PDA

View Full Version : Broncos briefs: Knowshon Moreno suffers ankle injury in loss

Denver Native (Carol)
11-25-2013, 12:40 PM
FOXBOROUGH, mass. —

Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno, who limped off the field in overtime Sunday night, appeared in the Denver locker room on crutches and wearing a boot on his right ankle after the game. The former first-round draft pick finished the game with 224 rushing yards, a career high.

"My line just did a great job of blocking for me,"Moreno said. "We lost, that's what it's all about. It's getting the 'W.' "

rest - plus other things
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24594432/broncos-briefs-knowshon-moreno-suffers-ankle-injury-loss

CrazyHorse
11-25-2013, 01:03 PM
I hope it's not serious. We really can't afford to lose him. Same with Duke and DRC. We'd be missing our entire starting secondary.

tomjonesrocks
11-25-2013, 01:52 PM
This is the problem with Moreno. If you up his workload, injury is a when, not if.

Not that Denver had any choice with all the other backs shitting the bed.

Hopefully a low ankle sprain, but that would be rare luck for Moreno.

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 02:19 PM
I read this as "Knowshon loses ankle in injury".

NightTerror218
11-25-2013, 02:33 PM
At keast it is not his knee this time. This means Ball will be lead rusher.
Not sure what I think about that.

slim
11-25-2013, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't count on Montee being the back.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them sign Lance Ball, if Moreno can't go.

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Ball. Hillman. Anderson.

I don't see them signing anyone.

slim
11-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Ball. Hillman. Anderson.

I don't see them signing anyone.

They don't trust any of those backs. How could they?

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 02:45 PM
They don't trust any of those backs. How could they?

Do you expect New England to pick up a bunch of new backs?

I don't get the whole fumbling thing. Players fumble. Even Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. What are the odds that players will fumble directly after fumbling previously? I won't look them up. But I'd say they aren't high. If you can't trust a player to run with the ball, why keep them? Just to sit on the bench?

CoachChaz
11-25-2013, 02:46 PM
When has Anderson lost trust? One bad exchange on a handoff that he recovered? If Mo cant go, I give CJ some reps

slim
11-25-2013, 02:46 PM
If you can't trust a player to run with the ball, why keep them?

Exactly.

slim
11-25-2013, 02:47 PM
When has Anderson lost trust? One bad exchange on a handoff that he recovered? If Mo cant go, I give CJ some reps

Yeah, you are right. I am letting my butthurt from last nights game cloud my judgment.

I can't see them giving Ball or Hillman the start, though.

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Ronnie Hillman has been inactive a few weeks. It's time for him to come back and play like Knowshon.

CoachChaz
11-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Yeah, you are right. I am letting my butthurt from last nights game cloud my judgment.

I can't see them giving Ball or Hillman the start, though.

That's ok...I'm bias toward Anderson. I just like what I see in him and really want to see him get reps. Sadly...they will ride Ball and Hillman until they prove to be busts and CJ will never get a chance

SR
11-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Yeah, you are right. I am letting my butthurt from last nights game cloud my judgment. I can't see them giving Ball or Hillman the start, though.

I can see Del Rio having a "this is your chance to shine, kid. Screw it up and you're done" chat with Ball and giving him the start Sunday.

dogfish
11-25-2013, 02:50 PM

if mo can go, i still give CJ reps. . . gotta have more than one back you can actually play. . .

i honestly wouldn't care if they cut hillman and signed a vet off the streets. . .

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Montee Ball scored 2 TDs against Kansas City.

jhildebrand
11-25-2013, 02:52 PM
if mo can go, i still give CJ reps. . . gotta have more than one back you can actually play. . .

i honestly wouldn't care if they cut hillman and signed a vet off the streets. . .

Cut hillman for Namdi?

CoachChaz
11-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Cut hillman for Namdi?

Gotta have a PS back

slim
11-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Montee Ball scored 2 TDs against Kansas City.

They are not going to keep running him out there if he keeps fumbling. Adam Gase has made point of that in some recent interviews.

Their hands may be tied, but I would be surprised to see Ball starting next week.

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Can we all agree that Knowshon needs to find Jesus and get healed up so he can start?

slim
11-25-2013, 02:59 PM
I am sending him some deer antler spray.

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 03:01 PM
I brought up that Knowshon was from New Jersey during the game in NY/NJ against the Giants.

Fun fact. Montee Ball was born 3 hours east of KC, in Wentzville, MO.

