PDA

View Full Version : Why it's time for the Denver Broncos to embrace the elements

Denver Native (Carol)
12-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Think snow!

That slogan has been spouted in Colorado since the first ski lifts were built in the mountains. It's part of our heritage.

So I'm both amused and annoyed when the local TV weather guys treat every approaching storm like it's the next "Snowmageddon."

"Doppler 10,000 is on alert! ... We've got team coverage!"

Cue to the poor reporter posted at I-25 and 6th Avenue who scoops up snow in her hand and proclaims: "We've got 3½ inches of powder here and it's still coming down!"

Which brings us to the Denver Broncos, Peyton Manning, his gloves, frigid temperatures and the possibility of light snow for Sunday's game against the Titans.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_24670229/denver-broncos-playing-cold-elements

Slick
12-07-2013, 02:51 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_24670229/denver-broncos-playing-cold-elements

These people probably aren't originally from Colorado. Wimps.

Joel
12-07-2013, 06:51 PM
These people probably aren't originally from Colorado. Wimps.
Neither is Peyton Manning. New Orleans is a long way from Denver, and Indys dome even farther. I'm not saying Peyton can't play in the cold, because I think it's a question of whether and how quickly he can adjust (Eli grew up in the same HOUSE, and some of his best games have been freezing ones; he's even won two playoff games at Lambeau, something few non-Packers can say.) However, it's indisputable that playing in the cold is NOT playing to Mannings strengths; how much it hurts him is debatable, but it CAN'T help his trademark fast, complex aerial assault.

To REALLY play devils advocate: Ryan Fitzpatrick began his career starting for Buffalo, and on the upstate NY shore of Lake Erie near Canada it gets VERY cold. Some of my worst memories as an Oilers fan are Houston playing @Buffalo and in snowdrifts late in the year (actually, a depressing amount of most Oilers fans worst memories involve Buffalo.) This kind of weather is far better suited to the Titans style of offense AND defense than to ours. I expect a comfortable win, but admit being nervous (but then, I always am till the gun.)

People will keep saying Manning can't be awesome below freezing till he is, and he'll probably have to do it twice just to avoid people calling it a fluke by crediting the rest of the Broncos (or blaming our opponents.) Ain't really fair, just the way it is: Once people engrave their minds with a certain image of someone, it's very hard to buff out again.

Joel
12-07-2013, 07:18 PM
The REAL bottom line (and real hidden lesson) here is most one-and-done #1 seeds in the article paid the price of believing their own BS and phoning in games, while most low-seeded SB Champs laced up their big boy pants and played till the gun every week. If we can't win without practically ideal conditions it's time to start thinking about the draft: We've effectively won the division, and are incapable of more if we can't beat a good team on our own field without EVERY advantage.

Champions are flexible, adaptable, resilient and can overcome adversity. THAT, not seeding, was the critical difference between the '07 wildcard Giants and top-seeded Dallas, second-seeded GB and unbeaten Cheatriots. It was also the difference between the 13-3 '96 top seed Broncos and 12-4 '97 wildcard Broncos; which won the Super Bowl, and which was one-and-done?

Hawgdriver
12-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Wake me up when there's a story.

Hawgdriver
12-07-2013, 07:46 PM
BTW, Carol, I love what you do for this forum. Please don't mistake my criticisms of content for the contributor. I hope you know this. :)

AlWilsonizKING
12-07-2013, 10:18 PM
There was 58 of us (52 men, 5 women and 1 9 year old boy) playing disc golf out in West Arvada (64th and highway 93) in single digit temps today for the 6th battle in the Winter Warriors '13 series. What, you ask? We pay, YES WE PAY, $5 a piece to play 1 round of doubles style disc golf with ALL money raised going to the Food Bank of the Rockies. Today was by far the coldest of the season so far. I laugh when I hear about playing in "weather" conditions......if you're GETTING PAID to play your choosen sport, get out there and play without complaint.

Winter Warriors slogan....."No Whimps, No Whiners!!"

I know it's not the point of the artical, I just thought I'd point out the 58 crazy souls playing outside in the snow today.....;-)

PEACE!!!

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
12-07-2013, 10:20 PM
There was 58 of us (52 men, 5 women and 1 9 year old boy) playing disc golf out in West Arvada (64th and highway 93) in single digit temps today for the 6th battle in the Winter Warriors '13 series. What, you ask? We pay, YES WE PAY, $5 a piece to play 1 round of doubles style disc golf with ALL money raised going to the Food Bank of the Rockies. Today was by far the coldest of the season so far. I laugh when I hear about playing in "weather" conditions......if you're GETTING PAID to play your choosen sport, get out there and play without complaint.

Winter Warriors slogan....."No Whimps, No Whiners!!"

I know it's not the point of the artical, I just thought I'd point out the 58 crazy souls playing outside in the snow today.....;-)

PEACE!!!

The way this post began, I thought I was going to have to do a math problem.

Broncolingus
12-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Wake me up when there's a story.

Amen...

Slick
12-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Neither is Peyton Manning. New Orleans is a long way from Denver, and Indys dome even farther. I'm not saying Peyton can't play in the cold, because I think it's a question of whether and how quickly he can adjust (Eli grew up in the same HOUSE, and some of his best games have been freezing ones; he's even won two playoff games at Lambeau, something few non-Packers can say.) However, it's indisputable that playing in the cold is NOT playing to Mannings strengths; how much it hurts him is debatable, but it CAN'T help his trademark fast, complex aerial assault.

To REALLY play devils advocate: Ryan Fitzpatrick began his career starting for Buffalo, and on the upstate NY shore of Lake Erie near Canada it gets VERY cold. Some of my worst memories as an Oilers fan are Houston playing @Buffalo and in snowdrifts late in the year (actually, a depressing amount of most Oilers fans worst memories involve Buffalo.) This kind of weather is far better suited to the Titans style of offense AND defense than to ours. I expect a comfortable win, but admit being nervous (but then, I always am till the gun.)

People will keep saying Manning can't be awesome below freezing till he is, and he'll probably have to do it twice just to avoid people calling it a fluke by crediting the rest of the Broncos (or blaming our opponents.) Ain't really fair, just the way it is: Once people engrave their minds with a certain image of someone, it's very hard to buff out again.

My post had nothing to do with football, amigo. I was commenting that the local reporters freaking out over 3 to 4 inches of snow, probably aren't locals. Denver has been flooded with transplants.

Simple Jaded
12-09-2013, 03:51 PM
My post had nothing to do with football, amigo. I was commenting that the local reporters freaking out over 3 to 4 inches of snow, probably aren't locals. Denver has been flooded with transplants.

And it's those weather people toying with the transplants that drive me nuts. Long story/short, I work construction and actually look forward to snow days only to have my hopes dashed when they predict the end of days snow storm and wake up to a 1/4" of snow.

Joel
12-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Ah, OK then. I'm just focusing on the football; as a Texan living in Norway, that seems best. ;)