PDA

View Full Version : Peyton retire as a Bronco or Colt?

tripp
12-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Perhaps this thread would be better off being posted in the off-season, but it's something I've debated with my friends for a while and we all seem to be divided on the issue.

As it stands, Manning is breaking records as a Bronco, but hasn't won the big one with us. Should the season end today and Manning for some reason chose to retire, I could see him signing a 1 day contract with the Colts and retire as a Colt. However..

Let's say.. (this is a bit of a stretch, so bust out your imagination) we win two Superbowls with Manning. He breaks the all-time passing TD, and passing Yds record. Does he retire as a Bronco with his best years ever as a QB in the NFL being a Denver Bronco or does he retire as a Colt who he has played 10+ seasons with?

I know some of you will probably think this is a no brainer and he would no matter what go back to the Colts. But it is a interesting topic since you could argue this is the best team he has ever played on in his career and he has the opportunity to make history with this team.

Army Bronco
12-04-2013, 02:48 PM
One element was left out, the Colts cut him. Hr did not choose to leave. Will this come into play?

BroncoNut
12-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I think he will retire as a colt. that's where he got his ring and where he will have spent most of his career

Traveler
12-04-2013, 03:00 PM
I think he will retire as a colt. that's where he got his ring and where he will have spent most of his career

Agree. Only way he possibly retires as a Bronco is if he wins a couple of SB's with us.

WTE
12-04-2013, 03:02 PM

Are you sure? When I think of Joe Montana's favorite wide receiver I think of Willie Davis of the Chiefs. Not that Rice fella.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-04-2013, 03:03 PM
His short time with us won't change the fact he retires a Colt.

tripp
12-04-2013, 03:05 PM
It's hard to go back to a team that turned their back on you and showed you the door. And then the shenanigans leading up to the Colts game with Irsay. It also speaks volumes about the Broncos willing to take Manning at whatever state he was in, equipping him with players to allow him to succeed (Welker, Tamme, Dreesen). We weren't a bad team prior to Manning, we're a great team with Manning.

BroncoNut
12-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Are you sure? When I think of Joe Montana's favorite wide receiver I think of Willie Davis of the Chiefs. Not that Rice fella.

what in the ????? Ok WTE, great point

:cookoo:

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 03:08 PM
He'll always be better known as a Colt, even if he wins multiple rings in Denver. That would help lessen that but in the end 13 years of an 18/19 year career will have been spent in Indy. Nothing can really change that, but obviously that wasn't the question.

Personally, I hope when he retires, he simply retires as a Denver Bronco. His contract situation might have a say in that. If he plays out his 5 year deal and retires as a free agent, then he would be free to sign a 1 day deal with the Colts like Jeff Saturday did this off-season(I'm still questioning the timing of that, it was no coincidence in my opinion that Saturday "retired" on the one year anniversary of the day the Colts cut Manning). With that said, I hope he doesn't give Jim Irsay the satisfaction of retiring as a Colt. Most of the Colts fans deserve that privilege but Irsay doesn't deserve that honor. He was far too petty and ungrateful leading up to the release and has been that way ever since.

I doubt Manning ever shares his true feelings about his release or the comments made by Irsay, but in years of watching him play, I think he took it personally, and while he might love the city, the fans, his former teammates, I don't think his relationship with Irsay is that good at the moment. Prior to the Colts game he was asked to comment on the relationship he stated "I can't and I won't", a week later he was asked to comment on his relationship with Mike Shanahan and he gave a fairly long-winded response. Obviously he wasn't going to say anything to stir up the pot, and it might have been as simple as he didn't have anything positive to offer.

So in the end, I selfishly hope he simply retires as a Bronco.

TXBRONC
12-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Reality is reality he'll be remembered as a Colt first and foremost. Tripp I have no idea how the crap Irsay has anything to do with it. Because it's about what he did on the field not what happened off of it.

tripp
12-04-2013, 03:14 PM
He'll always be better known as a Colt, even if he wins multiple rings in Denver. That would help lessen that but in the end 13 years of an 18/19 year career will have been spent in Indy. Nothing can really change that, but obviously that wasn't the question.

