PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Forecast

SR
12-02-2013, 11:48 AM
As of now the forecasted high in Denver for Sunday is 19. Just wanted to put that out there.

Mike
12-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Peyton can go a long ways in dispelling my doubts by going ham on the Titans.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-02-2013, 12:10 PM
It's the Titans. We've lost two games in bad weater, in overtime, to two good teams. We better drop the hammer.

SR
12-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Peyton can go a long ways in dispelling my doubts by going ham on the Titans. I'd love to see him destroy Tennessee, but even if he does to HAM and Denver blows Tennessee up, there will still be people out there that pull the "but it was the TITANS and it doesn't prove anything" card. Joel.

Mike
12-02-2013, 12:25 PM
I'd love to see him destroy Tennessee, but even if he does to HAM and Denver blows Tennessee up, there will still be people out there that pull the "but it was the TITANS and it doesn't prove anything" card. Joel.

I don't care who it is against. I just want to see the same type of passes that he was making today. To me it is about Peyton vs the cold weather that I want to see.

underrated29
12-02-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't give a f what people think or say about Peyton and cold weather. Oh, it's cold so broncos will automatically lose cuz mr. Sniffles will make the ball hard.

They will see come playoffs. They will see.

Lancane
12-02-2013, 12:36 PM
I don't give a f what people think or say about Peyton and cold weather. Oh, it's cold so broncos will automatically lose cuz mr. Sniffles will make the ball hard.

It would be an easier argument Under, if Manning hadn't shown himself to struggle not only in dismal weather conditions but in the playoffs as well. Two separate monkeys on his back which he has to exorcize himself with the help of his teammates...just as Elway had to do when it came to winning the Super Bowl. I think it will be fine in the end, but there is an argument there for or against, I don't think any of us want him to fail, but are pessimistic because he has done so far too much for some of us to be completely at ease.

OrangeHoof
12-02-2013, 12:40 PM
As of now the forecasted high in Denver for Sunday is 19. Just wanted to put that out there.

It's Global Warming! (tm)

Timmy!
12-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Actually a good thing I think. This will be well below freezing game #2 on the year, experience and getting familiar with what we can and can not do in the cold will be big time come January (and maybe February).

underrated29
12-02-2013, 03:43 PM
It would be an easier argument Under, if Manning hadn't shown himself to struggle not only in dismal weather conditions but in the playoffs as well. Two separate monkeys on his back which he has to exorcize himself with the help of his teammates...just as Elway had to do when it came to winning the Super Bowl. I think it will be fine in the end, but there is an argument there for or against, I don't think any of us want him to fail, but are pessimistic because he has done so far too much for some of us to be completely at ease.

I just think it is a dumb argument. How many Qbs do really well in the cold? I bet most all of QBs numbers dip a bit. To my best memory brady, big ben, and eli are the only QBs to have won consistently in the playoffs. All other Qbs- flacco,rodgers, rivers, brees, Romo, Matt ryan, Russell wilson, Capernick- have as many or less superbowl wins than manning. So unless we say ALL QBs aside from Brady, Ben and Eli cant win in the cold I find it a very weak and stupid argument. It, to me, has the relevance of saying manning cant win if the field is painted with green lettering.

Ziggy
12-02-2013, 03:48 PM
The only thing that's going to dispel the 'Manning can't win in cold weather' perception is a super bowl win this season.

BroncoNut
12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
peyton was wearing a fitted glove on his passing hand yesterday. not sure what that was all about

SR
12-02-2013, 04:09 PM
peyton was wearing a fitted glove on his passing hand yesterday. not sure what that was all about

Did it last year and has done it he last three games this year.

SR
The only thing that's going to dispel the 'Manning can't win in cold weather' perception is a super bowl win this season.

For a lot of people, yes.

