PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning a no-show, Champ Bailey in full pads at Broncos practice

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2013, 02:18 PM
No practice for Peyton.

That high right ankle sprain must be painful, because few NFL players enjoy practice more than Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.

For the fourth time in three weeks, Manning missed practice Wednesday because of his lower leg injury. Manning had not missed a practice since signing with the Broncos in March 2012 until he sat out the Oct. 23 practice before the game against the Washington Redskins in Week 8. He also missed the two bye-week practices.

rest - other players mentioned
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24515077/peyton-manning-no-show-champ-bailey-full-pads-broncos-practice

Ziggy
11-13-2013, 02:30 PM
I think Peyton goes, but if Brock plays we still smoke the Chiefs.

Joel
11-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm more worried about Kuper and Dreesen missing practice, because we may need the former and definitely need the latter, and it's inconceivable a competitor like Manning misses the KC game. He needs less practice than anyone on our offense (certainly less than Osweiler) and we all knew he was hurt Sunday so would probably miss some practice this week. I'd rather he take time to heal than get practice Osweiler needs far more. Unless our offense is radically different next week it shouldn't matter, and even then it'll probably just be more runs against a weak run D, so big deal; Manning knows how to handoff.

SR
11-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Why are you worried about a backup OG missing practice? And we still have Tamme who is a pretty good blocker, as well as Virgil Green. I am more concerned about Peyton than anything.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2013, 02:53 PM
I think Peyton goes, but if Brock plays we still smoke the Chiefs.

Del Rio said that Peyton would be restricted on practice this week. Said he would practice two days. Have not heard where anything has changed.

BroncoJoe
11-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Non issue. Dude is 37 years old. Elway in his later years rarely practiced all week.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h

Peyton Manning is still going to play Sunday. And he's going to hold his regular Weds presser at 1:15.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h

ALERT ALERT PANIC PANIC RT @mikefreemanNFL: People, we knew Peyton wasn't going to practice. Calm yourselves. Good lord.

Northman
11-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Non issue. Dude is 37 years old. Elway in his later years rarely practiced all week.

Yea, i think i remember some home videos of the championship years how TD would say that John didnt have to have the 2 a day because well, he's John Elway. Manning will be ready for gameday when the time comes.

Broncolingus
11-13-2013, 03:45 PM
I kinda meh on Bailey being 'available...'

He doesn't need to be in there to shut down Charles, nor does he need to be in there with (ahem) the vaunted Chefs passing attack brought to you by Air Marshall Smith...

Shut down the run and put Smith on his ass...Bailey doesn't even need to be active.

JMO...

Ziggy
11-13-2013, 03:59 PM
We don't need Champ to rush back to help out in pass coverage, but he's always been the one of the NFL's best corners in run support.

Joel
11-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Why are you worried about a backup OG missing practice? And we still have Tamme who is a pretty good blocker, as well as Virgil Green. I am more concerned about Peyton than anything.
I'm worried about Kuper because I don't want to rely on... Steve Vallos? if Beadles or Vasquez get hurt. Not next week, nor @NE, nor @KC. I honestly had NO read on Tamme as a blocker, so appreciate the heads up there; in that case I'd probably start a 2 TE set with him and Dreesen, or else alternate them on the left to help Clark with KCs speedy edge rushers, with JT and Welker taking turns on the other side so guys who can cover Welker have to tackle JT, and vice versa. Dreesen/Tamme on the left makes more sense than JT/Green because it forces the to play run AND pass the way the other two don't.

I'm not UNconcerned about Manning, but more concerned about his health after the kickoff than beforehand. We knew he was beat up, and that he'd miss some practice time, but also that he'll play Sunday and doesn't need tons of practice time at this point in his career with an offense he practically designed. IF we get him some protection (for once) against a scary rush, he'll be fine, and better for resting this week. If we don't, how much or little he practices this week is probably irrelevant.

Ideally, Moreno and Ball/Anderson gash a weak run D for 200 yards and Manning doesn't have to do more than handoff, but that would require blocking we evidently lack. Thus Dreesen and Kuper concern me.

Joel
11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
We don't need Champ to rush back to help out in pass coverage, but he's always been the one of the NFL's best corners in run support.
Very good point against a very good RB who's pretty much their whole offense. Harris is good aginst the run, too, a trait I've long thought he picked up from practicing with Champ. They're both sure tacklers, even against the run, and neither hesitates to stick his head in when they see backs coming their way. Among DBs, that kind of behavior's exceptional for CBs; it's normally more typical of—never mind.... ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2013, 06:05 PM
video - press conference - http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Manning-on-Missing-Practice/2aea4e07-04be-4fca-9b03-687a311a23c9

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2013, 06:15 PM
video - press conference - http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Del_Rio_on_Chiefs_Prep/59d460bd-e764-4202-99e2-23e718c085c2

wayninja
11-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Figures, Peyton is a bum. Probably getting high with his prison buddies and buying illegal firearms.