Personally, I hope when he retires, he simply retires as a Denver Bronco. His contract situation might have a say in that. If he plays out his 5 year deal and retires as a free agent, then he would be free to sign a 1 day deal with the Colts like Jeff Saturday did this off-season(I'm still questioning the timing of that, it was no coincidence in my opinion that Saturday "retired" on the one year anniversary of the day the Colts cut Manning). With that said, I hope he doesn't give Jim Irsay the satisfaction of retiring as a Colt. Most of the Colts fans deserve that privilege but Irsay doesn't deserve that honor. He was far too petty and ungrateful leading up to the release and has been that way ever since.

I doubt Manning ever shares his true feelings about his release or the comments made by Irsay, but in years of watching him play, I think he took it personally, and while he might love the city, the fans, his former teammates, I don't think his relationship with Irsay is that good at the moment. Prior to the Colts game he was asked to comment on the relationship he stated "I can't and I won't", a week later he was asked to comment on his relationship with Mike Shanahan and he gave a fairly long-winded response. Obviously he wasn't going to say anything to stir up the pot, and it might have been as simple as he didn't have anything positive to offer.

So in the end, I selfishly hope he simply retires as a Bronco.

The only time I can recall Manning talking ill of someone was Mike Vanderjagt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GILXUJa2l1w

I doubt he'll ever go down that road again.

AllThings18
I've seen some suggest that no matter what happens in his time that he spends in Denver that he will go into the Hall of Fame as a Colt.

That simply isn't the case. He will simply go into the hall of fame. THE PFHOF doesn't put players in as a member of any given team. They simply list their years of service on their Hall of Fame busts.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zwyRdUo8A-E/TG4USdaGsjI/AAAAAAAADKY/-0NWVDn969Q/s1600/IMG_3032+-+Joe+Montana.JPG

Manning's will read Indianapolis Colts 1998-2011, Denver Broncos 2012-x

BroncoJoe
If/when he wins us a Superbowl or two, I couldn't care less how or with who he retires.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 03:16 PM
The only time I can recall Manning talking ill of someone was Mike Vanderjagt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GILXUJa2l1w

I doubt he'll ever go down that road again.

I agree, if anything ever does come out it would likely be in a post-career autobiography. But like you said, I doubt he ever shares his true feelings.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 03:18 PM
How is this debatable he'll be remembered as Colt first and foremost. His resume as player was built with Colts. The crap with Irsay has nothing to do with it.
I don't thiink anyone is questioning who he'll be remembered more for, but whether he or not he simply retires, or signs a one day deal to retire as a Colt. That crap with Irsay has a lot to do with that in my opinion.

tripp
12-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Maybe the better question is then: Do you think when people hear the name Peyton Manning do they think of the Broncos or Colts? It's hard to propose that question to us Broncos fans, because obviously we think of him in a Broncos uniform. Of course it helps most recent memories will forever be with him in a Broncos uniform. Perhaps winning a championship will cement that memory in the NFL community. When I think of Steve McNair I think of Ravens, oddly enough, and he didn't even do anything prolific during his time in B-more (from what I remember).

Dzone
12-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Manning is a better player as a Bronco and if wins a SB, he will be predominantly orange and remembered as a Bronco...
Screw the colts, Irsay sucks, screw the HOF, it sucks

TXBRONC
12-04-2013, 03:22 PM
I don't thiink anyone is questioning who he'll be remembered more for, but whether he or not he simply retires, or signs a one day deal to retire as a Colt. That crap with Irsay has a lot to do with that in my opinion.

That's not he said. No what happened Irsay is peripheral it has nothing to with his accomplishments on the field.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Maybe the better question is then: Do you think when people hear the name Peyton Manning do they think of the Broncos or Colts? It's hard to propose that question to us Broncos fans, because obviously we think of him in a Broncos uniform. Of course it helps most recent memories will forever be with him in a Broncos uniform. Perhaps winning a championship will cement that memory in the NFL community. When I think of Steve McNair I think of Ravens, oddly enough, and he didn't even do anything prolific during his time in B-more (from what I remember).

I think that part of the question can only be truly addressed after he does retire. Then the next few years will be in the history books. If he wins 2 rings in Denver, that might be enough to say he's more of a Bronco even though he's played in Denver for about 1/3rd of his career.

As it stands now. 14% of his wins are in Denver, 14 % of his passing yards are in Denver and 16% of his touchdown passes are in Denver. Those #'s will continue to grow but they will never pass 50%.

To me, Mcnair is a Titan, but I saw him two times a year as a former Colts fan. Favre is a Packer, Montana is a 49er... So from that aspect Manning will always be a Colt, but he can also become a Bronco in the eyes of many, a lot like you view Mcnair.

