PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Team Captains Announced

ikillz0mbies
09-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Didn't see this posted on here yet so I might as well post it.

http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2009/09/09/looking-at-the-2009-captains/1303/

Looking at the 2009 captains
September 9th, 2009, 4:39 pm · Post a Comment · posted by Frank Schwab

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels announced the team's seven captains for this season: Quarterback Kyle Orton, center Casey Wiegmann, tight end Daniel Graham, linebacker Wesley Woodyard, linebacker Mario Haggan, cornerback Champ Bailey and safety Brian Dawkins. The players voted on the captains.

Bailey and Graham are repeats, and it's no surprise they made it again. Neither are very vocal, but are great players and very respected in the locker room. Wiegmann is the same way - a rock solid veteran who every player can look up to.

Orton and Dawkins were voted captains just months after they got to Denver. That says a lot about their leadership, to win over the locker room so quickly.

"That obviously speaks to how they interact with their teammates, how they lead their teammates on the field, what they do when they're not on the field, how they conduct themselves as far as their preparation," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "They're both in here early and out of here late, and take care of their bodies and do all the right things. That's recognizable when you're around them all day long."

Dawkins' inclusion as a captain wasn't a surprise even though he hasn't been here long. He is a natural leader, and said his spirituality draws younger teammates to have conversions with him about life outside the game.

"A lot of it is not about football," Dawkins said. "We talk about a whole bunch of different things."

Woodyard and Haggan were a bit surprising as captain choices, but it speaks to their leadership behind the scenes. Woodyard was unexpected because he is in only his second year and unlike the other six captains, does not enter the season as a starter.

Bailey and Dawkins as captains shouldn't be a surprise. Neither should be Weigmann. Orton being voted as captain says a lot about his presence in the locker room. It's great to see Woodyard being voted as captain. The guy is a hell of a player in only his second year and he's already a captain. Says a lot of what his teammates say of him.

Nightwolf
09-09-2009, 06:24 PM
thats a surprise there: Orton? hmmm, not for nothing, i like the guy but I call shenanigans

drewloc
09-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I really hope that Woodyard can take over the starting spot from Andra Davis. That would be sweet!

Requiem / The Dagda
09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Mario Haggan? wow. Congratulations to them all.

EMB6903
09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
WTF is Eddie Royal?

talk about a pro's pro... Eddie is everything you'd want in a football player on and off the field.... Im very surprised to not see him on this list....

frauschieze
09-09-2009, 06:37 PM
If we finished an awesome season in 08 and McDaniels dismantled a good team, or this was the end of a really bad McDaniels-led 4 win season, then I'd understand why people constantly find ways to rip the coach. Neither has happened. As is, we sucked last year and McD blew up the team and what little we've seen looks better. So the people that constantly rip the coach, the QB, the draft picks and the team in general at every turn are not good fans; They're trolls. I stand by that. They're trolls who are too busy dry humping a picture of Shanahan/Cutler and bitter about their departure they won't wait until an actual product hits the field to resort to pathetic name-calling and pessimistic whining.

I think you are lost.

Lonestar
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM
WTF is Eddie Royal?

talk about a pro's pro... Eddie is everything you'd want in a football player on and off the field.... Im very surprised to not see him on this list....

maybe not vocal enough..

some may not have wanted to stick that in marshalls face..

Ravage!!!
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM
If we finished an awesome season in 08 and McDaniels dismantled a good team, or this was the end of a really bad McDaniels-led 4 win season, then I'd understand why people constantly find ways to rip the coach. Neither has happened. As is, we sucked last year and McD blew up the team and what little we've seen looks better. So the people that constantly rip the coach, the QB, the draft picks and the team in general at every turn are not good fans; They're trolls. I stand by that. They're trolls who are too busy dry humping a picture of Shanahan/Cutler and bitter about their departure they won't wait until an actual product hits the field to resort to pathetic name-calling and pessimistic whining.

