PDA

View Full Version : Woodson: Melo not getting calls

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Carmelo Anthony isn't getting the "superstar" calls from referees, New York Knicks coach Mike Woodson says.

In an interview Thursday on ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "The Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco Show," Woodson said that other big-name players receive better treatment from officials than Anthony.

"Absolutely. And I'm not going to shy away from that, either. I think Melo gets hit more than ever," Woodson said in his weekly radio spot.

rest - http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10012256/carmelo-anthony-not-getting-calls-mike-woodson-says

Geez - I need to find the official NBA rules, and read the section on "superstars". I did not realize there was such a section. I thought all players were to be treated equally when it comes to fouls :rolleyes:

Rick
11-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Shit, not getting ENOUGH fouls??? The NBA awards too many fouls as it is.

Part of the reason I'm watching less and less NBA games is I am sick of the sneeze at another player and a foul is called bullshit.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Its part of being a big body. Dwight Howard doesn't get many calls.

MOtorboat
11-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Its part of being a big body. Dwight Howard doesn't get many calls.

He's led the league in free throw attempts four times. And leads the league this year.

MOtorboat
11-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Shit, not getting ENOUGH fouls??? The NBA awards too many fouls as it is.

Part of the reason I'm watching less and less NBA games is I am sick of the sneeze at another player and a foul is called bullshit.

There's no more fouls today than there were at any point in NBA history.

Rick
11-22-2013, 10:21 AM
That may very well be true but it doesn't make me any less sick of seeing them constantly called.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-22-2013, 12:42 PM
He's led the league in free throw attempts four times. And leads the league this year.

That just means teams hack him because he's a great athlete who is a terrible free throw shooter. It doesn't change the fact that there is contact that doesn't get called with him because he's such a wide body.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-22-2013, 02:34 PM
GREENBURGH, NY -- New York Knicks coach Mike Woodson has been fined $25,000 for public criticism of officials, the NBA said Friday.

In an interview Thursday on ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "The Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco Show," Woodson said that Carmelo Anthony isn't getting "superstar" calls.

rest - http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10019025/mike-woodson-new-york-knicks-fined-25k-comments

Rather than making sure all players are treated equally, let's just fine Woodson for stating that Anthony is not getting "superstar" calls, and continue giving "superstars" calls which other players do not get.

Poet
11-22-2013, 08:23 PM
There's no more fouls today than there were at any point in NBA history.

The 1980's would like to have a word with you, Mo.

MOtorboat
11-22-2013, 08:56 PM
The 1980's would like to have a word with you, Mo.

Look at the numbers...were the fouls rougher than today? Sure. But there weren't less of them.

Poet
11-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Look at the numbers...were the fouls rougher than today? Sure. But there weren't less of them.

But the plays that were not called fouls were still more physical than the plays that are not being called foul are today. This relates to what Rick's saying about the game being soft, or ticky-tacky.

MOtorboat
11-22-2013, 09:11 PM
But the plays that were not called fouls were still more physical than the plays that are not being called foul are today. This relates to what Rick's saying about the game being soft, or ticky-tacky.

Sure, you don't have the Bad Boys cheap shotting people all over the floor, but it hasn't made the game less enjoyable IMO.

As far as "superstar" calls, they've always gotten more calls, and I'm fine with that. The "superstars" are almost always more aggressive too.

Poet
11-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Sure, you don't have the Bad Boys cheap shotting people all over the floor, but it hasn't made the game less enjoyable IMO.

As far as "superstar" calls, they've always gotten more calls, and I'm fine with that. The "superstars" are almost always more aggressive too.

It wasn't just the cheap shots, but more physical play in totality, Moseph.

Superstars getting calls is boring to me. It's a crutch. In the playoffs the standard is that if LBJ is driving to the hoop it's almost a guaranteed layup, because anything resembling contact is a foul.