PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Denver vs Seattle in the Superbowl

olathebroncofan
12-03-2013, 03:04 AM
Yeah I know we have a ways before we find out who is even going, but what are your thoughts if it came down to it?

DO you think our offense has a chance against them? Im not sure we have faced a defense this year that is close to being as physical as they are. Plus they are used to the cold weather (yes...that argument again).

Discuss/Write novels

Ravage!!!
12-03-2013, 03:07 AM
I would say the Chiefs defense can be compared to Seattle's.

701Bronco
12-03-2013, 03:52 AM
What I noticed from tonight's game is that the Seahawks did exactly what we failed to do against the Patriots. They stayed AGGRESSIVE even with a lead. We need to do the same to stop some bullshit miracle comeback in the playoffs.

CoachChaz
12-03-2013, 05:38 AM
I just dont fear Seattle as much when they aren't playing at home.

BroncoWave
12-03-2013, 07:45 AM
I think we match up against them better than the Saints do. I wouldn't use last night's game as a barometer of what would happen to us.

First of all, the Seahawks wouldn't be playing us in their home stadium. Their homefield advantage is a real thing. On a neutral field they aren't quite as good.

Second, we have the running game to stay with them in bad weather. New Orleans has no running game at all really, so they struggle a lot when the weather is slowing down their passing game.

Having said all of this, Seattle is a damn good team and would give us lots of problems. They would probably be a slight favorite to be honest. But I think that game would be entertaining as hell to watch. I'd be really surprised if they don't represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this season.

DenBronx
12-03-2013, 08:51 AM
My dream scenario is this

1st seed and home field advantage.

Indy comes to Denver, we smack them bad
Pats come to Denver for the AFCCG and we destroy them. T-BAG!!!!
SuperBowl against Seattle and we expose and embarrass them in front of the world. 65-10 Denver wins

Ok I said dream...

MasterShake
12-03-2013, 09:03 AM
I just dont fear Seattle as much when they aren't playing at home.

Same here. I don't like the chances of any team playing at Seattle right now, but in a neutral field when both teams will be exposed to the elements in New York I think Denver is a more complete team. The secondary of Seattle is a beast but I think we could throw them off balance with short routes and maybe our running game to open them up. Plus our defense seems to do good against mobile quarterbacks because our linebackers are pretty fast. I think it would be the best possible Superbowl. It kind of reminds me of the 98 season where everyone just assumed it was going to be the Vikings and Broncos, so we will have to see how it shakes out.

Hawgdriver
12-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Playing a physical team like Seattle or San Francisco in New York in the cold sounds challenging. To put it mildly. If the Broncos are fortunate to make it that far, they will have a hell of a contest in front of them.

NightTrainLayne
12-03-2013, 11:30 AM
I was going to start a thread on this too. Although, I was going to title mine something along the lines of, "I Have Seen the Future, and I Don't Like It."

It is very true that Seattle is a much more dominating team at home, but I really don't like the thought of matching up with them in February in New Jersey at night.

If the wind is blowing, like it was against the Pats, I think we get drummed.

If the Super Bowl was in Miami? We'd be favorites to win by most everyone. In the Giants stadium in the dead of winter, at night? Against a great secondary and defense? No.

It's amazing and frustrating to me that Elway has constructed a team that is, from top to bottom designed to play in today's pass-happy NFL, and the year that it all comes together, the NFL decides to play the Super Bowl in a lousy weather, pass UN-friendly stadium.

If the SB was in any location it's been in the last 30 years I'd feel differently. In the stadium it is in this year, I feel like it's some kind of practical joke.

50 years ago teams were built with bad weather in December and January in mind. Today, that doesn't happen anymore, and the NFL has fed that with this pristine weather Super Bowl locations. Now we have a team built to perfection for warm and sunny or indoor Super Bowl locations, and the NFL pulls the rug out.

Buff
12-03-2013, 11:36 AM
On paper I think this would be one of the best super bowls in years. They have one of the best secondaries - we have one of the best passing offenses. I think it would be a great game and come down to turnovers.

But history shows that crazy stuff happens in the playoffs.

weazel
12-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Yeah I know we have a ways before we find out who is even going, but what are your thoughts if it came down to it?

DO you think our offense has a chance against them? Im not sure we have faced a defense this year that is close to being as physical as they are. Plus they are used to the cold weather (yes...that argument again).

