PDA

View Full Version : All about Peyton

Captain Speardog
11-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Another great article from the N.Y. Times

Advertisers have tapped into his allure, too. Manning is the fourth-highest-ranked athlete endorser after Michael Jordan, Hank Aaron and Arnold Palmer, according to a basket of measures including awareness, likability and trust developed by Celebrity DBI, a division of Repucom, a global sports marketing agency. Among current athletes, Manning ranks highest, and when compared to all celebrities, he is in the mix with Tom Hanks and Oprah Winfrey.

“It comes down to the fact that he is playing great, he wins, and that’s what draws people to celebrities,” said Kathy Gardner, who runs Celebrity DBI. “He’s a juggernaut.”

The Broncos are now the sixth-most-popular football team; they were not in the top 10 before Manning arrived, Gardner said. Manning has even touched businesses he has nothing to do with. Joe Romano, a Broncos season ticket holder who owns eight Domino’s pizza shops around Denver, said sales when the Broncos play jumped about 25 percent the past three seasons.

To view the rest: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/sports/football/in-the-zone-with-peyton-manning.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

Captain Speardog
11-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Denver Does not want Charles in Charge.

"After nine games, all wins, Charles is the Chiefs’ leading rusher with 725 yards and is also the team’s leading receiver with 47 catches, or 14 more than wide receiver Dwayne Bowe. Charles has accounted for 39 percent of the yardage (1,114) the Chiefs have gained on offense, and had 48 percent of the touches (217).

So it is Charles who is likely Job 1 for the “other" defense in Sunday night’s affair. The matchup between the Broncos' offense, which is the league’s highest scoring outfit, and the Chiefs' defense, which leads the league in both scoring defense and sacks, has taken up most of the room on the marquee in the days leading up to the game. "

For the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/2483/broncos-dont-want-charles-in-charge

Captain Speardog
11-16-2013, 02:28 PM
KC to Prove Broncos are a one trick pony.

Nobody seems to think the Kansas City Chiefs can beat the Denver Broncos on Sunday Night Football. The latest betting line I’ve seen has the Broncos favored by 8.5 points. The pundits are attributing the spread to the Chiefs lack of offense and QB Peyton Manning‘s ability to pick apart defenses, even good ones like Kansas City has.

They’re implying that the one-dimensional offensive Broncos are that much better at what they do well than the Chiefs are at their defensive phase of expertise. Kansas City has won three games this season by 8.5 points or less, here’s a look at them:

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/11/15/kansas-city-chiefs-to-prove-denver-broncos-are-one-trick-ponies/?pZYTAyWtS2XMceoi.99

Captain Speardog
11-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Denver Needs this Win More Than The KFC

I'm not sure I've ever seen as much destruction and desolation on the interweb as I've seen over the last month between Chiefs and Broncos fans. What was once merely a passive disdain has turned into a full blown war between two incredibly passionate fanbases.

Of course, a lot of this has to do with the fact that both teams are finally successful. It's difficult to maintain a rivalry when only one team is winning (or when both teams kinda suck, for that matter). With the increased stakes come increased emotion.

Additionally, two things have added to all the back-and-forth between fanbases and made it go from "whoa" to "good God, someone's going to get internet shot here!"

Read more here: http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/11/15/5108630/chiefs-vs-broncos-2013-kansas-city-denver

Captain Speardog
11-16-2013, 02:34 PM
The Recent History of Denver and KFC

The Chiefs won 25 of the first 27 games against the Broncos. But over the course of the next nineteen years, Denver won 26 of the 37 matchups, including a 8-game, 4-year streak of beating the Chiefs. This put the series record at 36-28 in favor of the Chiefs. It’s been a fairly even series after that point, neither team can seem to gain a huge advantage on the other.

Of all their games against each other, only one was in the playoffs. In January 1998, the top seeded Chiefs welcomed the Wild Card Broncos into a freezing Arrowhead Stadium. It was a game built up during a decade where both teams were consistently good; Elway was near the end of his masterful career, and the Chiefs had their own special brand of football, Marty-ball. But Marty-ball was stopped during this game, barely 75 yards were gained on the ground. Denver running back Terrell Davis ran for 101 yards and two touchdowns, the only points the Broncos would get. It all came down to one play, one 4th & 2…

The Broncos would go on to win the Super Bowl that year, and the year after. If your keeping count, that’s two Super Bowls for Denver, one for Kansas City. But if you include AFL Championships, then they’re tied at two.

