PDA

View Full Version : I so enjoyed that game, but not the outcome.

Hawgdriver
11-26-2013, 05:15 AM
Let's kill the pessimism already. There's not a fat enough Sharpie in the world to redact the crap online I have to read right now.

That was a damn good game of football. Ended the wrong way, but I like it when a good team fights hard and wins. Props to NE. That is a damn good team to make the Broncos look human. First team to do it.

This is going to be a great December. I hope these teams meet again after that.

GO BRONCOS!!

Northman
11-26-2013, 05:21 AM
Unfortunately i can never enjoy a Broncos loss even if the game is a nailbiter. Im just not built that way. lol

Hawgdriver
11-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Enjoy might not be the best word. More like appreciate or something. Yeah, it does suck to lose lol.

OrangeHoof
11-26-2013, 07:21 AM
I remember last year's game in San Diego when we roared back from a big deficit and beat the Chargers on the road. After some early disasters, some even called it a turning point to our season - the night the new Manning-Broncos offense finally started to click.

So, no, I didn't enjoy blowing a 24-point lead and would have been upset with that even if we had won in overtime. What made it even worse was that this could decide where the AFC Championship Game is played and weird shit happens at that stadium, just like it used to do at the old Mile High. They have some sort of voodoo there and I don't want to go back there for a big game any more than opponents liked coming to the old Mile High.

For about three years now, we keep hearing about how shitty the Patriots defense is and how there should be no way a playoff team can win with a defense that bad and yet there they are year after year. Makes me sick. They made our running game look all-world yet we still lost. I don't blame the coaches at all for running so much and throwing so little because it was working. Unfortunately, ball security killed us just like it killed them in the first half.

I'm not down on the team though. I expect them to bounce back but now I am concerned about games in bad weather, particularly on the road.

MasterShake
11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
I remember last year's game in San Diego when we roared back from a big deficit and beat the Chargers on the road. After some early disasters, some even called it a turning point to our season - the night the new Manning-Broncos offense finally started to click.

So, no, I didn't enjoy blowing a 24-point lead and would have been upset with that even if we had won in overtime. What made it even worse was that this could decide where the AFC Championship Game is played and weird shit happens at that stadium, just like it used to do at the old Mile High. They have some sort of voodoo there and I don't want to go back there for a big game any more than opponents liked coming to the old Mile High.

For about three years now, we keep hearing about how shitty the Patriots defense is and how there should be no way a playoff team can win with a defense that bad and yet there they are year after year. Makes me sick. They made our running game look all-world yet we still lost. I don't blame the coaches at all for running so much and throwing so little because it was working. Unfortunately, ball security killed us just like it killed them in the first half.

I'm not down on the team though. I expect them to bounce back but now I am concerned about games in bad weather, particularly on the road.

A few days removed and with some perspective from non-Bronco fan friends and co-workers, all of them agree that it was a good game but the flukes of it was what made it special. As miraculous as our first quarter was, the Pats had an equally good 3rd quarter but those were both based off of turnovers that were nearly one after another. You will not see something like that again in New England or Denver in a rematch (probably). Aside from those I think each QB had only a couple good drives that weren't based off a turnover and otherwise played each other to what should have been a tie. The one deciding factor was another low percentage mistake that could have bounced either way. Still a lot better than getting blown out, and all of the things that led to us losing are imminently fixable.

All that said, I am still gonna stew on the loss a bit this week and Sunday cannot get here soon enough. My resident Chiefs fan at work has already seemed to forgotten how Rivers took them to the woodshed and keeps giving me shit about Sunday night. I've learned in my time as a NFL fan that when other fans really focus on your team it either means they respect them, fear them, or both. Personally as this guy keeps talking crap and it makes me think he is scared out of his mind. :lol:

Joel
11-26-2013, 10:56 AM
No game with SEVEN turnovers is "good," at least not in terms of quality of play. Seven turnovers in one game aren't "flukes," they're sloppy by professional players who should be coached better than that (and yes, that goes for Belichick, too, though he's been forced to start a lot of rookies this year and may not have had time to whip them into shape.)

