PDA

View Full Version : Rebelrocker's end season- Postseaon predictions

RebelRocker
11-21-2013, 02:27 PM
AFC WEST

Denver 14-2. As long as we keep Manning healthy, I don't see how we lose the division (and the #1 seed, for that matter) to anyone else in the AFC. I do see us losing one more game by either KC/NE or maybe we drop the last game of the season after we've locked up the #1 seed and don't want to risk injury to the starters.

Kansas City 12-4. They're a good team, but they were finally exposed last week. They have a great defense and a good running game, but they don't have the offensive firepower to make a deep playoff run. They're going to be playing either CIN/NE/IND and those teams have enough power to overcome the Chiefs defense.

San Diego 7-9. Solid team, but the remainder of their schedule is tough. I know we all had mixed feelings on McCoy as our OC, but he's really proven to have a midas touch with QB's. Whether he sticks with Rivers or not remains to be seen, but he'll keep that team competitive.

Oakland 6-10. Better than I thought they'd be this year. Allen deserves one more year to get things worked out in Oakland. Despite their improvements, they have to find a QB if they're going to compete with any other team in our division.

AFC NORTH

Cincinnati 10-6. Despite their erratic play, they have enough of a lead in that division to coast their way to a title. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Cincinnati is our toughest competition in the AFC this year. When they're firing on all cylinders, they're a scary team.

Baltimore 7-9. They're not the same team as last year. They simply lost too many key players and their remaining key guys haven't stepped up enough to save the team. It looks like the Flacco deal was a big mistake.

Cleveland 7-9. You gotta give them credit, this team is scrappy. Everybody thought they were tanking the season after trading Trent Richardson, but that trade is looking better every day for the Browns. They have a good group of players in Cleveland and they only need a few more pieces to be a serious contender.

Pittsburgh 6-10. I called it early in the season and I'm staying with this prediction. The Steelers aren't a good team right now and I think they're kidding themselves if they think that keeping an aging, beat up Roethlisberger is better for the long-term than dealing him and getting a young guy in the draft next off-season.

AFC South

Indy 11-5. This team is talented and most importantly, YOUNG. They're developing a great young core of players that can be around for a long time with the Colts. By virtue of having a great QB and being in a horrific division, they walk away with the South title and the #2 seed in the AFC.

Tennessee 6-10. They had a chance this year. They had a good chance to make a playoff run and injuries(and inconsistencies) have blown that chance. I don't know what to think of them because they don't know what to do with themselves. I could see this team going either way. Start over or give it another year? That's the big dilemma for the Titans.

Houston 4-12. What a disappointment they were. My prediction for this team- They clean house of the coaching staff, bring in a high profile coach(Cowher, Gruden, college guy, etc) and use their first pick to get a QB. This team can do what Indy did a few years ago. If they can find a good QB, this team can be back in the playoffs next year.

Jacksonville 2-14. They look awful, but I like the coach and GM they have now. Their situation is similar to the one in Detroit a few years ago. This team needs time to build a new culture and core group of players. Firing coaches after one year won't help that.

AFC East

New England 11-5. They will most likely win that division (shocker) and be the #3 seed. Despite their placing, I'm not convinced this team is a serious playoff threat this year.

Buffalo 9-7. THIS is my shocker pick. I know I'm going to get shit for this, but look at their remaining schedule. They come back from their bye week to play a disappointed Falcons team AT HOME. After that game, their next two games are against the two worst teams in the league in the Jags and Bucs. They then play an erratic Dolphins team at home (think about it, warm weather team travels to Buffalo in the middle of December with a banged up offensive line going against a fierce pass rush and a team that can run the ball very well). They finish the season at New England, but you have to consider by that time, New England will probably have their playoff seed determined and knowing full well that if Buffalo wins, they will play them the following week in Foxboro, so why "show your cards" and play your starters against a hungry Bills team? Judging by their schedule, I think Buffalo can go on a roll and get that #6 seed in the AFC. There's such a mash up of teams vying for that #6 seed right now and all of them have their flaws, but you'd have to think that Buffalo's chances are as good as anybody's right now.

New York 8-8. Better than I thought they'd be, but Geno's too inconsistent this year. They'll find a way to back into the playoffs or blow their chances, but I don't see them rallying to a playoff spot.

Miami 6-10. Yeah, not much to say about the team right now.

AFC PLAYOFF SEEDINGS

1.Denver
2.Indy
3.NE
4.CIN
5.KC
6.BUF

NFC WEST

Seattle 14-2. I'm not scared of many teams, but damn Seattle is a scary matchup for us. Fortunately, we'd play them on a neutral field for the Super Bowl instead of Seattle.

