PDA

View Full Version : Camera shows a stoic Manning during Chefs game

Hawgdriver
11-18-2013, 04:33 AM
Just wondering what's going on with the dude. Seemed ultra stoic and makes you think he's in some pain. Is it just my imagination? My gut feel is that Manning is enduring some kind of life trial at this point in the season and his career, but he's just so stubborn and determined. What do you think?

sneakers
11-18-2013, 04:36 AM
sto·ic
ˈstō-ik/Submit
noun
a person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining.
a member of the ancient philosophical school of Stoicism.
adjective
another term for stoical.
of or belonging to the Stoics or their school of philosophy.

DenBronx
11-18-2013, 05:16 AM
All of the Mannings have that look. He gets that way when we settle for field goals instead of touchdowns. Nothings ever good enough on the field. Thats what makes him so great.

TXBRONC
11-18-2013, 07:24 AM
That was Manning being focused on beating the Chiefs.

OrangeHoof
11-18-2013, 09:58 AM
I think he felt, as did I, that the offense could have been more productive last night. He said it was because the Chiefs "have such a great defense" but he knows he missed some throws and knows he failed to sustain some drives and put his defense in situations where they needed to make stops.

On the contrary, the OL played very well except for some false starts but the receivers had trouble getting open. There were no picks and the Broncos generally played a safe game.

I think Manning is just a perfectionist who believes he and the offense underperfomed and I'm glad he feels that way because it is going to be tougher the next two weeks on the road.

Dzone
11-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Manning had a look on his face like he was stepping in the ring for a world heavyweight championship fight

BroncoNut
11-18-2013, 10:58 AM
not a great game for our offense, but he looked comfortable at home to me last night,. it's the upcoming road games and playoffs that have me more concerned. he does have a tendency, I think, to let certain atmospheres and situations get into his head to some extents, and this radiates to the team.

TXBRONC
11-18-2013, 11:00 AM
I think he felt, as did I, that the offense could have been more productive last night. He said it was because the Chiefs "have such a great defense" but he knows he missed some throws and knows he failed to sustain some drives and put his defense in situations where they needed to make stops.

On the contrary, the OL played very well except for some false starts but the receivers had trouble getting open. There were no picks and the Broncos generally played a safe game.

I think Manning is just a perfectionist who believes he and the offense underperfomed and I'm glad he feels that way because it is going to be tougher the next two weeks on the road.

Great players never want to squander opportunities but at the same time I think he realized that game plan wasn't going to be condusive to putting up 30 plus points..

OrangeHoof
11-18-2013, 11:10 AM
I also think Fox/Del Rio, being defensive-minded coaches, would rather play conservative than free-wheeling which sometimes squelches Manning's desires to air it out or go for it on fourth down. Of course, Manning had the same issues with Tony Dungy earlier in his career so it's nothing new. It's just his competitiveness.

Joel
11-18-2013, 11:42 AM
I dunno; a few times, especially during and since Indy, I've wondered how much Manning still enjoys the game, and what the answer portends for next year. Then again, I never expected him to play past this year anyway, and definitely not after next year. At a certain point though, taping 37 year old ankles just to go out and watch 4 turnovers get you beat at your home for over a decade can turn stoicism to fatalism. It helps immensely that he genuinely loves the strategic and tactical side of football as much as practice, but I doubt he enjoys the cold tub or time with trainers. At some point, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Buff
11-18-2013, 11:54 AM
I think he was all hopped up on pain killers last night. And was cold.

Seriously though, I remember thinking the same thing. He seemed kind of reserved last night.

GEM
11-18-2013, 11:58 AM
I said to my dad last night....those Manning boys just don't have that crazy fire intense bravada. They don't get all excited about things. I was amazed how cold he was last night though.

Dapper Dan
11-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Constipation.

powderaddict
11-18-2013, 12:31 PM
I also think Fox/Del Rio, being defensive-minded coaches, would rather play conservative than free-wheeling which sometimes squelches Manning's desires to air it out or go for it on fourth down. Of course, Manning had the same issues with Tony Dungy earlier in his career so it's nothing new. It's just his competitiveness.

Fox and JDR have very little to do with the offensive side of the ball. Peyton often calls and audibles into run plays if he feels it's the best option with what the defense is showing. The offense has been very effective and aggressive this year, I'd have a difficult time calling this year's offense conservative.