Discuss/Write novels

wow, still weeks to go in the regular season and then playoffs and people are already putting these teams in the superbowl? I think I will watch to see how things play out before calling any team a superbowl team.

jhildebrand
12-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Seattle away from home is a different team. They are also a team that goes as Wilson goes. The key is keeping him in the pocket and covering on the back end. He is a guy who has gone 8 for 19, 12 of 23, 15 of 31, 10 of 18, and 13 of 18. Don't get me wrong the kid will be a super star in this league BUT they are managing him right now. We can see sub 50% completion percentages. We see several games with less than 20 attempts. I like Seattle a lot too but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose 2 games here at the end (@SF, @NYG) and lose the #1 seed. At the end of the day it will be a good matchup but it isn't one that really worries me. SF would be a tougher match up and possibly Carolina.

NightTrainLayne
12-03-2013, 12:37 PM
wow, still weeks to go in the regular season and then playoffs and people are already putting these teams in the superbowl? I think I will watch to see how things play out before calling any team a superbowl team.

They are the two teams with the best record in each conference. It's only natural to forecast them, or think "what if" at this point. But there is certainly a lot of football left to be played.

NightTrainLayne
12-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Seattle away from home is a different team. They are also a team that goes as Wilson goes. The key is keeping him in the pocket and covering on the back end. He is a guy who has gone 8 for 19, 12 of 23, 15 of 31, 10 of 18, and 13 of 18. Don't get me wrong the kid will be a super star in this league BUT they are managing him right now. We can see sub 50% completion percentages. We see several games with less than 20 attempts. I like Seattle a lot too but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose 2 games here at the end (@SF, @NYG) and lose the #1 seed. At the end of the day it will be a good matchup but it isn't one that really worries me. SF would be a tougher match up and possibly Carolina.

Yuck. You are 100% correct, but I don't feel good about any matchup against probable NFC teams in a poor weather scenario.

jhildebrand
12-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Yuck. You are 100% correct, but I don't feel good about any matchup against probable NFC teams in a poor weather scenario.

I have a feeling the weather will be fine for the SB. Obviously it wont be Miami or SD weather but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 40 degree day and calm weather. What we need to hope for is getting some of our guys healthy in these last 4 weeks.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
12-03-2013, 12:50 PM
How many times have two one seeds played each other in the Super Bowl?

Twice?

BroncoWave
12-03-2013, 12:51 PM

Who is putting these teams in the super bowl? It's a hypothetical thread. Calm down.

olathebroncofan
12-03-2013, 01:18 PM

I think it off the top 3 teams in the NFC, Seattle is the only team that is scary. Yes they are managing Wilson but if it came down to it, I think their defense could keep them in the game. I would like to see another manning brees super bowl.

jhildebrand
12-03-2013, 01:29 PM
It will be Denver NO.

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
I havent' watched much of Seattle, but did last night. they looked invincible. I was trying to imagine Decker, JT, DT, Welker, and of course Peyton against their secondary, and it could be done, I think it would depend on early turnovers. The Defense I saw last night looked exceptional. I think Theismann hit it on the hid when he mentioned that they were able to simultaneously rush and cover.

NightTrainLayne
12-03-2013, 01:34 PM
It will be Denver NO.

If Seattle secures home-field advantage, NO will have a difficult road through Seattle. :captainobvious:

jhildebrand
12-03-2013, 01:34 PM
I havent' watched much of Seattle, but did last night. they looked invincible. I was trying to imagine Decker, JT, DT, Welker, and of course Peyton against their secondary, and it could be done, I think it would depend on early turnovers. The Defense I saw last night looked exceptional. I think Theismann hit it on the hid when he mentioned that they were able to simultaneously rush and cover.

What they don't cover or do well is what Manning does best. Also, our LBers have the speed to catch Wilson before he rattles off huge runs.

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 01:37 PM
If Seattle secures home-field advantage, NO will have a difficult road through Seattle. :captainobvious:

not so :captainobvious: really. a very brilliant observation in fact. sometimes I think you are too hard on yourself

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 01:44 PM
I also think that is a big if. Seattle on the road is a different team, they have the suspensions looming, they have been the beneficiaries of some favorable calls all year, and they still have to go to SF and at NYG. I think those could be 2 losses that keep them from the 1 seed. Even if they get the 1 seed, I think the bright lights of the PO's on Wilson will be a bit of an issue whereas it is an old hat for Brees.

I could also see Car being hot all the way through and having a Fox vs his old team SB.

I could see us not going to the sb. Dare I say, I can see Baltimore upsetting us again in the playoffs.