San Fran 10-6. They've had their ups and downs, but they'll get in the playoffs.

Arizona 8-8. Considering the division their in, this team should not be this good. Bruce Arians really is a hell of a coach.

St. Louis 6-10. Injuries really sunk their playoff chances.

NFC NORTH

Detroit 10-6. The win the North, but not without some help.

Chicago 8-8. Solid team and very good coach, but they gotta figure out the QB situation.

Green Bay 8-8. Rodgers doesn't get injured, this division is a different story.

Minnesota 3-13. They were paper tigers last year and it's obvious this year. They're letting some great talent go to waste in Minnesota.

NFC SOUTH

NO 12-4. They'll keep pace and win the division, but I don't know if they'll be the last team standing in this division by season's end.

Carolina 11-5. They're on a roll right now and if there's a wild card team that can make a super bowl run this year, it looks like it'll be the Panthers.

Atlanta 5-11. What happened? Wow

Tampa Bay 3-13. Not much to say about them. They'll probably get a new coach.

NFC EAST

Philly 9-7. Foles is on fire right now and all they need to do is keep pace to win this division.

NY 8-8. Giants will finish strong, but they'll fall short.

Dallas 7-9. Same old story in Dallas. Start strong, wimper at the finish.

Washington 5-11. Shanny might get the axe. They're not looking good right now.

NFC PLAYOFF SEEDINGS

1.Seattle
2.NO
3.Detroit
4.Philly
5.Carolina
6.San Francisco

LawDog
11-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Under your theory / seedings, with Den in the one seed and KC in the five, it is very likely that we would face the Chefs three times this year assuming they beat the Bengals in the wildcard round. Pretty hard to beat the same team three times in a single season, don't know for sure what the outcomes have been for the few times it has occurred in the league. At least we would have that third and final game in our house. Interesting stuff to think about as we move toward the end of the regular season...

Ravage!!!
11-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Under your theory / seedings, with Den in the one seed and KC in the five, it is very likely that we would face the Chefs three times this year assuming they beat the Bengals in the wildcard round. Pretty hard to beat the same team three times in a single season, don't know for sure what the outcomes have been for the few times it has occurred in the league. At least we would have that third and final game in our house. Interesting stuff to think about as we move toward the end of the regular season...

Good point, but I personally would LOVE to face the Chiefs in the second round of the playoffs. Although, I dn't see them beating anyone in the playoffs, and would lose to Cinci in that particular scenario. But I just dont think that KC, right now, has the offensive talent.

Joel
11-21-2013, 06:36 PM
I admire the bravery in making picks before we play KC again, or NE, and before NO plays Carolina at all.

Arrowhead's always tough for us or anyone, even when KC sucks, and they don't this year. It took three full quarters to finish them AT HOME, and I think their D tried to play safe in a road game they could afford to lose. Now they're at home, knowing that won't work and losing all but guarantees us the division: Leave it all on the field. Expect a slugfest testing whether our lines performance last week was a fluke. It IS definitely a winnable game for us if we do the same things equally well (still want more production from the run game, though I'm glad we stuck with it.) Winner earns homefield by right of conquest.

But for the bye, Seattle could practically clinch homefield before Thanksgiving; instead they must wait till they host NO in two weeks. The NFL's not as simple as A>B>C of course, but it's hard to believe a Saints team that barely beat SF at home can win a road game against a Seahawks team that crushed SF. Seattle already beat Carolina, so a win would put them ahead 3 games plus the tiebreak against whoever wins the NFCS, and they're already 3 games up on everyone else: Unless they lost and Carolina/NO won their last four, Seattle would be the #1 seed from that point.

Everyone must do their job every week, but I gotta like Seattle vs. AFCW Champ for the SB, and must side with us everytime we're in the mix. I actually like that matchup, as long as the refs don't keep letting the Legion of Boom cover like it's 1970 and pass interference doesn't exist. It really comes down to our line, but as long as they don't let Avril and Bennett play "meet me at the QB" we should prevail. Beyond that I really don't care how the rest do except that I'd like the Texans and Vikings to draft well (they're doing their part thus far. ;))

Lynch vs. our front four? Edge: Our top five run D that held Jamaal Charles to his lowest production this year.
Wilson vs. our D? Edge: Our excellent secondary and improved pass rush, along with that run D that contained Alex Smith.
Moreno vs. their front four? (Slight) edge: Their average run D still better than the weak Chiefs and Colts D that held our RBs in check.
PFM vs. their D? Edge; HoF QB, two Pro Bowl WRs, excellent #2, lethal TE and a versatile blocking/receiving back. Sherman and Thomas are a good CB and FS, but that's only half a secondary (quarternary...? :confused:)

RebelRocker
11-21-2013, 09:46 PM
I admire the bravery in making picks before we play KC again, or NE, and before NO plays Carolina at all.

