PDA

View Full Version : MOST DEVASTATING LOSSES IN DENVER BRONCO HISTORY POWER WANKiNGS

sneakers
11-27-2013, 12:19 AM
1. 1996 AFC Divisional Playoff: Jacksonville 30, Denver 27.

POWER GAP

2. Super Bowl XXII: Washington 42, Denver 10
3. Super Bowl XXIV: San Francisco 55, Denver 10
4. 2012 AFC Divisional Playoff: Baltimore 38, Denver 35.
5. 2005 AFC Championship Game: Pittsburgh 34, Denver 17
6. Super Bowl XXI: New York 39, Denver 20
7. 1999 Regular Season Week 4: New York 21, Denver 13 (game TD tore up his knee)
8. Super Bowl XII: Dallas 27, Denver 10
9. 2010 Regular Season Week 7: Oakland 59, Denver 14
10. 1984 divisional playoff: Pittsburgh 24, Denver 17
27. 1973 season finale: Oakland 21, Denver 17
9001. 2013 Regular Season Week 12: New England 34, Denver 31

jhildebrand
11-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Too early to judge if you ask me. For all we know that NE loss could be the one that spurs a losing streak. One where Denver loses the #1 or #2 seed. And on and on. IMHO, you can't rank it until you have history on your side to accurately judge it. If the Broncos go on to win a SB this year, no one even 3 years from now will remember the NE loss. If the former happens, it becomes the same as the Jax loss in the minds of many.

Simple Jaded
11-27-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm no mathematician but I'm willing to bet this loss ranks a lot higher than 9001.

Lancane
11-27-2013, 12:42 AM
They blew a 24 point lead, eventually tied to go into overtime and then lost due to poor special teams play. Sorry, the coaches hold the bag, but this loss is much, much higher then 9001. Most Championship ready teams don't allow a comeback with a four score deficit, no matter what, and no matter what people say, New England was not in top form, there is no excuse for what happened and it's more Del Rio's fault then Welker's or Manning's, the Defenses' or anyone else. Conservative Football is a double edged sword that usually cuts the wielder as much as the foe.

jhildebrand
11-27-2013, 12:45 AM
^^This

/thread

MOtorboat
11-27-2013, 12:56 AM
I'd rank it fairly low, IMO...maybe not that low.

But I take issue with the Raiders game. Who gives a flying F. That season was done.

2009, starting week 14 at 8-4 and in the drivers seat for the division, losses to Indianapolis 28-16, Oakland 20-19, Philadelphia 30-27, Kansas City 44-20.
2008, starting week 15 at 8-5 and in the drivers seat for the division, losses to Carolina 30-10, Buffalo 30-23, San Diego 52-21.
2006, win and get in, San Francisco 26, Denver 23.

All eight were more heartwrenching than that stupid game with the Raiders. Hell I'd already checked out on the season there. I was just going through the motions, so its not like I'm going to get too mad at the team for being there too.

Simple Jaded
11-27-2013, 01:07 AM
I think I'd rank the SB losses higher than the Jagoff loss.

Magnificent Seven
11-27-2013, 01:45 AM
Dont forget this game. Packers vs Broncos game in 2007. Lost in OT. Hated this moment.

olathebroncofan
11-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Dont forget this game. Packers vs Broncos game in 2007. Lost in OT. Hated this moment.

Was this the game where Favre ended the game out in the first play in ot?

Fir some reason I vaguely recall a game I'm the snow against the dolphins that was a real let down. It was between 01 and 04 I think. Did anyone remember that game?

FanInAZ
11-27-2013, 02:25 AM
I defiantly agree that this loss should defiantly be higher on the list of most devastating losses. I’d say it should be no lower than our 394th most devastating loss.

:listen: We’ve only played 850 as a franchise :listen:

Our lifetime record is:

428-377-10 (Regular Season)
18-17 (Post-Season)
446-394-10 (Total)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

Dzone
11-27-2013, 02:29 AM
I would rank them on how shitty you felt the week after.

Magnificent Seven
11-27-2013, 02:35 AM
Was this the game where Favre ended the game out in the first play in ot?

Fir some reason I vaguely recall a game I'm the snow against the dolphins that was a real let down. It was between 01 and 04 I think. Did anyone remember that game?

You got it. I remember I was excited for a few minutes.... then Favre did it for 30 or 60 seconds. Game over. I was like this... WTF?! That's it?!

Northman
11-27-2013, 05:29 AM
You got it. I remember I was excited for a few minutes.... then Favre did it for 30 or 60 seconds. Game over. I was like this... WTF?! That's it?!

