PDA

View Full Version : Friday HealthONE Injury Report - Broncos/Titans

Denver Native (Carol)
12-06-2013, 06:23 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Friday-HealthONE-Injury-Report/8de607e8-3417-4f66-9366-1f1118a

Joel
12-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Evidently they changed the link, but this one seems to work: http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/injury-report.html

I see Champ's listed as Questionable after being Limited the first day and Full the last two, while DRC's listed as Probable after the same level of participation. I'm taking that to mean we're starting DRC and Harris with Jammer in the slot and Webster at dime.

I also see Wolfe's still Out, and didn't practice all week. I saw an article yesterday speculating he may go to IR if they can't figure out what's wrong with him, which would be a major blow for us and continue to be very scary for him.

Looks like we may be missing Holliday again; does that mean Welker's returning, Caldwell or someone else?

LawDog
12-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Looks like we may be missing Holliday again; does that mean Welker's returning, Caldwell or someone else?

Probably Welker on punts and Caldwell on KO's. Although I am not impressed with Caldwell, for a WR he sure looked slow and indecisive last game the few times he had return duties. Like feet in buckets of mud slow...

Joel
12-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Probably Welker on punts and Caldwell on KO's. Although I am not impressed with Caldwell, for a WR he sure looked slow and indecisive last game the few times he had return duties. Like feet in buckets of mud slow...
My primary memory of Caldwell in last weeks game is praying DT just had a stinger and would be back soon, but, FWIW, when I google Caldwells 40 time I get 4.37. With our offense, we don't absolutely NEED outstanding field position or to run one back for a TD every other game (although both are more than welcome,) just good ball security to guarantee the offense DOES, in fact, GET the ball. As long as Caldwell hangs on I won't complain too much; if anything I'm more worried about Welker, not least because I don't want him sidelined by a tackle on a return.

Dzone
12-06-2013, 07:37 PM
I hate seeing Welker returning punts. Its scary that he could get hurt making a 2 yard punt return. He could get smashed and get another concussion. Cant someone else catch punts on this team? I thought Bolden was a punt returner, but he must really suck at it

LawDog
12-06-2013, 07:39 PM
My primary memory of Caldwell in last weeks game is praying DT just had a stinger and would be back soon, but, FWIW, when I google Caldwells 40 time I get 4.37. With our offense, we don't absolutely NEED outstanding field position or to run one back for a TD every other game (although both are more than welcome,) just good ball security to guarantee the offense DOES, in fact, GET the ball. As long as Caldwell hangs on I won't complain too much; if anything I'm more worried about Welker, not least because I don't want him sidelined by a tackle on a return.

For clarity, I was just referring to how Andre looked last game while returning kicks. The times I have seen him on offense I have had no issues with his speed.

SR
12-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Evidently they changed the link, but this one seems to work: http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/injury-report.html I see Champ's listed as Questionable after being Limited the first day and Full the last two, while DRC's listed as Probable after the same level of participation. I'm taking that to mean we're starting DRC and Harris with Jammer in the slot and Webster at dime. I also see Wolfe's still Out, and didn't practice all week. I saw an article yesterday speculating he may go to IR if they can't figure out what's wrong with him, which would be a major blow for us and continue to be very scary for him. Looks like we may be missing Holliday again; does that mean Welker's returning, Caldwell or someone else?

Wolfe being out isn't a "major blow"

Ziggy
12-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Wolfe being out isn't a "major blow"

Yes it is. He has routinely played well against the run, and drew double teams early on in the pass rush. He does a lot more than the stat sheet shows. With Vickerson out, we need Wolfe's run stopping ability on the left side of the line.

BroncoWave
12-06-2013, 07:45 PM
I would just IR Trindon and bring in someone off the street who can return a punt. There has to be someone out there who can do it. Trindon is a liability and now he's fighting an injury. Whoever we sign doesn't have to be dynamic, they just have to know how to return a punt and hang onto the ball. As others have said, having Welker back there scares me to death. First of all he's not that good at it, and second he's one missed block away from being done for the season. Just not worth the risk at all having him back there.

SR
12-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Yes it is. He has routinely played well against the run, and drew double teams early on in the pass rush. He does a lot more than the stat sheet shows. With Vickerson out, we need Wolfe's run stopping ability on the left side of the line.

No it's not. Ayers is just as good, if not better, against the run.