Mike
I just think it is a dumb argument. How many Qbs do really well in the cold? I bet most all of QBs numbers dip a bit. To my best memory brady, big ben, and eli are the only QBs to have won consistently in the playoffs. All other Qbs- flacco,rodgers, rivers, brees, Romo, Matt ryan, Russell wilson, Capernick- have as many or less superbowl wins than manning. So unless we say ALL QBs aside from Brady, Ben and Eli cant win in the cold I find it a very weak and stupid argument. It, to me, has the relevance of saying manning cant win if the field is painted with green lettering.

How many have had nerve damage? Given how he played in the Balt playoff game (no deep passes) and again against NE last week, I think it is a very valid concern. One I hope he gets rid of this week against Tennessee.

Ziggy
12-02-2013, 04:38 PM
The New England game was more of a wind issue than a cold weather issue. Manning doesn't have the arm strength to overcome a strong wind. That's why Belichick chose to kick in OT and take the wind. He knew that Manning and the Broncos would have to work their way down the field slowly, and the odds were against them. I'm not worried about the cold weather. I am however, worried about the wind in the playoffs and super bowl.

BroncoNut
12-02-2013, 04:41 PM
The New England game was more of a wind issue than a cold weather issue. Manning doesn't have the arm strength to overcome a strong wind. That's why Belichick chose to kick in OT and take the wind. He knew that Manning and the Broncos would have to work their way down the field slowly, and the odds were against them. I'm not worried about the cold weather. I am however, worried about the wind in the playoffs and super bowl.

that's right on ziggy

BroncoNut
12-02-2013, 04:43 PM

we need to get Oz some reps for that reason. Oz has a wicked strong arm. wicked strong.

Nomad
12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
At least this big storm hits Denver in the middle of this week rather than this weekend or Sunday. BRONCOS will be fine and get the win.

Broncolingus
12-02-2013, 06:21 PM

Play well in cool/cold weather for almost the next 2-months actually!

Joel
12-02-2013, 08:49 PM

One way or the other, we'll all see. Manning's only had one freezing playoff game AT HOME, which isn't much of a sample size; the rest were all on the road, and lots of guys have lost freezing road games against playoff teams. If we win out against the 4 losing teams we have left, we'll see what he does with a home crowd, and it'll probably freeze at least once.

Pretty much, though he might get a second chance if he comes back next year.

On the glove: He wore it last year, and Simms said Sunday he's been wearing it for a few weeks so he'll be used to it come the playoffs (it was still VERY novel against Baltimore last year; I think that was either the first or second time he'd used it, and he went back and forth from use to not-use to use-again: Not great for touch passes.)

On Tennessee: They ARE crap, but I'm more concerned about CJ2K without Vickerson than Manning in the cold. All opponents will play their guts out till mathematically eliminated, and this year I'm not sure anyone but the top 5 AFC teams are good enough to clinch a wildcard even in week 17. Maybe we should do like pro soccer: Whoever "wins" the "National" "Championship" gets the AFCs #6 wildcard, and whichever of Houston, Jax and Atlanta finishes last gets sent back to the SECAA. :tongue:

WTE
12-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Peyton is to cold weather what Joel is to short posts.

olathebroncofan
12-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Peyton is to cold weather what Joel is to short posts.

Something I think we can all agree with.

dogfish
12-03-2013, 12:30 AM

Actually a good thing I think. This will be well below freezing game #2 on the year, experience and getting familiar with what we can and can not do in the cold will be big time come January (and maybe February).

yep. . . good-- the colder the better. . . may as well get used to it now, it's going to be cold anywhere we play in january or february. . . a solid win in the cold this weekend could go a long way towards building some confidence. . .

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Peyton isn't practicing today which may be one reason they are in the bubble. I saw a report that it was 7 degrees and snowing, and in my opinion from a preparation standpoint, today would have been perfect to spend some time outside in the elements. I'm sure tomorrow will be equally as a cold, and I'd like to see the team practice outdoors. It will take away some of the efficiency of coaching the team up, but it will have them outside in the elements and hopefully have them better prepared for a cold afternoon on Sunday.