Rest here: http://kckingdom.com/2013/11/15/recent-history-kansas-city-chiefs-vs-denver-broncos/

Captain Speardog
11-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Chiefs Going on the Offensive Against Denver
Chiefs offensive co-ordinator Doug Pederson acknowledged Thursday that the Chiefs (9-0) prefer to grind games away. The fact that running back Jamaal Charles leads the AFC in rushing not only is a testament to that fact, but underlies the reasons for it.

Might as well lean on your best player, right?

As much as Smith might dislike it, though, Pederson also admitted that the Chiefs have a better chance of beating the Broncos if they can maintain control of the ball. Denver is averaging an absurd 487.7 yards and 41.2 points per game, both easily the best in the NFL.

Read rest here: http://o.canada.com/sports/nfl/chiefs-going-on-the-offensive-against-broncos/

Captain Speardog
11-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Game of the Week Analysis: Kansas City Chiefs @ Denver Broncos

The Denver Broncos will look to become the first team to defeat Andy Reid's unbeaten Kansas City Chiefs in their crunch AFC West clash on Sunday.

The teams face each other for the first time this season in a battle to try to seize the initiative to take the division crown and with it a home tie in the playoffs.

Despite losing head coach John Fox for potentially six weeks due to heart surgery, the Denver juggernaut showed no signs of slowing last week as they dominated the San Diego Chargers for three quarters in their 28-20 victory at Qualcomm Stadium.

Peyton Manning continued his charge towards the NFL season touchdown record with four more pass TDs to his name to move to 33 on the year, just 17 shy of Tom Brady's mark with seven games left to play this season.

Read rest here: http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/american-football/denver-broncos/news/game-of-the-week-analysis-chiefs--broncos_118236.html

Captain Speardog
11-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Would Victory Over Chiefs Make Broncos the Super Bowl Favorite?

At 9-0, the Chiefs are the final unbeaten team in the NFL. That designation does not always translate into postseason success.

In the Super Bowl era, 60 other teams (including seasons where multiple teams had the same number of wins before their first loss) have been the league’s final unbeaten team.

85 percent of those teams have reached the playoffs. 40 percent of them have reached the Super Bowl, and 20 percent of them have won the Super Bowl.

However, this is the fourth time the Chiefs have been the league’s last unbeaten team. They didn’t win a playoff game the previous 3 times.

Kansas City has played the likes of Case Keenum (Texans), Jason Campbell (Browns) and Jeff Tuel (Bills) during that time. Denver has faced Andre Luck (Colts), Robert Griffin III (Washington) and Philip Rivers (Chargers) over their last three games. That’s a huge difference as the Chiefs' opposing trio each started the season as third-string quarterbacks.

Denver has allowed 929 yards during that time, an average of 309.6 yards per game. Kansas City has allowed 1,104 yards during that time, an average of 368 yards per game.

Denver has nine sacks over the last three games. Kansas City has six sacks over the last three games.

Denver has four interceptions over the last three games. Kansas City has two interceptions over the last three games.

It’s clear to see that one team is trending in a more positive direction. The Broncos are banking on the continued improvement of their defense as the season goes on.

Read rest here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1851163-denver-broncos-would-victory-over-chiefs-make-them-super-bowl-favorites

Slick
11-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Nice job keeping this in all one thread. Really convienent.

SR
11-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Nice job keeping this in all one thread. Really convienent.

My thoughts exactly. Gracias captian!

Joel
11-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Charles won't be in charge; Smiths running worries me more, because Vick had a few nice early run, and might've had more if our big second half lead hadn't forced them to pass. I'm not sure our run D is as good as its stats, but our whole front four are solid run stoppers, and Miller's at least as good against the run as he is blitzing. That means Woodyard and Trevathans size isn't a liability, and their speed remains an asset.

If we don't turn the ball over we win this game, especially if we can run off tackle at their DEs, but we've had trouble running AND avoiding turnovers the last month or so. I doubt our beloved stretch play will be there against their speed at LB, especially since Beadles has trouble sealing off, but if we wear them out with counters and such we can do well. A few reverses to keep them honest might help, too, even if the play itself isn't successful. Screens, however, run the same risks as stretch plays: LB speed. However we do it, we must block; even if we can't run, if we can them off PFM to prevent turnovers and injury, we still win.

