PDA

View Full Version : Orton must star in glove story

Lonestar
09-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/10/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 09/10/2009 01:20:17 AM MDT

Bob Marley might have sung: "One glove . . . one heart, Kyle gets it together and plays all right."

On Sunday in Cincinnati, Kyle Orton could become the first man wearing one glove to perform at a football game since the 1993 Super Bowl halftime show.

The Broncos' Gloved One said publicly Wednesday that he intends to be "ready to go" and is "preparing that I'm going to play" in the season opener against the Bengals. Ain't no badfinger keeping him down and out.

The collective sigh of relief by Broncos fans produced Chinook winds along the Front Range. No perceived No. 1 quarterback has missed the Broncos' first game with an injury.

Kyle's got style.

But, in his regular-season coming-out party, coach Josh McDaniels will have to choose between a quarterback with an upper extremity injury and another with a lower extremity injury. The third quarterback is not under consideration for the starting job despite being extremity uninjured.

We know that Orton will start, but we do not know if he will finish. We also do not know if Knowshon Moreno, who is recovering from a knee (we think) injury, will play a little or a lot, and we do not know if Brandon Marshall, who has been suffering with foot-in-mouth disease, will play a little or a lot. We do not know if the Broncos will play well or ill.

So we must watch.

"Everybody wants to play opening day, obviously, and I'm no different. I want to get out and compete and do everything I can do to help this team win," Orton said before practice Wednesday.

He is uncertain about the glove on his right hand, which is understandable given the significance of one glove in history and in sports.

Willie Mays' glove was where triples went to die. Bill Buckner's glove was why the Red Sox's hopes for a world championship in 1986 died.

Spartan ruler Leotychides was discovered with a glove full of silver after he took a bribe. Dr. Strangelove wore one black glove to keep his right hand from choking his neck.

Tommie Smith and John Carlos split a pair of gloves and raised them in the 1968 Olympics and were discredited and venerated for the Black Power salute.

Robin Hood was hated by the rich, loved by the poor when he had one glove on the bow. Some bowlers score a perfect 300 wearing one glove, and some doctors are despised when they don one glove.

Michael Jackson was the One-Glove Wonder and sported a long, white, open-fingered glove at the Super Bowl.

Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady have worn two gloves in cold-weather games, but I don't remember a Broncos quarterback ever wearing even one, especially in September, when the temperature in Cincinnati will be in the upper 70s.

Orton will have to be on his game with the dislocation in that location if the Broncos are to score enough points to win against the Bengals. He tied with Detroit Lions rookie starting quarterback Matthew Stafford for most interceptions in the exhibition games (four), completed 67.2 percent of his passes and threw for one touchdown — and left late in the second quarter of the Chicago game with a bloody index finger and an overall 61.5 QB rating.

Will Orton be a smart, efficient, mistake-free quarterback in the opening game? Or will Orton be an immobile, dink-and-dip, pick-prone quarterback against the Bengals?

A strong defense and a solid running game will be more vital to Orton than a glove. And Marshall's hands could be most essential.

The wide receiver already was the happiest man in Denver because the Broncos struggled offensively without him, which could help him get a new contract. If he does, he can be happy and wealthy and show McDaniels and Orton who's the real boss.

McDaniels promised to unveil offensive ideas never seen before in the NFL. The four- wide receiver sets, the shotgun formations and the 4-yard passes in the exhibition games were not novel, so it must be hoped that he switches from French vanilla to Neapolitan.

But, then, Orton is limited in passing range and force, and he does have a bum business finger that could affect his grip and his strength and the snaps from center, and how McDaniels attacks Cincy.

The Bengals may not be great, but they sure were entertaining on HBO's "Hard Knocks" series on the team's training camp.

The attention Sunday, though, will be on Orton and the Broncos. Can they go hand and glove together?

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13304014?source=rss

Lonestar
09-10-2009, 09:43 AM
QB appears ready for opener
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/10/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 09/10/2009 01:01:05 AM MDT

Denver Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton wore a glove to protect an injured finger during practice on Sept. 8, 2009.

Kyle Orton isn't ready to let a little pain — or even a lot — in his index finger keep him out of the Broncos' season opener Sunday at Cincinnati.

Orton still has stitches on the inside of the finger on his right hand, but he said he is able to throw, catch snaps and hand off the football through the discomfort.

"It doesn't feel great," said Orton, awaiting his first regular-season start as Denver's quarterback. "Doesn't feel ideal, but that's football, and everyone has to deal with a little bit of pain."

The decision on whether it will be Orton or Chris Simms who lines up against the Bengals is up to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels.

"I have to be the best guy for it. If I'm not ready, I can't hold the team back, obviously," Orton said.

But Orton on Wednesday appeared ready to be the starter in spite of the injured finger. Orton dislocated the knuckle on the index finger when he smacked hands with a Chicago pass rusher in an Aug. 30 preseason game.

Orton spoke with reporters before practice and said he didn't think there was a "huge issue" with his ball-handling ability in Tuesday's practice. He then took the first repetitions in the portion of the practice that was open to the media Wednesday afternoon.

Orton again wore a glove on his right hand in Wednesday's practice and will consider wearing it in the game. Orton said he has never played with a glove, even during the brutally cold Chicago winters when he was with the Bears.

The glove provides an extra layer of protection between his stitched-up wound — the result of the severe dislocation that punctured the skin — and helps improve his grip. The problem, Orton said, is that sometimes the glove makes the grip on the ball too sticky, which hinders the ability to release the ball quickly.

"If I can play without it, that would be great," Orton said. "If I have to go with it, no big deal."

Orton said he considers

Denver Broncos QB Kyle Orton laughs during practice Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at Dove Valley. (THE DENVER POST | JOHN LEYBA)himself lucky even to be practicing now, only 10 days removed from the painful, bloody dislocation, captured by NBC's high-definition cameras.

"I think we got lucky it wasn't more than it was," Orton said. "To have a chance to play this weekend is great."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13303918?source=rss

claymore
09-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Believe it is possible to solve your problem. Tremendous things happen to the believer. So believe the answer will come. It will.

honz
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
If Orton starts every game for us this year...

:championship:

MasterShake
09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Believe it is possible to solve your problem. Tremendous things happen to the believer. So believe the answer will come. It will.

All right, Yoda.

Simple Jaded
09-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah but, what I believe about Kyle Orton isn't good, would it be enough to just try and believe in what Josh McDaniels supposedly can do with stiffs like Orton?.......

camdisco24
09-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Maybe the glove is what he needed all along...

Superchop 7
09-10-2009, 06:36 PM
With his arm strength, if it slows down anymore because of the injury, they won't need slo-mo to capture the action.

LRtagger
09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey if a glove can help get an NFL running back aquitted from murder, then surely it can help Kyle Orton win a season opener.

LRtagger
09-10-2009, 07:11 PM

You forgot to switch over to the Asian Sushi account :facepalm:

scott.475
09-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I am dumber for having read that article...like, a lot dumber. What an incredible waste of print space, bandwidth, newsprint, and any other resource that may have been used to disseminate that worthless piece. A truly, truly stupid piece of writing. Did an 8 year old get hold of Paige's computer? Or was it more like "Oh crap, my deadline is in 15 minutes, I haven't started my article yet, I just woke up with a toothless hooker and an earth shattering hangover. What am I going to write about?"

ursamajor
09-11-2009, 05:48 AM
You forgot to switch over to the Asian Sushi account :facepalm:Zing!