PDA

View Full Version : DT sure looks a bit gimpy

SoCalImport
12-02-2013, 06:59 AM
OK. Maybe "gimpy" isn't the right word.

I don't remember seeing Demaryius Thomas on the injured list but there's no way he's 100% right now. Everyone has seen him run away from DBs before (ala. Overtime playoff TD two years ago) but he wasn't running away from anyone last night and it's not the first time I've noticed this trend this year.
Just glad to see that it's not my imagination.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/gut-reaction-week-13-broncos-chiefs

The Who The Heck Knows
3.Demaryius Thomas had to be injured today, because Marcus Cooper caught him in dead sprint.

TXBRONC
12-02-2013, 07:17 AM

I don't remember seeing Demaryius Thomas on the injured list but there's no way he's 100% right now. Everyone has seen him run away from DBs before (ala. Overtime playoff TD two years ago) but he wasn't running away from anyone last night and it's not the first time I've noticed this trend this year.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/gut-reaction-week-13-broncos-chiefs

The Who The Heck Knows
3.Demaryius Thomas had to be injured today, because Marcus Cooper caught him in dead sprint.

He hurt his shoulder during the game.

That said, D. Thomas is a fast man but he doesn't have world class speed. Also a few weeks back I think Thomas twisted an ankle.

Northman
12-02-2013, 07:59 AM
I mentioned it last night as well but he is banged up. Either way, he still made a hell of a play.

GEM
12-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Report came out that he was playing with a slightly separated shoulder yesterday. Part of the reason he couldn't get the extension to catch a couple balls. I think he was mainly in to collect the double teams, allowing Decker to be man on man.

MOtorboat
12-02-2013, 11:09 AM
He hurt the shoulder on the interception at the beginning of the game.

LuisPastrana4
12-02-2013, 11:35 AM

The Who The Heck Knows

He hurt his shoulder during the game.

That said, D. Thomas is a fast man but he doesn't have world class speed. Also a few weeks back I think Thomas twisted an ankle.
DT definitely DOES have world class speed. If they're even, he's leaving.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Tom Helmer ‏@Tom_Helmer 14h

DT told Manning after first drive that he couldn't really lift his arm. Manning said if he knew that he wouldn't have thrown him the ball

Tom Helmer ‏@Tom_Helmer 14h

DT says he was in a good deal of pain with his shoulder injury. He was icing it in the locker room after the game.

TXBRONC
12-02-2013, 11:56 AM
DT definitely DOES have world class speed. If they're even, he's leaving.

In the 4.2 tob 4.3 range? I don't think so. I think he's in the 4.4 to 4.5 range which is plenty fast.

SR
12-02-2013, 12:22 PM
In the 4.2 tob 4.3 range? I don't think so. I think he's in the 4.4 to 4.5 range which is plenty fast.

4.36-4.38 hand timed before he hurt his foot

SoCalImport
12-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Makes sense a shoulder would effect your speed anyway. Gotta be able to pump those arms.

What I was suggesting though is more that he seems like his acceleration and/or top end speed is diminished this year. not just in last nights game in KC.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Makes sense a shoulder would effect your speed anyway. Gotta be able to pump those arms.

What I was suggesting though is more that he seems like his acceleration and/or top end speed is diminished this year. not just in last nights game in KC.

Hmmm, I'm not really sure what you're seeing. He's still easily the fastest offensive weapon we have. He also is one of the league leaders in big plays. I don't see a drop off in the slightest.

BroncoNut
12-02-2013, 02:33 PM
is this all based on the catch and run where he got caught from behind? I was a bit perplexed i'll have to admit. I thought he was going to take it to the house.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-02-2013, 03:02 PM
is this all based on the catch and run where he got caught from behind? I was a bit perplexed i'll have to admit. I thought he was going to take it to the house.

I believe his left shoulder is what was hurt. I think he was worried about stiff arming with his left hand. The guy was half a step behind him, but had he angle and would probably have been able to try to tackle him. If you rewatch the game he does nothing the whole game with his left hand.

Joel
12-02-2013, 09:07 PM
I saw at least one commentator has suggested the ref on the front of that play got in DTs way as he was trying to shake Cooper. That "slightly" separated shoulder (sounds like "kinda pregnant" to me, but OK) is scary though. He's our best WR and we need him in the playoffs, and I don't want him or anyone hurt regardless. Experienced folks help me out: ANY chance of being mostly recovered from that kind of injury in a months time? Even with the bye?