Many will view him as a Colt, some will view him as a Bronco, but most will remember him as a legend.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 03:30 PM
That's not he said. No what happened Irsay is peripheral it has nothing to with his accomplishments on the field.

I wasn't referring to what anyone said. I was interjecting my own opinion. His Colts history, wins, yards, td passes, ring, etc, are what they are. They are set in stone. They will never change and no one can take that away. That's commonsense and isn't questionable. Nor did I question that.

But the question on the table was "Which team will he retire with?"

In my opinion the Irsay antics could easily come into his decision making process when he faces that decision.

BroncoJoe
12-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Who is this AllThings18?

TXBRONC
12-04-2013, 03:39 PM
I wasn't referring to what anyone said. I was interjecting my own opinion. His Colts history, wins, yards, td passes, ring, etc, are what they are. They are set in stone. They will never change and no one can take that away. That's commonsense and isn't questionable. Nor did I question that.

In my opinion the Irsay antics could easily come into his decision making process when he faces that decision.

Maybe you should read his posts. In fact take a look at all other posts because the conversation isn't centering on which team he'll be with when he actually retires.

TXBRONC
12-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Who is this AllThings18?

Is it possible it's Bojangels?

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Who is this AllThings18?
I'm not anyone that has posted here before if that is what you are questioning. A former Colts fan that is following Manning's career here in Denver. The majority of my posting has been on the broncos.com board, but that has become a little stale.

http://allthings18.tumblr.com/

That link can allow you to learn a bit more about me. I"m fluent in sarcasm, a #'s guru, good at digging up information, and a bit of a Manning historian.

Maybe you read his posts.
What? Que?

Northman
12-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Colts easily.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Is it possible it's Bojangels?

How dare you insult me like that. I know a Bojangles, who is a Patriots troll that I've seen banned on 5 to 6 Colt sites over the years.

Bojangles is one of my former whipping boys. Has he or does he post here?

TXBRONC
12-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this Blowjangels. :nod:

Northman
12-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Used too. lol

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
12-04-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm not anyone that has posted here before if that is what you are questioning. A former Colts fan that is following Manning's career here in Denver. The majority of my posting has been on the broncos.com board, but that has become a little stale.

That link can allow you to learn a bit more about me. I"m fluent in sarcasm, a #'s guru, good at digging up information, and a bit of a Manning historian.

What? Que?

Whoa I think bit of a Manning historian is an understatement. You've got more of a Manning man-crush

BroncoNut
12-04-2013, 03:52 PM

yeah, well you can interject your vileness somewhere else.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Whoa I think bit of a Manning historian is an understatement. You've got more of a Manning man-crush

No, I save my crushes for the Anne Hathways and Emmy Rossums and beauties of that ilk. Though Manning would be in my top 10 of guys I'd like to sit down and drink beers with and here them tell stories... Add him to the list of guys like John Riggins, Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Lawrence Taylor, Bill Clinton... things like that.

BroncoNut
12-04-2013, 03:58 PM
No, I save my crushes for the Anne Hathways and Emmy Rossums and beauties of that ilk. Though Manning would be in my top 10 of guys I'd like to sit down and drink beers with and here them tell stories... Add him to the list of guys like John Riggins, Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Lawrence Taylor, Bill Clinton... things like that.

that was your 18th post. 18 too many.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 04:01 PM
?.....................................

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 04:01 PM
that was your 18th post. 18 too many.
What is your problem?

BroncoNut
12-04-2013, 04:08 PM
What is your problem?

I was just kidding

BroncoJoe
12-04-2013, 04:15 PM

What? Que?

I meant nothing other than what the post stated. I am curious because I like your takes based on what I've seen so far. Other than the Bill Clinton comment, anyway. I'd much rather crack one open with GW.

Northman
12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
I meant nothing other than what the post stated. I am curious because I like your takes based on what I've seen so far. Other than the Bill Clinton comment, anyway. I'd much rather crack one open with GW.

Outside of some of his presidential moves he does look like cool character.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 04:24 PM
I was just kidding Um okay

No offense taken, I was just being clear, that I don't have a history here. I wasn't viewing the Clinton vs. GW as a political statement, GW would be on that list as well. I think they both would have some interesting stories. I don't mix sports and politics, and don't talk poltics in general, I'm sure GHWB and Jimmy Carter have some interesting stories to crack some peanuts over. From that perspective, I'd like to get BC & GW both a bit lit to see some unfiltered thoughts/comments come out. Ha!

