PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos can lose next week now, right?

sneakers
11-19-2013, 01:13 AM
And still have total control for #1 seed now that New England has lost again.

so they can lose next week and win at KC, and still be the #1 seed.

right?

right?

Davii
11-19-2013, 01:16 AM
No. Ok, yes, but no.

sneakers
11-19-2013, 01:27 AM
No. Ok, yes, but no.

****!

Poet
11-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Win the next two games and then presto, you're locked in. Which, as another poster pointed out to me, puts Cincinnati in a decent spot to get the two seed. :lol:

CrazyHorse
11-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Win the next two games and then presto, you're locked in. Which, as another poster pointed out to me, puts Cincinnati in a decent spot to get the two seed. :lol:

No, 11-5 doesn't guarantee the 1 seed. I remember you thought the Bengals wouldn't make the playoffs this year too. The KC game is much more important as far as seeding goes. If we split they need to lose at least one more game for us to win the tiebreaker on strength of schedule.

DenBronx
11-19-2013, 07:04 AM
If we lose and KC wins then we will go to 5th seed. We are 1st seed now but would still like to see KC lose more games and us win out.

We play IN New England then IN Kansas City. So two back to back important games. Right now we are in control of our own destiny.

BroncoWave
11-19-2013, 07:09 AM
If we lose and KC wins then we will go to 5th seed. We are 1st seed now but would still like to see KC lose more games and us win out.

We play IN New England then IN Kansas City. So two back to back important games. Right now we are in control of our own destiny.

His point is, even if we lose next week we still control our own destiny. Assuming KC wins next week and we lose, they would be 10-1 heading into that game and we would be 9-2. We beat them, and we are both 10-2. If we win out then (and our last 4 games are really easy), then the 1 seed is ours.

So to answer the thread question, yes, we still control our own destiny for the 1 seed if we lose next week.

Dzone
11-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Patriots suck, and they have Mcdaniels...plus, they just got beat last night in a bad way...we are going to wipe them out 35-24

BroncoWave
11-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Patriots suck, and they have Mcdaniels...plus, they just got beat last night in a bad way...we are going to wipe them out 35-24

They are also going to be pissed off and motivated for this game. And we could be without Welker. I don't think this is going to be a cakewalk at all. We struggle against TEs so we REALLY need to find a way to contain Gronk.

VonDoom
11-19-2013, 09:19 AM
They are also going to be pissed off and motivated for this game. And we could be without Welker. I don't think this is going to be a cakewalk at all. We struggle against TEs so we REALLY need to find a way to contain Gronk.

Agreed. I think this is the hardest game all year. It's not as much of a "must" win as I had once thought, but it would sure help. If we lose, then the Chiefs game in KC essentially becomes that must win game. Win them both and we can start the party.

CoachChaz
11-19-2013, 09:36 AM
I never bought the whole "they are going to be angry they lost and that emotion is going to motivate them to beat us" theory. If they were so pissed off, I'd think they would playa little better in the game they just lost. Their defense doesnt scare me at all. I see no problem putting up 30+ on them. The key is keeping them from scoring more.

atwater27
11-19-2013, 09:37 AM

We are NOT going to contain Gronk, I can guarantee that. And we proabably will get tore up by Vereen out of the backfield as well. And if those to guys are successful, it means Dobson and others will be poised for big plays as well. This will be a shootout, plain and simple.

OrangeHoof
11-19-2013, 10:24 AM
If we lose to NE, we have two conference losses and then a loss at Arrowhead puts us in a huge hole. KC only has one tough game after us and that is the Colts, who seem to be imploding since they lost Reggie Wayne.

Plus there will still be the psychological edge the Pats will have if we have to go Foxboro in the playoffs. I don't think we have a cushion to lose either game.

GEM
11-19-2013, 10:43 AM
**** NO! Losing, what is this losing you speak of?

Foot on the throat. Don't let off.

BroncoJoe
11-19-2013, 10:48 AM
I think the Chargers will give the Chiefs all they can handle this weekend.

Ravage!!!
11-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Their defense doesnt scare me at all. I see no problem putting up 30+ on them.

You said the same thing about the Chiefs game.