As for NE being the "first" to make us look human, has the Indy game become some mentally repressed trauma for everyone? If we needed a tough loss to a good team on our own screw ups just so we stop taking ANYTHING for granted, buying our own BS or commiting STUPID errors, or remind us to finish games (which really falls into all the preceding categories,) Indy was it. Actually, last years playoff to a team we SHELLED on the road just a month earlier was. After the third time it's just a team too talented to have any excuse for blowing games, yet doing it anyway. Can't wait for the SINGLE ELIMINATION tournament.

If we want to talk about luck, luck was seizing the opportunity to come back from 21-7 against Washington after handing them 3 TDs, and their players being sloppy enough to let us. Or forcing an immediate turnover to regain the ball after our ONLY turnover against KC. I wish we could play every game like we did against KC (except for the poor run blocking.) If we were champions and professionals, we would.

MasterShake
11-26-2013, 11:24 AM
No game with SEVEN turnovers is "good," at least not in terms of quality of play. Seven turnovers in one game aren't "flukes," they're sloppy by professional players who should be coached better than that (and yes, that goes for Belichick, too, though he's been forced to start a lot of rookies this year and may not have had time to whip them into shape.)

As for NE being the "first" to make us look human, has the Indy game become some mentally repressed trauma for everyone? If we needed a tough loss to a good team on our own screw ups just so we stop taking ANYTHING for granted, buying our own BS or commiting STUPID errors, or remind us to finish games (which really falls into all the preceding categories,) Indy was it. Actually, last years playoff to a team we SHELLED on the road just a month earlier was. After the third time it's just a team too talented to have any excuse for blowing games, yet doing it anyway. Can't wait for the SINGLE ELIMINATION tournament.

If we want to talk about luck, luck was seizing the opportunity to come back from 21-7 against Washington after handing them 3 TDs, and their players being sloppy enough to let us. Or forcing an immediate turnover to regain the ball after our ONLY turnover against KC. I wish we could play every game like we did against KC (except for the poor run blocking.) If we were champions and professionals, we would.

I agree to an extent, but I also think that some turnovers are not "sloppy" and require just as much skill and timing to generate as any good play. The turnover by Ball was a result of a direct hit on the ball by the defenders helmet. That was not luck or sloppy play, that was skill. Same thing with how Von Miller went for Brady's throwing arm on the sack fumble. Calling a turnover "sloppy" or "lucky" really diminishes how much skill is involved in producing one.

But that muffed punt to lose the game? That was some lucky sloppy bullshit.

Joel
11-26-2013, 12:11 PM
I agree to an extent, but I also think that some turnovers are not "sloppy" and require just as much skill and timing to generate as any good play. The turnover by Ball was a result of a direct hit on the ball by the defenders helmet. That was not luck or sloppy play, that was skill. Same thing with how Von Miller went for Brady's throwing arm on the sack fumble. Calling a turnover "sloppy" or "lucky" really diminishes how much skill is involved in producing one.

But that muffed punt to lose the game? That was some lucky sloppy bullshit.
Most turnovers, IMHO, are caused by skilled disciplined defenders and UNskilled UNdisciplined offense. Sometimes there are bad breaks; if a tackler hits the ball JUST right Jim Brown couldn't hold onto it with THREE hands. But balls can't "take a bad bounce" unless they're already on the ground, and that's usually down to all the ways defensive players are coached to knock them out and offensive players are coached to protect them. Or not. Teams that give it away a lot lose games for the same reason they give it away a lot: That's how they were coached. Same for teams with lots of takeaways.

artie_dale
11-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Let's kill the pessimism already. There's not a fat enough Sharpie in the world to redact the crap online I have to read right now.

That was a damn good game of football. Ended the wrong way, but I like it when a good team fights hard and wins. Props to NE. That is a damn good team to make the Broncos look human. First team to do it.

This is going to be a great December. I hope these teams meet again after that.

GO BRONCOS!!

I too "appreciated" how good that game was. Being a Bronco fan watching it, it was heart wrenching to see. That'll go down as one of the Patriots' greatest comebacks and probably an NFL Classic (nearly a tie). Sucks being on the end we are on though. On to the Chiefs. I'm looking forward to seeing Alex Smith not risking passing the ball in high stress situations and either tucking and running or throwing it away. There's a reason he looks like he doesn't make any mistakes on paper. It's because he doesn't take risks or shots. You aren't going to get the big play out of him. He ran the ball for geez sakes on the last play of the game against us. Didn't even give his WRs a chance to go get the ball.