When Manning was prepping for the XLI Super Bowl, he saw that rain was in the forecast and he and Jeff Saturday spent a lot extra time on the sideline snapping balls that had been submerged in a bucket of water, just in case they had to deal with a slippery ball on Super Bowl Sunday. That work paid off since it was the only Super Bowl to be played in a rain storm, so to me most work outside in the elements can have a benefit.

I'd also like to see 83/88/87/80/27/etc wear winter gear(sleeves) as opposed to attempting to show off some form of toughness by going sleeveless in such cold conditions, but that might just be me. I feel they would be more productive in some Nike/Underarmour heat/winter gear.

TXBRONC
12-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Well what if he would goes turkey on the Titans would that still go a long way dispelling your doubts? :D

BroncoJoe
12-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Peyton isn't practicing today which may be one reason they are in the bubble. I saw a report that it was 7 degrees and snowing, and in my opinion from a preparation standpoint, today would have been perfect to spend some time outside in the elements. I'm sure tomorrow will be equally as a cold, and I'd like to see the team practice outdoors. It will take away some of the efficiency of coaching the team up, but it will have them outside in the elements and hopefully have them better prepared for a cold afternoon on Sunday.

When Manning was prepping for the XLI Super Bowl, he saw that rain was in the forecast and he and Jeff Saturday spent a lot extra time on the sideline snapping balls that had been submerged in a bucket of water, just in case they had to deal with a slippery ball on Super Bowl Sunday. That work paid off since it was the only Super Bowl to be played in a rain storm, so to me most work outside in the elements can have a benefit.

I'd also like to see 83/88/87/80/27/etc wear winter gear(sleeves) as opposed to attempting to show off some form of toughness by going sleeveless in such cold conditions, but that might just be me. I feel they would be more productive in some Nike/Underarmour heat/winter gear.

Too much risk for injury. Plus, ask nearly any player and practicing in cold still doesn't acclimate you to cold. Doesn't work that way.

MasterShake
12-04-2013, 03:31 PM

I never understood the logic of practicing in the elements to be honest. Here in Denver today like you said it is freezing and snowing with slick surfaces. I'd rather they get the gameplan nailed down and work on timing then try to prepare for something as random as the weather. Plus if someone got hurt due to bad outdoor field conditions it would really reinforce that practicing for a game and playing in a game are two different things. Several players have come on the local sports stations here and admitted that there is no good or logical way to prepare for bad weather games, you just kind of have to go out there and deal with it.

And in regards to the winter gear for the receivers and backs, I think they try to wear as little as possible to avoid being grabbed from what I understand. A little tug on your long sleeve from behind as you go up for a pass could go unnoticed by the officials.

tripp
12-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Literally no reason to throw 5 TD's and 400 Yds when our run game has been as good as it is. I'll never take any game for granted but we should let Moreno rest some more, and allow Montee Ball be the main work horse again this week. Keep the Titan's defense honest.

BroncoJoe
12-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Literally no reason to throw 5 TD's and 400 Yds when our run game has been as good as it is. I'll never take any game for granted but we should let Moreno rest some more, and allow Montee Ball be the main work horse again this week. Keep the Titan's defense honest.

FYI - our best rushing day resulted in a loss.

tripp
12-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I never understood the logic of practicing in the elements to be honest. Here in Denver today like you said it is freezing and snowing with slick surfaces. I'd rather they get the gameplan nailed down and work on timing then try to prepare for something as random as the weather. Plus if someone got hurt due to bad outdoor field conditions it would really reinforce that practicing for a game and playing in a game are two different things. Several players have come on the local sports stations here and admitted that there is no good or logical way to prepare for bad weather games, you just kind of have to go out there and deal with it.

And in regards to the winter gear for the receivers and backs, I think they try to wear as little as possible to avoid being grabbed from what I understand. A little tug on your long sleeve from behind as you go up for a pass could go unnoticed by the officials.