Ravage!!!
11-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Eh.. I don't know. The Chargers aren't ver good, and the Chiefs looked to be better than I've given them credit for. Their offense isn't very good, but neither is SDs. I think the Chiefs win that game.

CoachChaz
11-19-2013, 11:02 AM
You said the same thing about the Chiefs game.

I called 31-17...and if we dont settle for that last FG...I would have nailed it. And realistically...if we didnt play ball control the last 7 minutes, we could have scored more.

That all being said...the Pats defense is NOT the Chiefs defense

BigDaddyBronco
11-19-2013, 11:28 AM
The Pats are pretty beat up on the defense right now. If the injuries in the secondary keep any more of them out of the game they are going to have to blitz heavy to keep us from picking them apart. I think we should be able to put up 30 on them.

PatriotsGuy
11-19-2013, 12:16 PM
The Pats are pretty beat up on the defense right now. If the injuries in the secondary keep any more of them out of the game they are going to have to blitz heavy to keep us from picking them apart. I think we should be able to put up 30 on them.

This

Joel
11-19-2013, 12:21 PM
No, 11-5 doesn't guarantee the 1 seed. I remember you thought the Bengals wouldn't make the playoffs this year too. The KC game is much more important as far as seeding goes. If we split they need to lose at least one more game for us to win the tiebreaker on strength of schedule.
I believe SoV would give it to us, but yeah, the NE game is almost irrelevant for us now: Beat KC again and we probably win the division no matter what; if they beat us THEY probably win the division no matter what. The only good news from Carolinas win is that whoever wins the AFCW is all but guaranteed playoff homefield. The only practical way NE could get it now is if they AND KC beat us, Indy AND SD beat KC AND Cincy beats Indy. That's potentially big, because previously we were in a situation where losing EITHER of our next two games would've made the winner the likely #1 seed (or just KC if we lost BOTH.)

In terms of our division though, like you say, @NE is a small matter. If we won but KC beat us they'd be +2; we'd have to win the rest (doable,) then hope Indy AND SD beat KC at least twice (unlikely.) If WE beat KC again we'd be tied but have the first tiebreak even if NE beat us.

I like us in next weeks game, FWIW. The Pats offense is hard to slow, yes, but so is ours, especially since NE has three defensive starters out for the year. As long as their backup offensive tackle doesn't cheap shot Phillips and Ayers out of the game like he did one of the Panthers, I think we'll be OK. Could be interesting so see if we move Harris back to the slot to play Gronk since their WRs are pretty average (Edelman's fast, but I believe DRC's faster.) Unless they're just run over I think Woodyard and Trevathan can handle Vereen and a #3-4 TE, and I think we can contain if not control their run (but maybe not as well as we did KCs.)

The big game is still the Arrowhead rematch though; win that and we're the #1 seed whatever happens in NE.

Poet
11-19-2013, 02:32 PM

I didn't, and still think we're overrated, which is way I was laughing in the post.

DenBronx
11-19-2013, 04:34 PM
His point is, even if we lose next week we still control our own destiny. Assuming KC wins next week and we lose, they would be 10-1 heading into that game and we would be 9-2. We beat them, and we are both 10-2. If we win out then (and our last 4 games are really easy), then the 1 seed is ours.

So to answer the thread question, yes, we still control our own destiny for the 1 seed if we lose next week.

In that case we would still be #1 but we would have to beat KC again for that to happen. If we lose against the Pats and KC wins next week then KC would take #1 again until we beat them.

I would rather us win both of those games. The Pats game especially.

BroncoWave
11-19-2013, 04:55 PM

I don't believe in "trap games", but if there ever was one, it is this game for KC. Sandwiched between our two games, I can definitely see them overlooking this one a bit. As hard as this 3 game stretch is for us, I'm kinda glad we have a good team sandwiched between our two KC games. Guarantees we won't be overlooking NE at all.