Lancane
12-03-2013, 01:47 PM
With all this bull**** talk about Wilson making a case for league MVP and so on, I would love it...I want to see the Broncos knock those ****ty birds down a peg or two, Wilson is a better version of Tebow, but he is not the game changer that Manning is, could you imagine a quarterback the likes of Rivers, Luck, Brady, Brees, Rodgers or even Foles on that team? It would vault them into a complete new category.

jhildebrand
12-03-2013, 01:50 PM
I could see us not going to the sb. Dare I say, I can see Baltimore upsetting us again in the playoffs.

If Baltimore finds a way to hold on. If NE beats them when they play, they may not even make it.

Buff
12-03-2013, 02:01 PM
With all this bull**** talk about Wilson making a case for league MVP and so on, I would love it...I want to see the Broncos knock those ****ty birds down a peg or two, Wilson is a better version of Tebow, but he is not the game changer that Manning is, could you imagine a quarterback the likes of Rivers, Luck, Brady, Brees, Rodgers or even Foles on that team? It would vault them into a complete new category.

Russel Wilson is legit. He is no Manning - but he is worlds better than Tebow as a QB.

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Russel Wilson is legit. He is no Manning - but he is worlds better than Tebow as a QB.

yeah. I didn't know how to respond to Cane's post, but I got the impression that Wilson is pretty goo right now. He was making some real impressive throws last night, and real cool Luke at the position overall. way better than Tebow who I have seen much more of

Lancane
12-03-2013, 02:07 PM

He is a legit quarterback in some aspecst, as I said a better version of what IMHO Broncos' fans thought they had in Tebow originally but never came about. But if you look down the middle with an unbiased eye, there is no way that he is considered elite nor for that matter is MVP material. He's riding the coattails of an elite defense and superb rushing offense, his numbers don't reflect that he is in anyway the cause for success in Seattle and I for one don't believe that he is up there with the likes of the other aforementioned quarterbacks, maybe you do...but I sure in the hell don't.

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 02:09 PM
now let's all just hold on here folks. We are all entitled to our opinions

Buff
12-03-2013, 02:18 PM
He is a legit quarterback in some aspecst, as I said a better version of what IMHO Broncos' fans thought they had in Tebow originally but never came about. But if you look down the middle with an unbiased eye, there is no way that he is considered elite nor for that matter is MVP material. He's riding the coattails of an elite defense and superb rushing offense, his numbers don't reflect that he is in anyway the cause for success in Seattle and I for one don't believe that he is up there with the likes of the other aforementioned quarterbacks, maybe you do...but I sure in the hell don't.

I agree that he's not MVP material... But the guy has won me over. He's a playmaker and a leader. And he can throw the ball 1000% more effectively than Tebow - which makes him much less of a gimmick.

PatriotsGuy
12-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Pretend I posted a link to a youtube video of a Culture Club song from 1983 here.

Buff
12-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Pretend I posted a link to a youtube video of a Culture Club song from 1983 here.

I was born in 1984, PAGrampa, this reference is totally lost on me.

Hawgdriver
12-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Don't go down that street.

Joel
12-03-2013, 02:25 PM
The good news is Seattle and (maybe) Philly are the only NFC playoff teams who play outside in the cold. The bad news is Seattle's a SCARY team. Remember when everyone questioned KC and Denvers perfect records against losing teams? Seattle beat SF and now NO by 26 pts, plus Carolina in an early close one. Their SOLE loss was @Indy when the Colts still had Reggie Wayne—Indy STILL needed a FG blocked and returned for a TD (a 10 pt play in a 6 pt loss.)

In an age when the cap and FA have made it practically impossible for teams to be strong at ALL positions, Seattle's done it anyway. They actually are good enough to skip the first half, spot someone a 21 pt lead, and win anyway in the second half (granted that was against the Bucs, but even so.) That's the exception rather than the rule for them though; right now, hoping someone they already beat does better in the playoffs looks like wishful thinking. If Seattle's weaker on the road, that only meas Carolinas loss was close instead of a beatdown.

I can't help wondering if the League's setting them up for a fall though, if they'll get to the playoffs (maybe the SB) only for the Legion of Boom to discover it's not 1970 after all and PI really is illegal. That's if all the suspensions for doping don't take them out of play first. I actually like our WRs and TEs against them, though it won't be easy. That Triangle Gruden gushed about looks nice, but needs good execution morphing into what's still basically just a LB zone with a safety deep; Welker and JT can burn those LBs IF we protect PFM better than NO protected Brees.

