PDA

View Full Version : Broncos are Top Gun in AFC with quick, not deep, aerial assault

Denver Native (Carol)
11-19-2013, 08:09 PM
What's fascinating me about the Broncos' offense — this Maverick-Goose-Jester-Iceman conglomeration of an aerial assault — is that the ball actually isn't in the air that much.

Quick zips. Peyton Manning Alex Smith'd Alex Smith's team on Sunday, once again thriving on short passes. This ain't the old days of heaving it to Marvin Harrison.

The reason the Broncos are flourishing is Manning's reliance on accurate darts to methodically move down field.

Is it because of the ankle — and the universal fear of him holding to the ball too long?

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci_24557405/broncos-peyton-manning-top-gun-afc-quick

atwater27
11-19-2013, 10:38 PM
I do want to know what you guys and gals think of the lack of vertical passing in this offense. Is it because Payton lacks the arm strength? Is it because our guys (except for Thomas) just don't have deep speed? Or is it all by design because it is effective? I honestly don't know whether I should be worried or not that we don't have vertical potential in this offense.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-19-2013, 10:43 PM
I do want to know what you guys and gals think of the lack of vertical passing in this offense. Is it because Payton lacks the arm strength? Is it because our guys (except for Thomas) just don't have deep speed? Or is it all by design because it is effective? I honestly don't know whether I should be worried or not that we don't have vertical potential in this offense.

I really never followed Peyton when he was with the Colts, but was vertical passing part of his game there?

Davii
11-19-2013, 10:45 PM
I think we do have vertical potential, and I don't think there is anything wrong with Peyton's arm. I remember two go routes last game and Peyton overthrew them both.

He takes what the D gives him...

SR
11-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Peyton doesn't have any arm strength problems. I just think the stick with what the defenses give them. Peyton knows what the defense is going to do before they do most times.

Hawgdriver
11-20-2013, 12:41 AM
I think he has to load up a bit, but it's not that the deep ball isn't there if it's available.

CoachChaz
11-20-2013, 09:10 AM
He's 37 years old. His arm isnt going to be what it was 10 years ago, but I still think he can chuck it if need be. If it ain't broke...

Ravage!!!
11-20-2013, 12:29 PM
I think we do have vertical potential, and I don't think there is anything wrong with Peyton's arm. I remember two go routes last game and Peyton overthrew them both.

He takes what the D gives him...

This. The reason the underneath stuff is there, is because they are scared of the speed we have across the board. Throw in the fact that DT and Decker are big, bumping at the LoS will get you beat, and Manning knows how to hit the precise routes on the cover-1.

I think we DO have a verticle game, but teams are TRYING to make us earn it rather than hitting the home run with our big WRs. It makes sense on their side to try and keep the underside and short stuff in front and then make the tackle. But, right now, we have been taking the short passes on BIG gaines, and that is because we have a QB that can diagnose better than anyone.

slim
11-20-2013, 01:35 PM
I seem to remember a deep ball to DT last week that was perfectly thrown. He willl throw it if it's there.

Ravage!!!
11-20-2013, 01:36 PM
I seem to remember a deep ball to DT last week that was perfectly thrown. He willl throw it if it's there.

That was a beautiful pass, too.

claymore
11-20-2013, 02:30 PM

I thought it was a mix of arm strength, and protection. Protection being the main issue.

GEM
11-20-2013, 02:45 PM

The deeper throws by Manning are hit or miss, either they're really pretty or gotdamn they are ugly. I think they have figured that out and found ways around that fact that still make the team successful.

Joel
11-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Outside commercials, no one's ever claimed Manning has a cannon, but he's not noodle-armed either. The decline in long throws is likely a combination of several factors:

1) Since (at least) the Colts game, DBs have been pressing our WRs at the line; it doesn't matter how far Manning throws it if they can't get there, and he'll throw it where they are.
2) Protection's been inconsistent, so he can't count on it even when it IS good; he clearly rushed one of those short screens to DT early in the KC game, and I suspect that's why.
3) Most power's from legs and hips, not arm, and that poor protection's led to taped ankles; if he can't step into throws and follow through the ball won't travel, hence scrutiny of how well he throws off his back foot.

The other point to note is running to establish the pass only works when teams establish the RUN in the process: As long as we're running 36 times/game but only averaging 2.9 yds/carry opponents can sell out on the pass, secure in the knowledge our run won't hurt them if they guess wrong. We got just enough to keep a bad run D honest last week, but that won't cut it against a GOOD run D.

Yet if Clark and Co. maintain the protection they provided against KC, and refs flag the "bump and bump" 15 yds downfield like THEY did against KC, the deep balls should return (as they occasionally did last week.) Our receivers must simply fight through jams extended enough to make the Grateful Dead blush, and make CBs pay; that's the quickest way to make them back off and let us play. Manning doesn't lack strength or accuracy: He lacks opportunity, security and vitality.

Cugel
11-20-2013, 06:36 PM
One big factor is that Peyton is not very mobile and it just doesn't make a lot of sense to have him a sitting target back in the pocket, running a lot of slow developing plays like a 40 yard pass play.

And it's not when Demaryius Thoms can break a 70 yard run after the catch on a 4 yard screen pass.

Why take chances on getting Peyton wracked up?

In addition, most defenses don't want to let Peyton throw over the top on them because Thomas and Decker can burn them long. Most defenses play some kind of zone with deep safety coverage to prevent any Broncos receivers from getting behind them.

The Chiefs were an exception to that last game. They were trying to clamp down on the receivers close to the line, and playing tight man coverages downfield. Well, we saw what happens when you do that. Long pass down the sideline to Thomas and it's off to the races.

They backed off that defense and went to playing more of a conventional zone after getting burned.

I expect more teams will watch the tape of that and conclude "there's nothing wrong with Peyton's arm, so why give him a deep pass?"

Finally, making a low percentage throw downfield is mostly useful to compensate for the fact that most QBs can't put together a 10-15 play drive composed of exclusively 5-10 yard passes.

The entire bend-but-don't-break defensive philosophy depends on the idea that if you make the offense move down the field in small chunks and don't let them have the big play, they will inevitably stall out. The QB will miss an open WR, the receiver will drop the ball, there'll be a penalty. Something will happen to stop the drive.

And with most QBs that's true. With Peyton it's just not. If the defense does not make plays he'll score TDs just about every time. They have to stop him. He's not going to stop himself.

So, why take risks? Why push the ball when you don't have to?

Why would this even be an issue for a team that is threatening to break the single season all time NFL scoring record? What more could anybody want than that?

More excitement as Peyton wings it like Joe Flacco? How's that working out for the Ravens this season?

Slick
11-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Two great posts. Well done Joel and Cugel.

broncofaninfla
11-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Denver is 9-1, whatever they're doing is obviously working. DT is a threat to take it the distance everytime he touches the ball and Decker, Welker and J Thomas have proven to be threats after the catch too. Denver leads the league in offense with record numbers. To even mention they don't go deep enough is moronic.