PDA

View Full Version : Quentin Jammer gets surprise start, unbeknown to Jack Del Rio

Denver Native (Carol)
11-10-2013, 10:21 PM
SAN DIEGO — Jack Del Rio, the Broncos' interim head coach, did not start Quentin Jammer at cornerback Sunday against San Diego. Del Rio, the Broncos' defensive coordinator, did not start Jammer for the first time this season. And yet, on the first play of the game, there Jammer was, as he had been so many times before at Qualcomm Stadium, starting at cornerback.

"My man right here gave me the start today," Jammer said, nodding to the tall, skinny guy dressing at the next locker over. "It was his call. Dominique gave me the start."

Without notifying Del Rio, or the Broncos' 10 other defensive starters, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, the team's usual No. 1 right cornerback, paid tribute to Jammer by giving away his starting assignment against his former team.

"I grew up watching guys like Jam and Champ Bailey," Rodgers-Cromartie said. "I thought it was only right he start in a place where he played for such a long time."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24496527/quentin-jammer-gets-surprise-start-unbeknown-jack-del

Poet
11-10-2013, 10:27 PM
I think it was classy,but if it rubbed someone the wrong way I would understand it.

Joel
11-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Without notifying Del Rio, or the Broncos' 10 other defensive starters, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, the team's usual No. 1 right cornerback, paid tribute to Jammer by giving away his starting assignment against his former team. What a nice way for a guy in his first year with the team to surprise Del Rio in his first game as interim coach, against a division rival, no less. And, y'know, surprise the whole team. Can't imagine any downside.

"I didn't know what was going on," said Chris Harris, who started opposite Jammer at left corner. "I just knew I had the left. Sometimes I'm wondering what's going on. They had that schemed up."
Great; know what would've been even better? Bothering to tell ANYONE. For example, the rest of the D. Or the DC/interim head coach. Not, like, ASK HIS PERMISSION or anything, just notify him.

Holy Hell, when did we get a big enough lead over the rest of the division (let alone conference) to justify this kind of juvenile stuff? I'm glad it worked out OK, but... geez.... :rolleyes:

GEM
11-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I think it shows some maturity on Cromartie's part. I am surprise no ne knew about it, and will leave that to coach's to deal with. If it cost something in the game, it would open them up for criticism.

Captain Speardog
11-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Wow, coach DRC making the moves.... There will be hell to pay for this!! LOL

DenBronx
11-10-2013, 10:50 PM
It was a classy move by DRC and just a way to show respect. Jammer didnt play the whole game, just got to start the first series. I bet Phillips and Jammer enjoyed beating their former team today.

Timmy!
11-10-2013, 11:06 PM
What a nice way for a guy in his first year with the team to surprise Del Rio in his first game as interim coach, against a division rival, no less. And, y'know, surprise the whole team. Can't imagine any downside.

Great; know what would've been even better? Bothering to tell ANYONE. For example, the rest of the D. Or the DC/interim head coach. Not, like, ASK HIS PERMISSION or anything, just notify him.

Holy Hell, when did we get a big enough lead over the rest of the division (let alone conference) to justify this kind of juvenile stuff? I'm glad it worked out OK, but... geez.... :rolleyes:

Settle down Beavis. It's not like he pulled a Rahim Moore out there.

Joel
11-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Settle down Beavis. It's not like he pulled a Rahim Moore out there.
I'm glad it worked out okay, but it very easily could've given SD a TD to start the game. I'm not even saying he shouldn't have done it, but without telling Del Rio or the rest of the D? It's a team game, and thus important for all the defensive players to know who's out there with them and what to expect (especially in the secondary, where they have to cover for each other and hand off assignments a lot.)

It's just, DRC's not a coach: He's a former first rounder who had a few good years then disappeared after being trade for Kolb, and is trying to resurrect his career in his first year with Denver. This ain't the way.