Hawgdriver
11-26-2013, 09:03 PM
No game with SEVEN turnovers is "good," ...

I know what you mean. You think the execution was poor. Poor execution isn't as entertaining.

Well, I won't argue that. But something about the overall game, in the context of the careers of Brady and Manning, in the context of this unique story arc of this season, made the whole affair dramatic and compelling. It was a prolonged "seat-edger." A tantric game of football lol. Those games don't come along often, but I "enjoy" it when they do.

Buff
11-26-2013, 09:21 PM
I am sorry that I am picking your thread to draw a line in the sand - but frankly I am sick of everyone trying to spin this positively or find the silver lining... FFS people, this is going down as a historic Patriots win. An epic collapse that is symbolic of Manning's shortcomings and place in history behind Tom Brady.

That second half was torturous. Death by 1000 paper cuts. The opposite of enjoyable. Awful. Sickening. The uncontrollable feeling of dread and desperation that goes with being a fanatic.

Buff
11-26-2013, 09:24 PM
I guess what I am saying is that pessimism rules the day! Not getting that optimism by on my watch.

MOtorboat
11-26-2013, 09:25 PM
I am sorry that I am picking your thread to draw a line in the sand - but frankly I am sick of everyone trying to spin this positively or find the silver lining... FFS people, this is going down as a historic Patriots win. An epic collapse that is symbolic of Manning's shortcomings and place in history behind Tom Brady.

That second half was torturous. Death by 1000 paper cuts. The opposite of enjoyable. Awful. Sickening. The uncontrollable feeling of dread and desperation that goes with being a fanatic.

Does there have to be either? It is what it is.

A loss. On the road against a good team. These things happen. Would you call Denver's manhandling of Baltimore an epic Denver win last year? Hell no. It was a regular season game.

Buff
11-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Does there have to be either? It is what it is.

A loss. On the road against a good team. These things happen. Would you call Denver's manhandling of Baltimore an epic Denver win last year? Hell no. It was a regular season game.

I will never forget our 24 point comeback in San Diego last year. No Patriots fan will ever forget the night they came back from a 24 point deficit behind Tom Brady against Peyton Manning. It was a totally demoralizing loss made all the more awful that it came at the hands of Tom Brady, Josh McDaniels, Bill Bellichick and the Boston fans.

Anyway, I can't force these feelings upon you, I just want to defend my right to be a curmudgeon... that's all.

WTE
11-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Buff is right. It was a historic collapse. There is no way you can spin this in a positive light.

We should all watch it again tomorrow night on NFL replay and dissect why this was truly one of the greatest come from behind victories in NFL History.

Hawgdriver
11-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Buff is right. It was a historic collapse. There is no way you can spin this in a positive light.

We should all watch it again tomorrow night on NFL replay and dissect why this was truly one of the greatest come from behind victories in NFL History.

You overstate.

Hawgdriver
11-27-2013, 01:01 AM
I will never forget our 24 point comeback in San Diego last year. No Patriots fan will ever forget the night they came back from a 24 point deficit behind Tom Brady against Peyton Manning. It was a totally demoralizing loss made all the more awful that it came at the hands of Tom Brady, Josh McDaniels, Bill Bellichick and the Boston fans.

Anyway, I can't force these feelings upon you, I just want to defend my right to be a curmudgeon... that's all.

You know it's not trivial crawling out of that hole, right? Why you gotta drag me back down into it?

Dzone
11-27-2013, 02:38 AM
Even the headline on the newspaper on Monday had the headline "Monumental Collapse"...lol

Buff
11-27-2013, 10:10 AM
You know it's not trivial crawling out of that hole, right? Why you gotta drag me back down into it?

I know - I feel kind of bad for sullying your thread. I will go be despondent by myself. I'm sorry.

Hawgdriver
11-27-2013, 04:30 PM
I know - I feel kind of bad for sullying your thread. I will go be despondent by myself. I'm sorry.

Been there.