Dre Bly ftw....er i mean loss.

capt. Jack
11-27-2013, 06:18 AM
How about the game when LT from the chargers set all those records? It wasn't an all time worst, but it was ugly!

Dreadnought
11-27-2013, 06:37 AM

This one - 2003. Only game I ever broke a piece of furniture over

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200210130den.htm

Elam hits a 55 yarder with under a minute for the lead, Mare counters with a 53 yarder at the gun

On my own list of worsts was the final 1981 game v. the sorry ass Bears. We went in at 10-5, win and we win the division, lose and we go home because we lose all the tie breakers. The Bears blew, but Craig Morton, who had his best year in '81, was just back from an injury and was awful. He threw 2 pick sixes and we were done. I loved that 81 team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198112200chi.htm

sneakers
11-27-2013, 07:26 AM
This one - 2003. Only game I ever broke a piece of furniture over

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200210130den.htm

Elam hits a 55 yarder with under a minute for the lead, Mare counters with a 53 yarder at the gun

On my own list of worsts was the final 1981 game v. the sorry ass Bears. We went in at 10-5, win and we win the division, lose and we go home because we lose all the tie breakers. The Bears blew, but Craig Morton, who had his best year in '81, was just back from an injury and was awful. He threw 2 pick sixes and we were done. I loved that 81 team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198112200chi.htm

Yeah I remember that dolphins game. I knew exactly where I was and my reaction to both field goals

sneakers
11-27-2013, 07:28 AM
I defiantly agree that this loss should defiantly be higher on the list of most devastating losses. I’d say it should be no lower than our 394th most devastating loss.

:listen: We’ve only played 850 as a franchise :listen:

Our lifetime record is:

428-377-10 (Regular Season)
18-17 (Post-Season)
446-394-10 (Total)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

http://i.imgur.com/ZjNdf3Z.jpg

Northman
11-27-2013, 08:25 AM
How about the game when LT from the chargers set all those records? It wasn't an all time worst, but it was ugly!

I dont know, i was more embarrassed when Corey Dillion set the single rushing record against us.

Dreadnought
11-27-2013, 08:28 AM
I dont know, i was more embarrassed when Corey Dillion set the single rushing record against us.

Losing to Akili Smith = Bad

capt. Jack
11-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Losing to Akili Smith = Bad

I remember that, it was ugly!

DenBronx
11-27-2013, 08:44 AM
We have had some rather crappy losses.

59-14 to Oakland is inexcusable.

The loss to Balt sucked worse than this recent loss to NE. This season isnt over yet...we can still beat NE in the playoffs...which will erase this loss from my memory.

EastCoastBronco
11-27-2013, 08:54 AM
The Jacksonville playoff loss will always be the worst for me.
With hindsight it hurts even more as we all realized what a special group of players we had then.
After 4-5 final reg season games that meant nothing they just got caught sleeping that day.
There was a legitmate shot at winning 3 SB' in a row if we had won that game.

claymore
11-27-2013, 09:37 AM
After watching this game I think:

1. We are not a SB team. Just a fun regular season team. We dont have the toughnes, or discipline to get to the next level.
Or
2. We are so smart coaching wise, that we presented the worst game plan possible so we dont show NE anything but game film until the inevitable playoff game.

Im fine with either one of those. After McDaniels, I will just enjoy a winning season without drama. I do not expect a SB.

Northman
11-27-2013, 09:47 AM
We have had some rather crappy losses.

59-14 to Oakland is inexcusable.

The loss to Balt sucked worse than this recent loss to NE. This season isnt over yet...we can still beat NE in the playoffs...which will erase this loss from my memory.

How bout that wonderful 41-3 thumping the Chargeless gave us at home? God, that was disgusting.

Northman
11-27-2013, 09:50 AM
I will just enjoy a winning season without drama. I do not expect a SB.

Maybe thats the attitude to have but i dont know, winning a championship is a awesome feeling. Just winning in the regular season is fine but then you have to question why Shanahan was let go at all. At some point you have to at the very least make to the big game. I can handle losing in the SB but to not even get back to the game after so long just really sucks. If Plummer has anything, its that at least he got within one game of it. Since then we havent even gotten that close.

Dreadnought
11-27-2013, 09:56 AM
After watching this game I think:

1. We are not a SB team. Just a fun regular season team. We dont have the toughnes, or discipline to get to the next level.
Or
2. We are so smart coaching wise, that we presented the worst game plan possible so we dont show NE anything but game film until the inevitable playoff game.

Im fine with either one of those. After McDaniels, I will just enjoy a winning season without drama. I do not expect a SB.

