PDA

View Full Version : Redskins' Sean Taylor dies from gunshot wound

Kapaibro
11-27-2007, 07:06 AM
News feed (http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071126/News/71127053&template=247art)

Redskins' Sean Taylor dies from gunshot wound

MIAMI (AP) — Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has died from injuries sustained when he was shot in the leg, said family friend Richard Sharpstein. He was 24.

Sharpstein said he did not know exactly when Taylor died.

Taylor was shot early Monday in his home in the upper leg, damaging an artery and causing significant blood loss. Miami-Dade Police were investigating the attack.

Taylor played at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003, and was also a high school standout in the city. His father, Pedro Taylor, is the police chief of Florida City.

Taylor had a troublesome first two years in the NFL after he was drafted No. 5 overall by the Redskins in 2004, but he had mostly behaved after his daughter, Jackie, was born in May 2006.

Taylor has been fined at least seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions. He was also fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium shortly after he was drafted.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man during a fight over some all-terrain vehicles that had allegedly been stolen. Last year, he reached a deal in which he pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors and was sentenced to 18 months' probation. The pleas prompted another fine from the NFL but kept his football career intact.

Skinny
11-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Man ... you hate to wake up and read stuff like this ...

Requiem / The Dagda
11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
I don't even know what to say, I even tear up even when it's not a Bronco. God rest his soul. RIP.

champbronc2
11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Man ... you hate wake up and read stuff like this ...

I know... It's just terrible.

I really thought he was going to make it.

RIP TAYLOR!

TXBRONC
11-27-2007, 08:11 AM
I just saw the headline as was getting ready to long on to BF.

champbronc2
11-27-2007, 08:15 AM
I don't even know what to say, I even tear up even when it's not a Bronco. God rest his soul. RIP.

I haven't yet but maybe when all of those tributes come out. I might.

RIP.....

SBboundBRONCOS
11-27-2007, 08:16 AM
RIP man you brought it every week.

GOD bless!!! my prayers are with you and your family

this is one messed up world we live in huh?

Den21vsBal19
11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Absolutely terrible news :sad:

champ24girl
11-27-2007, 10:54 AM
I am just sick about this tragedy, brings back all the memories of January 1st after Darrent died. Horrible to see something like this happen to an NFL player yet again! My heart goes out to the Redskins and their fans.

shank
11-27-2007, 11:40 AM
this is terrible. i don't even know what to say. it reminds me of darrent, but without as much shock. since i heard about the injury, i knew this was a possiblity and had more time to deal with it, but i never actually thought he wouldn't make it.

hopefully they catch the d-bags that did this.

RIP Sean

NameUsedBefore
11-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Man, the last thing I had heard was that he was alright and responding positively to the doctors... .

R.I.P.

KCL
11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Pretty sad...so young too.

Kapaibro
11-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Regardless of what issues he has had in the past, no person deserves to have their home invaded, and their personal safety jeopardised.

How awful for his girlfriend to have had to go through that also, and for his family to lose him at such a young age.

darrent/hero
11-27-2007, 05:55 PM
this is so so sad. :tsk:

i almost starting crying at school when i heard this.

i remember in the pro bowl when he laid out that punter and the punter pretended to be hurt, haha.

RIP sean taylor, a true player.

BigBroncLove
11-27-2007, 06:02 PM
What a wretched state of affairs. My hopes and prayers go to his family and friends. He was really coming into his own, on the field and off, and its tragic to see so much promise snuffed out for so little.

sneakers
11-27-2007, 08:21 PM
It stinks even more because the news I heard last night was encouraging.

broncosfanscott
11-28-2007, 05:20 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Redskin organization and Taylor's family. This hit close to home for all Bronco fans. I know his career started out bad, yet he was turining things around after his daughter was born and now to be taken away from her is heartbreaking.

RIP Sean Taylor :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2007, 09:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3135855

Four arrested in Taylor case; police anticipate 'murder, burglary' charges

MIAMI -- The Miami-Dade Police Department arrested four people Friday in connection with the shooting death of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor.

Police spokeswoman Linda O'Brien identified the men as: Venjah K. Hunte, 20; Eric Rivera Jr., 17; Jason Scott Mitchell, 17; and Charles Kendrick Lee Wardlow, 18. O'Brien said the charges for each had not yet been determined, but "we are talking murder and burglary."

The four men were arrested Friday in southwest Florida, about 100 miles from Miami. They will be booked into the Lee County Jail and eventually will be returned to Miami, she said. O'Brien did not have any information on when they would appear in court or if they had attorneys.

Taylor died Tuesday, one day after being shot at his home in an affluent Miami suburb during what officials said appeared to be an attempted burglary. The suspects weren't expecting Taylor to be home, police director Robert Parker said, but Taylor was recuperating from a knee injury and had returned to Miami from Washington.

"They were certainly not looking to go there and kill anyone," Parker said. He added authorities had more than one confession but would not elaborate.

"We're looking into whether or not one or more of the individuals had been at the residence before," Parker said.

The Miami Herald reported investigators believe the men learned about Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about Taylor's wealth.

Taylor and longtime girlfriend, Jackie Garcia, were awakened early Monday by loud noises at Taylor's home, family friend Richard Sharpstein said. Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection, Sharpstein said, then someone broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor in the upper leg. Neither the couple's 18-month-old daughter, also named Jackie, nor Garcia were injured.

The bullet damaged the femoral artery in Taylor's leg, causing significant blood loss. Taylor never regained consciousness and died a little more than 24 hours later.

Jackie Garcia has declined to speak to the media, but her uncle, actor Andy Garcia, commended Taylor.

''His heroic action on that tragic night saved their life and is a testament to his humanity and courage,'' Garcia said in his statement obtained by the Herald. "His spirit will live forever, in our hearts and through the legacy of his achievements and the family he leaves behind."

A public viewing for Taylor is scheduled Sunday in Miami, and the entire Redskins organization plans to fly to Florida to attend Monday's funeral at Pharmed Arena at Florida International University.

The Redskins also announced that fans attending the team's Sunday game will receive a towel with Taylor's No. 21 jersey on it and that his name will be displayed prominently in one of the end zones. Team owner Dan Snyder said in a statement the team will contribute a minimum of $500,000 to a fund to benefit Taylor's daughter.

pnbronco
12-01-2007, 04:35 AM
I'm glad they found this out. Since we know how hard it has been to not have any closure. It's just such a waste all the way around. Trying to steal something so many young lives were ruined. It's just really, really sad.

saddletramp
12-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Rest in Peace Sean. :salute:
May God have mercy on your soul.