PDA

View Full Version : Schefter reports Broncos, Marshall discussing new contract!

honz
09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4459220

Despite their stormy relationship, the Denver Broncos are now exploring the possibility of giving a contract extension to wide receiver Brandon Marshall, two league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Wednesday.

The potential new deal would put Marshall's salary more in line with some of the game's other highly-paid receivers.

Due to the fact he has been unable to get a long-term deal, Marshall has been clinging to the hopes that Denver would deal him. But now, in a new approach, the deal Denver might make is not for Marshall, but rather with Marshall.

The fact that they are even talking is an encouraging sign, sources said, and there is some optimism that a deal could be struck that could keep Marshall in Denver long term.

Adam Schefter covers the NFL for ESPN Insider.

TXBRONC
09-09-2009, 04:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4459220

Dang that would be quite a change.

Dortoh
09-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Too bad McD and company didnt think of this option earlier. Maybe he would have been in camp and taking reps with the first string.

*sorry I could not resist being an ass :)

Italianmobstr7
09-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I will be so happy if this happens. Brandon is one of my favorite players and I want him to be a Bronco for as long as possible!

TXBRONC
09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Too bad McD and company didnt think of this option earlier. Maybe he would have been in camp and taking reps with the first string.

Whoever quarterbacks this team is going to be better off with Marshall in the line up.

TXBRONC
09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I will be so happy if this happens. Brandon is one of my favorite players and I want him to be a Bronco for as long as possible!

I would have never guessed. ;)

Nomad
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Hopefully Denver throw in stips to cover their butts in case Mr Hyde shows up again. And hopefully they throw in some incentatives if Marshall plays lights out and stays clean!!

TXBRONC
09-09-2009, 04:41 PM

Maybe they both have learned something from this experience.

Dortoh
09-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Maybe they both have learned something from this experience.

Talk about a win/win

McD has alot of potential but has ALOT of learing/maturing to do IMO

BMarsh has alot of potential but has ALOTof learing/maturing to do IMO

:beer:

CoachChaz
09-09-2009, 04:49 PM
yeah because brandon deserves to be rewarded based on his actions and mcd somehow got hold of bowlens checkbook

Dortoh
09-09-2009, 04:53 PM
yeah because brandon deserves to be rewarded based on his actions and mcd somehow got hold of bowlens checkbook

I cant imagine this is anything more then a good will gesture from the Denver FO. Nothing will happen until BMarsh proves his worth on the field.

Nightwolf
09-09-2009, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't be mad, Brandon is important for the team

but after all of the actions and the suspension it seems like a black-eye that the Broncos appeased his actions

not against it again, but he definitely needs to step up and get the head out of said ass

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2009, 04:58 PM

If what was written is correct - they did think of this earlier, and that is what upset Brandon, and got himself suspended - If correct, they had a meeting that morning, and told Brandon they were willing to give him a new contract, which contained "what ifs", i.e. if he got in trouble off the field. That meeting that morning upset Brandon, who then acted like a 5 year old during practice, and got himself suspended.

Dortoh
09-09-2009, 05:07 PM
If what was written is correct - they did think of this earlier, and that is what upset Brandon, and got himself suspended - If correct, they had a meeting that morning, and told Brandon they were willing to give him a new contract, which contained "what ifs", i.e. if he got in trouble off the field. That meeting that morning upset Brandon, who then acted like a 5 year old during practice, and got himself suspended.

Sorry Carol,

I am guilty of baiting here :shocked:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry Carol,

I am guilty of baiting here :shocked:

:throwrock::banghead::eviltongue::mad2::lol:

nbenallo33
09-09-2009, 05:25 PM
i think we all agree this should have happened earlier... i just think they wanted to see all his court stuff be over.. hopefull he will get paid and stay out of trouble

jrelway
09-09-2009, 05:32 PM
finally! pay the mofo and lets play some ball!!

dogfish
09-09-2009, 05:37 PM
well now. . . that's quite interesting. . .

i've said before that i wouldn't be against trading him, getting something of value in return and letting someone else deal with the headaches. . . but, signing him long term has always been the ideal solution IF he can find a way to stay out of trouble-- it's a really big "if," but the guy is also a bigtime factor on the field, and it's not easy to replace that kind of talent if you get rid of him. . . on the field i've always loved brandon's approach-- he's a competitor that fights like crazy for yards and can maul guys in the running game. . .

if we do sign him to a significant extension, i like what it represents-- a committment on the part of the new FO to not just squander all of our talent, and an effort on the part of mcdaniels to reign in his ego a bit and admit that we do need good players regardless of how confident he is in his system. . . and if bowlen did promise marshall at some point that he'd get a new contract, attempting to make that happen is all to the good in terms of our future relationships with other players and agents around the league-- denver used to be regarded as a prime destination, and it's all in our favor to try to keep it that way after a tumultous offseason. . .

so, if it does happen i guess this would be the part where we all take a deep breath, hold hands and chant "there's no place like mile high" and hope that he can keep his head out of his ass and be the player for us that we all know he's capable of being. . .