Ravage!!!
11-11-2013, 02:56 AM
Personally, I don't like it.

If they wanted to give a tribute, then talk to the HC about it. Don't just run some guy out onto the field that hasn't basically dressed out for weeks to give "tribute." If its that important, inform the coach. I get that some think it was a "classy" move from DRC, and I can see that it was meant purely as a sign of respect. But putting people onto the field to 'start' without the HC even knowing, isn't the right way to go about it.

Captain Speardog
11-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Personally, I don't like it.

If they wanted to give a tribute, then talk to the HC about it. Don't just run some guy out onto the field that hasn't basically dressed out for weeks to give "tribute." If its that important, inform the coach. I get that some think it was a "classy" move from DRC, and I can see that it was meant purely as a sign of respect. But putting people onto the field to 'start' without the HC even knowing, isn't the right way to go about it.

I agree and that is why there will be hell to pay. You went behind your temporary coach's back leading to the question. Would DRC have done this if Fox was still here?

Jammer has gone games on the inactive list obliviously Denver thinks they have better alternatives out there than Jammer. I am glad Jammer played well and everything worked out but if he would have gotten burned for a TD it would have been a serious mess.

PatriotsGuy
11-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Nope, don't like it. Clear it with coach first.

claymore
11-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Either the coach knew, or DRC has zero respect for JDR. Wonder if this would have happened with Fox.

BroncoWave
11-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Either the coach knew, or DRC has zero respect for JDR. Wonder if this would have happened with Fox.

When JDR was asked about it during his press conference, you could tell he had absolutely no idea.

claymore
11-11-2013, 09:36 AM
When JDR was asked about it during his press conference, you could tell he had absolutely no idea.

Damn. I hate to say it, but I saw Defensive players taking plays off as well. I dont think this defense has much discipline. Vickerson is a great example.

Or I could be getting old and Naggy. :)

Dapper Dan
11-11-2013, 10:36 AM
It doesn't matter who is where. Each player has his assignment. Whoever you are, just be where you're suppose to be on the field and doing what you're suppose to do. If a player is switched out, it doesn't matter. You still have the same job. But I think Harris already knows that and is used to it.

Does the HC not pay attention to the personnel? I'm genuinely curious.

Dzone
11-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! ...

UnderArmour
11-11-2013, 10:54 AM
They didn't score. Non-issue.

PatriotsGuy
11-11-2013, 10:58 AM
They didn't score. Non-issue.

What if they did? It's an issue and not professional, in my opinion.

SR
11-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Damn. I hate to say it, but I saw Defensive players taking plays off as well. I dont think this defense has much discipline. Vickerson is a great example. Or I could be getting old and Naggy. :)

You're absolutely right. Most of the team plays lazy, undisciplined football at times. Very frustrating to watch.

SR
11-11-2013, 11:27 AM

The "what if" game is for five year olds.

CoachChaz
11-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Funny. I brought up the lack of discipline under the Fox regime last year and was completely crucified for it.

SR
11-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Funny. I brought up the lack of discipline under the Fox regime last year and was completely crucified for it.

I noticed it at times last year but it's pretty evident all the time this year. Fox ran some pretty undisciplined teams in Carolina as well.

PatriotsGuy
11-11-2013, 11:41 AM
The "what if" game is for five year olds.

What if I punch you in the face?

PatriotsGuy
11-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Oh, I poured this gasoline by an open flame but it didn't catch fire/explode so it's okay.

Ravage!!!
11-11-2013, 12:02 PM
It doesn't matter who is where. Each player has his assignment. Whoever you are, just be where you're suppose to be on the field and doing what you're suppose to do. If a player is switched out, it doesn't matter. You still have the same job. But I think Harris already knows that and is used to it.

It does matter because there is a reason you have to play well enough to get on the field. If you don't, you aren't the best to be there. As far as the HC knowing the personnel, he can't POSSIBLY be counting and checking names when teams go in and out in droves....even on the first play of the game. These are grown men, and they know their "package" for which they are in the game and when they aren't. That's the point of practices, and why teams get caught with either 10 or 12 players on the field.