Joel
12-06-2013, 09:20 PM
All those things. Before Millers return a BSP article noted Wolfe was doubled 42% of his snaps. Blockers can't double everyone any more than DBs can, and Wolfe forces a choice between:

1) Doubling Miller OR Wolfe (not both,) 2) leaving Phillips, Knighton or Unrein unblocked or 3) going max protect and sending 3 receivers at our 4-5 DBs and 1-2 Wills: Good luck.

I agree with Seeing Red that Ayers is good against the run (been beating that drum for years, in fact,) but so is Wolfe, and Ayers doesn't bring as much to the table as a pass rusher. Also, if Ayers isn't available to rotate in when Wolfe and Phillips get fatigued Jackson can only relieve one; the other must stay out there sucking Mile High wind. One game may not be a big deal (though one loss would probably be enough to give NE homefield, and I don't know anyone who wants to go back to Foxborough this year,) but if Wolfe goes to IR, that's bad for him and us.

Dzone
12-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Punt catching cant be that hard. Just put someone back there and tell them to fair catch everything and dont drop the ball...If Welker is the guy, tell him not to be a hero and just fair catch the ball, no matter what

BroncoWave
12-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Punt catching cant be that hard. Just put someone back there and tell them to fair catch everything and dont drop the ball...If Welker is the guy, tell him not to be a hero and just fair catch the ball, no matter what

You say that, but then you get situations like at the end of the Pats game. It shouldn't be hard, but it apparently is.

Joel
12-07-2013, 02:03 AM
You say that, but then you get situations like at the end of the Pats game. It shouldn't be hard, but it apparently is.
Or Opening Night against the Ravens; don't forget Welker muffed one then, too. Man, if we'd started the season with a SECOND STRAIGHT home loss to the Ravens all because of a muffed punt... Denver would probably still be burning.... :eek:

tripp
12-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I know Sylvester Williams hasn't played much because Vickerson, and Knighton have been performing well, but when Williams has been playing has he been effective at all? I haven't heard anything positive about him yet.

BroncoWave
12-07-2013, 12:19 PM
I know Sylvester Williams hasn't played much because Vickerson, and Knighton have been performing well, but when Williams has been playing has he been effective at all? I haven't heard anything positive about him yet.

He's been playing fine. He's not as good as Wolfe, but he has held his own in there.

SR
12-07-2013, 02:17 PM
He's been playing fine. He's not as good as Wolfe, but he has held his own in there.

How much tackle has Wolfe really played this year?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-07-2013, 02:36 PM

3rd down

SR
12-07-2013, 03:18 PM
3rd down

Third and long as in third and it's probably going to be a pass.

BroncoWave
12-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Probably should have said Vickerson instead of Wolfe. They all kinda seem interchangeable in there.

Joel
12-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Probably should have said Vickerson instead of Wolfe. They all kinda seem interchangeable in there.
Yeah, not really. Wolfe reminds me of Pryce often enough I hope we don't make the same mistake in demanding a borderline HoF 4-3 DE play 4-3 DT even though he hates it, and low ball him on the contract to boot. However, while both are solid DTs, neither is the immovable object that Big Vick is. Vickerson's got (at least) 50 lbs. on Wolfe, and most of it's muscle, but (partly for that reason) doesn't have Wolfes pass rushing speed. That's not a slight against either; they're just different players at different positions (so stop saying, "DL," like DT=DE, people. :rolleyes:)

I'm curious about Williams, too, but can't help feeling that Unrein getting the starting job when Big Vick went down tells us all we need to know about where Williams is today. Against the Titans run-heavy offense we should find out more about Williams just because he'll be in rotation as fatigue takes its toll.

Sadly, we don't have a replacement for Vickerson, and much of our rotations strength was that when they got tired we could alternate Vickerson and Knighton without losing much; that's no longer so. I keep thinking about Vickersons tweet from last years TC (picked up for a DP article) about how he'd added 50 lbs. while dropping his body fat percentage >10% (nearly halved it, in fact.) That's a LOT of muscle missing from the middle of our D, and there's no one comparable on the roster. It'll have to be good enough....

OrangeHoof
12-07-2013, 07:02 PM
I wonder if the seizures Wolfe supposedly has are related to the neck incident he had in Seattle during the pre-season? It would not shock me if there is a connection.

Joel
12-07-2013, 10:45 PM
I wonder if the seizures Wolfe supposedly has are related to the neck incident he had in Seattle during the pre-season? It would not shock me if there is a connection.
A few other people suggested that in the initial thread on his hospitalization, but right now no one knows (or no one who does is saying so publicly.) As long as everything's possible anything is.

