PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning MRI shows no new damage; Broncos QB "will play Sunday"

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2013, 02:16 PM
"Peyton Manning absolutely will play Sunday against the Chiefs," an NFL source said Monday morning.

A magnetic resonance imaging exam showed an aggravation of Manning's right high ankle sprain, but no new significant damage.

Manning might be held back from some practice time this week — as he was prior to the game against the Washington Redskins three weeks ago — but he will play in the Broncos' AFC West Division showdown Sunday night against the Kansas City Chiefs at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24499761/peyton-manning-mri-shows-no-new-damage-broncos

MOtorboat
11-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Was there really any doubt?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2013, 02:19 PM

They had to see if there was further damage. If there had been, may have been a different story, based on the extent.

MOtorboat
11-11-2013, 02:19 PM
They had to see if there was further damage. If there had been, may have been a different story, based on the extent.

Cortisone is a fantastic drug.

:)

Az Snake
11-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Peyton would want to play if his leg was in a cast !!!
O-Line has to step up even more.
Opponents will try to target Manning's legs like they did yesterday.

BroncoWave
11-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Other than from those who worry too much about this kind of stuff, I don't think so. It seemed pretty obvious that there wasn't any serious damage.

MOtorboat
11-11-2013, 02:33 PM
And I'll leave this here:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/03/24/brady_rule_steps_taken_to_protect_qbs_knees/?page=full

Call the ******* penalty!

mouthofsouth
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
The Mannings are tough. It is in the genes. Archie, his Dad, played his senior year at Ole Miss with a broken arm in a cast. It wasn't his throwing arm so what the heck? Remember Peyton's commercial: "Rub some dirt on it."

mouthofsouth
11-11-2013, 02:41 PM
I do believe the officials will be on the lookout for intentional attacks on Peyton's legs. I expect to see some penalties Sunday night and that should put a stop to it.

PatriotsGuy
11-11-2013, 03:12 PM
And I'll leave this here:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/03/24/brady_rule_steps_taken_to_protect_qbs_knees/?page=full

Call the ******* penalty!

And I'll leave this here
On the Bengals' first pass play, Carson Palmer threw a 66-yard pass to rookie receiver Chris Henry. It was the longest completion in Bengals playoff history. After Palmer released the pass, Steelers defensive tackle Kimo von Oelhoffen was pushed from behind while diving for Palmer, violently wrenching Palmer's knee, and he was forced to leave the game. A magnetic resonance imaging test revealed a severe knee injury, thought to be career-threatening at the time; Palmer had tears of both the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments as well as cartilage and meniscus damage. Coincidentally, Henry himself suffered a knee injury on the same play, though far less severe. Having knocked Palmer out of the game the Steelers went on to win 31–17.
During the off-season, the league's Rules Committee modified the rule regarding low hits on quarterbacks. The new rule prohibited defenders from hitting a passer at or below the knee unless they are blocked into him. The so-called "Carson Palmer Rule" now requires that defenders take every opportunity to avoid hitting a quarterback at or below the knees when the quarterback is in a defenseless position looking to throw with both feet on the ground.

That was after the 2005 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Palmer

Northman
11-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I do believe the officials will be on the lookout for intentional attacks on Peyton's legs. I expect to see some penalties Sunday night and that should put a stop to it.

If they are not than Del Rio needs to say something to the league beforehand. That no call BS was exactly that.

Northman
11-11-2013, 03:14 PM
And I'll leave this here

That was after the 2005 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Palmer

Brady rule, Carson rule, who cares. It needs to be called fairly across the league regardless of whom it was named after.

PatriotsGuy
11-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Brady rule, Carson rule, who cares.

People that enjoy accuracy. The Brady "rule" was just an addendum to the existing rule.

Northman
11-11-2013, 03:45 PM
People that enjoy accuracy. The Brady "rule" was just an addendum to the existing rule.

Perhaps, but i think its pretty clear that since 2007 Brady is the poster child for whining every time a defender falls near his feet. Carson may have been where the rule began its inception but Brady has been about the only QB to actually benefit from the rule since then so in a way, MO's post makes sense.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2013, 03:56 PM
If they are not than Del Rio needs to say something to the league beforehand. That no call BS was exactly that.

Del Rio is talking now, and he said they did turn that into the league, and ask for clarification.

Mortensen just stated that he was told that the league reviewed it, and found it to be a LEGITIMATE HIT

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 5m

Jack Del Rio says Broncos asked NFL to review low hit on P Manning. Source says prelim review ON Liuget's hit was within rules.

Army Bronco
11-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Brady rule, Carson rule, who cares.

People that enjoy accuracy. The Brady "rule" was just an addendum to the existing rule.But Brady is the leagues biggest cry baby so we expect a rule to be named after him ;-)

Northman
11-11-2013, 04:24 PM

Jack Del Rio says Broncos asked NFL to review low hit on P Manning. Source says prelim review ON Liuget's hit was within rules.

Good.

Northman
11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Del Rio is talking now, and he said they did turn that into the league, and ask for clarification.

Mortensen just stated that he was told that the league reviewed it, and found it to be a LEGITIMATE HIT

Ghey......

MOtorboat
11-11-2013, 04:30 PM

I guess I don't understand the rule, then.

NightTrainLayne
11-11-2013, 04:49 PM
I guess I don't understand the rule, then.

I didn't back up the DVR to watch the play again. Was the defender being engaged in a block as he went to the lower legs? That would make the hit "legal".

Northman
11-11-2013, 04:51 PM
I didn't back up the DVR to watch the play again. Was the defender being engaged in a block as he went to the lower legs? That would make the hit "legal".