Hmmm... now I'm calling shanannigans

EMB6903
09-09-2009, 06:41 PM
maybe not vocal enough..

some may not have wanted to stick that in marshalls face..

ya I cant see Eddie Royal being the vocal type of guy... but dudes work ethic and production speaks for itself... Hes a perfectionist on the football field.

broncofaninfla
09-09-2009, 06:42 PM
I like seeing Woodyard and Hagan on this list.

Nightwolf
09-09-2009, 06:42 PM

assumed this was directed at me

I had no problem with Shanahan being let go, Cutler's trade imo could be a blessing or a kick in the nuts, and the picks were fine with me, lets just hope we get it right with them

I said that about Orton because I think that this was a case of "let the QB carry the C" but it's just my opinion

Lonestar
09-09-2009, 06:43 PM
ya I cant see Eddie Royal being the vocal type of guy... but dudes work ethic and production speaks for itself... Hes a perfectionist on the football field.

but he may not be a leader either. IIRC ROd did not get it till later in his career..

Maybe he just wants to be part of the solution and not the problem..

one can also lead by doing the right thing..

I like this kid..

Kaylore
09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Guys I put that in the wrong thread. That's my bad. It was in the wrong thread and I deleted the post but it was too late and I apologize for derailing the thread.

I'm pleased to see the team captains are all upstanding individuals. Carry on. :D

Lonestar
09-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Guys I put that in the wrong thread. That's my bad. It was in the wrong thread and I deleted the post but it was too late and I apologize for derailing the thread.

I'm pleased to see the team captains are all upstanding individuals. Carry on. :D

anymore mistakes like that will get you banned back to the mane.. or kiddie ville.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

T.K.O.
09-09-2009, 07:15 PM

eddie will be way too tired from getting 150 yds a game to be a vocal leader on the field....he's gonna be chuggin gatorade and suckin' oxygen !!!!!!

MOtorboat
09-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Can you repost it, so I can Salute it and High-Five it?

P.S. Go Team Captains!

broncohead
09-09-2009, 08:28 PM
thats a surprise there: Orton? hmmm, not for nothing, i like the guy but I call shenanigans

QBs are usually natural leaders.

Nomad
09-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Let's hope Dawkins brings to this team what its been lacking for years......leadership.

Nightwolf
09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
QBs are usually natural leaders.

lets hope so, our leader better step up

Lonestar
09-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Let's hope Dawkins brings to this team what its been lacking for years......leadership.

just one John Lynch was here before the mope brothers were hired last season..

Superchop 7
09-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Our secondary voted for Orton.

Made them look good in practice.

MOtorboat
09-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Oh joy. Trolls.

Go root for the Bears.

JPPT1974
09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Sounds good as they know how to pick captains indeed!

BCJ
09-09-2009, 09:42 PM
What no Brandon marshall, the flava clown? Ok, I kid but I thought maybe Stokely would get a nod for the wide receivers just based on saving BM from a fine/penalty in last year's game when he wanted to pull out some stupid Obama prop. For him to stop him in middle of his Me-ism was top notch, first class, captain-like material.

pipes
09-10-2009, 12:32 AM

I'm not surprised at all about Orton.
He's always been known as a true professional and a true "team guy".
Say what you want about his lack of physical tools especially in comparison to the QB that he is taking over for.... but his leadership and mentality is light years above Cutler's.

(I bring up Cutler because he was a two time team captain in Denver)

p.s. I was surprised that two LB's got the nod over DJ who was a captain last year.

-also somewhat surprised that Brandon Stokley wasn't tabbed as a captain.... he's been pretty vocal this past offseason and is an extremely hard worker.

Dirk
09-10-2009, 05:47 AM
I am surprised with the Woodyard and Haggan choices but they see them up close and personal and interact with them. So they know more about their individual qualities when voting.

All hail the Captains! Just keep the boat afloat! :D

G_Money
09-10-2009, 08:46 AM
That's mah boy, Woodyard. :salute: I'm still leery of our LB corps being a good fit for our D, but I'm hoping to see Woodyard on the field and makin plays again this year.

~G