SR
11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm worried about Kuper because I don't want to rely on... Steve Vallos? if Beadles or Vasquez get hurt. Not next week, nor @NE, nor @KC. I honestly had NO read on Tamme as a blocker, so appreciate the heads up there; in that case I'd probably start a 2 TE set with him and Dreesen, or else alternate them on the left to help Clark with KCs speedy edge rushers, with JT and Welker taking turns on the other side so guys who can cover Welker have to tackle JT, and vice versa. Dreesen/Tamme on the left makes more sense than JT/Green because it forces the to play run AND pass the way the other two don't. I'm not UNconcerned about Manning, but more concerned about his health after the kickoff than beforehand. We knew he was beat up, and that he'd miss some practice time, but also that he'll play Sunday and doesn't need tons of practice time at this point in his career with an offense he practically designed. IF we get him some protection (for once) against a scary rush, he'll be fine, and better for resting this week. If we don't, how much or little he practices this week is probably irrelevant. Ideally, Moreno and Ball/Anderson gash a weak run D for 200 yards and Manning doesn't have to do more than handoff, but that would require blocking we evidently lack. Thus Dreesen and Kuper concern me.

You're like chicken little sometimes you know that?

BroncoJoe
11-13-2013, 08:53 PM

Pessimism club, Presidents member.

SR
11-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Pessimism club, Presidents member.

It's a kind of art to take something so good and make it seem so black.

BroncoWave
11-13-2013, 09:09 PM
It's a kind of art to take something so good and make it seem so black.

He must have been straight suicidal during our 4-12 season a few years ago.

Joel
11-13-2013, 09:23 PM
I do, yes.

He must have been straight suicidal during our 4-12 season a few years ago.
Fortunately or not, I was pretty occupied moving across an ocean and getting married at the time, and hadn't figured out a way to watch games yet. After McDumbass pulled that crap with Cutler, then decided He Who Must Not Be Named was a suitable replacement, I was pretty much just marking time until he got his sorry butt fired (though he certainly did his damage before Belicheat called him home.)

Dzone
11-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Fortunately or not, I was pretty occupied moving across an ocean and getting married at the time, and hadn't figured out a way to watch games yet.
Well, hopefully it resulted in some quality time with your wife. Now that you have figured out how to watch games, is your wife is ok with your football obsession?. Congratulations on your wedding. In those countries, dont the men pretty much cowtow to the women there? lol Like, I hear the men take the wifes name instead of vice versa...

Joel
11-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Well, hopefully it resulted in some quality time with your wife. Now that you have figured out how to watch games, is your wife is ok with your football obsession?. Congratulations on your wedding. In those countries, dont the men pretty much cowtow to the women there? lol Like, I hear the men take the wifes name instead of vice versa...
It did (and thanks,) though the efficiency apartment she was living in when I first arrived helped (maybe a bit too much.) She's generally OK with my football obsession (fortunately it doesn't extend to other sports) but does take exception to my wearing my Broncos jacket to formal occasions (look, it's light, it's warm and Norway's well below zero 3+ months/year.) Beyond that: No. http://satwcomic.com/sports-in-finland

Dzone
11-13-2013, 09:52 PM
This might be a good game for Champ to come back for. If the Chiefs offense is so horrible , plus Dwayne Bowe is no good anymore and now we know why(Pot smoking-it makes you slow and stupid :pound:)
Does someone have Alex Smiths season stats? What kind of year has he been having? I havent paid attention
Biggest worry for this game is turnovers imho...Payton getting the ball knocked out at the KC 20 seems to be a recurring nightmare

Dzone
11-13-2013, 09:55 PM
It did (and thanks,) though the efficiency apartment she was living in when I first arrived helped (maybe a bit too much.) She's generally OK with my football obsession (fortunately it doesn't extend to other sports) but does take exception to my wearing my Broncos jacket to formal occasions (look, it's light, it's warm and Norway's well below zero 3+ months/year.) Beyond that: No. http://satwcomic.com/sports-in-finland
Hey man, thats nice! I bet those Norway and Finland chicks are in good shape from all the athletics

Broncolingus
11-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Figures, Peyton is a bum. Probably getting high with his prison buddies and buying illegal firearms.

