PDA

View Full Version : Broncos need free safety fill-in for Sunday

Denver Native (Carol)
11-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Let's play "Football for Dummies."

The subject is the safety position. It's the subject because with Rahim Moore out the rest of the regular season, Denver's starting safeties for the New England game Sunday night are Duke Ihenacho and Mike Adams.

Ihenacho is the starting strong safety. Last season, Adams started 17 games at strong safety. That's two strong safeties and no free safety, which is what Moore plays.

Adams or Ihenacho will have to play free safety on the road Sunday against Tom Brady. The difference between a free safety and a strong safety?

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24584408/broncos-need-free-safety-fill-sunday

Army Bronco
11-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Well if they need depth I can play.....OK , no I can't but I wish.

SR
11-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Adams will be fine at FS

LawDog
11-23-2013, 11:01 PM
JDR addressed this in one of his pressers thus week. We're fine.

Joel
11-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Adams will be fine at FS
Yup. His description of the FS position was dead on, but the distinction between FS and SS has been diminishing rapidly in the NFL for a while now thanks to guys like Lynch and Dawkins. Regardless, when I watch Adams play he looks more like a FS than SS anyway; he doesn't move up to play the run a lot, go for sacks or lay out receivers: He covers like the centerfielder he described the FS to be. I preferred him to Moore in that role last year, and the playoffs didn't exactly change my mind; I just didn't want him to get the job like this, and not just because it raises depth issues (though it certainly does.) I agree he'll be fine.

Simple Jaded
11-24-2013, 12:53 AM
I have been saying for years that the Broncos will have to replace players when they get injured, it's about time they see the err in their ways.

Captain Speardog
11-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Yup. His description of the FS position was dead on, but the distinction between FS and SS has been diminishing rapidly in the NFL for a while now thanks to guys like Lynch and Dawkins. Regardless, when I watch Adams play he looks more like a FS than SS anyway; he doesn't move up to play the run a lot, go for sacks or lay out receivers: He covers like the centerfielder he described the FS to be. I preferred him to Moore in that role last year, and the playoffs didn't exactly change my mind; I just didn't want him to get the job like this, and not just because it raises depth issues (though it certainly does.) I agree he'll be fine.

I agree a safety is a safety nowadays.

Broncolingus
11-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Nooooo reason why Adams shouldn't step in and do fine...if he doesn't, that's solely on him.

Related, would be nice for Mr. Miller to 'bring-it' tonight and take control...

...he's due for one of those games methinks.

Joel
11-24-2013, 08:17 PM
I agree a safety is a safety nowadays.
Understand, I don't think it SHOULD be; teams need a guy who plays centerfield and one who eats up runners and gets sacks. It doesn't matter which is which (because what's in a name?) but there should be one of each. Back when we had Lynch at FS our SSs were the centerfielders, and that's fine (especially if opponents take the position titles at face value,) but we don't need two safeties who can't defend Hail Maries, nor two who can't charge up the middle to sack a QB or bring reality crashing down on the Nigerian Nightmare.