I think Pat Bowlen and the Broncos FO is with you on this one, which is precisely why they're building an all new training facility for the Broncos to practice in.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Right now - Sunday's forecast 16 degrees, light snow

http://radar.cbslocal.com/kcnc/5day.jpg

tripp
12-04-2013, 03:37 PM

I wouldn't pin that on the run game. Run game didn't cause the ball to hit Carter's ankle resulting into a fumble.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Too much risk for injury. Plus, ask nearly any player and practicing in cold still doesn't acclimate you to cold. Doesn't work that way.

If they were hitting(which they aren't), I would agree with much more risk. I disagree with getting acclimated to the cold. The more you are in it the more accustomed you are to it. If he's having issues with his grip in the cold, then the more time he spends in it, the more experience he gets with testing technique's. Just like taking BP against 95mph heat in high school. You set the jugs machine up because not many coaches can throw the heat like that in BP.

You make valid points, but the timing in the bubble isn't the same as it would be on Sunday. There are pros and cons to everything, and it seems the biggest question surrounding 18 is his ability in the weather, and I'm a firm believer in reps and experience.

If it's the skin tight underarmour type gear theres nothing to grab hold on. If it's the loose sleeves that some wear then yes, I agree it's something extra that a defender could grab hold of, but I think the skin tight type gear would be an improvement.

Northman
12-04-2013, 03:39 PM

Basically. Or next season if he comes back.

Northman
12-04-2013, 03:41 PM
yep. . . good-- the colder the better. . . may as well get used to it now, it's going to be cold anywhere we play in january or february. . . a solid win in the cold this weekend could go a long way towards building some confidence. . .

Well said chump.

BroncoNut
12-04-2013, 03:43 PM

insignificant correlation Joe. you know better than that

TXBRONC
12-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Our chances of winning are a lot better if the ball is in Manning's hands.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 03:50 PM
I think Pat Bowlen and the Broncos FO is with you on this one, which is precisely why they're building an all new training facility for the Broncos to practice in.

I can still see a team staying outside to prepare for bad weather games. I know the Colts had an indoor facility but when prepping for potentially cold weather games that they would still practice outside.

It will be nice to have a better indoor facility that is for sure, but I still see some time spent outdoors in colder/bad weather conditions if needed.

MasterShake
12-04-2013, 03:52 PM
If they were hitting(which they aren't), I would agree with much more risk. I disagree with getting acclimated to the cold. The more you are in it the more accustomed you are to it. If he's having issues with his grip in the cold, then the more time he spends in it, the more experience he gets with testing technique's. Just like taking BP against 95mph heat in high school. You set the jugs machine up because not many coaches can throw the heat like that in BP.

You make valid points, but the timing in the bubble isn't the same as it would be on Sunday. There are pros and cons to everything, and it seems the biggest question surrounding 18 is his ability in the weather, and I'm a firm believer in reps and experience.

If it's the skin tight underarmour type gear theres nothing to grab hold on. If it's the loose sleeves that some wear then yes, I agree it's something extra that a defender could grab hold of, but I think the skin tight type gear would be an improvement.

The timing will be different, yes, but the field at the facility was covered in snow and even if it was scraped or shoveled it wouldn't
be nearly as good as Mile High would be on Sunday. That field has a heating and drainage system, and all but the worst snow storms will affect the playing surface in the same way the outdoor practice field would have been.

A boxer doesn't have to get hit without sparring equipment to know it hurts, and you never forget how cold December through February gets in Denver. Prepare in the best possible and safest way and it will help you overcome any obstacle from late game deficits to weather.

Army Bronco
12-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Is DRC playing? Champ, DRC, and Harris vs Fitzpatrick.... should be a good game....for Denver.

LawDog
12-04-2013, 04:00 PM
The timing will be different, yes, but the field at the facility was covered in snow and even if it was scraped or shoveled it wouldn't
be nearly as good as Mile High would be on Sunday. That field has a heating and drainage system, and all but the worst snow storms will affect the playing surface in the same way the outdoor practice field would have been.

A boxer doesn't have to get hit without sparring equipment to know it hurts, and you never forget how cold December through February gets in Denver. Prepare in the best possible and safest way and it will help you overcome any obstacle from late game deficits to weather.