:lol:

Joel
11-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Hey man, thats nice! I bet those Norway and Finland chicks are in good shape from all the athletics
Well, getting carried isn't especially athletic (even if it was a staple of unconscious football players until 1905. :tongue:) But they aren't bad if you like 'em leggy. Finns have something of a reputation though, deservedly or not; a Finn I know on another forum once commented to the effect graduating HS in Finland ensures the ability to also graduate college, drink ones weight in alcohol and operate a machine gun.

Dzone
11-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Alex Smith...not having a great year...Hope Champ comes back for this game
http://www.nfl.com/player/alexsmith/2506340/gamelogs

Joel
11-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Alex Smith...not having a great year...Hope Champ comes back for this game
http://www.nfl.com/player/alexsmith/2506340/gamelogs
As long as he's not rushing it (I can certainly see why he might for a big game, but their passing attack isn't the problem.) I'd rather have him 100% for the playoffs than lose him for the season.

topscribe
11-14-2013, 12:43 AM
This might be a good game for Champ to come back for. If the Chiefs offense is so horrible , plus Dwayne Bowe is no good anymore and now we know why(Pot smoking-it makes you slow and stupid :pound:)
Does someone have Alex Smiths season stats? What kind of year has he been having? I havent paid attention
Biggest worry for this game is turnovers imho...Payton getting the ball knocked out at the KC 20 seems to be a recurring nightmare
The O-line is going to have to find a way to block. As Peyton implied, it's not
a simple matter to figure out how keep from fumbling if someone hits your
arm when you're trying to pass the ball . . .

mouthofsouth
11-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Peyton does not need a lot of practice time but he is not the only one to be considered. His receivers need practice time with him. But I am thinking skipping one or even two days is not going to hurt a whole lot.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Practice - Thursday - 11-14

The most talked-about ankle in Denver participated in the Broncos' practice Thursday after sitting out Wednesday — and so did the quarterback it's attached to, Peyton Manning.

Manning did not participate on Wednesday after aggravating a right ankle injury during Sunday's game in San Diego. A magnetic resonance imaging test Monday revealed the ankle had sustained no more damage than it had going into the game, but the Broncos planned to exercise caution with their quarterback in the week leading up to their Sunday-night matchup with the 9-0 Chiefs.

Manning said Wednesday that if the game were that day, he'd play, and he vowed to be out there on Sunday. Thus, it came as no surprise that he rejoined the team Thursday, sporting a glove on his right hand. He didn't appear to be favoring one ankle or hobbled at all during the media viewing practice period.

The only player missing from practice was linebacker Danny Trevathan. Cornerback Champ Bailey, who practiced Wednesday for the first time since October, practiced once again, albeit in a limited role.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24523593/broncos-peyton-manning-practices-chiefs-wears-glove

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 14m

Baby boom in the #Broncos locker room -- Mike Adams, Bubba Caldwell, Robert Ayers, Danny Trevathan, all new dads in last month. 4 baby girls

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 17m

Danny Trevathan is indeed excused for a darn-good personal reason -- he's about to be a dad.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 25m

Trevathan's absence could be non-football related, we'll see in 90 mins or so.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 26m

Nate Irving, Robert Ayers and Joel Dreessen were also back at practice today for #Broncos. Only guy I didn't see is Danny Trevathan.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 27m

From what we were allowed to see during individual drills in open part of practice, Peyton Manning looked like himself. Just w/ ankle tape.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 53m

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 53m

Peyton Manning going all Michael Jackson today -- one glove.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 55m

Oh look, Peyton Manning is practicing today for #broncos http://instagram.com/p/gtGfachwYX/

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2013, 02:31 PM
from article:

Late in last Sunday's win over the San Diego Chargers, Manning aggravated a right ankle injury when hit low by defensive end Corey Liuget. He was taken for an MRI on Monday morning that showed no new damage to a high ankle sprain originally suffered Oct. 13 against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Manning had his right ankle twisted awkwardly by Chargers linebacker Larry English earlier in Sunday's game.

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9976216/peyton-manning-back-practice-field-denver-broncos

So, the Chargers got Peyton's ankle twice

Ravage!!!
11-14-2013, 02:54 PM
The Chiefs will be going after the ankle, that is for sure.

But as far as Champ goes..... am I the only one that has forgotten that he's "not" on the field?

Captain Speardog
11-14-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm more worried about Kuper and Dreesen missing practice, because we may need the former and definitely need the latter, and it's inconceivable a competitor like Manning misses the KC game. He needs less practice than anyone on our offense (certainly less than Osweiler) and we all knew he was hurt Sunday so would probably miss some practice this week. I'd rather he take time to heal than get practice Osweiler needs far more. Unless our offense is radically different next week it shouldn't matter, and even then it'll probably just be more runs against a weak run D, so big deal; Manning knows how to handoff.