BroncoJoe
12-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Gotcha. Although hanging with GHWB and Carter would be like watching paint dry. I'd have a beer with Clinton, as long as he was buying.

BroncoNut
12-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Outside of some of his presidential moves he does look like cool character.

I don't think Bill Clinton is someone to look up to in regards to values, morality, but I can't help but to think that I'd like the guy and that it would be quite an experience to hang with him. I've known a couple of folks that have met him (both chicks) and both said he has this really strong presence about him. intriguing.

BroncoNut
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Gotcha. Although hanging with GHWB and Carter would be like watching paint dry. I'd have a beer with Clinton, as long as he was buying.

just watch your cornhole when the cigars come out if you know what I mean

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Gotcha. Although hanging with GHWB and Carter would be like watching paint dry. I'd have a beer with Clinton, as long as he was buying.Any of them would have to be buying, I know they have more $$$ than I do. I'd give GHWB & Carter some LSD and then maybe they would become a lot more interesting.

powderaddict
12-04-2013, 05:20 PM
I don't care what team he retires as, as long as we get a SB championship out of it!

DenBronx
12-04-2013, 05:33 PM
If Manning wins at least 1 SuperBowl here I think he just simply retires. Even if he doesnt I think he takes a 1 day deal to retire as a Colt.

Now remeber he is also going into the HOF. NFL players that go into the HOF dont go in by a team, like baseball. I know thats differant than just retiring but wanted to throw that out there..

Dzone
12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Manning looks way better in the Bronco Orange. Besides, his stats are better as a Bronco. Plus he plays outside in denver, not in a ***** dome

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Now remeber he is also going into the HOF. NFL players that go into the HOF go in by a team, like baseball. I know thats differant than just retiring but wanted to throw that out there..No they simply go into the Hall of Fame.

They have each team they played for and their years of service listed.
http://nationalgridironnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/IMG_0616.jpg

DenBronx
12-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Now remeber he is also going into the HOF. NFL players that go into the HOF go in by a team, like baseball. I know thats differant than just retiring but wanted to throw that out there..No they simply go into the Hall of Fame.

They have each team they played for and their years of service listed.
http://nationalgridironnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/IMG_0616.jpg

Sorry I botched my own point, on a cell. Meant DONT go in by a team.

Joel
12-04-2013, 05:59 PM
If Manning wins at least 1 SuperBowl here I think he just simply retires. Even if he doesnt I think he takes a 1 day deal to retire as a Colt.

Now remeber he is also going into the HOF. NFL players that go into the HOF dont go in by a team, like baseball. I know thats differant than just retiring but wanted to throw that out there..
/thread Though between cutting him and bashing him before we played Indy I'm unsure Irsay would ink the one-day deal so PFM retires as a Colt, if only because Manning might not ask.

Maybe THIS covers the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72gxWIKzqxk

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Sorry I botched my own point, on a cell. Meant DONT go in by a team.Gotcha, no biggie... My thumbs botch my cell phone communication 90% of the time.

jhildebrand
12-04-2013, 06:55 PM
One element was left out, the Colts cut him. Hr did not choose to leave. Will this come into play?

Let's also not forget the fashion in which he was shown the door in Indy. He wasn't allowed to see the team doc, his pass key was shut off, and anyone loyal to him was sent packing too. My guess is if Irsay is still in charge of the show in Indy, why wouldn't he be, Manning may choose to retire a Bronco.

Ravage!!!
12-04-2013, 06:58 PM
You aren't inducted as any team, anymore. You simply are inducted.

jhildebrand
12-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Oh let's not forget the shot Irsay took before playing the Broncos this week. The 'we drafted Luck to win more than one of these' comment. Manning doesn't forget things like that.

jhildebrand
12-04-2013, 11:29 PM
How about Manning before the split "Im not in a good place for healing right now." The entire Bob Kravitz (formerly of the Post) was telling.

Remember when Manning was cleared by doctors to play and Irsay was upset by that and came out, visibly upset, and said Manning hadn't been cleared by the team doctors.

Why would Manning do the cheap ceremonial 1 day contract to retire a colt? He would be better off retiring a Bronco and letting it be known he is most proud as a Bronco. That would irk Irsay.