It seemed to me that Manning/Gase & Company felt like they didn't need to run up the score to win, could keep the pass rushers honest by committing to the running game, and stuck with that game plan. It kept Manning shiny and clean.

On the flip side, watching Smith throw it over 40 times was pretty amusing :laugh:

PatriotsGuy
11-18-2013, 03:18 PM
I think he finally realized how big his forehead really is

DenBronx
11-18-2013, 03:25 PM
I think he finally realized how big his forehead really is

Sort of like when Tom Brady realized he has a vagina.

PatriotsGuy
11-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Sort of like when Tom Brady realized he has a vagina.

You're supposed to call him gay, don't you read slim's posts?

powderaddict
11-18-2013, 04:38 PM
You're supposed to call him gay, don't you read slim's posts?

I was under the impression he was lesbo?

tubby
11-18-2013, 04:41 PM
I think he is managing his breathing.

BroncoNut
11-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Constipation.

I would think that prune juice is prescribed routinely, now wether or not he complies, that's another situation

BroncoNut
11-18-2013, 05:31 PM
you guys, read threads backwards. like read what the last poster responds to and then move to the previous post, etc. It's a trip

Joel
11-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Fox and JDR have very little to do with the offensive side of the ball. Peyton often calls and audibles into run plays if he feels it's the best option with what the defense is showing. The offense has been very effective and aggressive this year, I'd have a difficult time calling this year's offense conservative.

It seemed to me that Manning/Gase & Company felt like they didn't need to run up the score to win, could keep the pass rushers honest by committing to the running game, and stuck with that game plan. It kept Manning shiny and clean.
On the flip side, watching Smith throw it over 40 times was pretty amusing :laugh:
It's also amusing to watch fans celebrate PFM as a brilliant perfectionist field general all week—then spend all of each games raising Hell about our DEFENSIVE coaches calling horrible OFFENSIVE plays. Head coaches must know the whole game well to get and keep their jobs, but they all specialized on the way up; growing up in the NFL with two other pro QBs in his immediate family, Manning's probably forgotten more about offense than Fox will ever know. That's not a slam on Fox; he'll always be the guy who decides where to go for it on 4th down—but I bet PFM calls most plays even then.

News flash: Peyton Manning likes to run, for the same reason as Lombardi, Landry and so many others—even Dan Reeves (who threw a halfback pass for a TD in the Ice Bowl.) Turnovers are several times less common, there's usually at least a minimal gain, and it makes for long drives that tire opposing defenses, rest ones own and frustrate opposing offenses, all while the clock keeps running like it doesn't on incomplete passes. Run to establish the pass, then take the kill shot when they load the box to stop you, and salt away wins running the ball and spending their time outs.

It's not to be confused with predictably monotonous Martyball; offenses must mix it up enough to keep the D guessing. It's more a matter of playing percentages. What's interesting about our offense this year is we tend not to have DRIVES so much as PLAYS: We pass for conversions and/or scores (either directly or just by getting in range;) otherwise we're at least as willing to run as pass. If our running game were still as effective as in the first month I'd be thrilled, because that's EXACTLY how I want offenses to operate. We need to be more productive withour rushing attempts though, or defense won't honor it.

weazel
11-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Probably wondering why the refs were letting the Chiefs manhandle his receivers with little to no penalty while letting the Chiefs WR push our DB to the ground and catching a touchdown at the same time.

Joel
11-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Probably wondering why the refs were letting the Chiefs manhandle his receivers with little to no penalty for doing so while letting the Chiefs WR push our DB to the ground and catching a touchdown at the same time.
C'mon, man, I've complained as much as anyone about refs not flagging DBs for mugging our receivers, but they called it tight on both secondaries last night. That's all I ask: Make every call the same way for BOTH teams. Whether they call everything or "let 'em play," the best teams will adjust and remain the best teams as long as all calls are fair and impartial. For the most part, they were Sunday night. Both secondaries got flagged (a lot; remember 1st and G at the Chiefs 0.5 yd line?) and, while the pushoff TD was bad, I recall NO Offensive PI flags on EITHER team (and we've been tagged a bunch for that this year.)

aberdien
11-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Peyton is super emotional on the field, I don't know what you guys are talking about.

OrangeHoof
11-19-2013, 10:27 AM
If the same refs who called the KC game called the Indy game, it would have been more even.