Arrowhead's always tough for us or anyone, even when KC sucks, and they don't this year. It took three full quarters to finish them AT HOME, and I think their D tried to play safe in a road game they could afford to lose. Now they're at home, knowing that won't work and losing all but guarantees us the division: Leave it all on the field. Expect a slugfest testing whether our lines performance last week was a fluke. It IS definitely a winnable game for us if we do the same things equally well (still want more production from the run game, though I'm glad we stuck with it.) Winner earns homefield by right of conquest.

But for the bye, Seattle could practically clinch homefield before Thanksgiving; instead they must wait till they host NO in two weeks. The NFL's not as simple as A>B>C of course, but it's hard to believe a Saints team that barely beat SF at home can win a road game against a Seahawks team that crushed SF. Seattle already beat Carolina, so a win would put them ahead 3 games plus the tiebreak against whoever wins the NFCS, and they're already 3 games up on everyone else: Unless they lost and Carolina/NO won their last four, Seattle would be the #1 seed from that point.

Everyone must do their job every week, but I gotta like Seattle vs. AFCW Champ for the SB, and must side with us everytime we're in the mix. I actually like that matchup, as long as the refs don't keep letting the Legion of Boom cover like it's 1970 and pass interference doesn't exist. It really comes down to our line, but as long as they don't let Avril and Bennett play "meet me at the QB" we should prevail. Beyond that I really don't care how the rest do except that I'd like the Texans and Vikings to draft well (they're doing their part thus far. ;))

Lynch vs. our front four? Edge: Our top five run D that held Jamaal Charles to his lowest production this year.
Wilson vs. our D? Edge: Our excellent secondary and improved pass rush, along with that run D that contained Alex Smith.
Moreno vs. their front four? (Slight) edge: Their average run D still better than the weak Chiefs and Colts D that held our RBs in check.
PFM vs. their D? Edge; HoF QB, two Pro Bowl WRs, excellent #2, lethal TE and a versatile blocking/receiving back. Sherman and Thomas are a good CB and FS, but that's only half a secondary (quarternary...? :confused:)

I admire your bravery in writing long, drawn out posts that none of us care to read. Apparently you didn't read my post thoroughly. I clearly stated that our other loss this year could come against KC or NE.

Joel
11-21-2013, 10:47 PM
I admire your bravery in writing long, drawn out posts that none of us care to read. Apparently you didn't read my post thoroughly. I clearly stated that our other loss this year could come against KC or NE.
The only way KC finishes 12-4 is if we beat them, and I wouldn't bet on it then. The Colts might beat them (though they won't be at home or have Reggie Wayne and four turnovers,) and the Bolts might take one, but where's #4? Exposed or not, the rest of their schedule is garbage. I hope we beat them so it doesn't matter; otherwise we likely spend Wildcard Weekend @Indy or Cincy playing for another trip to Arrowhead.

MOtorboat
11-21-2013, 11:21 PM
The only way KC finishes 12-4 is if we beat them, and I wouldn't bet on it then.

So assuming Denver is going beat those teams and only lose 2 games is "brave," but assuming the ONLY way KC loses 4 games is if they lose to Denver is somehow fact?

Did you get your Alex Smith jersey yet?

Joel
11-22-2013, 12:25 AM
So assuming Denver is going beat those teams and only lose 2 games is "brave," but assuming the ONLY way KC loses 4 games is if they lose to Denver is somehow fact?

Did you get your Alex Smith jersey yet?
Who beast 'em three times? Indy, SD once and...? 4-6 Bolts gonna sweep 'em? 4-6 Raiders win at home? RGIII hobbles out and leads the 3-7 'Skins to a home win? Any team can beat any team on any given Sunday, but if KC beats us they'd have to lose to Indy and blow not one but TWO games to end up 12-4.

Final predictions before probably the two biggest games of the year (Denver@KC and NO@Seattle) are brave. Especially since Seattle still has to visit SF and New Orleans has to play Carolina home and away. Calling all the final records and playoff seeding now takes cajones. I'm not saying it won't happen (and there was some hedging on NO,) but a lot of unknowns have to break exactly as predicted.