Kuper? Did you watch the Colts game when he played? He was horrible. I don't think he sees the field again the rest of the year. Dreesen would be a big loss. I think Denver might run more two TE sets and run Moreno down KC's throat.

ShaneFalco
11-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Yall need to stop doubting Champ. I bet he gets a pick this game.

Captain Speardog
11-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Yall need to stop doubting Champ. I bet he gets a pick this game.

I never doubt Champ. Having a healthy Champ on one side and DRC on the other and Harris in the slot will make up one of the best secondary's in the NFL. Whether Champ comes back this week or two weeks from now he will improve this team

Denver Native (Carol)
11-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 30m

Everyone on Broncos active roster is participating in practice today, including the new papas, @1_900_ayersjr + @Grindin_59 .

VonDoom
11-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Per Andrew Mason, Champ is doubtful, Irving is questionable, everyone else probable

Denver Native (Carol)
11-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Interim head coach / defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio talks to the press after Friday's practice.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Del-Rio-Broncos-Ready-for-KC/f4f3908c-ed61-4ee1-ae11-0a5907b16461

Denver Native (Carol)
11-15-2013, 03:30 PM
For the first time in weeks, not a single Broncos player missed practice Friday. It was the team's last practice before their Saturday walkthrough and Sunday game against the Chiefs.

Linebacker Danny Trevathan, who missed Thursday's practice for personal reasons, returned, and Peyton Manning was out there for the second straight day after missing Wednesday. Cornerback Champ Bailey also continued his streak of three straight practices, although he worked with the scout team on each of those days.

The Broncos are preparing not only for their most challenging opponent of 2013 in the Chiefs, but also for their coldest game yet. Although the forecast is improving — the high Sunday has increased to 47 degrees, and the precipitation looks to be gone by afternoon — this will still be a night game in November in Colorado.

A full injury report will be released later Friday.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24531111/broncos-practice-sees-all-hands-deck-preparation-9

Joel
11-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Kuper? Did you watch the Colts game when he played? He was horrible. I don't think he sees the field again the rest of the year. Dreesen would be a big loss. I think Denver might run more two TE sets and run Moreno down KC's throat.
I did, and heard he was limping afterward—but who else do we have if ANY interior linemen's hurt even a few plays? A 7th round FA castoff, or a former starting T. That's it. Kuper was out there for a reason, same reason he started the last half of last season (including the playoff game) on the piece of shredded jagged metal that once held his ankle together. Yet when healthy he's an excellent pass blocker, if no better than average run blocking. He doesn't get much push, but also doesn't let guys into the backfield like Beadles.

So, yeah, unless there's another starting quality G out there we can sign if someone gets hurt, I want Kuper healthy. Plus he's been a loyal and productive Bronco since we drafted him, taking a pay cut to stay on the team this year. I want all our guys healthy on principle, but Kupes has earned a lot more appreciation than he usually gets as the only solid G we had before we signed Vasquez.

Simple Jaded
11-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Sounds like the Broncos need to start having sex standing up.

Simple Jaded
11-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Well, getting carried isn't especially athletic (even if it was a staple of unconscious football players until 1905. :tongue:) But they aren't bad if you like 'em leggy. Finns have something of a reputation though, deservedly or not; a Finn I know on another forum once commented to the effect graduating HS in Finland ensures the ability to also graduate college, drink ones weight in alcohol and operate a machine gun.

That explains things, quarter Irish and half Finn. I also like women with legs, two legs, to be exact.

Captain Speardog
11-16-2013, 05:16 AM
I did, and heard he was limping afterward—but who else do we have if ANY interior linemen's hurt even a few plays? A 7th round FA castoff, or a former starting T. That's it. Kuper was out there for a reason, same reason he started the last half of last season (including the playoff game) on the piece of shredded jagged metal that once held his ankle together. Yet when healthy he's an excellent pass blocker, if no better than average run blocking. He doesn't get much push, but also doesn't let guys into the backfield like Beadles.

So, yeah, unless there's another starting quality G out there we can sign if someone gets hurt, I want Kuper healthy. Plus he's been a loyal and productive Bronco since we drafted him, taking a pay cut to stay on the team this year. I want all our guys healthy on principle, but Kupes has earned a lot more appreciation than he usually gets as the only solid G we had before we signed Vasquez.

Walton is back if a guard gets hurt you leave Kuper on the bench move Ramirez to guard and Walton to center. That is what I would do. It doesn't look like Kuper can play anymore.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-16-2013, 05:36 AM
Walton is back if a guard gets hurt you leave Kuper on the bench move Ramirez to guard and Walton to center. That is what I would do. It doesn't look like Kuper can play anymore.

Then you have two new players at a position. I'd move Walton to OG. Manny might be a better center anyway.