SR
11-11-2013, 12:02 PM
What if I punch you in the face?

I know that'll never happen so I wouldn't ever waste time thinking about it

PatriotsGuy
11-11-2013, 12:05 PM
I know that'll never happen so I wouldn't ever waste time thinking about it

Never say never! What if I bought you a beer, what then? The possibilities are endless!!

SR
11-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Never say never! What if I bought you a beer, what then? The possibilities are endless!!

What if...same same

jhildebrand
11-11-2013, 02:05 PM

Not only undisciplined but lazy especially when it comes to tackling and gap assignments. It is easy to gloss over things like this in the regular season against the bottom half of the league teams. In the playoffs it can burn you. As for the Jammer incident, it is a sign of no respect for JDR as a HC but also DC. He is still the DC. JDR didn't catch it but who ever the unit coach is CERTAINLY should have.

The poor gap discipline is getting this team gashed on run D. For some reason Shanny abandoned the run against Denver way too early. San Diego was gashing the team yesterday too.

LTC Pain
11-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I will take Jammer over T. Carter every day of the week and twice on Sunday!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h

JDR said it was "really cool" that DBs wanted to honor Jammer by giving him the start. "I did ask, in the future, if they would alert me."

CoachChaz
11-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Ask? Screw that...DEMAND!!!

NightTrainLayne
11-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Ask? Screw that...DEMAND!!!

Who knows what he said behind closed doors. In public, I like that he's trying to minimize it for the press. No need to have a big distraction heading into our biggest game of the year so far.

CoachChaz
11-11-2013, 05:30 PM
How the hell would that be a distraction. My team did something without telling me...I told them they need to let me know next time. Simple.

TXBRONC
11-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Who knows what he said behind closed doors. In public, I like that he's trying to minimize it for the press. No need to have a big distraction heading into our biggest game of the year so far.

As firery of guy as Del Rio it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he was very stern with them in private.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
11-11-2013, 05:48 PM
You know, Jammer didn't play too bad in that game. He had some tight coverage on a couple 3rd downs that got our defense off the field. Call it a silver lining.

DenBronx
11-11-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't know why anyone would have a problem with this. DRC retained his spot after the initial series.

The RBs did the same thing earlier in the year with rock, paper, scissors.

SR
11-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't know why anyone would have a problem with this. DRC retained his spot after the initial series. The RBs did the same thing earlier in the year with rock, paper, scissors.

The rock, paper, scissors thing didn't matter. Fox even said so.

Nomad
11-11-2013, 07:31 PM
I trust Del Rio handled the situation 'in house' with a stern hand, and then, told the media what he did. Media and the couch QBs don't need to know everything that is said.

Joel
11-11-2013, 09:14 PM

No, they play as a unit, so it's critical everyone knows who all the other players on the field with him are, what their capabilities are and that they'll be where they're supposed to be just like in practice. You don't freakin' SURPRISE your whole D and entire coaching staff at the start of a road divisional game when you're a game out of first behind an unbeaten team. We have NO margin for error right now.

It was stupid, not that they did it, but that they did it without telling any coaches or teammates. Just because it didn't cost us anything makes it no less stupid; it just means the Bolts aren't as good as the Chefs.

I will take Jammer over T. Carter every day of the week and twice on Sunday!!!
No argument there, but not really the point.

MOtorboat
11-11-2013, 09:15 PM
No, they play as a unit, so it's critical everyone knows who all the other players on the field with him are, what their capabilities are and that they'll be where they're supposed to be just like in practice. You don't freakin' SURPRISE your whole D and entire coaching staff at the start of a road divisional game when you're a game out of first behind an unbeaten team. We have NO margin for error right now.

