PDA

View Full Version : Derek Wolfe does not make trip to KC

UnderArmour
11-29-2013, 08:53 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/406589096631349248

Derek Wolfe did not make trip to KC
Given surprise nature of Wolfe's inactive status, I opted to post a new thread. Gotta wonder what illness he is dealing with to be listed as questionable earlier today and then not make the trip and I certainly hope he gets well soon. Jackson, Ayers, and Phillips ought to be able to fill in for him but I don't like how this comes on the heels of us losing Vickerson on the interior too.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Another week. Another defensive starter who may be down for the Broncos.

Some time between the Broncos' practice Friday and when the team departed at mid-afternoon for its trip to Kansas City, starting defensive lineman Derek Wolfe fell ill.

Wolfe was fine in the locker room at 1:30 p.m. and the team departed by bus for the airport at 2:30 p.m.

AND

If Wolfe cannot make the trip to Kansas City, the Broncos would likely downgrade his playing status by 2 p.m. Saturday.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24626734/derek-wolfe-broncos-falls-ill-may-miss-kansas

smith49
11-29-2013, 09:41 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/406589096631349248

Derek Wolfe did not make trip to KC
Given surprise nature of Wolfe's inactive status, I opted to post a new thread. Gotta wonder what illness he is dealing with to be listed as questionable earlier today and then not make the trip and I certainly hope he gets well soon. Jackson, Ayers, and Phillips ought to be able to fill in for him but I don't like how this comes on the heels of us losing Vickerson on the interior too.

Maybe he gets feeling better tonight or tomorrow and makes the trip out in time to play!!?? Unless it's something really serious.

Dzone
11-29-2013, 09:49 PM
I just get this message in my email...adversity...seems to inspire this team..someone will step up and be a star

UnderArmour
11-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Maybe he gets feeling better tonight or tomorrow and makes the trip out in time to play!!?? Unless it's something really serious.

Rotoworld has it listed as him being OUT based on the report by Klis, but after reading the DP article it is certainly a possibility that the team sends a private jet to bring him in before Sunday's late game. Considering the implications of tomorrow's game and the official questionable label by the team, it is certainly a possibility that Bowlen makes the accommodations to get him to Arrowhead if he might be good to go.

Dzone
11-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Teams should monitor every bite of food those players eat. No junk food, no alcohol, etc...People do that when they invest a few million in race horses, football players are no different, theyre investments....they shouldnt be getting sick, they get paid too much..maybe wolfe needs to go paleo lol
Ps get well Wolfe

Denver Native (Carol)
11-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Rotoworld has it listed as him being OUT based on the report by Klis, but after reading the DP article it is certainly a possibility that the team sends a private jet to bring him in tomorrow morning for a late game. Considering the implications of tomorrow's game and the official questionable label by the team, it is certainly a possibility that Bowlen makes the accommodations to get him to Arrowhead if he might be good to go.

Hey UA - you need a new calendar - LOL The game is Sunday, not Saturday

Dzone
11-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Maybe he caught the 24 hour bug and will be just fine by Sunday...ya, probably so

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-30-2013, 02:09 AM
Robert Ayers will take names in this game.

Timmy!
11-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Lol@having him back on Sunday. Yay......no. won't happen. Brutal flu can make the most badass of us into little bitches. If happens. Wolfe will be back for next week, Broncos just need to make sure he comes back to a 1st place team

Joel
11-30-2013, 09:09 AM
Teams should monitor every bite of food those players eat. No junk food, no alcohol, etc...People do that when they invest a few million in race horses, football players are no different, theyre investments....they shouldnt be getting sick, they get paid too much..maybe wolfe needs to go paleo lol
Ps get well Wolfe
This is a joke, right? They're people, not animals; the team can't tell them what to eat and what to not eat, though it can certainly cut them if they come on the field as sickly tubs o' lard.

I hope he's OK, and hope we can handle the Chiefs in a road game that's always tough for us. Ayers is good against the run, but I'm unsure he can take advantage of passing doubleteams on Miller like Wolfe can. Tomorrow's kind of scary now; not only are we missing Big Vick against Charles, and not only would KC take the division lead with a win, but even if they stumbled against SD/Indy and we pull it out, NE would get playoff homefield unless THEY lose a game (unlikely now; their remaining schedule is mostly crap.) This is an ill timed illness. :(

Ravage!!!
11-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Ps get well Wolfe

You do realize that viruses generally aren't passed around through food, right? 'Cause, I'm not sure how monitoring their food has anything to do with them getting sick.