BroncoWave
11-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Hopefully it isn't too serious. I would start Anderson if Moreno can't go though. He has not shown any fumbling issues yet and he has run well this season. I would trust him more than Hillman or Ball right now.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-25-2013, 04:20 PM
In DelRio's press conference a little while ago, he stated Knowshon had a bruised ankle, and is listed as day to day.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 40m

Jack Del Rio said Knowshon Moreno's ankle is bruised. He's day to day, as is DRC w minor shoulder injury.

BroncoWave
11-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Great news on both of those. We cannot afford to lose either one.

I think Moreno is answering a lot of questions about his toughness right now. You could tell he was hurting last night, and he kept playing and kept racking up yards. We would have gotten blown out if not for his performance.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-25-2013, 04:32 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos interim coach Jack Del Rio says MRIs revealed Knowshon Moreno's sprained right ankle and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie's jammed right shoulder are "not significant" injuries.

Del Rio said both players are day to day and should practice this week.

Moreno left Gillette Stadium in a walking boot Sunday night after rushing for a career-high 224 yards on 37 carries in Denver's 34-31 overtime loss to the New England Patriots.

Rodgers-Cromartie was hurt on the final play of the first half, and his absence helped the Patriots overcome a 24-0 halftime deficit.

Del Rio had no update for defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson (hip) but said he expects cornerback Champ Bailey (foot) and tight end Julius Thomas (knee) to play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10036473/injuries-knowshon-moreno-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-denver-broncos-not-significant

LTC Pain
11-25-2013, 04:55 PM
I found this article where JDR says MRIs revealed Knowshon Moreno's sprained right ankle and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie's jammed right shoulder are "not significant" injuries and both should practice this week. Good news!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/11/25/mris-show-injuries-to-knowshon-moreno-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-arent/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fsports+%28Internal+-+Sports+-+Mixed%29

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 04:57 PM
I found this article where JDR says MRIs revealed Knowshon Moreno's sprained right ankle and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie's jammed right shoulder are "not significant" injuries and both should practice this week. Good news!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/11/25/mris-show-injuries-to-knowshon-moreno-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-arent/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fsports+%28Internal+-+Sports+-+Mixed%29

It's Fox News. So, I don't know.

DenBronx
11-25-2013, 05:47 PM
This is the problem with Moreno. If you up his workload, injury is a when, not if.

Not that Denver had any choice with all the other backs shitting the bed.

Hopefully a low ankle sprain, but that would be rare luck for Moreno.

37 carries is ALOT for a RB in todays league. He took full advantage of those 37 carries too which put him 4th for most attempts in Broncos franchise history for a RB and I think top 20 all-time for yards in a single game.

I cringe anytime the other backs touch the ball. Moreno fits this offense perfectly and we can't afford to lose him.

And passing up on Eddie Lacy seems to be a big big mistake. I am not impressed with Ball, not when he turns it over like that. Holliday, Ball, Hillman and CJ all seem to have fumbling problems.

DenBronx
11-25-2013, 05:48 PM
It's Fox News. So, I don't know.

I believe Vic Lombardi confirmed that for us. Del Rio also said they were day to day which doesnt seem significant. I bet they suit up for KC.

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 05:54 PM
37 carries is ALOT for a RB in todays league. He took full advantage of those 37 carries too which put him 4th for most attempts in Broncos franchise history for a RB and I think top 20 all-time for yards in a single game.

I cringe anytime the other backs touch the ball. Moreno fits this offense perfectly and we can't afford to lose him.

And passing up on Eddie Lacy seems to be a big big mistake. I am not impressed with Ball, not when he turns it over like that. Holliday, Ball, Hillman and CJ all seem to have fumbling problems.

We'll see. I think we have to wait a few years. Knowshon was a horrible pick and we should have cut him. So was Moore, and we should have cut him. Things change too often. People jump on the chance to call someone a bust, it seems.

BroncoWave
11-25-2013, 07:18 PM

What exactly are CJ's fumbling issues? His one fumble was on a botched handoff, and he recovered the fumble.

MOtorboat
11-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Didn't Anderson just flat out drop one last night with no one around?

BroncoWave
11-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Didn't Anderson just flat out drop one last night with no one around?

We had so many drops last night I don't even remember.

MOtorboat
11-25-2013, 07:24 PM
We had so many drops last night I don't even remember.