Captain Speardog
11-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Charles won't be in charge; Smiths running worries me more, because Vick had a few nice early run, and might've had more if our big second half lead hadn't forced them to pass. I'm not sure our run D is as good as its stats, but our whole front four are solid run stoppers, and Miller's at least as good against the run as he is blitzing. That means Woodyard and Trevathans size isn't a liability, and their speed remains an asset.

If we don't turn the ball over we win this game, especially if we can run off tackle at their DEs, but we've had trouble running AND avoiding turnovers the last month or so. I doubt our beloved stretch play will be there against their speed at LB, especially since Beadles has trouble sealing off, but if we wear them out with counters and such we can do well. A few reverses to keep them honest might help, too, even if the play itself isn't successful. Screens, however, run the same risks as stretch plays: LB speed. However we do it, we must block; even if we can't run, if we can them off PFM to prevent turnovers and injury, we still win.

I agree, with Knighton and Big Vick in the middle Doom and Phillips on the end Denver has too much speed. The DTs will keep Woodyard and Trevethan freed up. I don't see Charles having a huge impact. He'll get 100 total yards but he will be kept in check.

Captain Speardog
11-17-2013, 02:02 AM
Broncos' Injury News

QB Peyton Manning increased his workload again on Friday and was officially listed as probable for Sunday night's AFC West showdown with the Kansas City Chiefs.

TE Joel Dreessen returned to full practice Friday and is listed as probable. Dreessen has had two knee surgeries in the last six months.

S Duke Ihenacho practiced fully Friday and is expected to play against Kansas City. He missed the Chargers game because of an ankle injury suffered against Washington in Week 8.

RT Orlando Franklin practiced all week and is expected to play Sunday. The ankle that he sprained in Week 6 remains problematic; he's allowed sacks in consecutive games since sitting out the Week 7 loss at Indianapolis.

LB Nate Irving was listed as questionable Friday. A shoulder MRI examination Monday revealed no structural damage. He is considered day-to-day.

CB Champ Bailey did something beyond working out with a team trainer. He practiced with the team this week for the first time since re-aggravating the sprained foot that he suffered in the preseason.

Article Here: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/thomson-reuters/131116/denver-broncos-playerwatch

Captain Speardog
11-17-2013, 02:08 AM
KC, Denver preview

Here are three things Chiefs fans should be watching for during Sunday’s game if the Chiefs are going to improve to 10-0:

The defense needs to stop Knowshon Moreno and the Denver rushing attack: The one way to guarantee a Denver win would be to have Knowshon Moreno rush for 90+ yards and allow Manning to add the play-action pass to his arsenal. If Manning has play-action at his disposal, the Broncos will put up a score in the forties. Moreno has played well against the Chiefs in the past, so it will be up to linemen Mike DeVito, Dontari Poe, and Tyson Jackson to lock down Denver’s running game. If Eric Berry leads the Chiefs in tackles, most KC fans will be able to go to bed early Sunday night because this will be a bad blow-out.

Dontari Poe is the key to the defense: Almost all the talk about the Chiefs league-leading pass rush has centered around linebackers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston. But when you play a future first-round Hall-of-Fame QB like Manning, pressure from the outside means he simply steps up in the pocket to make the throw before the speed rushers get to him. Even with a gimpy ankle, Manning can take two or three steps up in the pocket. However, when the pressure comes up the middle in the person of an athletically-gifted 330-lb Dontari Poe, all of a sudden Manning doesn’t have a clean pocket to throw from and his efficiency plummets. If Poe can get an early sack – or at least some early quarterback pressures – then Manning won’t get comfortable and all of sudden will start feeling his age and that ankle will hurt more.

The offense needs touchdowns, not field goals: It’s not that the Chiefs offense is horrible, it’s that they lost their ability to score touchdowns when they get into the Red Zone (inside their opponent’s 20-yard line) like they were doing earlier in the year. The Broncos, on the other hand, score touchdowns on 80% of their Red Zone possessions. The Chiefs must convert their possessions into touchdowns this week if they want to win. That means Alex Smith must actually hit tight end Anthony Fasano when he is open in the end zone … hit Dexter McCluster when he has a match-up against a slower linebacker … and hit Jamaal Charles in stride across the middle so Charles can use his sprinter speed to break long gains. If the Chiefs can convert more than 50% of their Red Zone possessions into touchdowns, they’ll have an excellent shot at winning.