Seattle's still scary, and I'm not convinced our bottom 10 rushing average is enough to take pressure off Manning and our passing, even against Seattles merely average run D. Ball's running well if he can just maintain possession, but our line hasn't consistently opened holes even against KC and Indys weak run D; the only time they did really well was against NE, whose run D is awful with BOTH starting DTs out for the year. Fortunately OUR run D is good; even without Big Vick, if we handle CJ2K as well as Charles I think we can handle Lynch.

Bottom line is we must beat the best to be the best: Even a Seattle playoff loss would just put the AFC winner up against a team that did what NO ONE'S done since Christmas Eve 2011: Beat Seattle on the road. We still have to do our job to even get the chance: Win the rest to keep our hold on homefield, win both Mile High playoff games, THEN worry about Seattle (or whomever.)

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 02:26 PM
I was born in 1984, PAGrampa, this reference is totally lost on me.

you were born the year I graduated high school

Buff
12-03-2013, 02:30 PM

We are like blood brothers or something.

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 02:31 PM
We are like blood brothers or something.

it's weird.

Lancane
12-03-2013, 02:42 PM
I agree that he's not MVP material... But the guy has won me over. He's a playmaker and a leader. And he can throw the ball 1000% more effectively than Tebow - which makes him much less of a gimmick.

I just don't see it, and it has nothing to do with his height or race, I still believe Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham and Steve McNair were elite HOF quarterbacks, Cam Newton is starting to show flashes and RGIII, if he can pull his head out of his butt has the ability and tangibles to be a real threat in this league. I just don't see that level of swagger, ability and skill from Wilson who may not be as gimmicky is still a gimmick in this pass happy league. You take away that top rated defense and Seattle would be struggling to challenge in their division. As for leadership, Tebow had that leadership ability on a level that is rarely seen, but it's not enough not in the an NFL where passing the football is still the milestone, and that is why you will not hear Wilson's name in the circles of Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. Even Foles right now is a more popular quarterback then Wilson for much the same reason.

PatriotsGuy
12-03-2013, 02:47 PM

I was legal to drink in Montreal

MOtorboat
12-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I just don't see it, and it has nothing to do with his height or race, I still believe Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham and Steve McNair were elite HOF quarterbacks, Cam Newton is starting to show flashes and RGIII, if he can pull his head out of his butt has the ability and tangibles to be a real threat in this league. I just don't see that level of swagger, ability and skill from Wilson who may not be as gimmicky is still a gimmick in this pass happy league. You take away that top rated defense and Seattle would be struggling to challenge in their division. As for leadership, Tebow had that leadership ability on a level that is rarely seen, but it's not enough not in the an NFL where passing the football is still the milestone, and that is why you will not hear Wilson's name in the circles of Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. Even Foles right now is a more popular quarterback then Wilson for much the same reason.

I completely disagree. Listen to Wilson in his interviews and press conferences. He's a guy who gets it, and I think he's got plenty of swagger, but he's also very cerebral, like Brees.

slim
12-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Lan, Wilson is a better QB than RGIII.

aberdien
12-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I used to be a critic, but Wilson is solid. I would be concerned if we had to play them.

BroncoJoe
12-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Cane, you're usually pretty good in your assessments, but I think you're way off on this one buddy.

Joel
12-03-2013, 03:04 PM
It's only Wilsons second year, so we'll see; at least he's avoided the sophomore slump. He's hit 64.9% of his passes this year, has 22 TDs and just 6 Ints. As far as youthful wilting under bright playoff lights, maybe, but most rookies (and many vets) would envy his playoff performance last year: His yardage wasn't great @Washington (Lynch carried them that game) but Wilson hit 15/26 passes with a TD and didn't throw a pick, enough to get them to Atlanta, where he was 24/36 for 385 yds, 2 TDs and 1 Int in a 2 pt loss.

I admit not watching him play much apart from their road comeback against Houston (where Wilsons running was decisive) but he doesn't strike me as just another option QB: He hits his throws, and makes Golden Tate look better than he probably is. As long as running is just something that complements excellent passing, he's a legit QB, not a gimmick.

aberdien
12-03-2013, 03:10 PM
If any young NFL QB today is a gimmick it's RG3. Wilson can actually throw accurately.

weazel
12-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Who is putting these teams in the super bowl? It's a hypothetical thread. Calm down.

calm down? did my post look harried? If that's how it read, I apologize as I definitely was not worked up in the least lol.

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 03:29 PM

if it has nothing to do with his race? why do you feel it necessary to mention that?

