PDA

View Full Version : Brian Dawkins spoke with the media on 09Sep9

Lonestar
09-09-2009, 07:10 PM
SAFETY BRIAN DAWKINS

On the Bengals having two home-run threats at wide receiver
"(They have) more than two. They have a stable over there of good receivers. (They) can go downtown and create yards after catch, so we have our hands cutout. This is what you live for as a defensive back, the opportunity to stand up against one of the league's best tandems. Add more than just two to that equation, like I just said. It is always a challenge that you as a defensive back need to stand up and welcome."

On the Bengals being a reenergized team
"I think just the fact of having so many guys back playing healthy once again. Obviously, the number one guy is (Cincinnati QB Carson) Palmer being back there at the helm. That just changes that whole team's mindset, I believe, as far as a confidence factor goes. You know what he can do with the ball. He can put it where it needs to be, and then he has two weapons, like we talked about earlier, to get outside. Defensively, we played them last year in (Philadelphia), and they did a good job against us turning the ball over. We know we have our hands cutout offensively and defensively. It is going to be a huge challenge for us."

On if he will play without his hand wrapped at Cincinnati on Sunday
"Not quite yet. It is not quite ready yet for the physical game. Practice is a lot different than a game as far as physicality goes. It is not quite yet."

On his excitement for Sunday's season opener
"The first week is always exciting. It is always an exciting time no matter where you are in your career. It should be anyway. You should jump up for it. Obviously, this is my first year being here, first time suiting up in the regular season for this team with my teammates here, so I am definitely jacked up for this one to get this thing rolling, to see what we are going to be about, to see if we can capitalize on the opportunities that are going to come and make sure that the mistakes that we made during the preseason were just preseason mistakes and that we can carry on and play some ball."

On his ability to play with a wrapped hand
"I can do everything I need to do. My hands are not the best as it is without the glove. I will be able to adjust and do whatever I need to do with the football. As far as tackling, I can do what I need to do."

On playing in the preseason
"You still need your games, and that was a great opportunity for me to come in and play against Chicago to get that rust off if I had any, to get to game speed and the intensity where I need it to be. I felt great, so I don't look for anything to hinder me or hamper me as preparation goes for this first game. I think everybody needs a touch of it, just to get used to the contact. It's a little different than training camp practices, tackling to the ground and all that good stuff. You need those couple of reps here and there in the preseason to make sure you are ready to roll and running full speed when the regular season hits."

On what the Broncos need to do to be successful this season
"The first thing you have to do is have confidence in the systems and schemes being put in. You have to have that, and I believe we do have that. I can't speak for the offensive side of the ball, but defensively, it is about knowing your assignment, owning your assignment and making that assignment yours. What I mean by that is that you are not just going out and doing what the playbook says. You can move around and do disguises when you know where I am supposed to be at. If you are guessing where you are supposed to be at, you are not going to move around as much. As far as personalities go, we have a great group of guys over there. We jell. We jelled mightily in this short period of time. I don't see anything that is going to hinder us or hamper us from going out and playing the type of defense that we want to play. As a team, period, but especially defensively."

On how emotional he gets on gameday
"That has always been me. When I touch the football field, I play with my emotions on my shoulders. Whatever I feel like doing, I do. Not to show up anybody, but I have a great time on the football field. I am blessed to do what I do for a living, and I enjoy it. Whatever energy I have on that day is going to be given completely and fully on the field for my teammates. A lot of guys have probably heard about me on the football field and the way that I am, but it's a different thing when you see me. That is just who I am. That is who I have always been."

On taking on a leadership role with the Broncos
"I am a blessed man first of all. I am a blessed man of God. I am anointed to do what I do, on and off the football field. That in itself allows me to receive different conversation that I have because a lot of it is not about football. We talk about a whole bunch of different things. I have been blessed to play this game for a long time, and through those times, I have been able to overcome and see some situations and fall into some situations where I can help younger guys. Guys welcome that, and I am always open to conversations."

jrelway
09-09-2009, 08:11 PM
cant wait to see dawkins light someone up.

Lonestar
09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
cant wait to see dawkins light someone up.

Yep KO talked about him in his presser and said he just glad he is not playing against him anymore.. high praise from a teammate..

I missed the john Lynch days as well as Steve Atwater and Dennis smith days..

where you went over the middle and had alligator arms. because you knew you were gonna get the crap knocked out of you..

lets see if Dawk and Bruton can do that this year..

muse
09-10-2009, 07:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83JV4xyVYA8

Heh. Good memory from the last game.