I meant a fumble with no one around, and he recovered it himself, not a dropped pass. Probably should have stated that better.

BroncoWave
11-25-2013, 07:28 PM
I meant a fumble with no one around, and he recovered it himself, not a dropped pass. Probably should have stated that better.

I don't think so? I think his only fumble was on a botched handoff.

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 08:22 PM
It was a botched handoff, but I'm pretty sure it was the RBs fault.

Joel
11-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Exactly. Anderson's fumbled all of once in the regular season, and immediately falling on it is enough by itself to put him head and shoulders above Ball and Hillman. I would say his pass blocking is a bigger question, but it's not like Ball or Hillman are exactly stellar in that regard. They're decent receivers, but until/unless the NFL goes to a velcro ball that's all they are now.

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 09:20 PM
CJ's 7 rushes for 38 yards kinda puts him down a notch.

Joel
11-25-2013, 09:21 PM
It was a botched handoff, but I'm pretty sure it was the RBs fault.
Looked like it to me, but it was recorded as a fumble by Manning, just as all fumbled handoffs are charged to the QB (he's the last one with possession.) Something to bear in mind for those who blamed Manning for Balls fumble last week. ;) He might get ONE more chance, but if he fumbles in three straight games he's probably in the same sinking boat as Hillman. Even now, 2 fumbles in 17 carries is awful.

Joel
11-25-2013, 09:27 PM
CJ's 7 rushes for 38 yards kinda puts him down a notch.
Why? That 5.4 rushing average is the highest rushing average on the team, by over a yard in every case but Hillmans (4.6.) If anything, that puts Anderson UP a notch, but it's too small a sample size to say anything definitive. However, there's a very simple way to get a sample that IS large enough to draw conclusions from, especially since Ball currently can't make more than half a dozen runs without giving the ball to the other team. I said last week he couldn't count on Jammer and Trevathan bailing him out everytime that happens, but apparently he didn't listen.

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 09:34 PM
And Brock Osweiler has the best QBR on the team.

I'd like to assume the coaches set up their depth chart the way they do for a reason. If they see something in CJ, they'll give him more carries. They don't have to start him just to prove something. I assume they do the things they do for a reason, since they get paid to do it and I get paid to sit here at a desk and over-analyze them. I'm not saying you can't have your opinion, I'm just saying this is mine.

Dzone
11-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Knowshon is a BAMF and he will start against KC. Its just a bruise. Makes you wonder if Ball gets inactive and they bring in Hillman ...I kind of doubt it because Ball has more upside than Hillman in the long run. Ball will get thru it, If AP and Eric Dickerson had fumble problems early on, then can be patient with Ball...

sneakers
11-25-2013, 10:46 PM
I read this as "Knowshon loses ankle in injury".

same here

Joel
11-25-2013, 10:47 PM
And Brock Osweiler has the best QBR on the team.

I'd like to assume the coaches set up their depth chart the way they do for a reason. If they see something in CJ, they'll give him more carries. They don't have to start him just to prove something. I assume they do the things they do for a reason, since they get paid to do it and I get paid to sit here at a desk and over-analyze them. I'm not saying you can't have your opinion, I'm just saying this is mine.
That's a reasonable position, though somewhat undermined by Ball and Hillmans recurring fumble issues. Maybe we just don't spend enough time working on causing and preventing strips and picks in TC and on the practice field, which just goes back to what lots of turnovers says about coaches. When arguing the depth chart vindicates its order by appeal to authority of coaches, it's important to remember Ball only rose because Hillman FELL from #2 on the depth chart, due to fumbling; depth charts have neither the infallibility nor permance of tablets from Mt. Horeb.

YOU brought up Andersons stats though, and they don't support the argument our other backs are better. There aren't enough of them to credibly argue he's better, and I noted that, but that the stats themselves are MUCH better than ALL our other RBS certainly doesn't suggest ANY (much less ALL) of them are better than him. The depth chart order's probably a function of a lot of other factors; passing is such a dominant part of the modern NFL that the best pure runner is rarely the starter unless he's also the best pass blocker and/or receiver. Terrell Davis reportedly said as much to Ball after the draft.

amyedward
11-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Oh ,no ,not him.please

Hawgdriver
11-25-2013, 10:53 PM
37 carries is ALOT for a RB in todays league.

In fact, it's the most among active backs.