There was a Olineman around but Luiget had pretty much beaten him and dove at Manning's legs. Ive seen other circumstances where even if a defender is crawling he would get penalized.

Northman
11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Actually you can see it at the 3 minute mark. He wasnt engaged with an lineman when he dove at his legs.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/NFLN-Broncos-vs-Chargers-Highlights/8c616a1c-6ac9-4e4b-bf13-ee008b2d7858

MOtorboat
11-11-2013, 04:55 PM

I haven't seen it a second time yet, either. It is also possible that he got Manning in the thighs first, which would not constitute a penalty, I guess.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
11-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Klis posted on twitter that it had to do with the initial contact of the hit. Since the initial contact on the hit was from the helmet to the thigh, it is legal.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

it's about as dangerous as it gets while staying within rules. Goes to show no matter how many safety rules, it's still dangerous game.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Tom Brady Rule is about contact below QB knee.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Corey Liuget wrapped below the knee and drove Peyton Manning back. But initial hit is key and first contact was helmet above the knee.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Talked to someone in NFL office. Corey Liuget hit on Peyton Manning was legal hit because initial contact was to his thigh. Above the knee.

BigDaddyBronco
11-11-2013, 05:58 PM
So punch him in the gut and then dive at his ankles. Got it.

All I know is that next time this happens, I want to see Manny do an elbow drop on the guys arm or leg. How bout them apples, bitch!

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2013, 06:10 PM
So punch him in the gut and then dive at his ankles. Got it.

All I know is that next time this happens, I want to see Manny do an elbow drop on the guys arm or leg. How bout them apples, bitch!

That was my thought - so, it's OK to take out someone for the year messing up their knee or ankle, as long as the first hit is above the knee.

I sure hope someone can explain the logic on this one.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2013, 06:19 PM
from article:

Liuget was coming off a Manny Ramirez block before he delivered a crunching tackle to Manning's legs as the Broncos' quarterback delivered a game-clinching, first-down completion to Demaryius Thomas with 1:44 remaining Sunday in the Broncos' 28-20 win against San Diego.

Liuget was not flagged on the play by referee Tony Corrente. A league official told the Denver Post on Monday the hit was legal because Liuget initially made contact with his helmet to Manning's thigh area. Liuget wrapped his arms below the knee, but it was the initial contact above the knee that made it legal, according to the league.

The other part is the force of the contact. And the Broncos can't be blamed if they believe Liuget was a tad late with his hit and seemed to target Manning's knee.

"No question it was forceful," said Mike Pereira, former NFL supervisor of officials who is now a rules analyst for Fox Sports. "The contact itself was forceful. It wasn't the reach-out-with-his-arms swipe. Could he have avoided it coming off that block? That's going to be the question."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24499761/peyton-manning-mri-shows-no-new-damage-broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 27m

Good nugget from @MikePereira just now on @FFD: The guy from the Broncos who called Dean Blandino about the low hit on Peyton? John Fox.
Retweeted by Andrew Mason

wayninja
11-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Cool, I hope Osweiler is ready to go vs the Pats.

MOtorboat
11-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

it's about as dangerous as it gets while staying within rules. Goes to show no matter how many safety rules, it's still dangerous game.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Tom Brady Rule is about contact below QB knee.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Corey Liuget wrapped below the knee and drove Peyton Manning back. But initial hit is key and first contact was helmet above the knee.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Talked to someone in NFL office. Corey Liuget hit on Peyton Manning was legal hit because initial contact was to his thigh. Above the knee.

So, he led with his helmet? Penalty...

:coffee:

Joel
11-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 27m

Good nugget from @MikePereira just now on @FFD: The guy from the Broncos who called Dean Blandino about the low hit on Peyton? John Fox.
Retweeted by Andrew Mason
I saw Pereira say the hit was legal because initial contact was above the knee. Except (from the article on the Brady Rule,)

The fifth provision of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 12 (roughing the passer) says that: "A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him."
The rules are just different for Denver; that's why Vickerson gets called in back-to-back games for brushing past a QB who flops, but Liuget can kneecap PFM all he wants, any time after the ball's thrown. Our DBs get called for PI, Illegal Contact and Defensive Holding, yet opposing DBs can jam "within 5 yds of the line" for 10-15 yds downfield.

mouthofsouth
11-12-2013, 03:59 PM
I scream at the T.V. all the time during any game I am watching when a defensive player gets called for questionable illegal hits on offensive players, including quarterbacks. It seems most of the time the officials won't let defensive players do anything, and are completely unreasonable with their calls. But I noticed twice in this game that Chargers players deliberately seemed to go for Peyton's lower limbs several times, blatantly attempting to disable him. And no call. At the very least, officials, be CONSISTENT!

Joel
11-12-2013, 06:01 PM
I scream at the T.V. all the time during any game I am watching when a defensive player gets called for questionable illegal hits on offensive players, including quarterbacks. It seems most of the time the officials won't let defensive players do anything, and are completely unreasonable with their calls. But I noticed twice in this game that Chargers players deliberately seemed to go for Peyton's lower limbs several times, blatantly attempting to disable him. And no call. At the very least, officials, be CONSISTENT!
This is my whole complaint: I don't care if they call it loose or tight as long as they call it the SAME for EVERYONE. Don't flag our DBs for draping an arm for a split second, then let theirs jam our WRs "at the line" 10-15 yds downfield. Don't flag Vickerson (twice) for 15 and an automatic first because he brushed past a QB who flopped, then let guys cut block OUR QB. Pick a Bronco and ride it.