Dapper Dan
11-30-2013, 11:49 AM
You do realize that viruses generally aren't passed around through food, right? 'Cause, I'm not sure how monitoring their food has anything to do with them getting sick.

You mean it's not sexually transmitted?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Lets hope a bunch of other players don't get sick after being around Wolfe.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe has been ruled out of Sunday's game at Kansas City because of an illness.

Wolfe is being treated at a Denver hospital after becoming ill on the team's bus to Denver International Airport on Friday. He was taken by ambulance to a local hospital after becoming sick and is being evaluated to determine the cause of his symptoms.

Wolfe, who's started each of the Broncos' 11 games this season, plays defensive end in their base defense and tackle in their passing packages.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24629496/broncos-derek-wolfe-ruled-out-kansas-city-game

Hawgdriver
11-30-2013, 02:34 PM
I hope this is not related to his preseason cervical injury. That's crazy talk, right?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2013, 05:11 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe continued to be evaluated at a Denver hospital Saturday with what team officials called a "battery of tests'' to find out what made Wolfe sick on the team's bus ride Friday afternoon from its complex in south suburban Denver to the airport.

Wolfe was treated by the team's medical staff and then transported by ambulance from the airport to a hospital where he remained Saturday. Wolfe was officially ruled out of Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The team went through its usual schedule of meetings Saturday, but several people described the incident as scary.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10056821/derek-wolfe-denver-broncos-ruled-sunday-kansas-city-chiefs

Joel
11-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Not good; two of our best run stoppers (and one of our better blitzers) against Jamaal Charles and an Alex Smith who suddenly wants to go deep against our battered secondary. Offense gotta bounce back, protect Manning as well as the last two weeks and open holes like they did against NE (NOT the way they failed to do against KC.) And hold onto the freakin' BALL, for once.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-30-2013, 05:37 PM
I hope this is not related to his preseason cervical injury. That's crazy talk, right?

That's actually what I'm concerned about. I hope that's not it, but damage tot the nervous system can be scary.

SR
11-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Not good; two of our best run stoppers (and one of our better blitzers) against Jamaal Charles and an Alex Smith who suddenly wants to go deep against our battered secondary. Offense gotta bounce back, protect Manning as well as the last two weeks and open holes like they did against NE (NOT the way they failed to do against KC.) And hold onto the freakin' BALL, for once.

Sly looked very good in his 37 snaps played last week. Took him a few to get in to it but once he did he was very solid. He and Pot Roast with Unrein and whoever else subbing in should be fine. Ayers is also at his best against the run. I don't feel like Charles is going to have that spectacular of a game especially if Denver gets up early and forces Smith to throw (as is the case with taking the run away every week).

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2013, 05:53 PM
That's actually what I'm concerned about. I hope that's not it, but damage tot the nervous system can be scary.

I was not too concerned, and thought possible flu or food poisoning until I read/posted Legwold's espn article, where he said that several described the incident as scary.

Hawgdriver
11-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Wishing Derek a speedy recovery and many more howls at the moon.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-30-2013, 06:02 PM
I was not too concerned, and thought possible flu or food poisoning until I read/posted Legwold's espn article, where he said that several described the incident as scary.

Let's hope he's ok.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1m

What a rough year this has been already for Derek Wolfe. He's been through two very scary health situations.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 4m

Wolfe remains hospitalized, but he is recovering. Alert, awake, talking etc.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 5m

From what I understand, Wolfe did not have a seizure - but had similar symptoms. Underwent tests Friday night + throughout Saturday.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 18m

Broncos update statement on Derek Wolfe. Team says Wolfe experienced seizure-like symptoms. He is recovering & being monitored by doctors.

SR
11-30-2013, 07:02 PM
One has to wonder if this is somehow linked to his cervical spine injury in preseason.

Hawgdriver
11-30-2013, 07:11 PM
One has to wonder if this is somehow linked to his cervical spine injury in preseason.

I googled PTSD seizures.

Seizures caused by a delayed response to a very stressful event or situation, for example, being in a war or a disaster, are a response to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) - a condition that sometimes happens after a traumatic event. During the seizure the person may cry, scream or have flashbacks (sudden, vivid memories of the event). They may not remember the seizures afterwards.

http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/non-epileptic-seizures#.Upp-I8TRio8

SR
11-30-2013, 07:14 PM
I googled PTSD seizures. http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/non-epileptic-seizures#.Upp-I8TRio8

Am I understanding you correctly? It's your stance that Wolfe had these seizure-like symptoms because of supposed PTSD from his cervical spine injury?