Dapper Dan
11-25-2013, 11:21 PM
That's a reasonable position, though somewhat undermined by Ball and Hillmans recurring fumble issues. Maybe we just don't spend enough time working on causing and preventing strips and picks in TC and on the practice field, which just goes back to what lots of turnovers says about coaches. When arguing the depth chart vindicates its order by appeal to authority of coaches, it's important to remember Ball only rose because Hillman FELL from #2 on the depth chart, due to fumbling; depth charts have neither the infallibility nor permance of tablets from Mt. Horeb.

YOU brought up Andersons stats though, and they don't support the argument our other backs are better. There aren't enough of them to credibly argue he's better, and I noted that, but that the stats themselves are MUCH better than ALL our other RBS certainly doesn't suggest ANY (much less ALL) of them are better than him. The depth chart order's probably a function of a lot of other factors; passing is such a dominant part of the modern NFL that the best pure runner is rarely the starter unless he's also the best pass blocker and/or receiver. Terrell Davis reportedly said as much to Ball after the draft.

I don't get why everyone is all over Anderson. He's shown absolutely nothing. I'm not going to say the staff needs to put him in to see what he can do. I'm only going to assume he has 7 carries for a reason. Brock Osweiler has 7 pass attempts. It's because there are better players ahead of them. I'm not ready to give up on Ball or Hillman, just like I never gave up on Moreno. Sorry.

SR
11-25-2013, 11:24 PM
I sent this tweet to Shady McCoy today:

@JDemoney: @CutonDime25 @JasonLaCanfora not much to say about Knowshon this week huh Shady?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Montee Ball will be a good rb for us. Mark my words. I was right about Knowshon and I'm right about Montee.

Joel
11-26-2013, 12:26 AM
I don't get why everyone is all over Anderson. He's shown absolutely nothing. I'm not going to say the staff needs to put him in to see what he can do. I'm only going to assume he has 7 carries for a reason. Brock Osweiler has 7 pass attempts. It's because there are better players ahead of them. I'm not ready to give up on Ball or Hillman, just like I never gave up on Moreno. Sorry.
People are all over Anderson because he had a good preseason and Ball just fumbled away a road win against a playoff team, while Hillman fumbled away a road comeback against a playoff team. If not for Jammer and Trevathans heroics last week, Ball might well have cost us the win against KC: He lost the ball in range of an easy FG, but they got it back and we went on a TD drive, a 10 pt swing in a game we won by 10.

Some people are on Anderson basically because of that whole "I knew before anyone he'd be great, because I saw him in preseason" crap NFL Network used to try and convince people paying to see preseason games was a good idea. However, I believe most people are simply OFF Ball and Hillman because they keep catastrophically screwing up. Not just dancing in the backfield and getting hurt because of crappy blocking that didn't let McGahee do much better, but fumbling away games we need to win and otherwise would.

Doesn't mean we give up on them, but it may mean they're not ready yet. If people want to say, "Moreno was eventually good after an awful first few years," fine; maybe we can try Ball or Hillman again next year, bench them again if they're still fumble prone and poor blockers, and try them again later. RIGHT NOW—today—they're costing us games, and what they might (or might not) EVENTUALLY do doesn't help now.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Joel, the fumble last week was Manning's fault. It was a bad hand-off.

weazel
11-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Montee Ball will be a good rb for us. Mark my words. I was right about Knowshon and I'm right about Montee.

I agree, I think he runs well. He just has to fix the fumble problem.

Joel
11-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Joel, the fumble last week was Manning's fault. It was a bad hand-off.
Very debatable, but I don't feel like debating it again, because it's a judgement call so there's no way to definitively resolve it. The stat sheet says Balls fumble against KC AND Andersons against NE were on Manning; maybe we should bench him for Osweiler. :tongue:

Dapper Dan
11-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Who puts one fumble as the reason for losing a game? What about other turnovers? What about not converting a third down? Is it so simple that the one fumble can cost you the entire game while everything else is reversible?

Joel
11-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Who puts one fumble as the reason for losing a game? What about other turnovers? What about not converting a third down? Is it so simple that the one fumble can cost you the entire game while everything else is reversible?
Sure, there were lots of contributing factors, but the Indy loss was reversible as long as we were reversing it; that ended when Hillman fumbled away a TD at their goal line instead of pulling us within a FG with 5:00 to play. Ball's at the other end of the spectrum: His fumble after NEs first TD of the night prevented us reestablishing our huge lead, intead sparking their comeback by cutting it to a manageable 10 pts. There are MANY reasons PFM and most coaches like running with a second half lead, but one is that passing turnovers outnumbers rushing turnovers ~3:1—except in Denver, where we want EVERYONE to get in on the action.