Totally agreed. I know this is Heresy, but for me the goal of an NFL season is for my team to win as many games as possible. Period. Playoff wins are gravy, and especially good (double bonus points for knocking out a team I hate, e.g. the Steelers), but I think the idea that any season that doesn't end in a SB trophy is a failure is totally bogus.

Any time we win the AFC West is a good season. I'd like more obviously, but I'm not going to jump off of a bridge even after bad playoff disappointments like 96 Jagwads and 2012 Ratbirds. By "bad playoff disappointments" I mean when we have a legit team that underperforms, not when we send out guys like Roc Alexander to try to stop Peyton Manning's Colts, or the 2011 Broncos to beat the Pats - or even sending out a stiff like Jake Plummer to try to beat Pittsburgh

claymore
11-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Maybe thats the attitude to have but i dont know, winning a championship is a awesome feeling. Just winning in the regular season is fine but then you have to question why Shanahan was let go at all. At some point you have to at the very least make to the big game. I can handle losing in the SB but to not even get back to the game after so long just really sucks. If Plummer has anything, its that at least he got within one game of it. Since then we havent even gotten that close.Ive gained some Plummer respect after his comments on our receivers. But, the AFCCG was a farce. I felt the same about that team as I do this one. We are good, but not that good. I think the 05 team overachieved.

Totally agreed. I know this is Heresy, but for me the goal of an NFL season is for my team to win as many games as possible. Period. Playoff wins are gravy, and especially good (double bonus points for knocking out a team I hate, e.g. the Steelers), but I think the idea that any season that doesn't end in a SB trophy is a failure is totally bogus.

Any time we win the AFC West is a good season. I'd like more obviously, but I'm not going to jump off of a bridge even after bad playoff disappointments like 96 Jagwads and 2012 Ratbirds. By "bad playoff disappointments" I mean when we have a legit team that underperforms, not when we send out guys like Roc Alexander to try to stop Peyton Manning's Colts, or the 2011 Broncos to beat the Pats - or even sending out a stiff like Jake Plummer to try to beat PittsburghThere is an undeniable pattern of Manning losing important games. He is GREAT when it doesnt count. I will take our regular season blowouts of lesser teams and be happy. But, I know that he cannot cover up our deficiencies when it counts.

capt. Jack
11-27-2013, 11:01 AM
It's not that we lost to the Patriots, its how we lost! We should have blown them out, and made a statement! Now we still have to prove ourselves, which could be a good thing! At some point we can go on a winning streak and win it all.

tripp
11-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Still the most gut wrenching loss was last year's loss to Baltimore. It had to be. I don't think there was a loss in the past decade as devastating as that. WE HAD THAT GAME IN OUR GRASPS. :shocked:

Slick
11-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Ive gained some Plummer respect after his comments on our receivers. But, the AFCCG was a farce. I felt the same about that team as I do this one. We are good, but not that good. I think the 05 team overachieved.
There is an undeniable pattern of Manning losing important games. He is GREAT when it doesnt count. I will take our regular season blowouts of lesser teams and be happy. But, I know that he cannot cover up our deficiencies when it counts.

His body language and facial expressions when things aren't going his way.

claymore
11-27-2013, 11:16 AM

He looked like shit that night. Maybe he had the flu?? Cause he played like he had the ebola virus!

EastCoastBronco
11-27-2013, 11:17 AM

Tom Lady's no different.
That tirade he went on to the ref after the "no call" the other night was a thing of beauty.
Had to burn a timeout just to get his panties straightened out...;-)

OrangeHoof
11-27-2013, 11:21 AM
2006, win and get in, San Francisco 26, Denver 23.

...and your starting cornerback gets killed that night. Rarely have I felt worse than that.

VonDoom
11-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Still the most gut wrenching loss was last year's loss to Baltimore. It had to be. I don't think there was a loss in the past decade as devastating as that. WE HAD THAT GAME IN OUR GRASPS. :shocked:

Someone mentioned historical context before, and that's where I am when it comes to bad losses. That Jacksonville game would be my number one ... except we won back to back Super Bowls the next two years. Unless we win this year, that Ravens loss will certainly sting more. It's currently number one on my worst list.

Slick
11-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Tom Lady's no different.
That tirade he went on to the ref after the "no call" the other night was a thing of beauty.
Had to burn a timeout just to get his panties straightened out...;-)

Sure, but what does that have to do with our guy?

OrangeHoof
11-27-2013, 11:23 AM
I won't argue about the rankings but I'll throw in the AFCCG loss at Buffalo in the cold where Elway threw the Pick Six to Marvcus Patton that basically won it for the Bills. We didn't score a touchdown until Kubiak came on in relief.