Hawgdriver
11-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Am I understanding you correctly? It's your stance that Wolfe had these seizure-like symptoms because of supposed PTSD from his cervical spine injury?

Just speculating. Putting 2 and 2 together.

From what I understand, Wolfe did not have a seizure - but had similar symptoms.

Seizures caused by a delayed response to a very stressful event or situation, for example, being in a war or a disaster, are a response to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

At the time Wolfe was injured in the preseason, I had just watched the 30 for 30 about Clint Malarchuk, the hockey player who had a severed jugular on the ice, but lived with undiagnosed PTSD symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-30-2013, 07:40 PM

I would think the doctors will take a long look at that.

SR
11-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Just speculating. Putting 2 and 2 together. At the time Wolfe was injured in the preseason, I had just watched the 30 for 30 about Clint Malarchuk, the hockey player who had a severed jugular on the ice, but lived with undiagnosed PTSD symptoms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk

Watching the jugular clip makes me sick

Hawgdriver
11-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Watching the jugular clip makes me sick

You aren't alone.

Many spectators were physically sickened by the sight.[4] Eleven fans fainted, two more suffered heart attacks and three players vomited on the ice.[5]

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Susie Wargin ‏@SusieWargin 1h

Been told Wolfe is doing well at hospital, has been through battery of tests & this is not related to head/neck injury earlier in year.

Hawgdriver
11-30-2013, 07:54 PM
I am worried about getting carried away with all the PTSD talk and comparisons to Clint Malarchuk. Derek's neck injury seemed bad at the time, but it might not be as bad as I'm making it out to be.

I guess we'll know more soon.

Hawgdriver
11-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Didn't think it would be that soon.

Dzone
11-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Just speculating. Putting 2 and 2 together.

At the time Wolfe was injured in the preseason, I had just watched the 30 for 30 about Clint Malarchuk, the hockey player who had a severed jugular on the ice, but lived with undiagnosed PTSD symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk
Wow, Ive watched that. It was very disturbing. Then he shot himself in the head and survived. He seemed very ocd even before he got his neck sliced in that game. He was an unusual dude.

SR
11-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Wow, Ive watched that. It was very disturbing. Then he shot himself in the head and survived. He seemed very ocd even before he got his neck sliced in that game. He was an unusual dude.

Most goalies are pretty unusual dudes ;)

Dzone
11-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Wolfe had seizure like symptoms? Oh man. Thats serious. I thought he had the flu

Joel
11-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Sly looked very good in his 37 snaps played last week. Took him a few to get in to it but once he did he was very solid. He and Pot Roast with Unrein and whoever else subbing in should be fine. Ayers is also at his best against the run. I don't feel like Charles is going to have that spectacular of a game especially if Denver gets up early and forces Smith to throw (as is the case with taking the run away every week).
That's what I'm hoping, but I can't go by the NE game when they benched Ridley early and had to pass a lot to overcome a 24 pt halftime deficit. Bolden had a decent 4.5 average, but they only ran it 23 times to 50 passes, so stopping their few attempts is good, but not convincing in itself. Charles and CJ2K back-to-back; that'll be a real test I hope we pass. I'm confident in Ayers, and in Jackson spelling him and Phillips outside (maybe he takes control like on that Jacksonville drive,) but just haven't seen enough of Williams to be certain either way.

Gotta say, the pic on ESPNs NFL home page was made to make KC look good: Smith's fired up in the shot of him (presumably from last weeks game) but the shot of Manning in his cold weather gear has that "I'd rather be anywhere else" narrow-eyed pursed-lip look, all the more depressing since he was cocking to throw at the time: http://espn.go.com/nfl/

I never thought I'd see the day when I looked FORWARD to a two game road trip at seasons end, but that's pretty much where I've been since the bye. At this point Manning probably wouldn't mind a few soft opponents in warm weather either, though we obviously can't afford to coast through any game, even against Houston and Chokeland.

Not that much of that has anything to do with Wolfe, but at this point all I can do is hope and pray for his full speedy recovery and trust the doctors to know their jobs.

DenBronx
11-30-2013, 08:56 PM
If Derek had seizure like symptoms then those of you who thought he could just hop on a plane can forget about it.

Time for Sly Williams to step up. We didn't invest a 1st round pick on this guy just to have him sit on the bench.