Hawgdriver
12-04-2013, 11:31 PM

It might. That was my deciding thought. Jilted lover syndrome. But I think Peyton is above that.

Hawgdriver
12-04-2013, 11:32 PM
How about Manning before the split "Im not in a good place for healing right now." The entire Bob Kravitz (formerly of the Post) was telling.

Remember when Manning was cleared by doctors to play and Irsay was upset by that and came out, visibly upset, and said Manning hadn't been cleared by the team doctors.

Why would Manning do the cheap ceremonial 1 day contract to retire a colt? He would be better off retiring a Bronco and letting it be known he is most proud as a Bronco. That would irk Irsay.

Compelling.

Salutethis
12-05-2013, 01:52 AM
If Peyton wins 2 Superbowls I think he might want to retire a Bronco. Montana and McNair retired and went to the teams they had the most success with. Hey, I'm dreaming a little but 2 rings in Denver would mean more success than in Indy for Peyton. Plus Denver not Pulling a Irsay might help...

Northman
12-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Oh let's not forget the shot Irsay took before playing the Broncos this week. The 'we drafted Luck to win more than one of these' comment. Manning doesn't forget things like that.

He may not forget but Manning also realizes that Irsay doesnt speak for the massive amount of Colt fans who Peyton played for. Irsay doesnt speak on behalf of all the fans in Indy so i believe Manning is very classy as they come in terms of not forgetting that. Irsay is a douche, no doubt about it but that is just one petty little man vs thousands of rabid fans who totally appreciate what Peyton did for the Colts.

Captain Speardog
12-05-2013, 06:30 AM
I've seen some suggest that no matter what happens in his time that he spends in Denver that he will go into the Hall of Fame as a Colt.

That simply isn't the case. He will simply go into the hall of fame. THE PFHOF doesn't put players in as a member of any given team. They simply list their years of service on their Hall of Fame busts.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zwyRdUo8A-E/TG4USdaGsjI/AAAAAAAADKY/-0NWVDn969Q/s1600/IMG_3032+-+Joe+Montana.JPG

Manning's will read Indianapolis Colts 1998-2011, Denver Broncos 2012-x

Exactly, in the nFL there is no jersey you go in under. it's about your career.

broncofaninfla
12-05-2013, 09:49 AM
My wishful thinking says if he can win two Super Bowls here i say there is a chance he retires a Bronco but right now it's my guess he'd retire a Colt. The Colts screwed him in the end but that didn't seem to matter during his tribute there this year as he was clearly moved by the fans reaction. I'm loving him as a Bronco though and hope he doesn't retire any time soon.

TXBRONC
12-05-2013, 11:07 AM
He may not forget but Manning also realizes that Irsay doesnt speak for the massive amount of Colt fans who Peyton played for. Irsay doesnt speak on behalf of all the fans in Indy so i believe Manning is very classy as they come in terms of not forgetting that. Irsay is a douche, no doubt about it but that is just one petty little man vs thousands of rabid fans who totally appreciate what Peyton did for the Colts.

Agreed just because Irsay is douche doesn't mean he'll snub Colts fans in fact I don't think he's that kind of person. Beside that, outside of some Broncos fans he'll be remembered as a Colt first and foremost.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2013, 11:26 AM

You beat me to it. Manning knows the he ws loved by the fans, and he loved the fans. THEY treated him, and his family, fantastic. Manning is a guy that understands HIS place and knows what he meant to that city and their football team. He'll remember THAT much more than any of Irsay's comments.

AllThings18
12-05-2013, 12:22 PM
There is no doubt he loves that city & fan base.

If he does retire as a Colt, those will be the main if not the only reasons. It certainly won't be to appease Jim Madison Irsay, a jerk that was born on 3rd base but acts like he hit a stand up triple.

Maybe Peyton isn't as petty as Irsay is, or as stubborn as I would be if I were him. It's clear he's the bigger/better man of the Manning/Irsay equation, so I'm sure he'll take the high road again.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/6d92d2c2111d98b407e6307ce36ac3c5/tumblr_muvmts7gxC1s5gh7fo1_1280.jpg

I can see him retiring either as a Bronco or a Colt.

Time will tell.

jhildebrand
12-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Agreed just because Irsay is douche doesn't mean he'll snub Colts fans in fact I don't think he's that kind of person. Beside that, outside of some Broncos fans he'll be remembered as a Colt first and foremost.