They added heaters under the fields at Dove Valley last spring if I remember correctly. Actually, according to the team site, one of the fields has electric heaters - see the last paragraph in this link: http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/training-facility.html

SR
12-04-2013, 04:14 PM

And our running game was pretty successful last week but Peyton still threw for 400/5.

BroncoJoe
12-04-2013, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't pin that on the run game. Run game didn't cause the ball to hit Carter's ankle resulting into a fumble.

Not pinning it on the running game, just stating fact. Pass to win. That's the NFL now.

Don't have to get hit to slip on the ice/snow and get yourself hurt. You can't prepare for cold. It's just cold. You either deal with it or don't.

insignificant correlation Joe. you know better than that

Shut up, fag.

AllThings18
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Don't have to get hit to slip on the ice/snow and get yourself hurt. You can't prepare for cold. It's just cold. You either deal with it or don't.

True, and you don't even have to be at the facility to slip/hurt yourself. Isn't there a Brian Griese story/memory surrounding something weird like that off the field?

Again, I think the more times you do something the better you can be at doing it. Whether that's replacing a radiator, painting a room or playing in cold weather. Especially the way Manning keeps stating that over the past 1.5 years he's learning more and more about his body/arm how to do things. Even if it's him and someone simply going out taking snaps and throwing to good ole Jim Bob Cooter, I think some good can come from it.

SR
12-04-2013, 04:37 PM
True, and you don't even have to be at the facility to slip/hurt yourself. Isn't there a Brian Griese story/memory surrounding something weird like that off the field? Again, I think the more times you do something the better you can be at doing it. Whether that's replacing a radiator, painting a room or playing in cold weather. Especially the way Manning keeps stating that over the past 1.5 years he's learning more and more about his body/arm how to do things. Even if it's him and someone simply going out taking snaps and throwing to good ole Jim Bob Cooter, I think some good can come from it.

Joe Sakic broke his finger using a snow blower a few years back.

Joel
12-04-2013, 06:41 PM

That was the most pathetic sloppy SB I've ever seen (SB V was 3.5 years before I was born,) but the point's valid. On why teams practice for something as unpredictable as weather:

1) Practicing under ideal rather than game conditions has a long history of producing gameplans that work like clockwork all week in practice and implode on game day.
2) All that practice under adverse conditions does absolutely no harm if conditions are unexpectedly ideal, and may even help reduce turnovers that might've occurred anyway.

Now, EXECUTING and CHOOSING plays are very different; however well and much a team practices slogging through frozen mud, that gameplan must go out the windo if the GAME turns into a clear warm air war. Yet, especially with this offense, that leads back to point 2: PFM and his elite receivers (including two Pro Bowlers) are already adept at long passes under ideal conditions; they don't need much "preparation" for that, only for the things they'll be forced to do if their preferred attack isn't possible.

Joel
12-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Joe Sakic broke his finger using a snow blower a few years back.
According to Wkiipedia a lot of the Packers couldn't start their cars before the Ice Bowl and had to get rides from someone else. One of their LBs had to hitchhike, and a book quoted in the article says one of their safeties found his battery frozen and dead when he tried to leave; he called a guy from the gas station to jump it, but told him, "It's just too cold to play. They're going to call this game off." Except the NFL didn't do that back then (not until about 20 years ago, in fact.) It's football: Suck it up, buttercup.

Dzone
12-04-2013, 07:50 PM
"It's just too cold to play. They're going to call this game off." Except the NFL didn't do that back then (not until about 20 years ago, in fact.) It's football: Suck it up, buttercup.
Are you saying that 20 years ago the NFL started cancelling games due to cold?

Joel
12-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Are you saying that 20 years ago the NFL started cancelling games due to cold?
No, due to lightning, though I can't recall the exact date (MNF, IIRC.) Seems like it was the late '90s, and I don't know of any games canceled for any weather reason prior to that. To be fair, if it had just been the poor bums on the field I suspect they would've played on, but having 50,000 paying spectators electrocuted on national TV is bad for the brand. ;)