PDA

View Full Version : I finally surrendered. I joined EBAY!

Requiem / The Dagda
11-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Since I'm working on starting a mini-studio/recording place with a few of my friends, I figured getting some used stuff for some good deals on EBAY might be a way to go. I saw an amp that I've played at a local music shop in Alexandria, MN that's 650 dollars retail for a little over $125.00 right now with my bid (it'll go up for sure) but honestly, if I can half retail value on some of my purchases, I'll come out good.

Any of you guys use EBAY?

Got any tips to being a successful bidder? :)

Jody
11-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Since I'm working on starting a mini-studio/recording place with a few of my friends, I figured getting some used stuff for some good deals on EBAY might be a way to go. I saw an amp that I've played at a local music shop in Alexandria, MN that's 650 dollars retail for a little over $125.00 right now with my bid (it'll go up for sure) but honestly, if I can half retail value on some of my purchases, I'll come out good.

Any of you guys use EBAY?

Got any tips to being a successful bidder? :)

Yep. Don't bid until the very last 30 minutes of the bid. Otherwise, 1)you just may be raising the price over the amount you want to pay by bidding against yourself in a way.
2) You are letting other bidders know YOU are interested and they will watch and compete with your bids - viciously so. 3) Know your top dollar (keep shipping in mind), so you don't get carried away with the bidding process.

champbronc2
11-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Yep. Don't bid until the very last 30 minutes of the bid. Otherwise, 1)you just may be raising the price over the amount you want to pay by bidding against yourself in a way.
2) You are letting other bidders know YOU are interested and they will watch and compete with your bids - viciously so. 3) Know your top dollar (keep shipping in mind), so you don't get carried away with the bidding process.
I use eBay too.

Those tipes are about right.

Also, NEVER DO MYSTERY AUCTIONS!!! YOU WILL ALWAYS LOOSE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!
I lost $20 on those dang things...

I won 5 cents once... that's it...

Also you can get some nice Broncos jerseys. Just type in "Broncos XX"

For the XX put the size jersey you would wear. Ex: "Broncos 48" (I wear size 48 which is = to AM)

50=AL
52=AXL
etc...

ANd the A is for adult hehe

SR
11-27-2007, 08:31 AM
I proxy bid. It's the easiest way not to spend more than you want or get in to bidding wars with other people.

Find an object you want to buy, and in the place a bid block, put the most you'll spend on that item in that block.

Say you're buying an amp and the price starts out at $50 but you won't spend more than $300. Put $300 in the bid block. The bid won't just shoot up to $300. All it does is, say someone starts bidding and they bid $55. Since you put $300 for your bid, it will automatically outbid anyone who bids against you until it surpasses your max bid or sells. Sometimes I bid on things and forget to check back. Most recently I bought the Band of Brothers box set. I set my proxy to $80 and it ended up selling for like $65 or something close to that. I totally forgot I even bid until I checked my e-mail and saw the Pay Pal invoice.

anton...
11-27-2007, 09:14 AM
why fight nature??

ebay is the natural way...
________
Laguna Heights Condo Wong Amat (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

OB
11-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I always use paypal and only purchase from people with high ratings and lots of sales - most of my purchases have been small although I got my psp and my laptop from ebay and have been completely satisfied

I even double bid on something and won them both and the one that had the highest bid, the seller obliged me and put it back up for sale - i said if it didnt sell or sell for the same I would make up the difference - they just put it back on and I havent heard from them since

Just remember - if its too good to be true - it prolly is a scam - and be careful when buying from a foreign country - (esp AUS - LOL j/k anton) but the prices are different (although it converts it into US dollars for you) and the shipping is usually way high

I did buy the whole series - seasons 1-6 - of the Sopranos from some dude in Japan for only $99.00 - Brand new - in English - DVDs work great

Im only at a 92 or something but I have always had a good experience there

I would like to try and sell instead of doing a yard sale or w.e but never have the time to get it set up

schnooks1
11-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Ebay Rocks!! I have been a member since August of 98. At first I would read horror stories about people getting scammed but I personally have NEVER had an issue. It is the only way to go!!

You can find absolutly ANYTHING on ebay, but that doens't mean you will find the best price. My husband looks for electronics, and such.. and has gotten great deals in the past.

I shop for my child. Clothes are so expensive brand new, but you can buy the brand named "gently used" clothes, let your child wear them a year or two and put them back on ebay and get all, and sometimes more of your money back.

You will have fun.. you do have to check each rating.. and always e-mail before you bid if you have a question. We have a pretty high rating as I buy and sell so it is 1160 but even if it is a low number, you can tell by the people that respond if they are quick to ship or if things arrive in good condition as described.

Just be careful, read everything in the listing and ask questions!! It is great fun!!

Kapaibro
11-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Block bidding is great, I got my phone that way.

The exchange rate isn't an issue for me, as the USD is weaker than an half drowned kitten!

Do check ratings. Do use paypal(this gives you some fall back if the s**t hits the fan).
Do leave feedback.

I have bought, phone, memory card for said phone, usb cable for same phone, NFL jerseys, MLB cards, and a signed mini-helmet(so funny cos when I went into the store in Denver, they remembered sending the helmet to me in Spain), a copy of British Vogue I have been looking for for 8 years, and other stuff!

It is very very good!

Den21vsBal19
11-27-2007, 03:43 PM
A friend of mine bought a DVD box set off ebay, that was advertised as Brand New In Box for about $120, when it arrived it was a bunch of copies :mad:

It took a whiles, but he has got his money back from Paypal, so it's well worthwhile.

I've got a few bit's & bob's off there over the last year, a Vox Brian May amp, paid about $10 for the Odyssey 5 box set and best of all $10, for an orange TD jersey :rockon:

Just keep your wits about you, use a payment method such as paypal which offers some protection, and as has been said, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.........

And never look back, you'll only get annoyed if & when you see it go for less than you paid ;)

Requiem / The Dagda
11-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks a lot you guys. :)

sneakers
11-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Ebay is a wonderful thing...I make about 35% of my income off of it :D I don't think anyone would like what I am selling unless you are huge dork....like me.

here's me: http://myworld.ebay.com/1sneakers6/

Kapaibro
11-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Have you bought anything yet?