PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning out at Broncos practice; Michael Huff, John Boyett debut

Denver Native (Carol)
11-20-2013, 02:23 PM
For the fifth time of 2013 — and of his Broncos career — Peyton Manning was not present at the team's practice on Wednesday. The quarterback has been battling ankle issues, although he's yet to miss a game.

Also missing from Wednesday's practice were tight ends Julius Thomas and Joel Dreessen and receiver Wes Welker. Thomas is day-to-day with a knee injury, and Welker is battling a neck injury and a concussion. Both players sustained their injuries during Sunday's victory over Kansas City.

Due to his concussion, Welker must be cleared both by the Broncos' physicians and an independent physician before returning to practice. There is no standard timetable for returning; every player is different.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24563450/peyton-manning-out-at-broncos-practice-michael-huff

claymore
11-20-2013, 02:39 PM
No way Welker misses Sunday's game.

GEM
11-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Huh...first I have heard of a neck injury. :(

Dzone
11-20-2013, 03:23 PM
This guy Boyett sounds like a jerk.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237531/article/colts-cut-john-boyett-after-arrest-on-multiple-charges

LawDog
11-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Huh...first I have heard of a neck injury. :( Reports on Welker said he was first evaluated during the game for his neck, then went back into game and caught a pass, then displayed symptoms of concussion so was immediately pulled per league protocol. As for the article, I think they are just being overly inclusive - and the use of the word "battling" is odd because they are just following the protocol with no indication Welker is actually having issues. The protocol involves evaluation over time prior to being cleared to return so his missing practice today was probably inevitable.

Also:
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/565386-Wes-Welker-was-evaluated-for-neck-injury-and-concussion

CoachChaz
11-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Actually, my son's concussion was similar. You have a "kite" muscle that starts on your skull goes through your neck and into your back. A blow to that part of the muscle where it connects to the skull can cause a concussion and pain down to the neck and shoulders.

BroncoWave
11-20-2013, 07:36 PM
No way Welker misses Sunday's game.

This is like his 4th concussion or something in his career. Would not shock me if he misses it. At this point he is seriously risking being screwed up for life post-football if he rushes back. I hope like hell he plays Sunday, but if he isn't 100% he should sit it out.

Joel
11-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Actually, my son's concussion was similar. You have a "kite" muscle that starts on your skull goes through your neck and into your back. A blow to that part of the muscle where it connects to the skull can cause a concussion and pain down to the neck and shoulders.
This explains so much; thanks.

This is like his 4th concussion or something in his career. Would not shock me if he misses it. At this point he is seriously risking being screwed up for life post-football if he rushes back. I hope like hell he plays Sunday, but if he isn't 100% he should sit it out.
These days it's not ultimately up to him, any more than it was for Harris in the second half against Dallas. If the doctors clear him I have no doubt he'll play; it's doubtful the year he's having in Denver has soothed his feelings over how Belicheat jerked him around. Confronting their banged up D with four top receivers (or just three if Ninkovich playing as in our last three meetings forces us to keep a TE blocking) while Brady must make due with Gronk, Edelman and a scrub to be named later would be the sweetest revenge (short of doing it again in Denver in the playoffs, or better yet an AFCCG.)

SR
11-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Joel you forgot Amendola.

New England's passing attack has looked better since Gronk and Amendola returned but that game against Carolina really makes me feel like they're not as good as their record indicates. If Denver's offensive game plan is aggressive enough, I think Denver will pull ahead early and allow the defense to pin their ears back and go after Brady.

But let us not forget, personal opinion of the guy aside, Tom Brady is still their QB.