Honestly, it's gotten to the point where I'm as tense on Monday as Sunday, waiting for the first reports to roll in about who've we lost for a month/season. It's not just us either; the injury bug has been devastating this year, especially among AFC contenders. Everyone but KC has lost at least one HoFer/Pro Bowler for the year (I know Justin Houston's out, but he'll return.)

Dapper Dan
12-02-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but he went to the locker room during the game.

Joel
12-03-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but he went to the locker room during the game.
It was, yeah, and my heart sank at speculation Caldwell would replace him. During KCs TD return they said he'd just come back out of the tunnel.

DenBronx
12-03-2013, 01:21 AM
I don't think Caldwell is all that great.

Got to have these two Thomas guys back soon to see this offense get a couple more 50 point games before the season ends!

Lancane
12-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Problem is that Decker is an UFA after the season, Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas and Wes Welker are UFA comes season's end the following year, that is the best of our receiving corps. in a short time, Decker and D. Thomas are both hot and cold and J. Thomas is yet to finish a season healthy...but can they afford to retain them all? Decker is too close to the fans, the franchise, personnel and Manning, so I think they ink him to a long-term deal - but where does that leave T'n'T?

SR
12-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Problem is that Decker is an UFA after the season, Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas and Wes Welker are UFA comes season's end the following year, that is the best of our receiving corps. in a short time, Decker and D. Thomas are both hot and cold and J. Thomas is yet to finish a season healthy...but can they afford to retain them all? Decker is too close to the fans, the franchise, personnel and Manning, so I think they ink him to a long-term deal - but where does that leave T'n'T?

Wouldn't surprise me to see them trade Welker to save some cap. They could get a third rounder for him. If Decker has more games like Sunday, at his age he is far more important to the success and the future of this team.

Dapper Dan
12-03-2013, 09:46 AM
It was, yeah, and my heart sank at speculation Caldwell would replace him. During KCs TD return they said he'd just come back out of the tunnel.

I thought it was a funny. I was wondering if DT thought they were cheering for him.

Hawgdriver
12-03-2013, 11:28 AM
I'd like GimpyGod's take.

Hawgdriver
12-03-2013, 11:30 AM
If you rewatch the game he does nothing the whole game with his left hand.

Nice. 100 yard game with one operative arm.

Buff
12-03-2013, 12:26 PM
A couple of points from DT's long completion against KC:

1.) DT inexplicably changes directions and tries to cut across the field allowing the defenders to catch him. If he just runs in a straight line then that's a TD. For the life of me I can't figure out why he decided to cut back across the field with nobody in front of him.

2.) It looks like Jack Del Rio makes a comment into his headset along the lines of "I thought he was faster than that" with a half smirk on his face.

jhildebrand
12-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Hmmm, I'm not really sure what you're seeing. He's still easily the fastest offensive weapon we have. He also is one of the league leaders in big plays. I don't see a drop off in the slightest.

The caveat being Hillman rides the bench and Holiday rarely gets a play on O. Otherwise, those two are faster.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2013, 01:54 PM
The caveat being Hillman rides the bench and Holiday rarely gets a play on O. Otherwise, those two are faster.

I don't consider Holliday an offensive player, although it is quite offensive when he fumbles kicks.

I disagree, I don't think Hillman is as fast at DT.

Lancane
12-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Wouldn't surprise me to see them trade Welker to save some cap. They could get a third rounder for him. If Decker has more games like Sunday, at his age he is far more important to the success and the future of this team.

But Welker is near the tail end of his career which could play a factor in any trade while Demaryius Thomas is still young and has the size not to mention ability to vault into that category of elite but still struggles on reads, lacks true breakaway speed and at times his field of vision can be questionable. And despite the fact that I like him as a person, I wonder if it would not be better to trade D. Thomas and retain the rest of the corps. and draft someone like Allen Robinson of Penn State or Jaelen Strong of Arizona State. Decker in my honest opinion is a combo of Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey, what the Broncos need is either for Thomas to become a complete number one or to be willing to extend his contract this off-season but for more among the lines of what a number two or slot receiver would be worth.