Joel
11-19-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't believe in "trap games", but if there ever was one, it is this game for KC. Sandwiched between our two games, I can definitely see them overlooking this one a bit. As hard as this 3 game stretch is for us, I'm kinda glad we have a good team sandwiched between our two KC games. Guarantees we won't be overlooking NE at all.
What's funny about that very valid point is that losing EITHER of their next two is equally bad for KC, because we'd get the first tiebreak if we beat them, but even if we don't it would just go to the second tiebreak, which KC probably loses if SD beat them. The problem for us is our Indy loss and this weeks NE game: Tiebreaks don't matter if KC finishes with a better overall record, and we can't count on Indy beating them on the road or SD beating them either time, let alone both. Bottom line is we should just go out and win all our games so it doesn't matter what KC does or doesn't.

Ravage!!!
11-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Can we plan it so that we play the Chiefs first in the playoffs? If so, lets do that. I don't care if we are wildcard if we can play the Chiefs first.

BroncoWave
11-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Can we plan it so that we play the Chiefs first in the playoffs? If so, lets do that. I don't care if we are wildcard if we can play the Chiefs first.

Only way it could happen is if we are the 1 seed and they win in the first round. I would be very happy if it broke that way.

CrazyHorse
11-20-2013, 10:14 AM
I didn't, and still think we're overrated, which is why I was laughing in the post.

A playoff team 3 of the last 4 years and likely again this year. I don't see how they can be considered overrated.

CrazyHorse
11-20-2013, 10:15 AM

I want a Colt's revenge game at our house.

powderaddict
11-20-2013, 10:44 AM

I wouldn't mind some deja vu, as longs as past performance guarantees future results!

powderaddict
11-20-2013, 10:44 AM
As far as the thread goes,

NO.

We cannot lose to the patriots. I hate those guys. More specifically, their OC.

VonDoom
11-20-2013, 10:46 AM

If we end up as the 5 seed, we would have to beat the 4 seed on the road (Cincinnati?) and have the 3 seed beat the 6. Then we'd play KC on the road in the divisional round. I'd rather it not come to that, honestly. If we're the 1 seed, THEY would have to win their first game in that scenario and then travel to play us.

VonDoom
11-20-2013, 10:47 AM
i want a colt's revenge game at our house.

this!

Salutethis
11-21-2013, 08:16 AM
You might think I'm crazy, but I was hoping for a wild card berth this year where Denver would go to Indy, then KC, and finally NE for a revenge tour if those teams beat us.
My biggest worry is that Denver gets a little rusty with that bye week. But now I think that Denver needs the bye to heal those ankles. Besides, if Peyton is healthy then the offense will look different. Less run control and back too 40-50 point games.

Dzone
11-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Montee Ball is ready for a 100+ day

Ziggy
11-22-2013, 01:58 AM
You might think I'm crazy, but I was hoping for a wild card berth this year where Denver would go to Indy, then KC, and finally NE for a revenge tour if those teams beat us.
My biggest worry is that Denver gets a little rusty with that bye week. But now I think that Denver needs the bye to heal those ankles. Besides, if Peyton is healthy then the offense will look different. Less run control and back too 40-50 point games.

There's going to be some cold and snowy playoff games. The Broncos are going to have to fix this run game to win a championship this season.

Joel
11-22-2013, 03:30 AM
Montee Ball is ready for a 100+ day
He needs to get ready for a 0 FUMBLE day: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000283581/Ball-fumbles-it-away That could've cost us big, and Jammer and Trevathan won't be able to bail him out everytime.

Our run blocking wasn't great in that game, despite facing a very poor run D. Just to drive it home: KC was 24th in total rushing yards allowed coming into Sundays game; now they're 18th. Playing the #1 offense actually RAISED their run stats six spots. We were only averaging about 3.3 yds/carry coming into that game, but actually did WORSE (2.9) against bad run D. Maybe they sold out on the run knowing their weakness and knowing we knew it, and expecting us to ride Moreno to protect Manning (they sure weren't blitzing.) I hope that was it, but it seems weird they'd gameplan to stop the RUN against PFM.

Whatever it was, Ziggy's right; Manning doesn't thrive on cold like Favre and we can't ask him to throw 45 passes in snow, especially since defenses will stop playing our run if it can't hurt them. Manning's famous for beating blitzes, but if six or seven guys are coming while the DBs press our receivers, he's gonna get hit, and hurt. Or rather, hurt more.

SR
11-22-2013, 06:41 AM
That botched exchange went as a fumble against Manning, not Ball IIRC. It was a bad exchange, not a dropped ball.

