PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos on track to become No. 1 again

Denver Native (Carol)
12-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Oh, no. Not again. The Broncos are No. 1.

If the NFL season ended today, the Broncos would again possess — gulp! — the No. 1 playoff seed.

And given the collective 16-33 record of the Broncos' four remaining regular-season opponents, a reprieve is unlikely by the time the season does end this month.

Do the Broncos really want the AFC's No. 1 playoff seed after what happened last season?

"Last year's team was rolling," said Broncos defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, who was with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season. "When you're rolling, you don't want a bye. This year, we've had some adversity. We've got some guys who are banged-up. A bye week would help us."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24674595/broncos-no-1-track-again

Northman
12-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Lets hope the outcome is different from last year.

Shazam!
12-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Fox should have them rewatch last years game to get it fresh in their minds.

I like the fact that extreme cold is here now to get the team used to it and gameplan accordingly. The running game is coming around at the perfect time.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Lets hope the outcome is different from last year.

There's a good chance the first round opponent will the be same as last year. However, I seriously doubt the results would be the same. The Ravens are not as good as they were last year, and the Broncos are better than they were last year. I think Denver wins that matchup by 2 TD's.

BroncoWave
12-07-2013, 04:56 PM
To answer the question in the article, yes we want the #1 seed. People REALLY need to get over what happened last season. I hate this, "well we went one and done last season, so maybe we don't want the 1 seed this year" argument. It just doesn't make any sense. This team is gonna have to play in the cold whether it's in Denver or New England. It might as well be in Denver.

BroncoWave
12-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Fox should have them rewatch last years game to get it fresh in their minds.

I like the fact that extreme cold is here now to get the team used to it and gameplan accordingly. The running game is coming around at the perfect time.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but there were reports early in the season that the team sat down and watched the Ravens game in it's entirety the night before every game.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-07-2013, 05:27 PM
To answer the question in the article, yes we want the #1 seed. People REALLY need to get over what happened last season. I hate this, "well we went one and done last season, so maybe we don't want the 1 seed this year" argument. It just doesn't make any sense. This team is gonna have to play in the cold whether it's in Denver or New England. It might as well be in Denver.

I think more of the emphasis is being idle the first week of playoffs. From article:

"Last year's team was rolling," said Broncos defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, who was with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season. "When you're rolling, you don't want a bye. This year, we've had some adversity. We've got some guys who are banged-up. A bye week would help us."

I totally agree with this.

SR
12-07-2013, 05:58 PM
There's a good chance the first round opponent will the be same as last year. However, I seriously doubt the results would be the same. The Ravens are not as good as they were last year, and the Broncos are better than they were last year. I think Denver wins that matchup by 2 TD's.

Denver's defense isn't where it was last year.

BroncoWave
12-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I think more of the emphasis is being idle the first week of playoffs. From article:

I totally agree with this.

Yeah, this team definitely needs the week off to heal up.

Joel
12-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Look at Baltimores schedule, NOT record: Sure, they can and probably will beat Minnesota, but then it's @Detroit, NE and @Cincy. No way 6-6 Baltimore wins >2 more games, and FIVE other teams have 5+ wins with 4 games left: (At least) ONE of them will finish 9-7 and play a wildcard game while Baltimore looks on contemplating how far they've fallen since February.

As for the perils of playoff homefield: 1) As the article notes, we could use a bye to recover from injuries and 2) as Broncowave notes, we can't reach the SB without playing outside in the cold at least twice; a freezing Denver game may not be ideal for our fast complex aerial attack, but it's a HELL of a lot better than a freezing Foxborough game.

MOtorboat
12-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Look at Baltimores schedule, NOT record: Sure, they can and probably will beat Minnesota, but then it's @Detroit, NE and @Cincy. No way 6-6 Baltimore wins >2 more games, and FIVE other teams have 5+ wins with 4 games left: (At least) ONE of them will finish 9-7 and play a wildcard game while Baltimore looks on contemplating how far they've fallen since February.

As for the perils of playoff homefield: 1) As the article notes, we could use a bye to recover from injuries and 2) as Broncowave notes, we can't reach the SB without playing outside in the cold at least twice; a freezing Denver game may not be ideal for our fast complex aerial attack, but it's a HELL of a lot better than a freezing Foxborough game.

Paralysis by analysis....remember when you said there was NO WAY that the VAUNTED Kansas City Chiefs could EVER lose a whole four games and then they lost three in a row?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-07-2013, 08:37 PM

I disagree, I think we're just as good. We're better against the run this year.

We lost Miller for 6 games, also our secondary is finally getting healthy. Last year's D gave up over 30 points at home against the Ravens

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
I disagree, I think we're just as good. We're better against the run this year.

We lost Miller for 6 games, also our secondary is finally getting healthy. Last year's D gave up over 30 points at home against the Ravens

I disagree, we are not just as good. If this year's D played last year, they would have given up more than 30 at home against the Ravens.

Miller has shown up for one half of football this year.

The only secondary player getting healthy is DRC. Champ's injury will nag him all year and Moore is out until the postseason (and maybe the playoffs).

We have too many injuries on that side of the ball. When one guy gets healthy, two more go down.