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 03:30 PM
calm down? did my post look harried? If that's how it read, I apologize as I definitely was not worked up in the least lol.

you are being passive aggressive. Everyone just calm down

jhildebrand
12-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Russell Wilson is on his way. However, the thing about the POs and especially the SB is minor flaws become major and major flaws become lethal. Almost all of the time experience wins out (except when Tom Brady and the camcorder were around). When the read option is shut down and you contain him in the pocket Wilson becomes very pedestrian. At that point he also has the glaring issue of not being able to pass over the middle and you can get hands up and either bat the ball or cause picks by getting in his vision. He'll get there but this isn't their year.

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Russell Wilson is on his way. However, the thing about the POs and especially the SB is minor flaws become major and major flaws become lethal. Almost all of the time experience wins out (except when Tom Brady and the camcorder were around). When the read option is shut down and you contain him in the pocket Wilson becomes very pedestrian. At that point he also has the glaring issue of not being able to pass over the middle. He'll get there but this isn't their year.

I was wondering about that, he wasn't contained in the pocket last night, and that would be my gameplan if I was going against him

slim
12-03-2013, 03:47 PM

Yeah, I was going to say something....BTB's post didn't make any sense.

Ziggy
12-03-2013, 04:03 PM
I'll take the drop back pocket QB in the super bowl any day. When was the last time a running QB won the super bowl?

Lancane
12-03-2013, 04:20 PM
if it has nothing to do with his race? why do you feel it necessary to mention that?

Because there are those that sometimes try to use the race card when someone doesn't think highly of certain players, and that IMHO has nothing to do with my argument against him and I don't want to hear it's because he's not white.

BroncoNut
12-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Because there are those that sometimes try to use the race card when someone doesn't think highly of certain players, and that IMHO has nothing to do with my argument against him and I don't want to hear it's because he's not white.

I iknow, I was just messing around. I was being sarcastic, my post was an imitation of how some of those people might react.

Lancane
12-03-2013, 04:24 PM
It's only Wilsons second year, so we'll see; at least he's avoided the sophomore slump. He's hit 64.9% of his passes this year, has 22 TDs and just 6 Ints. As far as youthful wilting under bright playoff lights, maybe, but most rookies (and many vets) would envy his playoff performance last year: His yardage wasn't great @Washington (Lynch carried them that game) but Wilson hit 15/26 passes with a TD and didn't throw a pick, enough to get them to Atlanta, where he was 24/36 for 385 yds, 2 TDs and 1 Int in a 2 pt loss.

I admit not watching him play much apart from their road comeback against Houston (where Wilsons running was decisive) but he doesn't strike me as just another option QB: He hits his throws, and makes Golden Tate look better than he probably is. As long as running is just something that complements excellent passing, he's a legit QB, not a gimmick.

Sorry, but I totally disagree...he's your A-typical option quarterback, RGIII and Newton are both better pocket passers...that is my opinion at least. Take away that top defense and elite rushing attack and Wilson becomes a liability.

Shazam!
12-03-2013, 04:39 PM
There's still a lot of football to be played and I hate even thinking of this so soon.

BUT...

Show me a great defense I'll show you a great QB who will school it.

BroncoWave
12-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Russell Wilson is on his way. However, the thing about the POs and especially the SB is minor flaws become major and major flaws become lethal. Almost all of the time experience wins out (except when Tom Brady and the camcorder were around). When the read option is shut down and you contain him in the pocket Wilson becomes very pedestrian. At that point he also has the glaring issue of not being able to pass over the middle and you can get hands up and either bat the ball or cause picks by getting in his vision. He'll get there but this isn't their year.

Big Ben's Steelers won a Super Bowl in his second season using the exact same formula this Seahawks team is using. Great defense, good running game, and the QB doesn't make too many mistakes. It can definitely be done. Mark Sanchez made back to back AFC title games in his first few years. Colin Kaepernick led a team to the Super Bowl last year and he was less polished then than Wilson is now. There are several examples of young, inexperienced QBs leading teams deep in the playoffs. It's not all that rare.

AZBronco
12-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Seattle is a team that scares me in their place, and the primary reason is because of their aggressive play. On occasion, our receivers can seem soft. We will need aggressive play to the ball and big hits on defense. We can't be intimidated by their style of play. I know it was preseason and game planned accordingly, but we had a poor showing then. I have high hopes though, and am confident we can play them well.

BroncoWave
12-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Can you imagine if they were still in our division. Denver, KC, and Seattle all in one division? Sheesh! I am just glad we won't have to play in their stadium in the playoffs. I just don't see anyone winning there unless a ton of fortunate breaks go their way.

weazel
12-03-2013, 06:13 PM
until Manning and the Broncos can prove they can win a playoff game or beat the Patriots I think Superbowl talk is a little premature.