Simple Jaded
12-07-2013, 10:54 PM
I don't know how the Broncos feel about Williams but it was Williams getting doubled when he and Unrein were in there. Personally, it's Unrein that I'm worried about.

Joel
12-07-2013, 11:05 PM
I've never been too impressed with Unrein, but he was the one who took Big Vicks spot after the injury in NE, and he's listed as the starter on the current depth chart, so evidently the coaches prefer him to Williams, at least for now. Maybe they just don't think the rookie's ready yet, but he's third in line and DTs need to rotate, so he better GET ready by the playoffs.

SR
12-07-2013, 11:19 PM
A few other people suggested that in the initial thread on his hospitalization, but right now no one knows (or no one who does is saying so publicly.) As long as everything's possible anything is.

The doctors said it's not related to any previous injury.

SR
12-07-2013, 11:20 PM
I've never been too impressed with Unrein, but he was the one who took Big Vicks spot after the injury in NE, and he's listed as the starter on the current depth chart, so evidently the coaches prefer him to Williams, at least for now. Maybe they just don't think the rookie's ready yet, but he's third in line and DTs need to rotate, so he better GET ready by the playoffs.

Wrong. When Vickerson went down, Williams played the majority of the snaps the rest of the game and looked pretty damn good once he got going.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
12-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Wrong. When Vickerson went down, Williams played the majority of the snaps the rest of the game and looked pretty damn good once he got going.

That game, Sly did play a majority of the snaps. However, Unrein started against KC next to Knighton.

Sly has been pretty invisible to me when he is in there. I think saying that he "looked pretty damn good" might be an exaggeration. If he's taking double teams, then that could be why I haven't heard his name called since he got here.

SR
12-07-2013, 11:41 PM
That game, Sly did play a majority of the snaps. However, Unrein started against KC next to Knighton. Sly has been pretty invisible to me when he is in there. I think saying that he "looked pretty damn good" might be an exaggeration. If he's taking double teams, then that could be why I haven't heard his name called since he got here.

He looked better against NE once he got going than Unrein has at all. Fact. Sly has been invisible and he's been been gameday inactive a couple times but I think with some playing time we'll see him do the things he was drafted for. Against NE he was good against the run, fast off the line, and I saw him in the Pats backfield a couple times.

Joel
12-08-2013, 01:15 AM
The doctors said it's not related to any previous injury.
I believe I did read something about them saying it wasn't related to that PARTICULAR injury, but until they know what it is that's not too convincing.

If you say so. I saw him out there some but Unrein just as much, yet don't feel like having yet another knockdown dragout over minutiæ just for the Hell of it. The current depth chart says Unrein's starts and Williams subs, so whether or not Williams was in @NE for matchup or other reasons, he's behind Unrein now. Labeling an opinion "fact" still doesn't make it one, btw. ;)

SR
12-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I believe I did read something about them saying it wasn't related to that PARTICULAR injury, but until they know what it is that's not too convincing. If you say so. I saw him out there some but Unrein just as much, yet don't feel like having yet another knockdown dragout over minutiæ just for the Hell of it. The current depth chart says Unrein's starts and Williams subs, so whether or not Williams was in @NE for matchup or other reasons, he's behind Unrein now. Labeling an opinion "fact" still doesn't make it one, btw. ;)

Get on the internet and look at how many snaps Sly played that game.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-09-2013, 05:16 PM
I thought this would be a good place to put this:

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2h

John Fox says Broncos now have a "better grasp" on Derek Wolfe's illness, will be back w/ team tomorrow.

Ziggy
12-09-2013, 07:31 PM
I thought this would be a good place to put this:

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2h

John Fox says Broncos now have a "better grasp" on Derek Wolfe's illness, will be back w/ team tomorrow.

Good to hear. I thought that Sly played an excellent game against the Titans. The rookies are coming along well for the most part. Looks like Kayvon may have hit the rookie wall, but Sly and Montee are looking great.

Simple Jaded
12-10-2013, 01:00 AM
I think I saw Unrein, Williams and Knighton on the same line a few times.

Joel
12-10-2013, 06:36 AM
I think I saw Unrein, Williams and Knighton on the same line a few times.
Interesting; perhaps that was the response to Tennessees early running success. I hope that wasn't it; we might get away it against Fitzpatrick, but the worst playoff QB we'll potentiall face are probably Flacco and Tannehill. Neither is great, but they aren't so bad we can afford to give them a clean pocket all day, and if we reach the SB I don't want to be reduced to a choice between stopping Lynch OR Wilson instead of BOTH.