I wouldn't be mad, Brandon is important for the team

but after all of the actions and the suspension it seems like a black-eye that the Broncos appeased his actions

not against it again, but he definitely needs to step up and get the head out of said ass

i wouldn't say that they "appeased" him. . . they didn't grant his trade request (sounds like they at least did some talking, but in the end it didn't happen), and they suspended him for conduct detrimental-- and gave every indication that they were willing to pursue that avenue further if he forced their hand. . .

granted, i suppose they could have taken an even harder-line stance by just giving him the maximum possible four game suspension, and making them regular season games where it would really hit him in the wallet. . . but really, what's the point of doing that as anything but a last resort, other than maybe "appeasing" some of the more militantly disciplinarian fans? i don't see how that improves our product on the field any. . .

the broncos made their stance, and they did so without completely backing the guy into a corner. . . asserting their authority IS part of issuing a suspension, but real point of the discipline was to try to bring him back in line and get him back to work, because he's a greater asset on the field than he is right now in trade value (they apparently did some comparison shopping before coming to that conclusion). . . and we'll see where it goes, but as of right now it seems like it attained the desired results, because he's back practising and mcdaniels says his attitude has been "great". . .

T.K.O.
09-09-2009, 05:50 PM
brandon has absolutely proven himself "ON" the field and deservres more money and security because of it.
his hip is obviously healing on schedule so i dont believe we can hold the injury against him either (ESPECIALLY IF SOME of the damage was a result of a misdiagnosis on broncos medical staffs part)
i think his role in the offense will be diminished purely because of the spread O .
but all in all if the stipulations in the contract simply cover the broncos in the event that he gets arrested and or suspended....why not pay him what similarly talented recievers in the league are making?
pay da man ! and lets start kickin' butt !!!!!!:elefant:

RunYouOver
09-09-2009, 05:55 PM
For what it's worth...and that isn't very much, over on Mania someone posted that a friend at the post told him Marshall agreed to a 6 year deal. I wouldn't trust it much, but just throwing it out there....

Dortoh
09-09-2009, 05:58 PM
For what it's worth...and that isn't very much, over on Mania someone posted that a friend at the post told him Marshall agreed to a 6 year deal. I wouldn't trust it much, but just throwing it out there....

I love Mania :lol:

Lonestar
09-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Hopefully Denver throw in stips to cover their butts in case Mr Hyde shows up again. And hopefully they throw in some incentatives if Marshall plays lights out and stays clean!!

well I would not do that with his track history until he showed he can contain his anger to Sunday at Game time..

Better be a lot of stips in there to wind up not having tons of DEAD CAP money..

honz
09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Was his name BlueRun?

RunYouOver
09-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Was his name BlueRun?

No :lol:

gobroncsnv
09-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I agree, there should be clauses out the wazoo on this. I DO want him to be a Bronco, but do it like a man, not like a T.O. There could be incentives, accelerations, etc, anything that would make the guy feel pain for goofing up, and rich for doing it right. This business is all about performance, and the commish is taking the off the field stuff matters to a whole new level. That's the reality of it. The sooner he faces that, the better.

If this IS going down, it's a great good faith move by the front office, and I'm ok with it, but again, make sure he has to EARN the flippin' money. The fact that he hasn't had this happen a while ago is more his fault than anybody else's. He's worth the money if he makes sure he STAYS worth the money.

Zweems56
09-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Soooo... I just saw this in the Mane's equivalent thread to this. I'm not sure of its relevance, but I just figured i'd share it.
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp69/marcusd1101/Fitness/1251156233240.jpg

EMB6903
09-09-2009, 06:30 PM

maybe all this drama was the best thing that happened to Brandon Marshall... sitting back and watching the entire sports world (including team mates) eat him apart made him realize how childish he is acting... now its nothing but business from Brandon Marshall (atleast for now) we know how bi polar this guy is though.

LRtagger
09-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I would love for Brandon to play his entire career here in Denver and would be excited to have him sign for the long term.

Unfortunately, no matter what I will still have major concerns about his behavior. He is a risk until he can show consistently that he has turned himself around. It will take time before he can prove that to the fanbase and the organization...but if they can strike a deal that both parties are happy with, then hooray.

drewloc
09-09-2009, 06:31 PM
One way I would like to see them approach it is increase his pay into the top 20 range of receivers. Then add incentives for performance that could bump up his take home to a top 5 receiver. On the flip side add clauses about off the field incidents so we would be covered in all aspects. Only hold up here would be BMarsh would have to agree to it.

broncofaninfla
09-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I would love for Brandon to play his entire career here in Denver and would be excited to have him sign for the long term.

Unfortunately, no matter what I will still have major concerns about his behavior. He is a risk until he can show consistently that he has turned himself around. It will take time before he can prove that to the fanbase and the organization...but if they can strike a deal that both parties are happy with, then hooray.

I agree, we are a better team with him as defenses have to game plan to slow him down. Marshall on the field opens up this offense.

I'm surprised by the timing, can't help but think he came back with a vengeance this week and showed the dynamics he can bring to this offense.