It was stupid, not that they did it, but that they did it without telling any coaches or teammates. Just because it didn't cost us anything makes it no less stupid; it just means the Bolts aren't as good as the Chefs.

Good news, then. We don't have any former Chiefs on defense.

No blood, no foul.

Joel
11-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Good news, then. We don't have any former Chiefs on defense.

No blood, no foul.
Corey Liuget surely prefers that version of the old saying, but it seems a stretch. But, yeah, it's not a big deal because it wasn't a big deal, provided it doesn't bespeak a deeper systemic discipline problem.

It was still stupid, unprofessional and disrespectful to both the coaching staff and the rest of the players. When Fox went down many names and credentials were kicked around as his potential temporary successor. "Free agent first round flameout we pulled from the bargain bin last summer" was not among them. ;)

Poet
11-11-2013, 09:46 PM
To be fair to Cromartie, he wasn't a flameout. Everyone knows that forcing a corner to play a style that isn't their forte isn't a great idea.

Joel
11-11-2013, 10:52 PM
To be fair to Cromartie, he wasn't a flameout. Everyone knows that forcing a corner to play a style that isn't their forte isn't a great idea.
That's a fair point, but he did pretty much drop off the face of the Earth in Philly, else he wouldn't have been available on the FA market. He's not a coach, regardless, and the point was he should at least wait till he's been on the roster more than half a season before impersonating one. Ask the coaches if it's cool, and if they're fine with it, great. They don't spend all week game planning and practicing just for one guy to secretly change the starting line up at the last minute.

Poet
11-11-2013, 10:53 PM
That's a fair point, but he did pretty much drop off the face of the Earth in Philly, else he wouldn't have been available on the FA market. He's not a coach, regardless, and the point was he should at least wait till he's been on the roster more than half a season before impersonating one. Ask the coaches if it's cool, and if they're fine with it, great. They don't spend all week game planning and practicing just for one guy to secretly change the starting line up at the last minute.

I believe he had one solid year in Philly and then one awful year in Philly. It's a moot point though, because I agree with you by and large

I believe you're on a roll with seven, seven solid posts.

Joel
11-12-2013, 02:52 AM
I believe he had one solid year in Philly and then one awful year in Philly. It's a moot point though, because I agree with you by and large.
His stats suggest it was the other way around; he only had 3 starts and a dozen tackles (plus a sack) in 2011, though his Wikipedia article notes "His play stepped up considerably in the last 4 games of the year." That's all I can go by with certainty; since he plays the same position as and is the cousin of Antonio Cromartie, whom we faced 8 times from 2006-2009, I can't trust my memory to distinguish between them. Either way though it wasn't enough to keep him on the team, which is fine by me; at $800,000 he was a steal for us as a CB (just not a coach,) and should get a bigger contract next year if he keeps playing as he has so far.

Poet
11-12-2013, 03:03 AM
His stats suggest it was the other way around; he only had 3 starts and a dozen tackles (plus a sack) in 2011, though his Wikipedia article notes "His play stepped up considerably in the last 4 games of the year." That's all I can go by with certainty; since he plays the same position as and is the cousin of Antonio Cromartie, whom we faced 8 times from 2006-2009, I can't trust my memory to distinguish between them. Either way though it wasn't enough to keep him on the team, which is fine by me; at $800,000 he was a steal for us as a CB (just not a coach,) and should get a bigger contract next year if he keeps playing as he has so far.

They blew that team up, though. Almost all of the "Dream Team," signings walked out. I believe they almost let Vick walk as well. I probably had that switched though.

