger role than the shoe.

Nah not when you're talking a kicker who kicked straight on not soccer style and the fact he had a deformed foot. Dempsey's kick was still legitimate.

Dzone
12-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Prater could go down as the greatest kicker in history

The straight on kicker went the way of the ....? never to be seen again

TXBRONC
12-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Prater could go down as the greatest kicker in history

The straight on kicker went the way of the ....? never to be seen again

When you kick a football 64 yards in 20 degree weather that's pretty amazing because the ball becomes as hard as a rock.

Dzone
12-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Praters kickoffs yesterday were some of his shortest of the year. He only had two touchbacks. Why? Because the ball doesnt travel as far in the cold!!! That makes the 64 yarder even more amazing.

TXBRONC
12-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Praters kickoffs yesterday were some of his shortest of the year. He only had two touchbacks. Why? Because the ball doesnt travel as far in the cold!!! That makes the 64 yarder even more amazing.

Yep the air is heavier and the ball is harder. If Prater can kick the ball 64 yards in those condition how far could he kick it with ideal conditions? I know that in warms when the weather has been good he's nailed 70 yarders off of a kicking tee with room to spare.

LTC Pain
12-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Prater's kick was the only time I came up out of my chair during the entire game, yelling positives at my wife. With the wind chill the temp was actually down around +7 degrees. Prater had already said a couple of the kick offs really stung because the ball was so hard. I bet in warm weather he could have kicked a 70 FG with room to spare. Good on yah Matt :) :beer:

broncofaninfla
12-09-2013, 09:45 AM
So glad a Bronco now holds this record, Congrats to Prater!!!

LTC Pain
12-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Colquitt said he and Prater were talking before the kick. Knowing Prater has an extraordinarily strong leg, he tells Prater to "kick it as hard as you can and follow through". Smokin!!!

Joel
12-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Nah not when you're talking a kicker who kicked straight on not soccer style and the fact he had a deformed foot. Dempsey's kick was still legitimate.
Yet the NFL immediately installed the Tom Dempsey Rule pretty much the day he retired, and it was a generation before Elams strong leg matched the below sea level kick in Denvers thin air.

TXBRONC
12-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Yet the NFL immediately installed the Tom Dempsey Rule pretty much the day he retired, and it was a generation before Elams strong leg matched the below sea level kick in Denvers thin air.

Why do you always have to degraded the accomplishments of other players? So the hell what they installed the "Dempsey Rule" after he retired. So it was legal up until then. Even so no one will ever be able say with absolute certainty that was some great advantage. In fact, the counter argument that it didn't is far better. For his career he only made 12 or 39 kicks of 50 or more yards according to Pro Football Reference. I've seen that kick numerous times and it never changes the ball still just barely makes over the crossbar.