Joel
11-22-2013, 08:06 AM
That botched exchange went as a fumble against Manning, not Ball IIRC. It was a bad exchange, not a dropped ball.
Fumbled handoffs are always automatically charged to the QB; he's the last person with possession. That doesn't make it any more Mannings fault than the pass that one of our receivers (forget which) batted into the air for Washington to intercept. Watch the vid again: Manning should've put it in his gut rather than his chest, but Ball had one arm and hand over and one beneath the ball; no reason for that drop.

BroncoJoe
11-24-2013, 05:50 PM
i think the chargers will give the chiefs all they can handle this weekend.

bam!

OrangeHoof
11-24-2013, 06:23 PM
KC's loss to SD was big because now the Broncos just need to win one of the next two games to stay ahead of the Chiefs. If we lose to NE but win at KC, we'll have a one-game lead and the head-to-head tiebreaker over KC. If we beat NE but lose at KC, we'll still have a one-game lead in the division, neutralize the head-to-head tiebreaker but keep a better division record than KC. A loss to SD or Oakland would be trouble but we'd probably take the division otherwise.

Joel
11-24-2013, 06:31 PM
bam!
Losing Hali AND Houston for the whole second half was probably the difference; they're pass rush disappeared afterward (understandably, since those two accounted for 20 of the 35 sacks KC had coming into the game,) and once KC was reduced to blitzing Berry AND Flowers Sean Smith had to cover EVERYONE, which was impossible. However it happened though it throws the AFCWs door wide open, and actually makes todays game meaningful for us: Beat NE and KC basically must win out (including hosting us next week and Indy week 16,) then hope we stumble against the garbage we have left.

Otherwise, a win @NE would put us a full game up; even if KC got it back and tied up the head-to-head, both of us winning the rest would make us 5-1 in division to their 4-2, so we'd win by the second tiebreak. If we or Indy win @KC all the same applies even if we lose @NE; the only way we'd be in trouble is if we lost to SD/@Oakland in addition to @NE and KC.

MOtorboat
11-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Losing Hali AND Houston for the whole second half was probably the difference; they're pass rush disappeared afterward (understandably, since those two accounted for 20 of the 35 sacks KC had coming into the game,) and once KC was reduced to blitzing Berry AND Flowers Sean Smith had to cover EVERYONE, which was impossible. However it happened though it throws the AFCWs door wide open, and actually makes todays game meaningful for us: Beat NE and KC basically must win out (including hosting us next week and Indy week 16,) then hope we stumble against the garbage we have left.

Otherwise, a win @NE would put us a full game up; even if KC got it back and tied up the head-to-head, both of us winning the rest would make us 5-1 in division to their 4-2, so we'd win by the second tiebreak. If we or Indy win @KC all the same applies even if we lose @NE; the only way we'd be in trouble is if we lost to SD/@Oakland in addition to @NE and KC.

Those two were a non factor while in. KC didn't have a sack until late in the 4th.

OrangeHoof
11-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Well, the monkey got put right back on our backs by losing in New England despite a "yooooge" (per Al Michaels) halftime lead. We now *must* beat KC in their house which is entirely possible. It may come down to which team is healthier. KC has DL and OL problems while Denver missed J.Thomas and has a growing list of injuries in the secondary.

Joel
11-26-2013, 02:57 AM
Still waiting for Balls 100 yd day; was that fumble on Manning, too? According to ESPN http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10036473/injuries-knowshon-moreno-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-denver-broncos-not-significant Del Rio says "there's a good chance" we'll Moreno and DRC will be "on the practice field by the end of the week." Color me enthusiastic. Latest from KC makes it sound like Hali will play, but Houstons dislocated elbow was too swollen for an MRI Monday. Bottom line is we need to get it done on the road to show we can post a winning record against a winning team, something we've only managed ONCE (against Cincy) in TWO SEASONS of PFM trying.

Super Bowl contenders don't go around saying, "we beat a winning team last year!" If KC's crap because they haven't played anyone, what does it say of US that they're the best team we've beaten this year?

OrangeHoof
11-26-2013, 07:32 AM
The last two weeks, ironically, proved to me the Chiefs are a good team. They've been a bit lucky but most good teams are.