TXBRONC
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM

Where did you get tha information just out of curiousity?

Lonestar
09-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Heard Josh say today that KO and BM were spending time after practice to get on the "same page" passing wise .. but he also added that many other players were staying late also..

LRtagger
09-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Someone on denverbroncos.com forums has stated he has a "reliable source" that BM has signed a 6 year extension.

Lonestar
09-09-2009, 07:03 PM
September 9, 2009 6:25 PM

Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson

ESPN’s Adam Schefter is reporting that the Broncos are talking to receiver Brandon Marshall about a long-term contract extension.

Marshall

Frankly, I am shocked to see this news. I’d be less surprised if Denver traded Marshall, and I don’t expect that to happen. Don’t get me wrong -- I am not disputing Schefter’s report. I believe it. I just didn’t see it coming.

While a long-term deal with Marshall would benefit the Broncos in many ways, it's still risky.

Marshall has had several off-field run-ins and has a history of injuries, including hip surgery in March. Oft-troubled and oft-injured players usually aren’t top candidates for large contract extensions.

There are few teams that would be willing to give Marshall an extension these days (that’s why the Broncos haven’t had many suitable trade offers). Previously, the Broncos were among the teams unwilling to give Marshall a contract. Twice this summer, Denver declined overtures from Marshall to extend his deal.

Maybe Denver has been overly impressed by Marshall since his team-imposed suspension was lifted Sunday. Maybe the team feels Marshall is ready to give a long-term commitment.

On the surface, having Marshall under contract long term isn’t the worst thing for the club. He is immensely talented and having immensely talented players signed for several years is not a bad thing.

Still, this news comes unexpectedly.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/3615/marshall-contract-extension-report-stunning

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13302182?source=rss

The Broncos are in a tough spot with Brandon Marshall. They could use his talent and productivity. They're paying $2.198 million this year in return for his talent and productivity.

But they know Marshall is not happy with $2.198 million. He's asked to be traded. Can he be productive if unhappy? Earlier in training camp, the Broncos submitted at least one contract proposal to Marshall, according to two NFL sources.

The proposal was considered to be team-favorable and was quickly rejected. Since that proposal, Marshall was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.

Several NFL executives and agents say they expect the Broncos to wait to see how Marshall performs before they engage in serious discussions regarding a contract extension.

Marshall did not address the media on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Zweems56
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Soooo... I just saw this in the Mane's equivalent thread to this. I'm not sure of its relevance, but I just figured i'd share it.
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp69/marcusd1101/Fitness/1251156233240.jpg

Update on the mane gets update on here. Mother of god.
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp69/marcusd1101/Fitness/1249238128843.jpg

dogfish
09-09-2009, 09:46 PM
my! she certainly is toned. . . . if the further updates get too risque for the open forum, i think you can figure out where to PM me. . . :heh:

Zweems56
09-09-2009, 09:47 PM
my! she certainly is toned. . . . if the further updates get too risque for the open forum, i think you can figure out where to PM me. . . :heh:

He who asks shall receive. My account was never activated on the mane, so i can't ask for more, but my god... That thread is getting a healthy dose of http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/502761/2/istockphoto_502761-f5-key-refresh.jpg on my part.

silkamilkamonico
09-09-2009, 09:48 PM

Well, I certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Where did you get tha information just out of curiousity?

See the article in my post #35 - it is stated there again.

BCJ
09-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Maybe you should have posted....
Too bad BMarsh and his agent didnt think of this option would happen and didnt act like a Flava Clown. Maybe he would have been in camp, with a new contract, and taking reps with the first string.

Superchop 7
09-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Rod Smith slapped the crap out of all of them.

Let common sense prevail.

honz
09-09-2009, 11:27 PM

Meh. My girlfriend has a better body.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Meh. My girlfriend has a better body.

Looked better w/ the jeans on. I don't like bird legs.

Lonestar
09-10-2009, 09:21 AM
now can we get

:focus:

semi dressed ladies belong in other threads OK?

Jaws
09-10-2009, 09:28 AM
now can we get

I better finish getting dressed before posting in this thread then ;)

Lonestar
09-10-2009, 09:34 AM
SportingNews
3 hours, 12 minutes ago

Despite their stormy relationship, the Denver Broncos are now exploring the possibility of giving a contract extension to wide receiver Brandon Marshall(notes), two league sources ESPN on Wednesday.

The potential new deal would put Marshall's salary more in line with some of the game's other highly paid receivers.

Due to the fact he has been unable to get a long-term deal, Marshall has been clinging to the hopes that Denver would deal him. But now, in a new approach, the deal Denver might make is not for Marshall, but rather with Marshall.

The fact that they are even talking is an encouraging sign, sources said, and there is some optimism that a deal could be struck that could keep Marshall in Denver long term.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-broncosmarshalltalki&prov=tsn&type=lgns

honz
09-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Looked better w/ the jeans on. I don't like bird legs.

I wasn't serious...she has a smokin' body. She does have skinny legs...although I think I could find a way to get past that. :D

Zweems56
09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
now can we get

Would you ban me if I said its not okay? :D