The fans don't write the contract with the Colts' letterhead either. They gain nothing by Manning retiring a Colt whereas Irsay may.

jhildebrand
12-05-2013, 12:48 PM
You beat me to it. Manning knows the he ws loved by the fans, and he loved the fans. THEY treated him, and his family, fantastic. Manning is a guy that understands HIS place and knows what he meant to that city and their football team. He'll remember THAT much more than any of Irsay's comments.

Again...what does Manning retiring a Colt provide the fanbase? :confused: He is who he is going to be to them no matter what! The split was far nastier than people realize. Manning was the one who took the high road, as allthings18 pointed out, and all but saved Irsay publicly. After doing that, he was rewarded with the shitty comments about "winning more than one of these." If Manning hadn't taken the high road it would have got a lot uglier publicly. Let's also not forget Manning was pissed about the removal of Tom Moore when he was. Why on earth would Manning grant any satisfaction to Irsay and stroke his ego any more? :confused:

AllThings18
12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Again...what does Manning retiring a Colt provide the fanbase? :confused: He is who he is going to be to them no matter what! The split was far nastier than people realize. Manning was the one who took the high road, as allthings18 pointed out, and all but saved Irsay publicly. After doing that, he was rewarded with the shitty comments about "winning more than one of these." If Manning hadn't taken the high road it would have got a lot uglier publicly. Let's also not forget Manning was pissed about the removal of Tom Moore when he was. Why on earth would Manning grant any satisfaction to Irsay and stroke his ego any more? :confused:

All they could get out of it is a press conference and unless they attempted to do the signing at halftime of a preseason game the fans aren't even going to see it except for on TV.

At some point they'll have a jersey retirement presentation, a ring of honor day, and a statue outside of the house that he built, so those points will come.

I guess some would have a little individual satisfaction that he signed a one day deal, just as I would have some individual satisfaction if he simply retires as a Bronco. Outside of that there is no benefit unless they tried to sell copies of the contract as some form of memorabilia.

If Manning does retire as a Colt it will be for the city/fans, not the bumbling fool known as Jimmy Madison Irsay.

Broncolingus
12-05-2013, 01:06 PM
This is interesting...

...as I'm assuming the overall question is if Manning will do one of those 'sign for a day' contracts so he can the "retire" as a Colt.

I'm thinking if he wins a championship here with Denver probably he won't do that...if he doesn't, I might still be surprised if he does (the Colt retirement thing).

I don't think he'd not do it just because of what Irsay said - after all, everyone on the planet knows the Irsay clan has ALWAYS been scum - Peyton too methinks...

...I just think he's already said good bye and thanks to the Colts fans and everyone knows that's where his identity will mostly always be...

I do NOT think the Bronco's should retire #18 for him regardless...that should absolutely go back to (just) Tripucka when Manning hang's it up.

JMO...

Northman
12-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Because its not about Irsay. And you are kidding yourself if you dont think Manning not retiring a Colt would affect the fans. For Manning not to retire a Colt would be a slap in a face to the fans and a basic disregard for anything he did there. Its the bigger picture here, sure. Irsay will get some satisfaction from it but you have proved nothing that shows that Peyton is resentful of Irsay's comments. Does it sting? Probably. But i have never seen Manning worry about stupid shit like that and if he chose to snub the Colts come enshrinement it would do more harm than good to the fans of Indy. Its about respect to the people who came out supported you, and last i checked the fans are more important than the stupid owner. For Peyton to be enshrined as a Bronco for only 3 years would be a blatant slap in the face to Colt fans everywhere. NEVERMIND a good portion of them (that ive talked to personally) still feel the sting from what happened with Elway.

TXBRONC
12-05-2013, 01:13 PM
The fans don't write the contract with the Colts' letterhead either. They gain nothing by Manning retiring a Colt whereas Irsay may.

What does Irsay gain? Nothing that I'm aware of.

Lancane
12-06-2013, 01:57 AM
I believe had Irsay not burnt that bridge the answer would be clear cut, he'd retire a Colt. However, Indianapolis' fans had their chance to say goodbye this season, as did Irsay...he wanted his shiny new toy and he got it, should the toy he replaced it with then sold at a garage sale come limping back as to go to toy-heaven for one more day by his lunatic owner's side? It the end, will Irsay even extend that to Manning and in return would he accept? I know I would tell Irsay to take a flying F'n leap off the nearest bridge with a gorge!