Ziggy
12-07-2013, 10:02 PM

And Denver's defense has yet to play a game with all of their defensive players on the field at one time. The D will be fine, and the offense is far better than they were last season.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
12-07-2013, 10:12 PM
And Denver's defense has yet to play a game with all of their defensive players on the field at one time. The D will be fine, and the offense is far better than they were last season.

Yes and no. I think the D will get healthier, but unfortunately not all of our starters will be on the field at the same time this year due to injury.

The offense is better (scoring, running the ball, etc.), but the turnovers are worse.

The good news is that the team still has vast room for improvement. If our O can eliminate the turnovers, our D will be better for it.

Special teams seems to regress every week.

Joel
12-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Paralysis by analysis....remember when you said there was NO WAY that the VAUNTED Kansas City Chiefs could EVER lose a whole four games and then they lost three in a row?
I said it was hard to imagine, IIRC, not impossible, and they haven't yet; you saying Washington beats them? Paralysis by analysis means vacillation, but I've committed: The Ravens are done.

This is really getting old, man; if I said the sun will come up tomorrow you'd find a way to either "prove" it CAN'T or twist my statement into "the sun will never rise again." Pathetic.

Simple Jaded
12-07-2013, 11:11 PM
I think MO's point might be that the Ravens remaining opponents may not be as formidable as you think considering how you misjudged the Chefs.

MOtorboat
12-07-2013, 11:26 PM
I think MO's point might be that the Ravens remaining opponents may not be as formidable as you think considering how you misjudged the Chefs.

And the Broncos.

MOtorboat
12-07-2013, 11:27 PM
I said it was hard to imagine, IIRC, not impossible, and they haven't yet; you saying Washington beats them? Paralysis by analysis means vacillation, but I've committed: The Ravens are done.

This is really getting old, man; if I said the sun will come up tomorrow you'd find a way to either "prove" it CAN'T or twist my statement into "the sun will never rise again." Pathetic.

Yes, the constant attack on the No. 1 seed Denver Broncos and their successful season is getting old and pathetic, man.

MOtorboat
12-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Here's a whole ******* thread telling us how good KC is and how Denver won't be able to win the division...

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/561424-EVERY-Game-Is-Must-Win-Now?p=2057299&highlight=Kansas+City#post2057299

Ziggy
12-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Mo, perhaps we should make a thread for all of us who choose to believe that the Broncos will win it all this season. I've been through losing seasons and winning seasons with this team for over 40 years. It's so much better rooting for your team with optimism and enjoying a season like this as it rolls along, than it is to look back afterwards and say. "Gee, I guess they really were great after all. Maybe I should have enjoyed the ride a bit more."

Joel
12-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Here's a whole ******* thread telling us how good KC is and how Denver won't be able to win the division...

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/561424-EVERY-Game-Is-Must-Win-Now?p=2057299&highlight=Kansas+City#post2057299
A whole thread saying we must sweep KC to win the division; isn't that how it went? If we'd lost last week we'd be a game behind KC hoping they lost at home against a Colts team that lost to the RAMS at home—by 30 pts. If the Chiefs are SO overrated, what did sweeping them prove? I never said we wouldn't win the division; that's just more putting words in my mouth. I said we couldn't afford a loss; we got lucky SD beat KC at home the same day we lost to NE, else we'd STILL be tied with KC, and another loss last week would've put us a game back plus the tiebreak.

The Chiefs haven't lost four straight, and I still doubt they will. Yes, losing even three straight was unexpected, but the only mild surprise was SD winning @Arrowhead.

Yes, the constant attack on the No. 1 seed Denver Broncos and their successful season is getting old and pathetic, man.
Whatever. If you want to read everything as an attack even when it means completely inverting what was SAID POINT BLANK, no one can stop you. In terms of past statements reflecting future accuracy: You see what you want to see, and if we're going solely by THAT kind of opinion the Ravens will be lucky two win ONE more game, let alone 3-4. Three wins with that schedule; sure....

Tell me again how Chicago's going to make up 2 games on SF with just 4 left. Or maybe it was make up 3 on New Orleans/Carolina. SOMEHOW a pair of 9-3 teams, an 8-4 team and a pair of 7-5 teams will supposedly let a 6-6 team snake the last NFC wildcard from them, mainly because it has to be that way to prove I was full of it when I said the AFC's far worse than the NFC this year. Because that's the kind of backwards logic operating here: Start from the conclusion I'm an idiot, then work backward to a starting point that "proves" it.

MOtorboat
12-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Mo, perhaps we should make a thread for all of us who choose to believe that the Broncos will win it all this season. I've been through losing seasons and winning seasons with this team for over 40 years. It's so much better rooting for your team with optimism and enjoying a season like this as it rolls along, than it is to look back afterwards and say. "Gee, I guess they really were great after all. Maybe I should have enjoyed the ride a bit more."

We're going to have to.

While it's not as bad as the week we lost to New England (when I woke up two days in a row to 18 of 19 threads with a last post of doom and gloom from Joel) it's still approaching spam levels (11 of 19 this morning), but that's only because Ravage stayed up late last night.

Broncolingus
12-09-2013, 07:04 AM
Denver Broncos on track to become No. 1 again

...if that indeed holds up, which it absolutely should, let's not blow the opportunity this time Broncos...

http://karenjlloyd.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/mkay-song-300x174.jpg