Broncolingus
12-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Thoughts about Denver vs Seattle in the Superbowl

...looks like this has been posted already, but I wouldn't want anything to do with the Sea-cocks right now the way they are playing - even on a neutral field.

That said, I am eager to see how they do against the 69ers this weekend...

...if they roll them decisively at Candlestick(it-in-my-butt), then hmmmm....

until Manning and the Broncos can prove they can win a playoff game or beat the Patriots I think Superbowl talk is a little premature.

...well said, Weaz, and 100% agree.

Joel
12-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Sorry, but I totally disagree...he's your A-typical option quarterback, RGIII and Newton are both better pocket passers...that is my opinion at least. Take away that top defense and elite rushing attack and Wilson becomes a liability.
Like I say, apart from Monday and @Houston I haven't seen him play much, and so can't commit to anything firm. However, IMHO, RGIII looks more like the prototypical option QB; regardless, Wilson has a higher completion percentage, more TDs and less Ints than RGIII or Newton this year. His career numbers are better, too, except Cam's had 9 more TDs in his extra year and RGIII's tied with 16 Ints. We'll see; all three are too young to say anything definite, again IMHO.

BroncoWave
12-03-2013, 06:33 PM

Meh, it's something interesting to talk about. I think we all realize the Super Bowl isn't a given.

weazel
12-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Meh, it's something interesting to talk about. I think we all realize the Super Bowl isn't a given.

It will be nice if we played dome teams in the playoffs :D

MOtorboat
12-03-2013, 06:38 PM

Not to continue to disagree here, Lancane, but he didn't even run an option in college.

BroncoWave
12-03-2013, 06:40 PM
It will be nice if we played dome teams in the playoffs :D

The closest we could potentially get to that is Miami in round 2 and Indy in the AFCCG. I would happy sign up for that!

Joel
12-03-2013, 06:55 PM
That's the most alarming thing about Seattle: They don't just have the NFLs best record, but did it with probably the NFLs toughest schedule. Until last year the NFCW had been the weakest division every year for decades; now they could easily field three playoff teams, and, despite six games against those three teams, even the BAD team is still just a game below .500. The BEST NFCW team has meanwhile crushed the NFCs next best team 34-7, embarrassed the defending NFC Champs 29-3 and even gave the Panthers one of their few losses in a 12-7 road win.

The NFC playoffs seem almost a formality: Seattle's ALREADY beaten ALL the NFCs best teams, BADLY in two cases and on the road in the other. The Arizona road game wasn't close either, even if the Cards managed 9 pts at the end to make their 34-22 loss more respectable. Maybe that all changes if their secondary's destroyed by a triple-whammy of injury, doping/partying suspensions and the NFL finally holding their physical CBs to the same standard enforced on the OTHER 31 teams, but otherwise it's hard to see who beats them in Seattle.

For those who like esoteric stats pulled from thin air/recta, ESPN has a new one predicting a Broncos/Seahawks SB: http://espn.go.com/nfl/?topId=10072818 I don't see it explained ANYWHERE.

Lancane
12-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Not to continue to disagree here, Lancane, but he didn't even run an option in college.

Doesn't matter if you do or not, it's about skillset and Wilson is not your typical pocket passer, he still fits the idea of an option quarterback. RGIII and Cam Newton are both option quarterbacks in offenses that while containing some option plays within are not option based and are based of pro offenses. I've watched Seattle and despite all the hoopla he still runs the offense as I would expect of any option bred quarterback...take away his mobility, take away his defense and run game and Wilson is lucky to be not considered mediocre. Not that he can not conform, Alex Smith was an option quarterback who struggled in a pro system and he's become a competent game manager, but that isn't always the case. Cunningham and McNair are perfect example of A-typical option style quarterbacks or as close to that conformed.

CrazyHorse
12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
I think the Broncos can keep Lynch in check and contain Wilson. Seattle's secondary could limit our passing game too, but I don't think they could completely stop it.. Ultimately it would come down to Wilson against our secondary, which could be entirely healthy, and how well Moreno and Ball can run against their defense. What worries me most is turnovers and the weather conditions.

claymore
12-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I think the Broncos can keep Lynch in check and contain Wilson. Seattle's secondary could limit our passing game too, but I don't think they could completely stop it.. Ultimately it would come down to Wilson against our secondary, which could be entirely healthy, and how well Moreno and Ball can run against their defense. What worries me most is turnovers and the weather conditions.