EastCoastBronco
11-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Sure, but what does that have to do with our guy?
Not a freaking thing.
I just hate Tom Brady...:mad:

Northman
11-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I won't argue about the rankings but I'll throw in the AFCCG loss at Buffalo in the cold where Elway threw the Pick Six to Marvcus Patton that basically won it for the Bills. We didn't score a touchdown until Kubiak came on in relief.

Was that the 17-3 game or something to that effect? I vaguely recall that one but remember having a close game and then i think Bruce Smith forced John to fumble and it gave the Bills a 10-3 lead or soemthing. But my memory on that is a bit fuzzy.

weazel
11-27-2013, 01:13 PM
I think September 10, 2001 was a bad night as well. A pathetic excuse for a quarterback named greeeeeiseee destroyed the career of a fan favorite WR Ed McCaffrey. Everyone forgets about that injury because of what happened the next morning.

Buff
11-27-2013, 01:17 PM
That 2007 loss to the Bears after Todd Sauerbrun ran his mouth stung pretty bad because of how we managed to collapse late in the game... I got a tongue lashing from my then-GF about taking football too seriously, which added to the sting.

Northman
11-27-2013, 01:36 PM
That 2007 loss to the Bears after Todd Sauerbrun ran his mouth stung pretty bad because of how we managed to collapse late in the game... I got a tongue lashing from my then-GF about taking football too seriously, which added to the sting.

Is that why she is an Ex now? lol

Buff
11-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Is that why she is an Ex now? lol

Yeah, she wasn't wife material with that kind of attitude.

CoachChaz
11-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Why do people have such a tendency to blame the injuries of their favorite players on the actions of players they dislike? Always intrigued me

Broncolingus
11-27-2013, 02:07 PM
I agree 1996 was the most 'heart wrenching'...in that context anyway.

Only because I think team was competitive for a Super Bowl title that year too.

...and while it royally sucked, I wasn't that surprised that Denver blew the game in NE the other night.

OrangeHoof
11-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Part of the sting and heartbreak of some losses is that you can't watch them win again until next fall. Lose a game in the first three months and you can always bounce back but if you lose in late December or January, that has to stick there for 7-8 months.

Slick
11-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Part of the sting and heartbreak of some losses is that you can't watch them win again until next fall. Lose a game in the first three months and you can always bounce back but if you lose in late December or January, that has to stick there for 7-8 months.

I used to care way too much. After some self introspection, I have mellowed. The highs aren't as high but the lows aren't as low.

Shazam!
11-27-2013, 08:54 PM
1993 Season - Losing all our games to the then-LA Raiders, getting pasted by them 42-27 was rough. Very hard losing 3 straight to one opponent in the same season, but Wade Phillips found a way.

I think the SF Super Bowl should be No 2.

I don't think anything from 99 should even be considered devastating either. I expected nothing from the Elwayless Broncos. It cut TDs career short butbthat woulda probably been the case anyway with the workload he was given.

Captain Speardog
11-28-2013, 12:21 AM
1. 1996 AFC Divisional Playoff: Jacksonville 30, Denver 27.

POWER GAP

2. Super Bowl XXII: Washington 42, Denver 10
3. Super Bowl XXIV: San Francisco 55, Denver 10
4. 2012 AFC Divisional Playoff: Baltimore 38, Denver 35.
5. 2005 AFC Championship Game: Pittsburgh 34, Denver 17
6. Super Bowl XXI: New York 39, Denver 20
7. 1999 Regular Season Week 4: New York 21, Denver 13 (game TD tore up his knee)
8. Super Bowl XII: Dallas 27, Denver 10
9. 2010 Regular Season Week 7: Oakland 59, Denver 14
10. 1984 divisional playoff: Pittsburgh 24, Denver 17
27. 1973 season finale: Oakland 21, Denver 17
9001. 2013 Regular Season Week 12: New England 34, Denver 31

Tremendous post! Although I would rank the 1984 Den/Steeler game much higher since I was a 14 year-old and my best friend was a Steeler fan!!

weazel
11-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Why do people have such a tendency to blame the injuries of their favorite players on the actions of players they dislike? Always intrigued me

because Greise's inaccurate throw was the direct cause of that injury. The problem is that his throws were most always inaccurate, he shouldnt have been an NFL QB and it cost McCaffrey. I'm not saying that all injuries are a direct result of another player in one play but that one was.

Dzone
11-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Any loss that ends the season is awful...Makes me think my life is out of balance to let a football game make me feel so bad lol