Not converting a third down doesn't drop 3 pts in an opponents lap with a good chance to make it 7. In fact, decades old studies long ago determined the statistical difference between a turnover and not converting a third down: Roughly 4 pts, the difference between the Expected Points from a 50 yd punt and giving the bad guys the ball at the current LoS. There's a reason turnovers correlate to winning more than any other stat (including third down conversion percentage.)

Our RB fumbles essentially equal QB interceptions (6 fumbles, 7 Ints.) That's appalling; our RBs ALONE cough it up TWICE every THREE games. But it's really even higher; Manning's charged with 10 fumbles, but that includes EVERY handoff dropped, his fault or not (sorry, but he put it squarely in Balls body last week, and the RB had one hand above plus a hand and arm right below it: There's NO excuse for dropping it.)

Honestly, after Anderson followed suit the argument someone made against Studesville has merit . My gramma said if you meet one jerk he's just a jerk; meet two, bad day: If EVERYONE you meet's a jerk, maybe THEY aren't the problem. It's kinda the same here; ONE or even TWO fumbling RBs might be on them, but now it looks like we may have THREE. McGahee had trouble with it last year; injury put him on the bench, but 5 fumbles in 9 starts kept him there. He's in Cleveland now: 5 starts, 9 games, ONE fumble. In 2011 he managed to match his highest ever Baltimore total despite less carries than ANY season there.

claymore
11-26-2013, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't count on Montee being the back.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them sign Lance Ball, if Moreno can't go.

We need to replace studsville. Someone needs to be held accountable, and we have to much invested in Ball and Hillman. Id put his ass on notice.

Dapper Dan
11-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Why is a fumble worse than an interception?

Joel
11-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Why is a fumble worse than an interception?
I meant the quantity of our RBs fumbles equals the quantity of our QBs Ints, which is inexcusable when league rushing turnovers annually outnumber Ints 3:1. However, since you bring it up, fumbles are often worse than Ints because they give the ball away near the LoS with few or no players blocking the end zone, usually with the fastest offensive players running downfield the other way, while interceptions tend to occur downfield with most of both players between the defender and the end zone.

An intercepted bomb is no worse than a punt: It nullifies a potential scoring drive, but otherwise preventing a good return prevents any true DAMAGE (just like a punt.) A fumble not only gives up the ball, but ~40 yds of field position the average punt nets. Statistically, that translates into a little over a FGs worth of Expected Points. Obviously it's different when DBs jump a quick out for a pick-six, but, in general: Would you rather give them the ball near their goal line, or yours? The difference between most interceptions and punts is why teams don't go for it on fourth down.

Ravage!!!
11-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Very debatable, but I don't feel like debating it again, because it's a judgement call so there's no way to definitively resolve it. The stat sheet says Balls fumble against KC AND Andersons against NE were on Manning; maybe we should bench him for Osweiler. :tongue:

Actually, if you look in your books and read the section on handing off the ball, you might learn that putting the bal up HIGH on a RBs shoulder pads puts it against the breast plate, which his hard and doesn't et the ball INTO the body. Now I know you don't know this, as you probably have never seen what shoulder pads look like and certainly have never tried them on. But the part that actually ties the pads onto the body is across the chest. Its HARD plastic, and the QB learns early that you HAVE to keep the ball bouncing off the shoulder pads when giving the ball.

That comes from experience with the RB and the RB with the QB. SOme QBs hold the ball up higher, some RBs crouch lower when taking hand-offs, and others have a tendency to raise up when getting the ball. Manning placed that ball in the wrong spot on Ball.

Dapper Dan
11-26-2013, 12:54 PM
How many interceptions are recovered by the offense?

Joel
11-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Actually, if you look in your books and read the section on handing off the ball, you might learn that putting the bal up HIGH on a RBs shoulder pads puts it against the breast plate, which his hard and doesn't et the ball INTO the body. Now I know you don't know this, as you probably have never seen what shoulder pads look like and certainly have never tried them on. But the part that actually ties the pads onto the body is across the chest. Its HARD plastic, and the QB learns early that you HAVE to keep the ball bouncing off the shoulder pads when giving the ball.