SR
11-30-2013, 09:00 PM
If Derek had seizure like symptoms then those of you who thought he could just hop on a plane can forget about it. Time for Sly Williams to step up. We didn't invest a 1st round pick on this guy just to have him sit on the bench.

Obviously no one knew he has seizure like symptoms when they said that.

And Joel, I don't have the attention span to read that post reply.

Shazam!
11-30-2013, 09:00 PM
After his other incident, if they can't clarify what it is and really pinpoint it, don't be surprised if he pulls a Moffitt and retires for health reasons.

SR
11-30-2013, 09:04 PM
After his other incident, if they can't clarify what it is and really pinpoint it, don't be surprised if he pulls a Moffitt and retires for health reasons.

Muffin was a *****. Wolfe is not.

Shazam!
11-30-2013, 09:07 PM
after his other incident, if they can't clarify what it is and really pinpoint it, don't be surprised if he pulls a moffitt and retires for health reasons.

muffin was a *****. Wolfe is not.

muffin lmao!!!

SR
11-30-2013, 09:18 PM
muffin lmao!!! LMAO. Goddamn auto correct! Moffitt!

Joel
11-30-2013, 09:35 PM

Meh, you can skip everything after the first paragraph; like I say, that's the only part that had much to do with where Wolfe plays. The rest was off topic and invites replies I'm sick of, I just couldn't resist on seeing that pic plastered atop ESPNs NFL page. I'm not rooting for KC, but sure looks like THEY are. Then again: Founded by Rasmussen; hopefully they overrate KC by 4 pts. :tongue:

SR
11-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Meh, you can skip everything after the first paragraph; like I say, that's the only part that had much to do with where Wolfe plays. The rest was off topic and invites replies I'm sick of, I just couldn't resist on seeing that pic plastered atop ESPNs NFL page. I'm not rooting for KC, but sure looks like THEY are. Then again: Founded by Rasmussen; hopefully they overrate KC by 4 pts. :tongue:

ESPN hates the Broncos.

UnderArmour
11-30-2013, 09:49 PM

Try Twitter if your attention span isn't long enough to handle more than 140 characters.

That's what I'm hoping, but I can't go by the NE game when they benched Ridley early and had to pass a lot to overcome a 24 pt halftime deficit. Bolden had a decent 4.5 average, but they only ran it 23 times to 50 passes, so stopping their few attempts is good, but not convincing in itself. Charles and CJ2K back-to-back; that'll be a real test I hope we pass. I'm confident in Ayers, and in Jackson spelling him and Phillips outside (maybe he takes control like on that Jacksonville drive,) but just haven't seen enough of Williams to be certain either way.

Gotta say, the pic on ESPNs NFL home page was made to make KC look good: Smith's fired up in the shot of him (presumably from last weeks game) but the shot of Manning in his cold weather gear has that "I'd rather be anywhere else" narrow-eyed pursed-lip look, all the more depressing since he was cocking to throw at the time: http://espn.go.com/nfl/

I never thought I'd see the day when I looked FORWARD to a two game road trip at seasons end, but that's pretty much where I've been since the bye. At this point Manning probably wouldn't mind a few soft opponents in warm weather either, though we obviously can't afford to coast through any game, even against Houston and Chokeland.

Not that much of that has anything to do with Wolfe, but at this point all I can do is hope and pray for his full speedy recovery and trust the doctors to know their jobs.

Fox has a history of keeping rookies on the bench in favor of veteran players unless necessity dictates or the talent is too glaring. With defensive linemen, it's a little more difficult to step in immediately and make an impact. I'm hoping that Sylvester has enough under his belt to step in and play more like fellow rookies Sheldon Richardson and Star Lotulelei and not be overwhelmed. I think the size is there, the strength is there, and the talent is there. It's just a question of whether or not he has enough of a feel for the game to be a playmaker at the NFL level. While Sly has been part of our rotation this year at DT, he was also deactivated for a game and he wasn't able to beat out Knighton or Vickerson in camp.

It's entirely possible he's an upgrade, but just got buried behind veterans. Von Miller and a secondary that should have Bailey and Huff active should be enough to compensate for the loss of Wolfe.