I think we can contain Lynch too. By contain I mean under a 100 and 1 TD. If we can keep Manning's Jersey clean then I think we win this game. If we lead at the half, I think we would lose. Our heads are to big, and Del Rio and Fox dont instill much discipline. JMO

Joel
12-04-2013, 06:08 PM
I think we COULD'VE contained Lynch before we lost Big Vick; now I'm waiting to see how our top ten run D does against CJ2K. Charles had a pretty good average Sunday; fortunately KC kept trying to go deep, our secondary usually covered their receivers well and they usually dropped the ball when we didn't.

The big question IF we play Seattle is our receiving hydra vs. their DBs: Whether our big receivers can outmuscle the Legion of Boom, doping suspensions do the job for them and/or the refs decide to stop letting Seattle ignore PI, Illegal Contact and Defensive Holding rules that apply to all 31 other teams. There would be other questions, of course (though if we reach the SB the annual PFM vs. Winter should be settled in his favor) like our thin lines pass blocking, whether they can open holes and whether Ball's truly ready to share the load with Moreno.

Our receiving hydra vs. their secondary would likely be the story of the game though, unless our front four is badly vulnerable without Vickerson (in which case the SB may not be our problem.)

Dzone
12-04-2013, 07:16 PM
It would be great to get Indy in Denver on a really cold arctic day...Dome teams are sissies in the cold

Joel
12-04-2013, 08:24 PM
It would be great to get Indy in Denver on a really cold arctic day...Dome teams are sissies in the cold
That's what I keep thinking, too. It would be ironic if the Colts won a freezing road playoff AGAINST Manning, but I doubt it. They needed four turnovers to beat us by 6 at home; they also lost Reggie Wayne at the end of that game and haven't been the same since. Their other WRs have talent, but their youth is showing in drops. I think the Bengals smash them at home in the cold, and the Chiefs may, too.

I'd definitely prefer Indy to KC in the Divisional; after a team's seen your playbook and personnel up close twice it's hard to beat them a third time, and aaaall they'll hear from the coaches that week is "if we hadn't dropped every other pass we'd be hosting Denver instead of the other way around." Don't know that it's true, but if we play again I doubt they have the dropsies like the first two times, and if they quit trying to prove themselves and keep feeding Charles it might not matter (he had a good day Sunday, they just didn't stick with him.)

Ideally, we host and thump Indy, then NE (Manning and Welker would surely love that,) then it's a whole new ballgame. The SB's the ultimate case of "any team can beat any team on any given Sunday." There's no seeding, the site's neutral, the records are irrelevant even for hosting and it doesn't matter how good the teams are on paper, often even in reality. It's down to how each coach matches his personnel and style up against the others, gameplans and executes; whoever wins THAT DAY—and ONLY that day—is champion. Here's hoping that's us.

zbeg
12-06-2013, 02:39 AM
Seattle's one of those teams where when you watch them at home, you think "holy cow, this team is unreal," then they go on the road and they're down 17-3 to a bad team and you think, "What is happening right now?" They've gotten very lucky in some of their road wins, and are closer to a 3 or 4 loss team than the 1 loss team they are now.

Next year Denver plays in Seattle and I think that's going to be a super tough game, but if it's Seahawks/Broncos in the Super Bowl? I don't fear them nearly as much. They have a lot of flaws that get exposed when they're away from home.

And FWIW, they don't play in cold weather that often. It doesn't get below freezing all that often in Seattle, and snow isn't a common occurrence.

Joel
12-06-2013, 09:09 AM
At this point I want someone other than Seattle to win just so we don't have a vacated Super Bowl championship to go with the vacated USC "National" "Championship" a few years ago. Seriously, SEVEN guys caught juiciing in THREE years? Either we believe the NFL just happened to catch every single Seahawk who's doping, or there are more the League DIDN'T catch. Which in turn means Pete Carroll's either the unluckiest coach in history or runs a dirty program wherever he goes.

BroncoJoe
12-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Doesn't matter if you do or not, it's about skillset and Wilson is not your typical pocket passer, he still fits the idea of an option quarterback. RGIII and Cam Newton are both option quarterbacks in offenses that while containing some option plays within are not option based and are based of pro offenses. I've watched Seattle and despite all the hoopla he still runs the offense as I would expect of any option bred quarterback...take away his mobility, take away his defense and run game and Wilson is lucky to be not considered mediocre. Not that he can not conform, Alex Smith was an option quarterback who struggled in a pro system and he's become a competent game manager, but that isn't always the case. Cunningham and McNair are perfect example of A-typical option style quarterbacks or as close to that conformed.

