PDA

View Full Version : Broncos ask league to review Corey Liuget's hit on Manning.

CrazyHorse
11-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Given that every hit on an NFL quarterback seems to draw a penalty, San Diego defensive end Corey Liuget's low hit that hurt Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning seemed illegal when it happened.

The Broncos think it was outside of the rules, and want the NFL to look into it.

"We turned it in," Broncos interim coach Jack Del Rio said during his media conference, via the Denver Post. "We'll let the league determine. We thought it was questionable and they'll provide their answer."

Manning will "definitely" play this week, Del Rio said, but Sunday's game took a toll. He took a few hits and aggravated a high ankle sprain. Liuget's hit obviously affected him.

Manning stayed down for a few moments after Liuget hit him on the right knee. He tried to get up but then went down again, although he didn't end up missing any plays.

source:http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/corey-liuget-hit-peyton-manning-dirty-broncos-ask-233435542--nfl.html

Joel
11-12-2013, 10:58 AM
The Yahoo story quotes the NFL Rules DIGEST, but the Digest is NOT the rulebook: It's a simplified SUMMARY of the rulebook; the RULEBOOK says,
A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him."
Mike Periera et al. have said it was legal because Liuget initially hit Manning above the knee, but Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9(e) explicitly says that's IRRELEVANT: http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_2013_Player_Conduct.pdf

I'm tempted to email Yahoo a correction, but I don't want to deal with Yahoo. :tongue: Quoting the Digest instead of the ACTUAL rulebook though is like quoting a HS government textbook instead of the Constitution: It's good enough for a general grasp of the concepts, because that's all it's intended for, but it is NOT identical in text—and therefore not in authority—to the law.

Joel
11-12-2013, 11:22 AM
The Bolts seem to now be claiming Ramirez blocked Liuget into Manning (which would make it legal,) but it's hard to make the case Ramirez pushed him back rather than out, and it definitely looks like Liuget lunged under his own power at a QB with both feet on the ground. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000279801/Peyton-Manning-slow-to-get-up That's a penalty under the letter of the law, but apparently not in Denver, where defenders only get flagged for hitting QBs or receivers when WE have the ball.

Northman
11-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Luiget wasnt blocked into Manning. You can clearly see him diving at Peyton.

NorthernLights
11-12-2013, 11:57 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/files/2013/11/liuget1.jpg

Army Bronco
11-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Looks legal to me. I originally thought it was a cheap shot at full speed. But I bet if it was Brady getting hit then regardless its a penalty.. lol

Joel
11-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Looks legal to me. I originally thought it was a cheap shot at full speed. But I bet if it was Brady getting hit then regardless its a penalty.. lol
He hit Manning below the knees, and wasn't blocked into him: He clearly made a move forward and to the side under his own power AFTER Ramirez broke contact with him. The rule says that's Roughing the Passer. If he'd just grabbed him (like Miller did on Rivers earlier) it wouldn't be; there's a separate rule covering that. But HITTING a QB below the knee, even if initial contact is above the knee, is a penalty unless blocked into him, and Liuget wasn't. Geez, if Vickerson had done that he'd be gone for the rest of the season.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-12-2013, 07:15 PM
I think the Broncos need to ask the league to review it every time he gets hit below the waste, even if there's a low probability for a fine. It seems as though teams have been hitting him low a lot lately and the Broncos need to be proactive. Maybe next time an official will throw a flag. I firmly believe there were one or two hits in the Jags game that should have been flagged.

Nomad
11-12-2013, 07:21 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the hit from this photo.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-12-2013, 07:25 PM

I think it looked worst than it was because Manning got up limping. Having his legs wrapped up probably aggravated the injury. However, I still think the Broncos should complain to the league office.....squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Nomad
11-12-2013, 07:27 PM
I think it looked worst than it was because Manning got up limping. Having his legs wrapped up probably aggravated the injury. However, I still think the Broncos should complain to the league office.....squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Be careful how loud you squeak, because the league may watch the BRONCOS pass rushers with a closer eye as well.

Joel
11-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Try the video; all the photo shows is a hit above the knees, which isn't illegal—until it goes BELOW the knees, which is completely illegal, even when initial contact is above the knee. The rule says that point blank.

Be careful how loud you squeak, because the league may watch the BRONCOS pass rushers with a closer eye as well.
Yeah, because they TOTALLY weren't already doing that, right, Big Vick? ;)

NorthernLights
11-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Joel-Explain to me how he is suppose to hit above he knee and as they are going to the ground, not touch below the knee?

Joel
11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Joel-Explain to me how he is suppose to hit above he knee and as they are going to the ground, not touch below the knee?
Ask the NFL; it's their rule.