SR
11-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Try Twitter if your attention span isn't long enough to handle more than 140 characters. Fox has a history of keeping rookies on the bench in favor of veteran players unless necessity dictates or the talent is too glaring. With defensive linemen, it's a little more difficult to step in immediately and make an impact. I'm hoping that Sylvester has enough under his belt to step in and play more like fellow rookies Sheldon Richardson and Star Lotulelei and not be overwhelmed. I think the size is there, the strength is there, and the talent is there. It's just a question of whether or not he has enough of a feel for the game to be a playmaker at the NFL level. While Sly has been part of our rotation this year at DT, he was also deactivated for a game and he wasn't able to beat out Knighton or Vickerson in camp. It's entirely possible he's an upgrade, but just got buried behind veterans. Von Miller and a secondary that should have Bailey and Huff active should be enough to compensate for the loss of Wolfe. I do use twitter, thank you very much.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Susie Wargin ‏@SusieWargin 1h

Been told Wolfe is doing well at hospital, has been through battery of tests & this is not related to head/neck injury earlier in year.

How can they rule out spinal trauma if they don't know what it is? Forgive me for being skeptical, but it sounds like a classic case of the league denying liability.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2013, 10:25 PM
from article:

It was determined that Wolfe didn't suffer a stroke or a full-blown seizure, but the Broncos didn't specify the exact cause of his symptoms, saying only that he was doing better Saturday evening and that he was alert and communicating with others

It's not known when Wolfe will be released from the hospital or when he'll be cleared to resume football.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10056821/derek-wolfe-denver-broncos-ruled-sunday-kansas-city-chiefs

Joel
11-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Try Twitter if your attention span isn't long enough to handle more than 140 characters.
I blame remote controls and the rise of cable TV; when I was a kid we only had three pay networks, PBS and a few independents, and GOT UP to change the channel. I had to walk uphill 20 miles in the snow to do it, too. ;) But Twitter... ugh, making the worst of a bad situation. :tsk:

Fox has a history of keeping rookies on the bench in favor of veteran players unless necessity dictates or the talent is too glaring. With defensive linemen, it's a little more difficult to step in immediately and make an impact. I'm hoping that Sylvester has enough under his belt to step in and play more like fellow rookies Sheldon Richardson and Star Lotulelei and not be overwhelmed. I think the size is there, the strength is there, and the talent is there. It's just a question of whether or not he has enough of a feel for the game to be a playmaker at the NFL level. While Sly has been part of our rotation this year at DT, he was also deactivated for a game and he wasn't able to beat out Knighton or Vickerson in camp.

It's entirely possible he's an upgrade, but just got buried behind veterans. Von Miller and a secondary that should have Bailey and Huff active should be enough to compensate for the loss of Wolfe.
Fair enough then; I'm hopeful, just not enthusiastic. We usually haven't asked our DTs to get too exotic or versatile in the Fox era, and that shouldn't change much against a team whose main weapon is their RB: Clog the middle, push the pocket, get to the ball carrier and wrap up; let the DEs and LBs worry about the QB and sidelines.

It's worth noting though a big reason why our two great Wills have been so effective starting at MIKE and Will is we had a beefy front four to tie up blockers; that may not remain true without Vickerson (and, at least for now, Wolfe.) Run D has been our strength this year, and Big Vick was a big part of that. I'm not saying Williams sucks, but as well as Vickerson and Knighton have played it's hard to believe he's a better player two defensive gurus just lost in the shuffle.

Army Bronco
11-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Tracy Porter had Seizure like symptoms last year. Good thing Harris stepped up cause Porter played one more game and was out with a concussion. But his seizure like symptoms kept him out for several weeks.

SR
11-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Tracy Porter had Seizure like symptoms last year. Good thing Harris stepped up cause Porter played one more game and was out with a concussion. But his seizure like symptoms kept him out for several weeks.

Porter also had a NASTY hit on a Dallas RB on Thursday because he went for his knees. He's also a piss poor tackler and I'm glad he's not a Bronco anymore.

Joel
12-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Porter also had a NASTY hit on a Dallas RB on Thursday because he went for his knees. He's also a piss poor tackler and I'm glad he's not a Bronco anymore.
Didn't see the game, but if it was on Dunbar, it ended his season; he's reportedly having surgery and going on IR, so Dallas is back in our boat: Only one good RB, with an injury history.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-01-2013, 03:09 PM
from article:

Wolfe underwent a battery of tests Friday and Saturday, the results of which ruled out more serious problems , and he should be fine, according to an NFL source.

Wolfe's condition appears to be an isolated incident and not related to any past injuries. He continues to be monitored by doctors in Denver.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24629496/broncos-derek-wolfe-ruled-out-kansas-city-game