All descent points, but really. You could say that about ANY quarterback.

olathebroncofan
12-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Seattle's one of those teams where when you watch them at home, you think "holy cow, this team is unreal," then they go on the road and they're down 17-3 to a bad team and you think, "What is happening right now?" They've gotten very lucky in some of their road wins, and are closer to a 3 or 4 loss team than the 1 loss team they are now.

Next year Denver plays in Seattle and I think that's going to be a super tough game, but if it's Seahawks/Broncos in the Super Bowl? I don't fear them nearly as much. They have a lot of flaws that get exposed when they're away from home.

And FWIW, they don't play in cold weather that often. It doesn't get below freezing all that often in Seattle, and snow isn't a common occurrence.

His do you know that we play in Seattle?

zbeg
12-06-2013, 09:51 PM
His do you know that we play in Seattle?

14 of the 16 games are predetermined. We also play @Patriots next year.

EDIT: here's a link

http://www.denverbroncos.com/schedule-and-events/future-opponents.html

nevcraw
12-07-2013, 12:20 AM
as AZ said well -- I worry too about our WR's playing tough against sherman and co. we played gritty last week and will need to keep that up to put up points and not turnovers against a very hard hitting secondary like Seattle. what a great Super Bowl that would be. I think D thomas needs to find his his inner beast. he's capable of being the best but he doesn't seem physical or angry enough to shut up/down sherman… it's a fantasy thread so gimme Easy ed and Rod with a dose of Welker or even better Stokely and I would love this match up.

Joel
12-07-2013, 11:01 PM
I just looked over the per/att stats for a response to the BSP article on todays game, and found something disquieting:

Denver isn't 1st in passing yds/attempt; Seattle is (and Philly is second—too bad their D's merely average vs. the run AND pass.) Seattles also 1st in least yds ALLOWED/ att. Plus they're 7th in rushing yds/att, so they're actually running well, not just racking up flashy totals killing the clock in the second half (though they're doing that, too; they're 3rd in rushing yds/game.)

MOtorboat
12-07-2013, 11:28 PM
I just looked over the per/att stats for a response to the BSP article on todays game, and found something disquieting:

Denver isn't 1st in passing yds/attempt; Seattle is (and Philly is second—too bad their D's merely average vs. the run AND pass.) Seattles also 1st in least yds ALLOWED/ att. Plus they're 7th in rushing yds/att, so they're actually running well, not just racking up flashy totals killing the clock in the second half (though they're doing that, too; they're 3rd in rushing yds/game.)

Oh SHIT!

What will we ever do?!?

Simple Jaded
12-08-2013, 12:18 AM
At this point I want someone other than Seattle to win just so we don't have a vacated Super Bowl championship to go with the vacated USC "National" "Championship" a few years ago. Seriously, SEVEN guys caught juiciing in THREE years? Either we believe the NFL just happened to catch every single Seahawk who's doping, or there are more the League DIDN'T catch. Which in turn means Pete Carroll's either the unluckiest coach in history or runs a dirty program wherever he goes.

I love that a Patriot fan high fived this post.

Joel
12-08-2013, 01:08 AM
I love that a Patriot fan high fived this post.
I found that rather amusing as well. ;)

zbeg
12-09-2013, 02:43 AM

What are their home/road splits? At he they're the 1985 Bears, which skews things a lot I would guess.

Joel
12-09-2013, 03:20 AM
What are their home/road splits? At he they're the 1985 Bears, which skews things a lot I would guess.
9.2 at home, 8.6 on the road; it's a drop, but only half a yards worth: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/sea/seattle-seahawks
8.9 and 8.3 for us, so they're better at home and on the road, and we're only 0.3 yds better at home than they are on the road. http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/den/denver-broncos

I think there's a knock on Wilson and Seattles passing because they ride Lynch so hard they're only 21st in TOTAL passing yards, but leading the NFL in yds/att is MUCH bigger, IMHO, because it's a better gauge of what they'll do if a team manages to shut down Lynch with defense or just lots of scoring: Seattle will STILL rack up yards, just through the air rather than on the ground.

Limiting Wilsons throws to the most favorable conditions whenever possible surely raises his stats and real productivity, but isn't that basically what ALL OCs try to do, one way or the other? As long as they CAN it's logical to evaluate them on how well they DO what they always ATTEMPT. Saying a team executes its gameplan well every week is a strange way to criticize its QB. The '62 Pack was 10th out of 14 in TOTAL passing yds, but did that make Starr a bad QB? Since they were tied for 2nd in yds/att, probably not; they just rarely NEEDED to pass much.