Prediction: It’s time to put up or shut up for the Chiefs who have been listening to the critics all season. While I don’t see a blow-out happening, I think KC gets Denver’s best shot and the home field advantage gives the Broncos the edge. Being undefeated was nice, but being 9-1 and still in control of your destiny ain’t bad either. Broncos get a late score for some breathing room and get the win.

Score: Broncos – 31, Chiefs - 23.

Read rest here: http://www.examiner.com/article/kc-chiefs-nfl-game-preview-chiefs-at-denver-broncos-week-11

Captain Speardog
11-17-2013, 06:20 AM
AFC WEST SHOWDOWN

""Peyton, I'm actually shocked," Jaworski said. "With all he's gone through, everything that's happened to him and he's playing at this level. Mentally, I don't know if he's ever been better.

"I've pulled up all his bubble screen touchdowns. This guy is like one of those crime-scene investigators who sees stuff no else sees. I'm looking at this play 10 times, 'How did he know it was going to be a blitz?' I've got a staff here, eight of us are going, 'What is he seeing that we're not seeing?' I can't see a tip. He's seeing a tip because he's nailing it every single time."

Read more: Klis: It's strength vs. strength in AFC West showdown - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_24539455/its-strength-vs-strength-afc-west-showdown#ixzz2kttQK4ZD

Captain Speardog
11-17-2013, 06:22 AM
AFC WEST SHOWDOWN

""Peyton, I'm actually shocked," Jaworski said. "With all he's gone through, everything that's happened to him and he's playing at this level. Mentally, I don't know if he's ever been better.

"I've pulled up all his bubble screen touchdowns. This guy is like one of those crime-scene investigators who sees stuff no else sees. I'm looking at this play 10 times, 'How did he know it was going to be a blitz?' I've got a staff here, eight of us are going, 'What is he seeing that we're not seeing?' I can't see a tip. He's seeing a tip because he's nailing it every single time."

Read more: Klis: It's strength vs. strength in AFC West showdown - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_24539455/its-strength-vs-strength-afc-west-showdown#ixzz2kttQK4ZD

I have the game from earlier this year when Denver played the Raiders and Manning points to 24 Rod Woodsen calls out his name two times then makes had gestures. Woodson blitzed on the play and Manning threw the ball to Julius Thomas who Woodson was over and Denver scored a TD. I watched this play 10 times in a row and I have no idea how Manning knew Woodson was blitzing. Woodson was pissed after the play. He knew he had been owned. Manning is the best QB to ever play and I do not even think it is close.

Simple Jaded
11-18-2013, 01:39 AM
The Recent History of Denver and KFC

The Chiefs won 25 of the first 27 games against the Broncos. But over the course of the next nineteen years, Denver won 26 of the 37 matchups, including a 8-game, 4-year streak of beating the Chiefs. This put the series record at 36-28 in favor of the Chiefs. It’s been a fairly even series after that point, neither team can seem to gain a huge advantage on the other.

Of all their games against each other, only one was in the playoffs. In January 1998, the top seeded Chiefs welcomed the Wild Card Broncos into a freezing Arrowhead Stadium. It was a game built up during a decade where both teams were consistently good; Elway was near the end of his masterful career, and the Chiefs had their own special brand of football, Marty-ball. But Marty-ball was stopped during this game, barely 75 yards were gained on the ground. Denver running back Terrell Davis ran for 101 yards and two touchdowns, the only points the Broncos would get. It all came down to one play, one 4th & 2…

The Broncos would go on to win the Super Bowl that year, and the year after. If your keeping count, that’s two Super Bowls for Denver, one for Kansas City. But if you include AFL Championships, then they’re tied at two.

Rest here: http://kckingdom.com/2013/11/15/recent-history-kansas-city-chiefs-vs-denver-broncos/

I gotta KFC right around the corner, I like the Double Down, ya know it's killin ya one bite at a time but it's irresistible..