Joel
11-12-2013, 03:12 AM
They blew that team up, though. Almost all of the "Dream Team," signings walked out. I believe they almost let Vick walk as well. I probably had that switched though.
Also a good point; can't really go by that. There's a moral to that story, too, just like with the '07 Cheatriots; as someone who grew up a fan of both TX teams and remembers the Bounty Bowls, it couldn't happen to a more deserving town. Kind of like "you don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinatti!" ;)

Poet
11-12-2013, 03:25 AM
Also a good point; can't really go by that. There's a moral to that story, too, just like with the '07 Cheatriots; as someone who grew up a fan of both TX teams and remembers the Bounty Bowls, it couldn't happen to a more deserving town. Kind of like "you don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinatti!" ;)

Football players and football teams are far from immutable. The variance that goes on in this game is just incredible. I often wonder if draft-picks who bust out on one team might have flourished on another. That sort of thing. Regardless, DRC was a guy that I wanted Cincinnati to sign. It goes back to that variance, really. Zimmer, who is my favorite defensive coordinator ever, turns once productive/struggling defensive backs back to their glory days. I thought DRC would have been a top five corner in Cincinnati.

Dapper Dan
11-12-2013, 09:08 AM
So here's the big question. Is DRC a bully?

SR
11-12-2013, 09:38 AM
So here's the big question. Is DRC a bully?

Go on.

Joel
11-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Football players and football teams are far from immutable. The variance that goes on in this game is just incredible. I often wonder if draft-picks who bust out on one team might have flourished on another. That sort of thing. Regardless, DRC was a guy that I wanted Cincinnati to sign. It goes back to that variance, really. Zimmer, who is my favorite defensive coordinator ever, turns once productive/struggling defensive backs back to their glory days. I thought DRC would have been a top five corner in Cincinnati.
The Eagles are a train wreck. It's hardly shocking DRC declined on a team that thought Michael Vick a franchise QB worth $100 million; that's PFM money, and apparently even they are having second thoughts now. It's another reason to wonder just how good the Chefs really are under Reid, though I don't know if he made many personnel decisions in Philly or just got stuck with those of others.

I dunno what's going on with ya'll though. After the SB I expected the Ravens to collapse just like Pitt (as they have) and Cincy to run away with the AFCN. Winning 3/4 against the NFCN plus beating the Pats would support that—if ya'll weren't losing DIVISION games. I know those are different since the teams (and crowds) know each other well (hence Wyches remark,) and both losses were on the road, but: Cleveland...? :confused: Good news is ya'll should still win the AFCN and the Texans are in the toilet regardless, so no trip to Houston this year. Just, um... try to finish better than Indy or NE; you don't want the #4 seed.... ;)

LuisPastrana4
11-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Anyone coming to KC for the game here let me know!! I'm gonna have a big tailgate party before the game

BroncoNut
11-12-2013, 11:13 AM

it's really none of your damn business Pags. You should be worried about your messed up organization.

BroncoNut
11-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Anyone coming to KC for the game here let me know!! I'm gonna have a big tailgate party before the game

Ok Beef. I'll let you know

Joel
11-12-2013, 11:33 AM
it's really none of your damn business Pags. You should be worried about your messed up organization.
They're only an OT loss behind us, so they aren't TOO messed up now that their resident felon's in custody. Since we have the always-fun road game there after KC, I'm worried enough about them for both of us.

In this case he has the advantage of being right; DRC's not a coach, and there's an easy way to be sure: When COACHES change the starting line up at the last minute they TELL someone.

PatriotsGuy
11-12-2013, 11:42 AM

You want to fight? I'm entitled to my correct opinions thank you very much!

BroncoNut
11-12-2013, 12:39 PM
You want to fight? I'm entitled to my correct opinions thank you very much!

hey look I dont' want to fight you. why don't you just go back inside and cool off

Dapper Dan
11-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Go on.

He's making players play in his place. He's making decisions behind the coaches' backs. He's showing no remorse. These may be early signs of a bully. This needs to be addressed.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-12-2013, 07:33 PM
He's making players play in his place. He's making decisions behind the coaches' backs. He's showing no remorse. These may be early signs of a bully. This needs to be addressed.

His pick six a few weeks ago made women and children everywhere cry, to further support your point.