That comes from experience with the RB and the RB with the QB. SOme QBs hold the ball up higher, some RBs crouch lower when taking hand-offs, and others have a tendency to raise up when getting the ball. Manning placed that ball in the wrong spot on Ball.
I've already (repeatedly) said Manning should've put the ball lower, but it's equally true that when a back gets the ball squarely ANYWHERE in his torso with one hand and arm directly below and the other directly above it he should NEVER drop the ball. That's like saying it's the QBs fault when a receiver forgets "you catch with your hands, not with your body." If he's got BOTH HANDS ON THE BALL (as Ball did) it shouldn't be dropped even if it hits him in the knees.

The "I played on my JV team and you've obviously never played Pop Warner" personal observation is as relevant and welcome as ever though. :)

Joel
11-26-2013, 05:51 PM
How many interceptions are recovered by the offense?
Precious few unless they're fumbled first, but it's not a turnover if the team never loses possession. No, a fumble recovered by the offense isn't any worse than a sack, but that's not really what we're talking about, is it? If a guy has 3 fumbles in 75 attempts but always falls on them the coach won't exactly be thrilled, but probably won't bench him if he's producing.

Which is another thing: People keep asking, "Why is everyone so high on Anderson?" but it's AT LEAST as valid to ask why everyone's so high on BALL. He's barely got HALF Andersons rushing average, no runs >16 yds, just 3 rushing TDs, just 8 catches for 60 yds and 0 TDs and can't pass block. What, precisely, makes this guy such an invaluable backup we can't afford to replace him with a guy who's gained far more per carry and hasn't lost ANY fumbles? What do we stand to lose, not in our hopes for a 2nd round rookie, but TANGIBLE things?

Dapper Dan
11-26-2013, 07:00 PM
A fumble is bad because you drop the ball. It doesn't matter to me if you get a lucky bounce.

Joel
11-26-2013, 08:10 PM
A fumble is bad because you drop the ball. It doesn't matter to me if you get a lucky bounce.
Sure it's bad, same way a TFL or (often) a sack is bad. It's just not half as bad as a LOST fumble, because unless it's on third down you can still extend the drive with a conversion and end up in the end zone very quickly. Much better than handing the bad guys a chance to do that 40 yds closer than a punt would. "Any possession that ends with a kick is a good one."

Put it this way: If a RB fumbles the ball, falls on it for a 3 yd loss, then runs 60 yds for a TD on the next play, how much will the coach say to him about that fumble he didn't lose?

Dapper Dan
11-26-2013, 08:15 PM
So drinking and driving is okay as long as you don't get caught?

Joel
11-26-2013, 08:21 PM
So drinking and driving is okay as long as you don't get caught?
Of course not, but if you avoid an accident or cops negative consequences are far less severe. If you ARE caught, and because you rammed a school bus as loaded as you are, it's MUCH worse.

Are we seriously debating whether a fumbles worse if recovered by an opponent rather than a teammate? Again, a starting NFL QB (for whom the West Coast Offense was invented) did a statistical study on this >40 years ago: Not only is the lost fumble definitely worse, it's about 4 Expected Points worse: Fact. http://pubsonline.informs.org/doi/pdf/10.1287/opre.19.2.541

jhildebrand
11-26-2013, 09:02 PM
These coaches are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Too conservative one week and not conservative in another. Just a thought.

The one real issue I have with the game is the handling of Moreno. They put him back out there when he clearly wasn't right-not even close! That was as bad as Shanny having RGIII out there. The coaching staff should take some heat for that! Anything I said about KnoMo being a glass gina, I take back and fully retract.

tripp
11-26-2013, 10:56 PM
If someone had offered me 4th or 5th rounder for Moreno in this past off-season, I would have taken it and ran. Never have I been so proud of a player in football as I have this year with Moreno. What an incredible story this is turning out to be, and it'd be a complete shame to see him injured for the rest of the year. IMO, we rest him this week. Don't even try to aggravate an injury to a player we so desperately need for the rest of the season and beyond. We have to some at some point show faith in Ball, Anderson, and.. *gulp* Hillman. It doesn't help Ball fumbled Sunday night, but I like to hope he is learning from his mistakes, taking what Studesville is saying to him and rectifying the situation.

Moreno has proven his worth a million times over, and that is obviously by far the best game he has ever played as a Denver Bronco. Flashes of TD, might I add. We need to find ways to win that doesn't involve Peyton throwing for 300+ yds and 4+ TD's.